Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Cyrus wrote: »
    Why is that car within a tent within the garage.. :D

Price is a bit high but I don't think it is outrageous..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

PommieBast wrote: »
    Why is that car within a tent within the garage.. :D

Price is a bit high but I don't think it is outrageous..

It's in quarantine, it has the Corolla virus..................i'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Don’t forget the billions of securitization. The truth is you don’t have a clue who owns all the Irish debt and in reality it doesn’t make much of a difference.

With securitisation you’re still dealing with the bank you know and have a relationship with. Vulture funds are a completely different kettle of fish to “securitisation”.

Given that the Irish Times says the Ulster Bank loan book is c. €20 billion, it puts the €200 billion in loans the vulture funds purchased from Irish banks between 2012 and 2016 (not including the additional god knows how much billions they purchased between 2016 and 2020) into perspective IMO.

If the vulture funds do purchase the Ulster Bank loan book (as appears likely from the Irish Times article), the vulture funds will now indeed fully control the country formally known as Ireland IMO.

No ifs, no buts. They will 100% control Ireland IMO

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

They will 100% control Ireland IMO

No.

They will have a very large loan book.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It has nothing to do with the government it’s a commercial decision where NatWest can sell ulster and use cash to develop online offering in the UK. The only way the government could be involved is if they bought ulster bank.

Ok,, but not the way I interpreted it:
    While Ulster Bank has convinced the Central Bank of Ireland to allow it return €3.5 billion of surplus capital to NatWest in recent years, it is still being made to hold equity capital reserves equivalent to about 28 per cent of risk-weighted assets. That’s double what most banks, including NatWest, are targeting over the long term.

This has served to further suppress NatWest’s profit returns on the capital it has tied up in the Republic
    at a time when earnings are being squeezed amid low interest rates internationally and muted loan demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Timing belt

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ok,, but not the way I interpreted it:

They need to hold that amount of capital because of historical losses and is not imposed by the Irish government. It comes from a EU Directive following recommendations from the bank of international settlement. Lets not forget that Natwest got bailed out by the UK government for the tune of 60bn and 15bn of that went to ulster bank which was huge considering the size of Ulster compared to Natwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

“Ulster Bank set to exit Irish market after more than 160 yearsâ€

Ok. A couple of days of good debate coming here I reckon

Will this start a trend
    Banks are getting hammered by low interest rates plus revolut plus risky mortgage market

Villa05 wrote: »
    Will this start a trend
    Banks are getting hammered by low interest rates plus revolut plus risky mortgage market

None of the banks are making much money because of low interest rates and are cutting costs wherever they can. (I.e. redundancy).

Banks all over Europe need to consolidate but not much room in Ireland for banking consolidation.

Natwest should use the sale proceeds to buy a startup bank such as monzo or fin tech company to get a instant better online offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

from 2019, I imagine those folks would be interested in Ulster Bank loan books

Vulture fund adviser: "Ireland is the gift that keeps giving"

Link Group, which manages thousands of distressed mortgages for Cerberus Capital Management and other so-called vulture funds, has described Ireland as “the gift that keeps giving” and predicts that banks here could be forced to offload as many as eight more loan books over the next 18 months.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vulture-fund-adviser-ireland-is-the-gift-that-keeps-giving-jdxjhcvj0

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If banks here would grow a pair and push more people to actually pay their mortgages, we might not need vulture funds and high interest rates.

Plenty of stories of people living in very lavish houses and making no attempt whatsoever to meet repayments. Force sell the house and make them live in an affordable apartment like the rest of us.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Stark wrote: »
    If banks here would grow a pair and push more people to actually pay their mortgages, we might not need vulture funds and high interest rates.

Plenty of stories of people living in very lavish houses and making no attempt whatsoever to meet repayments. Force sell the house and make them live in an affordable apartment like the rest of us.

and there are probably more people in non lavish houses doing the same but the newspapers arent quite as interested in those :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

Seeing plenty of second-hand apartments hit the market in Dublin this week, most are asking below current market rate. Are we seeing more landlords leave the market?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

decreds wrote: »
    Seeing plenty of second-hand apartments hit the market in Dublin this week, most are asking below current market rate. Are we seeing more landlords leave the market?

There are a large cohort of non-FTBs out there desperately trying to trade up or down- who have been excluded from the market for a while, who are also in the equation- however, yes, I imagine a sizable majority of the apartments hitting the market are landlords getting the hell out of the sector.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

decreds wrote: »

If one of them would hurry up and come into my area and price range in the next day or two, that would be just the job. :D

I would say it's landlords, yes, you're probably right. The extended lockdowns etc seem to have sunk in that this stuff isn't going away overnight, and landlords are likely the only ones in a position to sell given the circumstances.

Almost all the ones I'm seeing pop up are BidX1 though, so sadly no use to most. I don't think this is the first trickle of a dam bursting necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's BidX1?

As an aside, a property I'm interested in (for the purposes of being my primary residence) is on auctioneera.ie . Not sure how sensible it is to buy a property through that route.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

None of the banks are making much money because of low interest rates and are cutting costs wherever they can. (I.e. redundancy).

