Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partner called me a ‘c***’ during an argument

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So, you’ve been clear about what you want. He says ‘thank you’ for that yet goes on to disrespect it by saying he’s here ‘whenever you feel like picking things up’. He’s not accepting that you won’t be ‘picking things up’ again. It’s over. He has no respect for you or your wishes, despite what he says.

Was just about to post the same thing. He’ll forgive you this little blip but then business as normal for him. He doesn’t believe or accept that it’s over. Stay strong OP and get the ball rolling on the legal stuff, cancelling wedding plans and letting people know it’s over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Things probably seem quite difficult now but within a few weeks you might feel a lot better. You could probably do with any support you can get from family and friends. You still have plenty of time to meet someone else and have children if that's what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I second all of the above . He'll alternate between the "softly softly, look how concerned and caring I am" then getting pissed off because you aren't responding to it. It's textbook.

Surely enough he’s trying to reel me back in.
    Got this text last night -
    Thank you for being clear about what you want. I'm sorry for the way I've made you feel recently and happy to give you space for as long as you need. Let me know if you do need anything from me. I'm here whenever you feel like picking things up.

I’ve told a family member and a close friend and I’ve made arrangements to stay with a friend for the weekend. I know that I’m strong enough to do this and I feel a relief already

Just another thing I didn't pick up on earlier. There's a minimal apology there, but no direct acknowledgement for his behaviour. No 'sorry I gave you the silent treatment, sorry I locked you out of the house, sorry I called you a c***'. No responsibility taken for his actions. And we already know from your previous conversation with him that he said 'he can't promise it won't happen again'. He really isn't sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Anongirl306

So over the weekend he’s still been locking the door. I got a text out of the blue this evening that he’s staying at a friends tonight. I guess he expected me to buy the ‘take your time, do what you need to do, I’m here when you’re ready’ act and go running back to him. But it didn’t go as he planned. I’ve written a letter to leave for him making it clear that things are over and I’m asking him to move out. Speaking to solicitor tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

So over the weekend he’s still been locking the door. I got a text out of the blue this evening that he’s staying at a friends tonight. I guess he expected me to buy the ‘take your time, do what you need to do, I’m here when you’re ready’ act and go running back to him. But it didn’t go as he planned. I’ve written a letter to leave for him making it clear that things are over and I’m asking him to move out. Speaking to solicitor tomorrow.

Good for you, every best wish, your future will be so much better this way.

Fair play to you for taking definitive action. The sooner you get the ball rolling the better for your own mental health and sanity.

When you say he's been locking the door, is that locking the door to the spare room or locking you out of the house? If it's the former, at least you can just ignore him, if it's the latter, it's really not on.

Fair play to you for taking definitive action. The sooner you get the ball rolling the better for your own mental health and sanity.

When you say he's been locking the door, is that locking the door to the spare room or locking you out of the house? If it's the former, at least you can just ignore him, if it's the latter, it's really not on.

The spare room rainbow trout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

How are you doing yourself? Hope you're taking very good care of yourself despite a difficult situation. I do believe you've made the right decision too.

I'm 32 and single as well, and I know it's scary, but a marriage like that sounds scarier.

Well at least that's something, the less of him you see the better.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Surely enough he’s trying to reel me back in.
    Got this text last night -
    Thank you for being clear about what you want. I'm sorry for the way I've made you feel recently and happy to give you space for as long as you need. Let me know if you do need anything from me. I'm here whenever you feel like picking things up.

Translated:
    "Thank you for being clear about what you want but I'll ignore what you said anyway. I'm throwing in a token apology but it's actually meaningless. As far as I'm concerned we are still together until I decide otherwise. I'll give you enough time to come crawling back"

KiKi III wrote: »
    How are you doing yourself? Hope you're taking very good care of yourself despite a difficult situation. I do believe you've made the right decision too.

I'm 32 and single as well, and I know it's scary, but a marriage like that sounds scarier.

I’m doing really well KiKi, I’m talking lots to friends and family, going to my fitness classes, cycling, getting spa treatments etc, thanks for asking :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

I'm glad to hear you're doing fine. It helps to step away from the situation and to talk to the people who genuinely care about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I've been following the thread, but didn't comment as you've had lots of great advice already. You've done incredibly well and have totally made the right decision in splitting up. Remember - it's cheaper to deal with this now, than to wait until you're married. Trust me - I speak from personal experience...

I just wanted to add one thing. I know you're written a letter asking your partner to leave. And I know you will be speaking to a solicitor tomorrow. I'm just wondering if it might be better asking the solicitor to send the letter instead? That way, it will be much more real and show your partner he needs to leave and that you mean business. He's seriously overplayed his hand and knows it!

Stay strong - You've got this! :)

Thanks for the moral support everyone it has really helped me.
    I’m thinking why he text me to tell me that he was staying over at a friends, that wouldn’t be a normal thing for him to do, I think he was trying to give me a fright to rush my head space time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I’m thinking why he text me to tell me that he was staying over at a friends, that wouldn’t be a normal thing for him to do, I think he was trying to give me a fright to rush my head space time

I'd say he feels like you're in control of the situation at the moment and he's looking for ways to try and take some of it back.

Yep, you're probably right, and it's great that you can stand back and analyse his actions when they are not the norm for him and figure out what he's really trying to do.

Just on what MissShihTzu said, would it be worth bringing the letter you wrote to the solicitor's tomorrow before you give it to him? Let them read through it just in case there's anything in it that they reckon you shouldn't put in writing?

Keep on talking to friends and all of your normal routine, it will stand to you in the long run.

I'd be thinking 'Fine'. Let him stay there. Give him time to reflect on his behaviour with any luck (But I doubt it). Keep going. Don't let him steal your peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

He’s possibly hoping you’ll think it’s a female friend, get jealous, realise what you’re (supposedly) missing and beg him to start again

• Advertisement

He’s possibly hoping you’ll think it’s a female friend, get jealous, realise what you’re (supposedly) missing and beg him to start again

It’s a male friend, I know him, they’re not close friends either just see each other at large social events, do a bit of sport together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I can’t believe you actually considered making it work after the first break up meeting.

Couples have rows, his reaction was crazy.

Get him out of your life ASAP.

In a couple of months time you will be looking back in amazement with what you were willing to put up with. There will be wobbles on the way though.

I agree with the advice to have your solicitor either vet the letter you've written or write one themselves. Who knows what he's thinking now or who has been giving him advice in the meantime. It won't hurt to have your ducks lined up in a row from this point forward. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here and that this was your plan all along :)

I left the letter. Reiterated some of the points from the last week, said I have tried really hard to make the relationship work but it’s not working any more and I have to do what’s best for my own happiness and wellbeing. Didn’t mention house yet.
    As it turns out, he didn’t stay in his friends after all and came home last night. Got another message...

Hi thanks for your letter. Most of it covered territory we've already discussed. Refusing to accept how i processed your olive branch text is your issue. Are you calling an end to this relationship or do you need more time? I need space snd time at the moment

I feel really really sad today. Sad that after five years it’s come to this and this is how it’s ending.

Hey anongirl.. look, I don't want to be saying anything about him really, but that text does seem, like, bad.. like you're better off away from him..even after everything he's still putting it on you.. sadness is to be expected really.. these things are always sad..and the fact that ye've the house and were due to be married just makes it worse..

Hope you're ok anyway.. mind yourself..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It's not all that unusual how he's reacting to be honest. He was a dick. He knows this. But at the same time his pride won't let him admit that and apologise. It's not something he's used to doing. He's still thinking you don't really mean that it's over. 5 years is a long time and you've never reacted like this to his tantrums before so he thinks it's just another occasion where you (both) sit it out for a while and then move on.

You need to be clear with him. If you do want to end it then you don't mention the word "space" any more. Ending it means it's over. "Space" means you will continue with the relationship in a few days once you've both gotten over this.

It's so hard to be definite because you're all over the place. I'm sure there's still a huge part of you that just wants this to be "fixed". For him to apologise for behaving like a spoiled teenager and promise to make a proper effort at a grown up relationship and agree to you both going to counselling to improve your communication. But that's not going to happen, because that will involve work. It will involve effort, and it will involve compromise. He is not interested in any of that at the moment. He'd rather the easier path of ignoring everything and just carrying on like you always have done.

And that worked, up to now.

You've blindsided him by putting a stop to it. But he doesn't really believe it's actually over. He thinks you just need "space" to get over your mood and then things will go back to normal. Which is understandable from his point of view. Because he hasn't actually spoken to you about this really, he doesn't know how you are really feeling at the moment.

