Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to someone who's had an affair

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 101 Verified rep I've had an affair, AMA

Why would we question the authenticity of this ama any more than any other one?

Presumably because having an affair involves a level of deceit and dishonesty

A few questions if I may.

What did you expect would happen/ be the outcome of having an affair with a married man? Ie did you think he’d leave his family for you or did you just like the enjoyment of the present and not think of the future?

Did you think “I’m having an affair today, but tomorrow, I may choose to leave this situation for something more lasting?

Who did you tell about the affair when having it? Ie friends, sister etc

Imagine in a few/number of years time, you’re “settled” with partner/kids- do you think you’d be more susceptible than most to having an affair?

Thanks for your participation in this thread :)

I’ll come back to these later as they’ll take a while

Bearna golf course

?
    Wrong thread I suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I was single at the time.

So, you’ve never actually had an affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

When the wife found out about the affair, did it change the excitement of it for you? Did you lose interest as the danger element was removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Apologies, but I haven't really read the thread, and I'd rather not come across as being judgemental, but it's hard not to be for this subject matter, but have you ever considered or partaken in any form of counselling? I suspect those that do have affairs have some issues that need dealing with, it mentally cannot to be comfortable to behave in such a manner, and such professional help would probably greatly help. Thank you for taking part in this thread, it's not an easy subject matter, and I suspect it's common enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Did you ever think that you were taking part in wrecking someone else's lives.i.e the wife and kids?

Why would you ever think that was ok?

I know it takes 2 before you say it but the men aren't doing the AMA.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PopTarts wrote: »
    So, you’ve never actually had an affair?

"an affair" requires at least two people.

To the affairee..... Thanks for doing this.

Did the fact the men were married make them any more attractive in your eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you were in a relationship with someone and they started shagging someone else and you didn't find out for months, would you stay in the relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did you think about the effect on the children of the men if they found out that there father was cheating on their mother and impacts that might have had on their upbringing (more related to the younger children obviously).

• Advertisement

You said that you will never marry and don't see yourself in a relationship that goes the distance as you put it.

Did something happen to cause you to look on marriage negatively? Did this influence you in starting affairs with married men?

Why affairs?
    Why not no strings/f*ck buddy type thing with like minded individuals but without risk of hurting others?

I'm wondering did you get off on the fact that it was an affair, that it was forbidden fruit so to speak.

Last one for me for now.

How did you end up being identified as the person to do this AMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,145 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Looking forward to the narratives and I think better questions will flow from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Did you/do you feel any guilt?

Particularly with regards to the young children involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

"Now Ye're Talking - to someone who's had an affair" Seriously? Is this what AMA is reduced to? Surely you can do better then this guff

Creative83 wrote:
    "Now Ye're Talking - to someone who's had an affair" Seriously? Is this what AMA is reduced to? Surely you can do better then this guff

A - It was requested by forum users
    B - What would you like to see?
    C - You don't have to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,300 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Creative83 wrote: »
    A - It was requested by forum users Really? Requested by whom?
    B - What would you like to see? Not AMA's on deplorable's
    C - You don't have to read it. I didn't read it.

A person is giving up their free time to answer questions and judging by the amount of those that have been asked I'd say quite a few people are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

how many times are we going to have a chance to ask direct questions to a stranger that had an affair? i guess never. interesting subject about the human condition! unsubbing though, dont want email alerts coming through and explaining my interest to my totally loved other half!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I bet the young kids have a few questions too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

If you confided this story I’d probably pretend to be interested and say

Ye durty Thomas crown ye, ???!when did it start.

Would you take offense to this?

I’d probably explain to you how sad it is for all parties in the end and probably a sign of low self esteem but in a nice way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

had they had affairs previously or did they say?
    The year long one, did you believe he’d leave his wife for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I bet the young kids have a few questions too.

They'd be better off addressing those questions to their dad, rather than to somebody who doesn't have any real responsibility towards them.

Did you ever have moments where you thought that your partner was a bit of an asshole for what he was doing to his wife and, in particular, his children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Was it an extra turn on that he was willing to lose his family to ride ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Did one of your parents ever have an affair or were you ever cheated on in a relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Considering both of the men were married- to your knowledge, were they still having a sexual relationship with their wives at home, while carrying on with you on the sly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Be nice.

If you can't say something nice then don't say nothing at all. I'm not even going to read the thread. Anger is boiling already

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Can you please sketch out a synopsis of each affair?

Ok, I’ve already dealt with the second one, so I’ll address the first one now.

The background is that we were working in the same department but in different roles. I got to know him just through work, many long shifts and night shifts, and chatting then. We had a mutual massive interest in a particular sport and that led to us spending ages chatting about it, and over time this developed into us chatting about other stuff and becoming friends. He did start telling me about his marriage, saying they had married young and had grown apart, and were no longer getting on most of the time. He said he suggested splitting up but she refused to do so because of the financial implications. In retrospect I recognize this as the classic groundwork for a man seeking out an affair, but I didn’t see it at the time. This all developed over about 6 to 8 months. At NO stage during that time did I even think of him in a sexual sense, or think that he may have had interest in me. I really did think we had just become friendly because of a shared interest in a minority sport. That may sound unbelievable to some and I’ve no doubt it makes me seem very naive, but that is the way it was. My naivety was most likely down to the fact that I had been single for years and my self-esteem was non-existent. I was quite overweight at the time, in actual fact I was obese, and I was used to being either invisible or an object of ridicule to men. It had been quite some time since I’d had any positive interaction with a man in a romantic/sexual sense, I had accepted that it was not going to happen again, to the degree that I just did not see what was right in front of my face with this guy.

I do think that he was much more clued in than me and was building up to it for a good while, I don’t think he was ever just interested in friendship- at least that’s what I think now upon reflection.

Anyway, how it then progressed was that he called over one night to watch a film and made a move on me. We spent that night together but didn’t have sex because we had no condoms and I wasn’t on the pill. We spoke about what we were going to do, and he was the one who suggested having an affair. I was flattered, to be perfectly honest.

From the start, I laid down some ground rules. I was adamant this needed to be kept quiet and that his wife and our colleagues couldn’t find out. He was less bothered about colleagues finding out. I said to him that I was not looking for a traditional relationship, that I primarily wanted the sexual side of it... and he agreed to that. [for many reasons I’ve never wanted a long term committed relationship] He made a few jokes about us ending up together long term but I said that was not going to happen.

Things progressed, we were meeting frequently - at the start it was just an hour here and there. Despite my best intentions I ended up falling for him emotionally, and he for me. So by the time we were 5 months in or so, we were spending more and more time together, he was staying overnight. Sometimes he told his wife he was working a night shift, other times he told her he was going to stay with a ‘friend’ and refused to discuss it further.

Gradually, he became very intense and possessive. For a man who expected me to be ok with the fact he was still with his wife, he got incredibly jealous of me having contact with any man. He started reading my emails, my texts, turning up at my home unexpectedly, ringing me constantly if I was out with friends, or turning up wherever we were. He started talking about me getting pregnant and him moving between the two homes - a very definite no from me! I began to see his temper and controlling nature. Because of his behaviour I was falling out of love, and ironically was lying to him about where I was and what i was doing just to avoid spending time with him.

When I told him I wanted to end it, he went off the deep end. Threatened suicide. I held tough and did not give in to his manipulation, and went ahead with ending it. He then started various attempts to get me back, including telling me he was seriously ill, trying to make me jealous by telling me that other women were interested in him, telling me his wife had thrown him out and he had nowhere else to go, telling me he had left her for me.... none of which were true.
    Next he moved to harassing me, calls, texts, writing to me, following me etc. I ignored him for a good few months, but eventually I sent him one text saying I would report him to the guards if he continued. He stopped then and around the same time I moved away for a new job so he no longer knew where I lived and worked anyway. Since the time I threatened him with the guards, I heard from him only 2 or 3 more times, texts trying to reestablish a connection, all of which I ignored.

Wow, that was a bit of an essay!

Did you feel any guilt?

Ok, please read my post about the course of both before reading this answer, just to give the background to both.

With the first, I didn’t initially because I had believed his ‘unhappily married’ tale of woe. He painted his wife in a very negative light, and I suppose I thought he was entitled to seek out happiness elsewhere. I also rationalized it by saying to myself that I was single and had not committed to anybody or promised to be faithful to anybody. His wife was a stranger to me and I did not feel I owed her anything.

Now, with the advantage of hindsight, experience and maturity, I do feel guilty. Irrespective of whether their marriage was as bad as he was making it out to be, my actions certainly didn’t help and no doubt caused her a lot of upset and distress.

I wondered about contacting her to apologize and answer any questions she had but ultimately decided against it.

If you look at my previous post I talk about the guy’s behaviour towards the end and afterwards, and I sometimes think that was karma and I deserved it. His carry-on was very stressful and because of the circumstances I couldn’t confide in anyone for support or advice so I went through a very difficult time, as I say, that may well have been karma.

With the second, I felt and feel little, if any, guilt. His wife didn’t find out, nobody got hurt, nobody was under pressure, it was just me and him having a great time, ships in the night.

• Advertisement

How do you feel about the affairs now?

I think my last post addresses this somewhat, but to elaborate further, with the first, I would undo it if I could. Largely because of the consequences for myself and for his wife (not so much for him, tbh)

With the second, as it was consequence-free, I would be less likely to undo it if I could.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement