Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Charlton has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

pipelaser wrote: »
    BBC says that hes dies at 85, meaning that he was 55 at Italia 90! Surely this is wrong?
    RIP

He was born in 1935.

Was 31 when he won the World Cup in 1966

Was 55 in 1990 when he almost won the World Cup again with Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,129 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'm heartbroken after reading that Jack Charlton has died.

I was only a young toddler when Italia 90 was with us and I was 4 years old when USA 94 was around which lead me to not remembering much of it. But seeing all of the past memories from Euro 88, Italia 90 & USA 94 leads me with the belief that a man like Jack Charlton had lead our country to a wonderful legacy that couldn't be matched at the time for all of us to enjoy & to savour. It was simply a wonderful time to be an Irish football fan in that period. He had a real sense of deserved authority in how to act like an honorary Irishman right in front of us. To be with Jack Charlton would give you the same feeling as being cloud 9.

As I have never met the man himself. The news of his death today did leave me with some tears. I will miss him greatly. RIP Jack. You were a great legend. :(

Something not adding up here. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

As both an Ireland and Leeds fan this is terribly sad news. It’s been a “surreal” day. Went a bit numb when I heard the news.

Really took the shine off the day when the old boy was going to be showing off his brand new Lexus.

RIP Big Jack.

What sort of Lexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What sort of Lexus?

NX300 F Sport, hybrid job, J.

Got to take it for a “spin”, myself. While it was great to drive I just couldn’t enjoy it thinking of Big Jack and all he did for us.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Digesting this news all day and it was expected due to his age and illness but still such a sad sad moment. During the recent RTE specials on Euro 88, Italia 90 and USA 94 I often thought about how he was doing. His face was missed in interviews, but it was not meant to be.

Personally speaking I was at his first match in charge and many matches afterwards. My first Irish international was during the unlucky Eoin Hand era trying to qualify for the 1982 World Cup. Apart from the obvious things Jack did with the team, he gave me many happy memories with my Dad that I thought I'd never see with him. He's still alive but we often think back to the older lads he hung out with at games that also got to see the Republic of Ireland team finally qualify for a Euro and WC finals. So many tears of joy and a few of sadness when all didn't go to plan for Euro 92/96. Today its tears of sadness as I have a few beers thinking back on the memories.

RIP Jack.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The fact he looked like an auld lad you'd see down the mart made him fairly relatable.

Was a bit young for those tournaments, pity this site wasn't around at the time, and you could have a read back at the reaction to Dunphy and the general madness.

The fact he looked like an auld lad you'd see down the mart made him fairly relatable.

Was a bit young for those tournaments, pity this site wasn't around at the time, and you could have a read back at the reaction to Dunphy and the general madness.

No internet for any of his time in charge. Would have been some craic if there was.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Grandeeod wrote: »
    No internet for any of his time in charge. Would have been some craic if there was.:D

Can you imagine the Italia 90 thread.

Boards meltdown lol

• Advertisement

Boards meltdown lol

It would have broken the internet all over Ireland, England, Holland and Romania and even Italy, despite their win.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thank you, Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

anewme wrote: »
    A team can achieve nothing without a leader, no matter how much talent any individual has. Just heard John Aldridge say on the news that the team would do anything for him. Paul McGrath just described losing a father figure. That’s what gets results.

What he brought to Our country is way beyond football. He taught us we can dream big and achieve at a time when we most needed it.

Today is a day for Ole, Ole, Ole.

Great post and the way Jack minded Paul McGrath and how Paul repaid Jack on the pitch was a joy to watch.

I must say im genuinely saddened to hear of Jack's passing. While not the most puristic of managers in terms of football style, Jack created a great team spirit that transcended beyond the team, to the stands and far beyond.

I think the appeal of Jack is that he was an ordinary man with no airs or graces who liked the simple things in life such as fishing. He was like someone we felt we all knew even if we never met him in our lives. He was also a straight shooter, and from the many stories you hear of him he had a great way with people. He started a journey and brought every irish person along with him whether they were fans of football or not. When Ireland was a bleak place, Jack and the team lifted everyones spirit.

Its also notable how none of the players who played under him, addresed him as boss or gaffer. It was just simply, Jack.

RIP Jack :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Omackeral wrote: »
    When he was roaring at the English knacks on the pitch at Landsdowne in 95 he went up even further again in my estimation. Legend.
    That was on my 22nd birthday. The only time I lived in Dublin.

Jack was a legend. (Bringing the lads to Harry Ramsden's was mad! :D ) and threatening to fine players because they didn't invite him to their drinking sessions? :pac: Legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sad news to hear. Even as a non football fan I still respected Jack Charlton for his contributions to the game. Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He raised us up in a very tough time for our country.