Would the pensions/investment industry be in a similar predicament if returns of up to 3% expected to be the norm for the future

What's BidX1?

As an aside, a property I'm interested in (for the purposes of being my primary residence) is on auctioneera.ie . Not sure how sensible it is to buy a property through that route.

BidX1 auction properties in fairly big waves at a time, often sight unseen. There can sometimes be something funky going on with them, but you might not get a chance to check. Because of the auction rules you pretty much have to be a cash buyer and pay right away.

Auctioneera, despite the name, sell stuff by the traditional private treaty route it's just formatted like an auction from the buyer's point of view. I've only viewed with them once so far, grand but no frills as promised, you're left to your own devices and can mail in further queries after, the guy on site is basically a Deliveroo driver.

Would the pensions/investment industry be in a similar predicament if returns of up to 3% expected to be the norm for the future

If we stay in a low interest environment for a long time then companies will focus more on cost cutting as it will be easier to cut costs than grow income. With investments you will see people taking more risk to get a return and people will be less likely to invest in pensions as they will struggle to grow the pension pot and will have lower returns come retirement. All this makes property more attractive to invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

you would be mad not to buy now imo. rents are high and its much cheaper to buy. i was paying 1300pm and my mortgage on a similar place is 1100 and in 25 years ill own it

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    you would be mad not to buy now imo. rents are high and its much cheaper to buy. i was paying 1300pm and my mortgage on a similar place is 1100 and in 25 years ill own it

I mean... we'd all love to buy, it's not not-wanting to buy that's the problem I promise lol

• Advertisement

Vulture fund adviser: "Ireland is the gift that keeps giving"

That's been said quiet a few times by different businesses. We are indeed a great country for business at the expense of citizens of course
    Stark wrote:
    Blocked politically, surprise

jim-mcdee wrote:

High rents are the gun to the head to buy now.

That's been said quiet a few times by different businesses. We are indeed a great country for business at the expense of citizens of course

Blocked politically, surprise

High rents are the gun to the head to buy now.

If the venture funds didn’t buy the debt from the banks the government would have had to pump billions more into them so they wouldn’t fail the ECB stress tests so don’t see how it is at the expense of citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Interesting article on the Australian market, i think we're giving the "juicing" a go to!

The Australian property market is booming but the gains are based on 'massive' debts

Dr Cameron Murray, a post-doctoral fellow at the Henry Halloran Trust at the University of Sydney, said what is happening in Australia has to be seen in a global context.

“Our macro-stabilisation policy works by juicing house prices,” Murray said.

“This is a policy most central banks have adopted. Secondly, we’re just at that point in the cycle. The best parallel to the situation now is 2004. I think we’re in a very similar phase right now. Sydney boomed early, then it tapered off. Then the rest of the country shot up for four years in line with the broad global house price cycle.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/16/the-australian-property-market-is-booming-but-the-gains-are-based-on-massive-debts

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭hometruths

If the venture funds didn’t buy the debt from the banks the government would have had to pump billions more into them so they wouldn’t fail the ECB stress tests so don’t see how it is at the expense of citizens.

Or the banks could have repoed the properties and sold the security rather than the loan. And if they had done so in 08/9 when things turned to sh*t, they would not have had so many problem loans that they then needed to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

What's BidX1?

Why?

😎

schmittel wrote: »
    Or the banks could have repoed the properties and sold the security rather than the loan. And if they had done so in 08/9 when things turned to sh*t, they would not have had so many problem loans that they then needed to sell.

well it was sell the loans or sell a load of property, loans are probably easier sold.

well it was sell the loans or sell a load of property, loans are probably easier sold.

Ireland was the gift that kept on giving to the vulture funds because the banks didn’t have much choice. I’ve no doubt they would have preferred to repossess and sell the properties.

schmittel wrote: »
    Ireland was the gift that kept on giving to the vulture funds because the banks didn’t have much choice. I’ve no doubt they would have preferred to repossess and sell the properties.

maybe it would have been quite the undertaking,

personally id welcome easy repossession and non recourse lending, it would simplify things and make banks a lot more prudent in their lending.

maybe it would have been quite the undertaking,

personally id welcome easy repossession and non recourse lending, it would simplify things and make banks a lot more prudent in their lending.

Quite the undertaking indeed, but no doubt preferable.

Agree with you on easy repos and non recourse lending. If I were housing minister that would be amongst the first changes I’d make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

That Ulster bank thing, the implication of negative interest rates, an artificially propped up property market (imo) pandemic, employment, schools and so on...

Things are looking VERY ropey.

All individual interests aside, the government here and elsewhere (opposition or otherwise) have made a complete trollocks for the average persons situation. Things are just out of hand now with no semblance of control or intelligent direction, stuff is just "happening".

Just to add, the worst outcome I can see coming down the line is that the economy collapses (as opposed to a controlled, sensible correction), the average person is locked out of housing, and the door is left swinging wide open for foreign money to come in and buy up more of the country...which will sustain ridiculous prices while siphoning off Irish people's money to God knows where. A complete decline in nationhood that's exponential. It's worst case scenario and I wish I had faith that ANY government here would step into prevent it, but if anything they're likely to encourage it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement