Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oh man, they want to use that one Dreamliner Dublin - Swf to replace Dublin - Providence too. They're gonna bus everyone from downtown NYC to Boston. Just 5 hours on a bus altogether. That is rough.

Glad they have a route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

errlloyd wrote: »
    Oh man, they want to use that one Dreamliner Dublin - Swf to replace Dublin - Providence too. They're gonna bus everyone from downtown NYC to Boston. Just 5 hours on a bus altogether. That is rough.

Glad they have a route though.

Hardly from downtown NYC though? It’s from SWF to PVD airport. 3 hours, not great at all but not 5.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Hardly from downtown NYC though? It’s from SWF to PVD airport. 3 hours, not great at all but not 5.

Yeah think I misread the release to be fair. It said "bus on arrival in NYC" which I took to mean actual New York City - not Stewart. But Norwegian probably considers Newburgh part of NYC.

3 hours isn't amazing, but it is slightly compensated by the fact you'll now be on a plane with Wifi and TVs!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I gus they won't have to refund pax if they provide an alternative flight. Sucks but atleast people with get home ect without paying crazy money. Today's providance to Dublin was cancelled. Can stewart airport handle a dreamliner?

This couldn't of come at a worse time. St Patrick's weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Fair play to Norwegian, tough situation to find themselves in considering their current unknown future and the fact this is outside their control but they are trying to make it work.

Hopefully won't be the straw that breaks the camels back for them as a company. I've yet to do a transatlantic flight with them but was hoping to get one in in the future, it's a great option to have for those of us on a budget and that aren't fussed with all the extras and don't mind the extra travel at the end. I've been on a couple of their European flights and they definitely seem like one of the most amenable and customer friendly LCCs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Fair play to Norwegian, tough situation to find themselves in considering their current unknown future and the fact this is outside their control but they are trying to make it work.

Hopefully won't be the straw that breaks the camels back for them as a company. I've yet to do a transatlantic flight with them but was hoping to get one in in the future, it's a great option to have for those of us on a budget and that aren't fussed with all the extras and don't mind the extra travel at the end. I've been on a couple of their European flights and they definitely seem like one of the most amenable and customer friendly LCCs.

I found them great now to be honest. My husband and I would be pretty easy going and I couldn't care less about food, entertainment etc. You can bring it yourself. I would be devastated if they stopped, visiting my in laws every second year would almost be out of reach if we had to pay Aer Lingus prices. For us it isnt a holiday, its my husband seeing his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

789 on its way from LGW to operate the combo flight.

Interesting that Norwegian are saying they will be going after Boeing with the invoice for all this when it could be argued the regulators have caused this (until more is known they are acting against manufacturer recommendations)

Luckily for them EU261 doesn't seem to come into play but all the shuffling, lost revenue and extra costs will certainly have an impact on an already strained company.

GF lives in New York and I live in Dublin. One of the two of us will fly Norwegian every single month. It'd be a real blow to us if they couldn't keep making it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting that Norwegian are saying they will be going after Boeing with the invoice for all this when it could be argued the regulators have caused this (until more is known they are acting against manufacturer recommendations)

Really wouldn't be a good idea to add heavy financial costs for the regulator into the regulator's safety decision making process.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

There's a ham on Joe Duffy now. Saying her Norwegian to providence flight is cancelled so they are flying her to Stewart and then organising a bus to bring her to providence. But she said she doesn't want to go to providence, she wants to go to boston. Joe Duffy told her she should start a petition on the flight

I have flown Norwegian and would highly recommend them.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say great customer service. Friendly shop floor staff? Yes. But thery are leaving people hanging. They could do pax a favour and cancel in a timely manner so people can book alternative flights. They are stringing people along.

What if you have a flight booked which is now not showing for booking and you need add another family member ect.

This episode will make or break them. Ryanair were the same for awhile but they atleast engaged with the customers with an efficient online chat service.

The government (MFT) need to put pressure on Norweigian as it's a serious matter.

It seems Norwegian's flight to SWF would land comfortably early enough to return tonight (it's only delayed 40 minutes atm). Why aren't they? Is the flight crew unable to do anymore because of the extra hop from Gatwick, or are they trying to rebook tomorrows people on to the flight as well?

EDIT: Passengers just got a text to say it will depart tonight and they apologised for incorrectly saying on their website would depart tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

787 is on stand at Dublin Airport now, always nice to have one of these big aircraft at Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Limpy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say great customer service. Friendly shop floor staff? Yes. But thery are leaving people hanging. They could do pax a favour and cancel in a timely manner so people can book alternative flights. They are stringing people along.

What if you have a flight booked which is now not showing for booking and you need add another family member ect.

This episode will make or break them. Ryanair were the same for awhile but they atleast engaged with the customers with an efficient online chat service.

The government (MFT) need to put pressure on Norweigian as it's a serious matter.

To be fair they've had a significant proportion of their fleet grounded with very little notice to themselves let alone the customers and it's barely been 48 hours. It's pretty unprecedented for the whole industry let alone Norwegian. I can only imagine the scrambling that's going on behind closed doors to try and get everyone accommodated on all the scheduled flights. Considering it's still completely unknown if or when they'll be able to fly them again, it would imo be irresponsible to keep taking bookings for flights coming up in the immediate future until they've got a handle on the situation.

Ryanair situation was different, that was a major mess up on their own part and I very much doubt it was "make or break" for them, they're exponentially bigger than Norwegian and could probably ground their whole fleet for months and still have money in the bank. A slew of cancelled flights and some bad press for a few months would never have been enough to finish them.

To be fair they've had a significant proportion of their fleet grounded with very little notice to themselves let alone the customers and it's barely been 48 hours. It's pretty unprecedented for the whole industry let alone Norwegian. I can only imagine the scrambling that's going on behind closed doors to try and get everyone accommodated on all the scheduled flights. Considering it's still completely unknown if or when they'll be able to fly them again, it would imo be irresponsible to keep taking bookings for flights coming up in the immediate future until they've got a handle on the situation.

Ryanair situation was different, that was a major mess up on their own part and I very much doubt it was "make or break" for them, they're exponentially bigger than Norwegian and could probably ground their whole fleet for months and still have money in the bank. A slew of cancelled flights and some bad press for a few months would never have been enough to finish them.

Make or break Norweigian not Ryanair.

Totally understand its unprecedented. I hope they sort this mess out, I used them before and had a pleasant flight. But they could easily get Information across better.

If they will operate a flight they would need a plane, pilots and crew in advance. So if they don't have them for a flight cancel it. If they have then tell the people your flight will go ahead. These general statements offer no real information and only create more uncertainty.

I've to say I think they've done alright. As I said I know one person on tonights flight, they rebooked her tonight and rebooked her return to give her the extra day. They communicated reasonably early. Both times before she headed for the airport (which she does 5 hours before the flight to get a train downtown to the bus which takes 90 minutes and arrives 3 hours before).

I had a friend on the canceled Boston flight this morning. I think they got 5 hours notice, enough time to Rebook on an Aer Lingus flight and claim the difference in refund v new cost from Laya travel insurance. They'll arrive more comfortably, on time, and probably pick up some sweet sweet points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

There's a ham on Joe Duffy now. Saying her Norwegian to providence flight is cancelled so they are flying her to Stewart and then organising a bus to bring her to providence. But she said she doesn't want to go to providence, she wants to go to boston. Joe Duffy told her she should start a petition on the flight

The passengers have a ticket to Providence, that is where the airline will bring them, I don’t see the issue. Joe should probably retire at this stage anyway as he has a habit of giving especially poor advice

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

On the Friday afternoon flight and no idea what to do.

Rang them and they cant fit 6 of us until the Sunday

On the Friday afternoon flight and no idea what to do.

Rang them and they cant fit 6 of us until the Sunday

I guess the first thing is check if you made the booking on a credit card, does that credit card have travel insurance and does that insurance allow you to book a new flight if the flight you're supposed to fly on get's cancelled.

If so asl Norwegian to refund your outbound fare, book a new flight with Aer Lingus and claim the difference between your refund and the new flight from the insurance.

In failing that, check if any of the group have their own travel insurance. If 3 of you do, get those three to do that, and see if they have enough room for the other three of you on an earlier flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

errlloyd wrote: »
    I guess the first thing is check if you made the booking on a credit card, does that credit card have travel insurance and does that insurance allow you to book a new flight if the flight you're supposed to fly on get's cancelled.

If so asl Norwegian to refund your outbound fare, book a new flight with Aer Lingus and claim the difference between your refund and the new flight from the insurance.

In failing that, check if any of the group have their own travel insurance. If 3 of you do, get those three to do that, and see if they have enough room for the other three of you on an earlier flight.

Booked on a debit card. I took out insurance yesterday....not sure if that will stand up to the test.

• Advertisement

Booked on a debit card. I took out insurance yesterday....not sure if that will stand up to the test.

It should do I think, you might have to argue a little bit. If the insurance company are annoyed that the flight wasn't cancelled before you bought insurance their problem is with the airline, not you. Some companies don't cover regulator groundings, but others do. Laya, for example, you might be okay. Give them a call, record it. Best of luck!

Any idea when the booking system will be back. It doesn't look good in the short term for (Providance--DUB). They can't keep ferrying passengers on a dreamliner to different airports. What's the chances PVD gets pulled untill the max returns? Can't see them resuming from Shannon to Cork either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If the MAX isn't back by start of May things will get interesting as Norwegian will need the 787 back at LGW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Any idea when the booking system will be back. It doesn't look good in the short term for (Providance--DUB). They can't keep ferrying passengers on a dreamliner to different airports. What's the chances PVD gets pulled untill the max returns? Can't see them resuming from Shannon to Cork either.

I’m due to fly SNN - PVD and return via Stewart over Easter. I’m hoping there is a resolution by then, but I think all I can do is wait and see?

ratracer wrote: »
    I’m due to fly SNN - PVD and return via Stewart over Easter. I’m hoping there is a resolution by then, but I think all I can do is wait and see?

The 737max won't be back for sure. I found out if you don't take the stewart flight instead of PVD you won't get a refund. So you could book an alternative flight with another Aerline but you won't be refunded by Norweigian. Since they will be getting you to your destination. It could end up you will be put on the Dublin PVD flight but that will be going to Stewart in (NY), then a bus to PVD at a mad hour. Shambles really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It is a shambles but it’s better than them just refunding you (in most cases) as rebooking could be very costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It is a shambles but it’s better than them just refunding you (in most cases) as rebooking could be very costly.

Shambles by who ?

TimHorton wrote: »
    Shambles by who ?

All bar the passengers.

Boeing for the plane and Norweigian for the service.

All passengers booked on affected flights should have the option to cancel or rebook free of charge. Norweigian are keeping people waiting until the last minute to cancel and re route them.

People understand the situation. All they want is information early so they can rebook with another airline. People travelling with older people, sick kids, disabled people ect don't need to be kept in the dark about there flight and stuck in an airport. The 737max won't fly for months and all those people booked on those planes could rebook if they were allowed cancel.

Its indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Boeing for the plane and Norweigian for the service.

The 737max won't fly for months

Its indefensible.

Hang on a second there, are you suggesting that the authorities should have kept the Max flying?

The operator grounded it's Max fleet on safety grounds, and it's safety which overrides all other issues!

It's not like Airlines can suddenly come up with a standby fleet of aircraft immediately after the grounding of the Max...

They arranged for the 787 to come in and provide the service and have to abide by the law when it comes to compensating passengers, unless you know of cases where the operator is breaking the law??

Also are you an insider who knows how long the 737Max fleet will be grounded for?

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Hang on a second there, are you suggesting that the authorities should have kept the Max flying?

The operator grounded it's Max fleet on safety grounds, and it's safety which overrides all other issues!

It's not like Airlines can suddenly come up with a standby fleet of aircraft immediately after the grounding of the Max...

They arranged for the 787 to come in and provide the service and have to abide by the law when it comes to compensating passengers, unless you know of cases where the operator is breaking the law??

Also are you an insider who knows how long the 737Max fleet will be grounded for?

Southwest airlines offered refunds and booking for flights on the max.

Germany has banned it till June so most of Europe will be the same.

Advertisement