Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Charlton has died

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

He was OK to play. He'd retired from international football but decided to make himself available for 1990 and Jack (understandably to be fair) decided to go with players that played the qualifiers.

He wouldn't have really suited Charlton's game either and I just think Jack never fancied him which is a shame because he was an elegant player with huge european experience that would have brought that touch of experience and class even at 34 which is hardly over the hill for a baller like Brady
    Brady as we all know, was a top class player, but to put it into context, when Ireland played the euro 88 qualifiers, he was a central part of the team, even at 32 years old, in the group, Ireland played Belgium, who had been beaten in the world Cup semi final in Mexico 86, by Argentina, more to the point, by Maradona, Scotland, who they beat 1-0 at hampden through a rare goal from Mark Lawrenson, Bulgaria, who were always handy, and reached the USA 94 semi finals, and Luxembourg who were rubbish. Ireland played a 2-2 draw in Brussels in the first game, think Frank Stapleton won a late penalty, was flattened by Pfaff, the Belgian keeper, sure Brady scored the penalty. But at the end Ireland chinned Bulgaria 2-0 in Landowne, a game which the Bulgarians entered needing to avoid defeat to qualify, Ireland completed their fixtures with that win, but Bulgaria had a game left, at home to Scotland, and only needed a draw to qualify, it was 0-0 for 87 minutes, and the Scots nicked it with a goal from Gary Mckay of Hearts, this put Ireland through, as one of only 8 qualifiers, as only the group winners got through. The sad part of this tale for Liam Brady, was that he was sent off late in the Bulgaria win, and would have missed the first 2 games in Euro 88 due to suspension. Because of this he was not included in the squad, and never really got a luck in after that, apologies for the long post, but this is my memory of the events, and it was 32 years ago, but I think most of this is true, also I mentioned Luxembourg were rubbish, but they actually scored first in Dublin, and Ireland scraped past them, 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

In my opinion Ireland under Jack Over Achieved

Honestly I think we seriously under achieved when you look at the available irish players 86-94 (especially in 1990 which was one of the poorest world cups ever. I honestly think to this day we had a chance of doing a Greece 2004 at Italia 90) but I don't want to drag the thread down.

I have my serious issues with the guy football wise but I respect anybody that manages our country in any code and especially an English world cup winner that had the nuts to break the mould to take on the job here at that moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Osamabumdipper

Rip big Jack. Inspired a generation of people to love football in Ireland

Honestly I think we seriously under achieved when you look at the available irish players 86-94 (especially in 1990 which was one of the poorest world cups ever. I honestly think to this day we had a chance of doing a Greece 2004 at Italia 90) but I don't want to drag the thread down.

I have my serious issues with the guy football wise but I respect anybody that manages our country in any code and especially an English world cup winner that had the nuts to break the mould to take on the job here at that moment in time.

Couldn't have done much more in that tournament to be honest, to lose 1-0 to the hosts in an away fixture was no disgrace, but I agree with you, could have happened, Maradona was waiting in the semis, they beat Italy on penalties in Naples, then a handy one in the final against the Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Why would you wrongly assume I would be wound up ?

Come on
    That miserable alco that did nothing in the game, the whiny Dunphy use to try make a name for himself slating Jack.

The muppet Dunphy thought Ireland should have been playing like Brazil with the players they had.

Judging from the post above you are, clearly, “wound up”.
    Dunphy was a nobody who thought the success and confidence of the players under Jack, meant they should have being playing like Brazil or something. A retarded notion.

In my opinion Ireland under Jack Over Achieved, and people like dunphy were using the Irish team, and Jack to promote their own agenda.

Now if it were someone like Giles being critical, I would take more notice, as he actually did things in the game.

Look, maybe you’ve just had a few too many and are taking your grief at Big Jack’s passing out on Dunphy? It’s not a good “look”, to be honest.

When you look at the players we had back then it does not “marry” well with the style of football we played. Some of those games are just dreadful to watch.

You could argue that with a different manager getting that team to play “beautiful” football that they’d have gone out in the group stages or, even, failed to qualify but that’s just hypothetical. They got further than anyone else by playing a style of football that bypassed a midfield combination who’s like we will, probably, never see again.