You'll be ok. But you need to be definite, both with yourself and him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Are you calling an end to this relationship or do you need more time?
    Be brief and absolutely direct.

"Yes, I am calling an end to this relationship. I don't need more time to think about it. "

Maybe add something in a later message about how you are going to a solicitor to talk about the issue of house ownership.

The knowledge that you are taking that step might help it sink in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Don't tell him about the solicitor until afterwards. It sounds like he could do something petty like change the locks while you're out.

Good luck, stay strong and mind yourself OP.

If yer man is stupid enough to change the locks or otherwise interfere with your property, OP? Call the Gards. As long as your name is on the deeds, he can do NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Caranica wrote: »
    Don't tell him about the solicitor until afterwards. It sounds like he could do something petty like change the locks while you're out.

Good luck, stay strong and mind yourself OP.

I was thinking something like that also when OP became clear she want to split up and might be staying with family/friends for a while. But the property is 80% in her ownership so calling the guards would be the way to go if he really change the locks. A then 'break in' is very much in her right as she, as said, owns the house too (more than him). She's on the safe side here I would say.

• Advertisement

As it turns out, he didn’t stay in his friends after all and came home last night. Got another message...

Hi thanks for your letter. Most of it covered territory we've already discussed. Refusing to accept how i processed your olive branch text is your issue. Are you calling an end to this relationship or do you need more time? I need space snd time at the moment

What a dick. Maybe keep the response short and sweet and reply back with something like ‘I am calling an end to the relationship as I have already stated twice this week’

And leave the rest to your solicitor. It will become crystal clear when he gets a letter from them this week.

And you called it right yesterday when you said he was only staying at a friends house to try and get you to react and get him to come home. It didn’t work so he came home anyway, possibly wondering why you didn’t come running.

His response still puts the blame on you, but he’s also panicking as you haven’t responded to any of his moves in how he expected. Now he’s looking for space and time in a last ditch effort to reel you back in.

Good luck at the solicitors today.

There is still no apology forthcoming, or any recognition of the part he played in this. Instead, it has been reduced down to "I misinterpreted your olive branch text and now you're holding it against me". It's about as disingenous as it gets. It's easier to hang this argument on something that's supposedly your fault than to admit to his part in it. Nothing in this man's behaviour to date suggests he's willing to change or that you're destined to have a long happy marriage with him. Good luck at the solicitor's today and I hope you talk to a counsellor soon too.

I’ve emailed the solicitor today to ask advice about where my position is with the house.
    Really really struggling with my emotions today I keep having to go to the bathroom in work to have a cry

• Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Can you take a few days off? This is a huge emotional upheaval for you. Your GP would probably sign you off for a few days. You are going through an emotionally stressful time.

That’s perfectly normal after a break up. Just don’t go back to him when you are at the low points.

Keep busy. I find that helps with breakups. Sitting around with nothing to do will only lead to rumination and naturally it will only be the good things or a fear of if you’ve made a mistake on your mind.

He sat in the spare room for a week. That’s mental behaviour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Can you take a few days off? This is a huge emotional upheaval for you. Your GP would probably sign you off for a few days. You are going through an emotionally stressful time.

I agree with this, OP. I know you mentioned in your OP that you work in health care and that you need to have your mind on your job.
    This is going to be difficult for you, right now.

Please keep talking to the people in your life, who know about your situation too.

Taking a few days off might help but not if they're spent sitting in the house alone with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I’ve emailed the solicitor today to ask advice about where my position is with the house.
    Really really struggling with my emotions today I keep having to go to the bathroom in work to have a cry

That's tough going, stay strong though you're doing the right thing. That last text definitely should reassure you you're on the right track. Obviously gaslighting you by trying to make it all about the supposedly misinterpreted text, and that is "your issue" as if a week of locking himself away and blanking you never happened. These are classic tactics, you start to doubt whether what happened really happened at all, and start blaming yourself. He's compulsively laying the blame at your door and making you feel like you're unreasonable or irrational etc. Gaslighting 101. Keep going, that stuff is a serious red flag that tells you exactly what kind of marriage you could expect to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

That's a chilling text. "Territory we've already discussed" - so you bringing up his unreasonable behaviour and him telling you it didn't happen that way and not guaranteeing it won't happen again means the issue is resolved, does it?

This man sounds like a control freak who's pulling every trick in the book because his controlling tactics are no longer panning out for him. "I need time and space" is his attempt to get back into a position of power over you here, as if he's controlling what happens next. YOU are the one calling the shots now and he can't handle it.

Do you have someone to talk to about this every day OP to keep perspective on the situation? My mum was a godsend during my breakup. I usually was very private about my relationship but the level of dysfunction was something I needed to be reminded of every day because it was so hard to disentangle from him, the fear and the despair really does a number on you in these situations.

Chilling text is a great description of it. There's no warmth or human emotion in that text either. Nor or in the previous one. It's the exact opposite - the tone is very cold. I'm not getting any feeling that this is a man thinking "Oh ****, I've screwed things up royally with the woman I love. I've hurt her and I want her back". I've had friendlier exchanges on web chats with customer service reps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I was going to say that actually. I sent out an uncomfortable email to a corporate client today outlining their non-compliance on a partnership term and my tone was the same as this guy's text to his supposed future wife on a personal issue that has caused her great distress.

That's not the tone you take when you've upset someone you love, regardless of "who's to blame" or what the ins and outs of the situation are. That's an intentionally cold text designed to manipulate and control.

Bit of a bind - I do, my poor family and friends have been tortured with my daily calls and messages but they’ve been so amazing.
    When we had the conversation on Friday, when I said I still needed time and I wasn’t over it, he actually said at one point that he didn’t feel anything when I said I wanted to split up, he is able to block out emotions. I think he lacks empathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bit of a bind - I do, my poor family and friends have been tortured with my daily calls and messages but they’ve been so amazing.
    When we had the conversation on Friday, when I said I still needed time and I wasn’t over it, he actually said at one point that he didn’t feel anything when I said I wanted to split up, he is able to block out emotions. I think he lacks empathy

Jaysus, he said that?! End of conversation so. Doesn't feel anything when you say you want to split up? I'd let you solicitor do the talking from now on so. That zoom quiz was the best thing to ever happen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

bitofabind wrote: »
    I was going to say that actually. I sent out an uncomfortable email to a corporate client today outlining their non-compliance on a partnership term and my tone was the same as this guy's text to his supposed future wife on a personal issue that has caused her great distress.

I logged on to say the same thing. That's the tone I would take if I needed to be politely unpleasant at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Thought there was a pair of ye in it at first, but maybe not, that guy is no loss anyway, playing some sort of weird game now. You are lucky that Zoom quiz happened, in a year or two you’ll realise how fortunate given that ye were going to get married.

I replied
    I want to end to this relationship. It’s clear that you have not recognized the part you played in this, nor are you willing to work on how you deal with your anger. This is a horrible decision and I’m incredibly sad that it has come to this but it’s the right one for me.

Response
    The above doesn't make sense to me. We've discussed in detail the parts we have both played in relationship issues. Who says i am unwilling to deal with my anger? Sounds to me like you are not willing to work through our issues. Yes it is a very, very sad decision but it sounds to me like you have your mind made up.

Translation: it's all your fault.

You are going to have a much better life without him, OP. Take care of yourself and if you ever doubt you made the right decision, remember that text.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I replied
    I want to end to this relationship. It’s clear that you have not recognized the part you played in this, nor are you willing to work on how you deal with your anger. This is a horrible decision and I’m incredibly sad that it has come to this but it’s the right one for me.

Response
    The above doesn't make sense to me. We've discussed in detail the parts we have both played in relationship issues. Who says i am unwilling to deal with my anger? Sounds to me like you are not willing to work through our issues. Yes it is a very, very sad decision but it sounds to me like you have your mind made up.

Been following this thread for a while and I have to agree with the vast majority of advice you've received so far. In terms of this latest exchange, I would advise not to reply. It sounds to me like he's trying to bait you into a confrontation, don't take it, don't even reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

He's still trying to bully you into submission. What an arsehole, good riddance to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Op, you are making all the right decisions as hard as they are to make. This guy is very narcissistic, controlling and he is obviously not happy that he no longer has any power over you. Don't pay any heed to his nonsense of trying to pawn blame off onto you, you are doing very well, a lot of other people would struggle to find the courage to do what you are achieving right now.

That is not a poor reflection on them as they obviously need a bit more help, but more a testament to how strong willed and determined you are to see the correct path ahead of you and take it. Keep following that path you are on, you are doing well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement