Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Aviation & Aircraft

To all posters - if you feel a thread is in the wrong forum, please use Reported Post to let a moderator know. Do not post suggestions of another forum as we often end up with duplicate threads as a result. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

They are trying to discourage people from booking their routes from Ireland to the US as they don't have enough aircraft to operate them due to the Boeing 737 MAX groundings.

Have a look at the last few pages of this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057677885&page=108

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They are still due to drastically cut back their Irish transatlantic routes from this September due to financial difficulties so it may be a case of them not even being sure if they will operate or not. Norwegian are in a mess at the moment and the Max issue is a part of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

David N wrote: »
    Norwegian Website is quoting prices in the region of €600 - €800 each way for September flights to Providence RI which were in the region of €125!

Rang customer services who didn't know

Tweeted them and waiting on a reply

Any ideas from here?

Thanks - David

They have no planes at present, so they jacked up the prices to discourage you from booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 David N

tatranska wrote: »
    Why do you think random people on the internet would know about Norwegian flight prices?

See replies posted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

I phoned Norwegian CS a while ago to see if they could give me any more info re flights from Shannon.

As expected, they would confirm nothing, but said to check back with them on Apr 1 and they should know then. Interestingly she told me they could possibly re-route us via Edinburgh closer to the time, which for me as good as confirms Shannon, and most likely Cork won’t be seeing Norwegian flights until the 737Max situation is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

ratracer wrote: »
    I phoned Norwegian CS a while ago to see if they could give me any more info re flights from Shannon.

As expected, they would confirm nothing, but said to check back with them on Apr 1 and they should know then. Interestingly she told me they could possibly re-route us via Edinburgh closer to the time, which for me as good as confirms Shannon, and most likely Cork won’t be seeing Norwegian flights until the 737Max situation is resolved.

A re-route via Edinburgh? That would be interesting considering Norwegian ended all US flights from Edinburgh last year. It sounds like their staff know about as much as their passengers.

A re-route via Edinburgh? That would be interesting considering Norwegian ended all US flights from Edinburgh last year. It sounds like their staff know about as much as their passengers.

Exactly, and I know for fact that Edinburgh pax have been transferred to Dub for that flight this week! It’s annoying that they say ring on 1 Apr and they will have info re April. Surely they realise 737Max isn’t gonna be back in April, so I presume they are trying to figure out if a lease plane is viable.
    Also telling that it is not possible to book a flight from Shannon to USA with them in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Limpy wrote: »
    I already have annual worldwide travel insurance with my employer via Irish life. Are you saying if the Norwegian flights are cancelled I can get them to pay for new flights? I was thinking its only to get you home per see. Add to that what If Norwegian say there's a flight to Stewart instead? Would travel insurance still cover. I must look at the policy cheers.

When my Norwegian flight to Stewart was cancelled last year due to snow storms in New York, I rebooked a fare with Aer Lingus to NYC (who also then cancelled, but rebooked me to Boston) (6x the price) and got them to cover both the flight and the transportation from Boston to NYC the next day. Including a hotel in Boston.

They were very good about it to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I'm with Blue Insurance, and when my Norwegian flight to Stewart was cancelled last year due to snow storms in New York, I rebooked a fare with Aer Lingus to NYC (who also then cancelled, but rebooked me to Boston) (6x the price) and got them to cover both the flight and the transportation from Boston to NYC the next day. Including a hotel in Boston.

They were very good about it to be fair.

Does the current issue with the 737max qualify for insurance cover. Would it be a known issue.

As for Shannon and Cork I had a bad feeling about them when the Dublin flight was re routed. If they can't serve the capital with a plane they were never going to serve them. Norweigian were stonewalling any questions about these routes.

Surely someone from Shannon Airport or Cork would have assurances or atleast information about the April flights from Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Does the current issue with the 737max qualify for insurance cover. Would it be a known issue.

As for Shannon and Cork I had a bad feeling about them when the Dublin flight was re routed. If they can't serve the capital with a plane they were never going to serve them. Norweigian were stonewalling any questions about these routes.

Surely someone from Shannon Airport or Cork would have assurances or atleast information about the April flights from Norwegian.

My flight is to Providence RI ex Shannon on 1 April. Norwegian CS couldn’t say if it will be cancelled or not and just said to check the website regularly.

I got so frustrated I just went ahead this weekend and booked Aerlingus ex Dublin to Boston. Screw it. Can’t afford to wait another week to be told they aren’t going to fly me, especially since all Dublin to Providence flights got rerouted to New York.

Don’t know about refund from Norwegian until they actually confirm what the situation is regarding the flight.

My own sense (which I am gambling on) is they will just cancel the Providence flights ex Shannon.

Muppet man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How would they if Norwegian doesn't tell them!

Muppet Man wrote: »
    My flight is to Providence RI ex Shannon on 1 April. Norwegian CS couldn’t say if it will be cancelled or not and just said to check the website regularly.