I, personally, feel that you should apologise for your use of the term “retarded”. It’s an ugly word and has no place on this site. I will accept the editing out of that part of your post in lieu of, said, apology.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

A World Cup is a cup tournament (obviously). You need a big dose of good fortune and circumstances to go your way to get the big prize. One bad result and you’re out.

We went into that tournament as the underdogs to put it mildly. We went out to the hosts. In Rome. In boiling temperatures. To a goal scored by a guy who was on a hot streak like no other. It’s hard to legislate for that and many’s the great manager who’s failed at the last hurdles in tournament football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are people forgetting who we were up against in those tournaments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

RIP to Charlton.

But, to be fair to him, he and some English/Dublin-born members of his squad didn't always have the respect for playing for Ireland. Respect I suspect they would have had had they played for "them across the water," as some of them would undoubtedly have preferred.

Pie eating contests, Guinness taps in the hotel at USA 94, turning up to matches drunk or hungover. The rot of mediocrity had set in and it didn't take until 2002 for the Corkonian Roy Keane to speak up and set the wheels of progress in motion.

A heartfelt tribute:
    I must say im genuinely saddened to hear of Jack's passing. While not the most puristic of managers in terms of football style, Jack created a great team spirit that transcended beyond the team, to the stands and far beyond.

I think the appeal of Jack is that he was an ordinary man with no airs or graces who liked the simple things in life such as fishing. He was like someone we felt we all knew even if we never met him in our lives. He was also a straight shooter, and from the many stories you hear of him he had a great way with people. He started a journey and brought every irish person along with him whether they were fans of football or not. When Ireland was a bleak place, Jack and the team lifted everyones spirit.

Its also notable how none of the players who played under him, addresed him as boss or gaffer. It was just simply, Jack.

RIP Jack :(

A not so heartfelt tribute:
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    RIP to Charlton.

But, to be fair to him, he and some English/Dublin-born members of his squad didn't always have the respect for playing for Ireland. Respect I suspect they would have had had they played for "them across the water," as some of them would undoubtedly have preferred.

Pie eating contests, Guinness taps in the hotel at USA 94, turning up to matches drunk or hungover. The rot of mediocrity had set in and it didn't take until 2002 for the Corkonian Roy Keane to speak up and set the wheels of progress in motion.

• Advertisement

RIP to Charlton.

It didn't take long for Roy Keane to walk his dog while the rest of the squad were in a penalty shootout against Spain, that man is a cartoon character and an idiot, wildly overrated bag of wind, he does some whinging for a so called hard man. This is about Jack Charlton, and his way of dealing with the players was man management, Big Paul McGrath was a genius who liked his soup, so Jack turned a blind eye, the squad were close knit and performed to the best of their ability, so I would have no issue with his management style, but I would have huge issues with the FAI suits, that's the one thing I agreed with Roy Keane on.

A heartfelt tribute:

A not so heartfelt tribute:

This is a discussion forum, not a book of remembrance.

I don’t think it should come to many as a surprise that the Ireland team of the 80s and 90s used to take the piss a bit when it came to match preparation, even compared with their contemporaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Are people forgetting who we were up against in those tournaments?

Euro 88. Not like the Euros now(granted you didn’t have the break up of the Eastern block). Only 8 teams qualified. That was a monumental achievement in Irish sport and we more than held our own, were unlucky to get knocked out by the brilliant Dutch.

Yes he played long ball football and kept the team as high up the pitch as possible(a very modern thing now the high press).

Yes we had some quality players, one or two bordering on world class but we had quality top flight players before he arrived also and they did little or nothing on the international scene.

It may not have been pretty and it can be argued that the players were there to play prettier football than they did but his remit was to get results.

He did that in spades. It can’t be overestimated the achievements to qualify and compete in those tournaments. The barriers broken down once and for all.

It was a fantastic time to be alive to see the national team achieve and a fantastic time for the country. Yes you can look down your football purest noses at the “ole ole ole” crowd as you call them all you want. It’s pure begrudgery. The country was in the doldrums. Life was grim. It was a beacon of light for everyone and lifted a nation and brought joy and happiness and pride.