May he rest in peace.

Boards meltdown lol

I think part of the nation's appreciation of Italia 90 was that we didnt have things like the internet that would only dilute the experience greatly. We were there living, breathing and experiencing the journey and savouring every second. The crowds at matches seemed to be just electric back then. Now its all contrived and forced with a bit of vitriol thrown in every so often. A totally different society

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

The man did more for Ireland than any politician in Ireland.

he brought happiness, unity and excitement at a time when Ireland needed it.

i can honestly say, it is a sad day for me personally to hear this.

He was not given the recognition that he deserved in Ireland. Although an Englishman, he will forever in my mind be an honorary Irishman.

Rest in peace Jack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I pity those who did not live through those glory days of Jacks Ireland. Forever treasured memories as a kid in '88 and a young man in '94 watching Ireland beat Italy down the pub.

Thank you Jack, may you rest in peace.

I did shed a tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Big Jack was like the grandfather for the country over that period.
    Mine had both died when I was young and Big Jack gave me a sense of what stoic straight up ould lads would be like, a good laugh and called it as it was.

I remember meeting him in early 2000's on the street in Swinford while he was over fishing, I was starstruck by him even in his laid back saunter down the street.
    Felt like I knew him such as the impression he had on us all, larger than life.

He made great impressions on Souness, Gazza and McGrath to name a few, showing he was able to look out for characters who he could see something in rather than throw them under the bus like modern managers.

Also his approaches to owners and wealthy chairmen of the modern era would have been great fun to see.
    Suppose the nearest person to him today would be big Sam and we know how he can't get on with authority or big time Charlies but big Sam also had a knack for getting the best out of difficult characters.

Rip big Jack, the Grandad we all wish we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

For all the younger folk wondering why your fathers are feeling a bit down today

Imagine the complete opposite of a Covid lockdown and watch this

One small area of Dublin but scenes like this happened in villages towns and cities all over the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the 1990 world cup will always be remembered by me.
    I remember going outside the pub for a smoke ( long before the smoking ban) due to the crowds in the pub, and the streets like a ghost town.

People who despised each other were hugging each other inside, and Jack was seen as the greatest thing ever.
    For those not around then or missed it, it is almost impossible to describe those days when the games were on.

The entire country was on the piss

RIP Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Italy ‘90 and USA ‘94 were the 14th and 15th world cups. The Irish team never qualified for any world cups, ever prior to that.

Euro ‘88 was the 8th European Championships. The Irish team never qualified for any European Championships, ever prior to that.

Those feats were achieved under Jack. That’s an undeniable legacy right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

By all accounts (some personal) he was a lovely fella and it's terrible to hear of his passing as those times were very special for us as a international sporting country. That said, I wouldn't have thought he'd have been the greatest coach and we might have done better (especially in such a poor WC tournament as 1990) with a manager that didn't shackle the players in what was one of the best eras for Irish players that we ever had. For all that, RIP Big Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

My favourite chipper is off to the right there. Johns, you can’t beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bobblehats wrote: »
    My favourite chipper is off to the right there. Johns, you can’t beat it

Thorntons for the breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

That has to be one of the most cynical summations of the Charlton era I've ever read...

It's all well and good saying we had great players AFTER Charlton comes in and gets us to several major tournaments. I wonder would you have been sitting their saying how great and talented our players were, when we were perpetually failing to qualify for every tournament!? (Like I said, you are practicing some very grand and elaborate revisionism!)

The football wasn't dire either btw. It was functional, but we actually had plenty of exciting moments in those years.

And despite being very functional style tactics, I really don't think Charlton got enough credit for the intelligence behind our strategy. There was a fair amount of thought behind the way we played, and how to stop other teams from playing their own game too!

Trapattoni even attempted to replicate the Charlton tactics towards the end of his tenure with Ireland, but actually didn't seem to fully understand how to implement that style... something I've always found quite amusing tbh, considering Trapattoni is widely considered to be one of the sharpest tactical minds in the history of European football. ;)

That shows what you know, wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

By all accounts (some personal) he was a lovely fella and it's terrible to hear of his passing as those times were very special for us as a international sporting country. That said, I wouldn't have thought he'd have been the greatest coach and we might have done better (especially in such a poor WC tournament as 1990) with a manager that didn't shackle the players in what was one of the best eras for Irish players that we ever had. For all that, RIP Big Jack.

Looking back at 1990 I think maybe the one area that let us down was creativity. We had a beast of a defense, really good strikers but the midfield was ‘functional’ and a defensive one, probably Houghton aside we had defense covered but not much creativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Thorntons for the breakfast

Cherry tree has a wowburger now. Wow, just wow they’re ****ing atrocious compared to john’s

Advertisement