Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

I have to say, I am flying tomorrow with Norwegian.

I was very nervous about flying on 737 Max so I was glad to hear they were grounded.

Norwegian have now switched my plane and my flight is delayed but I don't mind that, I accept that they are working with what they have.

They have offered me a full refund if the delay didn't work, I know they had to cause of EU regulations but I don't think you can really ask for much more than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just curious - how much of a delay was it CBCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

Have a Norwegian flight from DUB to PVD booked on May 2nd with a connecting flight leaving PVD 2 hrs later. So I haven't a clue what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

DK224 wrote: »
    Have a Norwegian flight from DUB to PVD booked on May 2nd with a connecting flight leaving PVD 2 hrs later. So I haven't a clue what to do!

Is it actually a connection? Ie on same PNR/ticket or have you bought separate tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Just curious - how much of a delay was it CBCB?

6 hrs - was meant to be travelling to Helsinki tomorrow afternoon but now it’s the evening.

It doesn’t really effect me as no connecting flights or anything booked so I’m just happy that the flight is still going.

I’ll miss an evening of my holiday but on the scheme of things it could be a lot worse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

DK224 wrote: »
    At this point no-one does. So I wouldnt start worrying too much right away.
    They could be back in the air in 2-3 weeks.
    The German order is the only one with an actual timeframe and can be rescinded if needed.
    I expect there will be more clarity in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

Marcusm wrote: »
    Is it actually a connection? Ie on same PNR/ticket or have you bought separate tickets?
    Sorry purchased on separate tickets Sun Country Airlines from PVD to Nashville

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭VG31

Tenger wrote: »
    They could be back in the air in 2-3 weeks.

The FAA has said they will be grounded until at least May.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47567039

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

VG31 wrote: »
    The FAA has said they will be grounded until at least May.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47567039

The Norwegian apologists can read what the dogs on the street know. Even Norwegian know it will be ages as they stopped taking bookings for the rest of march and April. its not really bookable with only flexi option for the rest of the year, Ie 600+ for a ticket one way.

My guess is they wont have a substitute plane so by keeping it last minute they will hope people will have no choice but to take the awkward flight to Stewart rather then them cancelling and booking another airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Limpy wrote: »
    The Norwegian apologists can read what the dogs on the street know. Even Norwegian know it will be ages as they stopped taking bookings for the rest of march and April. its not really bookable with only flexi option for the rest of the year, Ie 600+ for a ticket one way.

My guess is they wont have a substitute plane so by keeping it last minute they will hope people will have no choice but to take the awkward flight to Stewart rather then them cancelling and booking another airline.

You do know that if the problem is solved tomorrow, the booking engine can be re-opened and flights go as normal. Norwegian, or any other airline for that matter, run a tight schedule on their aircraft and very rarely have any spare, with the only real downtime being for maintenance, them pulling 787’s off other routes and amalgamating two routes into one, obviously using the airport that suits the 787 better is fair game in my opinion and a good choice by Norwegian but obviously even in such a crappy situation you can’t please everyone.

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    You do know that if the problem is solved tomorrow, the booking engine can be re-opened and flights go as normal. Norwegian, or any other airline for that matter, run a tight schedule on their aircraft and very rarely have any spare, with the only real downtime being for maintenance, them pulling 787’s off other routes and amalgamating two routes into one, obviously using the airport that suits the 787 better is fair game in my opinion and a good choice by Norwegian but obviously even in such a crappy situation you can’t please everyone.

Definitely if it means getting people home. But the current situation can't go on till may in all fairness. They need to make a call ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The OH flew to Ireland on the 787 Yesterday. Got a nice free upgrade to Premium Economy, they gave out meals to all passengers as an apology and of course she was on a plane with TVs. The downside is that it ended up leaving SWF a few hours late, but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

errlloyd wrote: »
    The OH flew to Ireland on the 787 Yesterday. Got a nice free upgrade to Premium Economy, they gave out meals to all passengers as an apology and of course she was on a plane with TVs. The downside is that it ended up leaving SWF a few hours late, but that's life.

The premium seats are great, loads of leg room, big comfy chair, if you get the two window seats with the panel behind you near the exit it's ideal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Really wish they advised if the new Toronto route is opening on time or being pushed back. Being kept in limbo which sucks, would have assumed they just axe it for now until the situation is clear. Cant imagine they will fly people to new york and bus them to Toronto(that would be hell)

From the 29th of March the Shannon/Cork to Providence flights start, as it stands they would have to shuttle the Cork or Shannon passengers to Dublin to Board a flight to Stewart, then to shuttle them by bus to Providence. 7 hour original trip will take how long? then you have to get to Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

From the 29th of March the Shannon/Cork to Providence flights start, as it stands they would have to shuttle the Cork or Shannon passengers to Dublin to Board a flight to Stewart, then to shuttle them by bus to Providence. 7 hour original trip will take how long? then you have to get to Boston.

The Shannon flights no start till May. Why travel all over the place? Make it easy on u by just going direct from Shannon to RI. Its simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

mikel97 wrote: »
    The Shannon flights no start till May. Why travel all over the place? Make it easy on u by just going direct from Shannon to RI. Its simple.
    They were originally due to start the end of March though, therefore passengers will need to be accommodated. As will ORK-PVD sand DUB-YHM passengers. The 787 only had capacity for the DUB-SWF and PVD pax, anyway that 787 will be needed back in LGW soon so it remains to be seen what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

mikel97 wrote: »

1). No, they are scheduled to start at the end of March, however that is completely up in the air right now.

2). Of course going direct from Shannon to (RI?-Rhode Island?) is preferable, read back over the last few pages and you may see why may not be possible. Something to do with a certain plane that flies that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Also in a Norwegian Q&A with Forbes they said the 787 currently doing Dub - Swf isn't scheduled right now, but will be needed at the start of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

JCX BXC wrote: »
    1). No, they are scheduled to start at the end of March, however that is completely up in the air right now.

2). Of course going direct from Shannon to (RI?-Rhode Island?) is preferable, read back over the last few pages and you may see why may not be possible. Something to do with a certain plane that flies that route.

Oh I know all about it. Ok its down in the system as Nai73NG. as the Irish sayings I love its "Sure it'll be grand ya naw":)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

JCX BXC wrote: »

Or not up in the air, as the case may be.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

The sensible thing would be to merge the Shannon - Cork flights into the Dublin flight daily using a Dreamliner to PVD. Does PVD have the runway to accommodate the Dreamliner? If not then April is going to be a tough month for them.

The sensible thing would be to merge the Shannon - Cork flights into the Dublin flight daily using a Dreamliner to PVD. Does PVD have the runway to accommodate the Dreamliner? If not then April is going to be a tough month for them.

Would it though? The 787 can only fit the DUB-SWF and PVD pax and anyway that 787 is only temporary and will be needed back in LGW in the next few weeks when the summer schedule starts. If the issues aren’t ironed out by then, which is sounding unlikely, I can see Norwegian getting 2 hire ins for their flights. One in DUB to cover SWF & PVD pax and one in SNN around cover SNN-PVD/SWF and ORK-PVD pax, who knows what will happen though I’m sure Norwegian don’t. There’s also the question surrounding what’s going to happen to DUB-YHM due to begin at the end of the month

Shn99 wrote: »
    Would it though? The 787 can only fit the DUB-SWF and PVD pax and anyway that 787 is only temporary and will be needed back in LGW in the next few weeks when the summer schedule starts. If the issues aren’t ironed out by then, which is sounding unlikely, I can see Norwegian getting 2 hire ins for their flights. One in DUB to cover SWF & PVD pax and one in SNN around cover SNN-PVD/SWF and ORK-PVD pax, who knows what will happen though I’m sure Norwegian don’t. There’s also the question surrounding what’s going to happen to DUB-YHM due to begin at the end of the month

It would be bad for SNN and ORK airports if they lose those flights. Fingers crossed.

It would be bad for SNN and ORK airports if they lose those flights. Fingers crossed.

Passengers already booked have to be accomodated, they cant be left high and dry. The flights will resume as normal once the MAX grounding has been lifted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Passengers already booked have to be accomodated, they cant be left high and dry. The flights will resume as normal once the MAX grounding has been lifted

They could just cancel your flight and/or re-route you

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Unfortunately they can, completely exceptional circumstances. Right now I think Norwegian are playing it well - they are trying and being proactive but it's not sustainable.

If theres no positive movement on the max by end of March I can see them canning markets and Ireland, particularly the regions is probably low hanging fruit for the chop. The max isn't a huge factor for them in context of available seats but the costs being incurred are.

It's really a very unfortunate airline.

Medium term I think we will see something more drastic and would fear the game is nearly up or that the salvageable components will be spun off with the debt ridden entity adandoned and that we'll see a vastly different Norwegian 2.0

Unfortunately they can, completely exceptional circumstances. Right now I think Norwegian are playing it well - they are trying and being proactive but it's not sustainable.

If theres no positive movement on the max by end of March I can see them canning markets and Ireland, particularly the regions is probably low hanging fruit for the chop. The max isn't a huge factor for them in context of available seats but the costs being incurred are.

It's really a very unfortunate airline.

Medium term I think we will see something more drastic and would fear the game is nearly up or that the salvageable components will be spun off with the debt ridden entity adandoned and that we'll see a vastly different Norwegian 2.0

There's no option to even book Irish flights without paying a princely sum. So right now they are short planes. Not taking bookings, refunding passengers and bussing the others who take the re route option. Add in they are struggling financially and you can't see how they will sustain this. I hope they do but they will need to make a call soon or the bleeding will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone had any cancellations from Norwegian yet?

My flight isn’t for another four weeks, ex Shannon, and I’ve contacted them looking to see what the story is. I realise they are probably still trying to figure out what to do and also waiting on Boeing decision, but at what stage is my flight likely to be cancelled?

I can get a flight with EI, (+€700 difference at the moment) but I’d take it if I knew I was getting a refund of the Norwegian flight. I have too many other things prepaid in US to not get there!!

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone had any cancellations from Norwegian yet?

My flight isn’t for another four weeks, ex Shannon, and I’ve contacted them looking to see what the story is. I realise they are probably still trying to figure out what to do and also waiting on Boeing decision, but at what stage is my flight likely to be cancelled?

I can get a flight with EI, (+€700 difference at the moment) but I’d take it if I knew I was getting a refund of the Norwegian flight. I have too many other things prepaid in US to not get there!!

If your lucky they will substitute the plane for another 747, the max8 plane will not fly by next month.

If they don't they will offer you a seat on the flight to Stewart New York, then bus you to Providance, again probably from Dublin. If your not happy with going to Stewart you should book new flights. I am on they same boat but I am accepting the fact I'll be flying to Stewart.

Advertisement