I got so frustrated I just went ahead this weekend and booked Aerlingus ex Dublin to Boston. Screw it. Can’t afford to wait another week to be told they aren’t going to fly me, especially since all Dublin to Providence flights got rerouted to New York.

Don’t know about refund from Norwegian until they actually confirm what the situation is regarding the flight.

My own sense (which I am gambling on) is they will just cancel the Providence flights ex Shannon.

Muppet man.

I did same this evening, now I’m hoping for that SNN cancellation so I can get my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Edinburgh-USA routes also use a B737-MAX so I’m not sure how that would work.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The Edinburgh-USA routes also use a B737-MAX so I’m not sure how that would work.

The CS team really don’t have a clue about what’s going to happen from April 1st on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

Purchased 2 tix with Norwegian from Dublin to Providence May 2nd. If the current setup with a flight into Stewart and bus to Providence is still in effect i'll arrive 6hrs late.

So my best option is to book Aer Lingus to Boston instead and look for a Norwegian refund or switch the Norwegian flight to the previous day, but as everyone is finding out their Customer Service is in the dark!

Sure it’s all gonna be ok, says Cork Airport spokesman.......

https://amp.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/norwegian-airlines-to-resume-transatlantic-flights-as-jets-brought-in-to-replace-grounded-boeing-737-max-8-37947978.html

I don’t think 737-800’s have the range for trans Atlantic flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sure it’s all gonna be ok, says Cork Airport spokesman.......

https://amp.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/norwegian-airlines-to-resume-transatlantic-flights-as-jets-brought-in-to-replace-grounded-boeing-737-max-8-37947978.html

I don’t think 737-800’s have the range for trans Atlantic flights?

Some posters on here before said they were used to the route at the start, but if there were unfavourable winds they occasionally had to refuel in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

errlloyd wrote: »
    Some posters on here before said they were used to the route at the start, but if there were unfavourable winds they occasionally had to refuel in Canada.

You are correct, when they started the service ex Cork, they used the 737 800. It did the job and i only ever recall reading on here once that a flight had to get a top up in Canada.
    I imagine Norwegian will be taking a hit here with regard to excess fuel usage but then that will just be put onto the invoice for Boeing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

kub wrote: »
    You are correct, when they started the service ex Cork, they used the 737 800. It did the job and i only ever recall reading on here once that a flight had to get a top up in Canada.
    I imagine Norwegian will be taking a hit here with regard to excess fuel usage but then that will just be put onto the invoice for Boeing.

I don’t think using the original -800 is as viable for Norwegian as mentioned it occasionally needs fuel stops but I also think the revenue load is limited, so a certain number of seats are blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Locker10a wrote: »
    I don’t think using the original -800 is as viable for Norwegian as mentioned it occasionally needs fuel stops but I also think the revenue load is limited, so a certain number of seats are blocked

Also it’s not as if they have spare -800’s. To use one they need to pull it from another less profitable route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Norwegian will have to use the NG's for ORK and SNN, don't think there's a bunch of 787's available for those routes..

Once the NG's have Etops then should be no issue on those routes...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Norwegian will have to use the NG's for ORK and SNN, don't think there's a bunch of 787's available for those routes..

Once the NG's have Etops then should be no issue on those routes...

But they’re not “no issue” as has been mentioned above

Hopefully if they combine routes they will dep ORK. I think if that happens I can refund my SNN-PVD flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Locker10a wrote: »
    But they’re not “no issue” as has been mentioned above

NG should make it to Stewart from DUB and SNN... Just...

Cork.. probably less passengers/fuel so a stop in Canada or Greenland

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    NG should make it to Stewart from DUB and SNN... Just...

Cork.. probably less passengers/fuel so a stop in Canada or Greenland

And as mentioned above that creates a less than ideal situation for norwegian and adds costs to their operation.
    The NG will probably need seat blockers for some routes, it will also mean a higher fuel bill, and more schedule disruption with fuel stops.
    Also as mentioned the NGs they have will already be pencilled in to operate their European short haul routes for the busy summer season! They won’t just have a few spare lying around. Norwegian will make a commercial decision based on profits when it comes to where they deploy their remaining aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder with the way the operation used to go in Cork, the plane used to arrive in at approx 7am and then be parked up until 16:30 for the return service.
    Will they utilise the aircraft further during the downtime?

kub wrote: »
    I wonder with the way the operation used to go in Cork, the plane used to arrive in at approx 7am and then be parked up until 16:30 for the return service.
    Will they utilise the aircraft further during the downtime?

No, they’d have to position in a new crew to do so

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I asked them would they change the Plane on the website that operates these routes, as the website shows the max. I said are the flights going ahead and that I will quote you? He said Dublin and Shannon will get the Dreamliner to PVD.

Advertisement