Jacks tactics were a means to an end. The players bought into it and ran themselves into the ground for him and put themselves in the history books.

He will be fondly remembered forever by the vast majority of people, football people, causal sports fans and the “ole ole ole” crowd.
    Not just for the good times and feel good factor and pride he brought to the country. For the actual achievements in footballing terms that he accomplished. History making achievements.

Thanks Jack for both.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 factualhealing

No abuse of that nature

It didn't take long for Roy Keane to walk his dog while the rest of the squad were in a penalty shootout against Spain, that man is a cartoon character and an idiot, wildly overrated bag of wind, he does some whinging for a so called hard man. This is about Jack Charlton, and his way of dealing with the players was man management, Big Paul McGrath was a genius who liked his soup, so Jack turned a blind eye, the squad were close knit and performed to the best of their ability, so I would have no issue with his management style, but I would have huge issues with the FAI suits, that's the one thing I agreed with Roy Keane on.

I have nothing but respect for Charlton (RIP) helping McGrath through that horrible illness.

But it is fair to say Charlton took his foot off the pedal a bit regarding discipline with the squad in general. The squad and the FAI kept that party atmosphere going until the 00s which eventually lead to the Saipan incident.

I have nothing but respect for Charlton (RIP) helping McGrath through that horrible illness.

But it is fair to say Charlton took his foot off the pedal a bit regarding discipline with the squad in general. The squad and the FAI kept that party atmosphere going until the 00s which eventually lead to the Saipan incident.

I agree with a lot of that, but the expectation wasn't there at the time, so it was treated a bit like an extended session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,435 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Deleting qutoe etc after deleting original comment

Deleting qutoe etc after deleting original comment

I agree with a lot of that, but the expectation wasn't there at the time, so it was treated a bit like an extended session

I suppose it was but I personally suspect that was mainly because so many of the squad weren’t “Irish” born and raised.

Again, no disrespect to Jack (RIP). Having spent some of my formative years in Sunderland myself I appreciate a straight talking northerner.

Gotta disagree with you there, W. The lax attitude towards the players, and the team, from the FAI is what led to the Saipan “incident”.

The blazers and the alackadoos of the FAI paid themselves handsomely and looked after their own “interests” and failed to provide adequate facilities for the players and coaching staff.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,435 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I was thinking just lately, as in last year, that it would have been good to have a Late Late Show special dedicated to Jack, while he was around.
    These things only happen when he's gone though. Makes no sense. He deserved to be reminded in life of how much he meant to so many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

2020 has gone to far this time ....

I was thinking just lately, as in last year, that it would have been good to have a Late Late Show special dedicated to Jack, while he was around.
    These things only happen when he's gone though. Makes no sense. He deserved to be reminded in life of how much he meant to so many.

I think he knew, he was a modest man who liked the outdoor life, all that fawning over him wouldn't have suited, fair play to his wife, married for donkeys years and still minded him to the end when big Jack was in poor health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

It was a privilage to have lived through those years, rest in peace Jack, they dont make em like they used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

RIP to Charlton.

Ah that's a load of ****e. Wtf did Keane do only fcuk up a good squad at a tournament. He's been shown up since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

RIP to Charlton.

Have you ever read Roy Keane's take on the '94 world cup?

He basically says that Jack had the balance right. You work hard, and a day off was a day off , just don't over do the day off,or you get pulled.

Keane ,Babb, Mcateer and Gary kelly etc. were kids.

Keane is Quoted as saying the older heads lead the way and kept the discipline.

Jack was wise enough to know how to manage different characters. Paul Mcgrath loves him. Ireland loves Paul McGrath.

Think Ferguson with the likes of Cantona , and even Keane himself.

Leeds won the league with Cantona, Wilkinson allowed Man. U. to steal him and win their first title of many.

Give me a Charlton or a Ferguson who have space for difficult but enigmatic players.Someone who understands the human side but cannot be pushed too far.

Roy was a great player -but he has issues. It is his own fault he did not play in that "2002" world cup.

Second edit/p.s. here:

What progress has been made in the post Keane era as regards the National team results/performance? I'm at a loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

He changed what it meant to be Irish....in so many ways ..he made us believe in ourselves.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Cal4567 wrote: »
    One of the good guys. Loved his fishing. Bumped into him once in Ballina when I was there for a few days, back about 20 years ago. Didn't even know then he had a holiday home close by. RIP Big Jack.

Thought this was a nice way of putting how he was seen in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/D9BMayo/status/1281947198494842880

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

For all the younger folk wondering why your fathers are feeling a bit down today

Imagine the complete opposite of a Covid lockdown and watch this

One small area of Dublin but scenes like this happened in villages towns and cities all over the country

Thanks for that. The video warmed my heart. Sadly we will never see the likes of it again. There is no community spirit in modern Ireland anymore. We don't know our neighbours. And if we did, they would be cheering for Poland or Nigeria in the football. I feel bad for any youngsters reading who missed out on that time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Come on

Judging from the post above you are, clearly, “wound up”.

Look, maybe you’ve just had a few too many and are taking your grief at Big Jack’s passing out on Dunphy? It’s not a good “look”, to be honest.

When you look at the players we had back then it does not “marry” well with the style of football we played. Some of those games are just dreadful to watch.

You could argue that with a different manager getting that team to play “beautiful” football that they’d have gone out in the group stages or, even, failed to qualify but that’s just hypothetical. They got further than anyone else by playing a style of football that bypassed a midfield combination who’s like we will, probably, never see again.

I, personally, feel that you should apologise for your use of the term “retarded”. It’s an ugly word and has no place on this site. I will accept the editing out of that part of your post in lieu of, said, apology.

You claiming nonsense does not it so.

As for your pathetic "had a few", another figment of your imagination.

Jack dying and Dunphy being a nobody that did nothing of note in the game are separate issues, so not sure why you foolishly think they are the same thing.

While you are telling people who should apologise, perhaps you might reflect upon your own stupid accusations.

It is my opinion Ireland over achieved, and Jack got the best out of them, not if you choose to think otherwise, that is fine, that is your opinion, but it does not make it fact, and bandying about accusations wont make your opinion more factual.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Have you ever read Roy Keane's take on the '94 world cup?

He basically says that Jack had the balance right.

Regardless of what people think of Keane, Giles etc, you can respect their opinion somewhat as they played the game at the highest level.

However when you look at people like dunphy a nobody in comparison, who tried to make his name by mouthing off and slating Jack, any wonder so many disliked dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Regardless of what people think of Keane, Giles etc, you can respect their opinion somewhat as they played the game at the highest level.

However when you look at people like dunphy a nobody in comparison, who tried to make his name by mouthing off and slating Jack, any wonder so many disliked dunphy.

Using your logic, you shouldn't be expressing an opinion on Dunphy so, which is it, he is entitled to his opinion, or you should stop slating him for having one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

People tend to confuse a cultural zeitgeist moment for a nation with the hard facts of Charlton's time as manager. The passing of time and over sentimentality has no doubt played a part in this.

Obviously under Jack there were some great moments; beating England and the most memorable of all, beating Italy in the Giants Stadium are, in and of themselves, outstanding sporting achievements.

However the football deployed under Charlton was dire. Like really dire. Which is a shame because we actually had some very talented players, who under a better manager could have literally achieved anything.

People point out Hand and Giles; neither were exceptional by any standard as managers and were seen as relatively safe bets by the FAI at the time, as was Jack. The man achieved his initial remit; get Ireland to a major tournament and he did just that and even repeated it on another two occasions, which is a fair achievement, but lets not fool ourselves here that the man is/was the savior of Irish football when the talent was already there but essentially wasted by the conservatism and usual shortsightedness of the FAI.

But sure look, Ole Ole away.

Just incase nobody has said it.

This is aload of ****in bollox.

Using your logic, you shouldn't be expressing an opinion on Dunphy so, which is it, he is entitled to his opinion, or you should stop slating him for having one?

Looks like I have to break it down so you can understand it.

Everyone can give their opinion, including you, however as a viewer , dunphy is/was on tv to give his opinion.

That does not mean I have to respect it, I will take more notice of people that actually achieved things in the game, than some old soak only moaning so he could appear relevant.

You claiming nonsense does not it so.

As for your pathetic "had a few", another figment of your imagination.

Jack dying and Dunphy being a nobody that did nothing of note in the game are separate issues, so not sure why you foolishly think they are the same thing.

While you are telling people who should apologise, perhaps you might reflect upon your own stupid accusations.

It is my opinion Ireland over achieved, and Jack got the best out of them, not if you choose to think otherwise, that is fine, that is your opinion, but it does not make it fact, and bandying about accusations wont make your opinion more factual.

I’m not the one throwing about disgusting terms like “retarded”, personal insults or using the death of this great man to attack a soccer pundit.

You need to take a long, hard, look at yourself, pal. I’d, also, suggest you make a “donation” to St. Michael’s House, or Down Syndrome Ireland, as a way of atoning for your, vile, language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Liam Brady story about Jack.....

Jack Charlton's first words to me were, "You're number eight,Ian." I said, "Ian Brady was the Moors Murderer ,Jack."

R.I.P. Big Jack.

This is even better when your mind reads it in Liam Bradys voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tbh I hate soccer, can't stand the game.

But I was totally swept up by the whole Italia '90 experience and was a fully fledged member of Jacks Army. Myself and my wife went up to greet the team back, we were on the newly built M50/airport round about along with 60,000 other supporters who lined the streets of Dublin.

My son is soccer mad, and absolutely Liverpool crazy. He was born in 92 but he loves listening to stories of Italia 90 and the atmosphere in Ireland at the time.

We never chat about soccer, but I got a text from him re. Jack dying, and like everyone else I went to Youtube to relive some old and very fond memories.

Italia 90 was the last time I watched a game too and right now I couldn't name our manager or a single player, but Jack and that summer were something magical and will live on forever.

RIP Jack.

I have no interest in football but I do have some memories of that time. I was about 8 sitting on my swing in the garden singing "We're all part of Jackie's Army".

Those words, we are all part of. That feeling of belonging to something huge would have been amazing and no doubt was part of the magic of 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tbh I hate soccer, can't stand the game.

But I was totally swept up by the whole Italia '90 experience and was a fully fledged member of Jacks Army. Myself and my wife went up to greet the team back, we were on the newly built M50/airport round about along with 60,000 other supporters who lined the streets of Dublin.

My son is soccer mad, and absolutely Liverpool crazy. He was born in 92 but he loves listening to stories of Italia 90 and the atmosphere in Ireland at the time.

We never chat about soccer, I knows I think its a pansies game for fairies and primadonna'sa but I got a text from him re. Jack dying, and like everyone else I went to Youtube to relive some old and very fond memories.

Italia 90 was the last time I watched a game too and right now I couldn't name our manager or a single player, but Jack and that summer were something magical and will live on forever.

So you would not even make an effort for your Son. His team just won the league - but he opens up to you , about something he know you can relate to.

He also knows you hate what he loves.

Dad of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was a great man!

RIP, Jack

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Jack Charlton was the right manager for the Irish football team at the right time. A modest but very clever and direct man, he had a pretty good understanding of the players he had available and how to get the most out of them.

I will never forget watching Italia '90 as a 15 year old kid with my mates. It was incredible for us to get that far and the atmosphere when the team came back to Ireland was electric. And USA '94 was the sequel to that excitement.

In hindsight, Italia '90 was a huge ray of hope in an Ireland where hope was a scarce commodity. It also heralded the good times of the 90s when Ireland transformed in every way for the better. :)

Rest in Peace Jack - you may be gone but you'll never be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Our Jack's Dream

The dream started , by the sub Mackay
    A horrible wet dark Sofia Sky
    It started off an Irish dream
    The Boys we called - Jack's Team

12th of June 88
    A never forgotten Irish Date
    Ray's goal against England
    At last a victory - for our Homeland

"you'll never beat the Irish" at Old Landsdowne
    Your first steps off the Dart - what a sound
    With your father hugging you for the first time
    I can still feel it now - it never leaves your mind

We simply were unbeatable , confident and strong
    But a bit simplistic, we needed a song
    Along came Liam Harisson, Larry and Moore
    Songs to be proud of - as good as the Cure

Then Italia 1990 - we traveled afar
    A country of real love, life - but not a real bar
    What a time , if you were at home
    You probably heard about it, on the phone

We will never forget that Genoa shoot out
    We knew Packie would save one - never a doubt
    The tears flowed from a repressed place
    Then off to Rome - back to that space

But the genie was out - Ireland was free
    It is ok to dream - be what you can see
    Stunning Paul McGrath - beautiful girlfriends and wives
    Think big , be ambitious - live a great life

Jack was loving, funny, casual and fun
    In touch with real people - great one on one
    English to the core - but a northern heart inside
    He loved the Irish - he showed us real pride

So farewell Jack - but you are not gone
    You are in us all , our Father , brother, son
    Today , we are celebrating looking at the sky
    We will never forget you till the day we die

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone who just calls football players pansies or fairies hasn’t a clue. It’s a lazy stereotype and just steeped in ignorance... especially if you state that you haven’t watched a game since 1990. Btw they hit the deck because it gets them free kicks, not because they’re soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

khalessi wrote: »
    This is sad news, remember the craic driving around Stephens Green after he led Ireland to a win against England. Pure gentleman.

He deserves a statue

Yes, he has a statue, in Cork Airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So you would not even make an effort for your Son. His team just won the league - but he opens up to you , about something he know you can relate to.

He also knows you hate what he loves.

Dad of the year.

I don’t think his son’s a scouser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought Brian Kerr was fairly begrudging just now on Newstalk - did anyone else hear it

He said Charlton and Maurice setters had ZERO interest in the domestic game which he found depressing.

Said charlton imposed a dour style on Ireland but in fairness, JC achieved qualification where other managers in the past like Giles didn’t.

He said it says it all that jack couldn’t find a role for Liam Brady in his team.

Also, he told some story about Jack unceremoniously taking over a team talk at half time during an u-21 match which led to the manager resigning. Got the feeling he saw it as rude and unnecessary.

And another story where jack mixed up Northern Ireland and the republic

Overall I’d say Kerr is not Jacks biggest fan. Which is a pity as I admire both.

• Advertisement

Yes, he has a statue, in Cork Airport

I'm racking my brain for an obvious answer to this but not coming up with anything -- why Cork? Not aware of any link to him there, AFAIK he only lived in Mayo and Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'm racking my brain for an obvious answer to this but not coming up with anything -- why Cork? Not aware of any link to him there, AFAIK he only lived in Mayo and Dublin.

He fished rivers in cork over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thought Brian Kerr was fairly begrudging just now on Newstalk - did anyone else hear it

He said Charlton and Maurice setters had ZERO interest in the domestic game which he found depressing.

Said charlton imposed a dour style on Ireland but in fairness, JC achieved qualification where other managers in the past like Giles didn’t.

He said it says it all that jack couldn’t find a role for Liam Brady in his team.

Also, he told some story about Jack unceremoniously taking over a team talk at half time during an u-21 match which led to the manager resigning. Got the feeling he saw it as rude and unnecessary.

And another story where jack mixed up Northern Ireland and the republic

Overall I’d say Kerr is not Jacks biggest fan. Which is a pity as I admire both.

Jacks job was to bring success to the irish team... he brought together the best talent to enable that.... 80-90% of his squads were playing top division football... all were professional footballers... the League of Ireland were 100% amateur players... with day jobs... if they were good enough they played... they were not so they didnt.

Strumms wrote: »
    Jacks job was to bring success to the irish team... he brought together the best talent to enable that.... 80-90% of his squads were playing top division football... all were professional footballers... the League of Ireland were 100% amateur players... with day jobs... if they were good enough they played... they were not so they didnt.

Exactly, the likes of kerr, dunphy and the others who slated jack, did so to make themselves seem more important as if they were jealous of what Jack achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly, the likes of kerr, dunphy and the others who slated jack, did so to make themselves seem more important as if they were jealous of what Jack achieved.

Kerr was always a LOI guy... he should never have been allowed near an rte mic to offer an opinion on a sport at a level far and away from where he had any involvment, he should neither have been allowed near the Irish International team to manage them..

Akin to allowing some auld lad whod driven a milk float for 30 years being asked to pilot a 747 to Mexico.

Kerr.. nice fella, means well. Should have known his limits though.. so should the FAI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement