Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

kub wrote: »
    You are correct, when they started the service ex Cork, they used the 737 800. It did the job and i only ever recall reading on here once that a flight had to get a top up in Canada.
    I imagine Norwegian will be taking a hit here with regard to excess fuel usage but then that will just be put onto the invoice for Boeing.

Didn’t they have to limit the amount of passengers on it to 160 or something? Not efficient at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Didn’t they have to limit the amount of passengers on it to 160 or something? Not efficient at all.

To be fair, all they want to do is protect their market share. I know their cashflow sucks, but they are probably backing themselves to get compensation from Boeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I believe they do have a couple of ETOPS certified NG's spare or in little use... any others will have to be pulled from shorter routes within the EU, they did this initially on the Irish-US routes before the Max arrived...
    Though will be a real pain for passengers and the operator having to stop for a fuel top up on the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

Also, a friend that was due to fly SNN - SWF on 9th April recieved an email today changing his flight to Dub - Swf on April 10th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

As ratracer said above. Flight from Shannon to TF Green on 1 April was cancelled and only option available was to fly from Dublin to Stewart and bus back to TF Green.... or request a refund.

Refund requested.

Muppet Man

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Shouldn't be an issue with Cork spring loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

ratracer wrote: »
    Also, a friend that was due to fly SNN - SWF on 9th April recieved an email today changing his flight to Dub - Swf on April 10th.

Hmm, my flight is before that, and nothing received yet at all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

https://www.joe.ie/news/norwegian-cork-shannon-dublin-airport-663161

Info here. Couldn't find then official sourse report. An hour ago I was told Shannon to PVD on a dreamliner, and I have the chat saved. My Dublin flight is on a Wed, says here it won't be operating to providance on a Wed. Who's running Norwegian customer service comical Ali 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Affected customers have been contacted by SMS text messages which include their options to rebook or receive a full refund.

Oh no they haven't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Shannon Airport have announced just now on Facebook that Norwegian passengers due to travel between to 01st to 10th of April will be bused to Dublin where the flight will be combined with the DUB flights on 787s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭crushproof

BZ wrote: »
    Shannon Airport have announced just now on Facebook that Norwegian passengers due to travel between to 01st to 10th of April will be bused to Dublin where the flight will be combined with the DUB flights on 787s.

Wonder how many passengers would have been embarking in Shannon and whether it would have been worthwhile to stop in Shannon on the way.

I doubt some passengers are going to make their way to Shannon and then take a bus to Dublin! Crazy logic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

https://media.uk.norwegian.com/pressreleases/norwegian-confirms-temporary-ireland-summer-operation-from-31-march-10-april-2851844

Travel information for Shannon customers: Travel period 1-10 April
    Shannon-New York (Stewart) and Providence:
    Customers travelling from Shannon to New York (Stewart) and Providence have been transferred to flight D8 1763 on Norwegian’s Dublin to New York (Stewart) service using the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
    New York (Stewart) and Providence-Shannon:
    Passengers travelling from New York (Stewart) and Providence to Shannon have been re-accommodated on flight D8 1762 from New York (Stewart) to Dublin on the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
    Norwegian has arranged bus transportation, departing at 9:30am, for customers at Shannon Airport to arrive at Dublin Airport Terminal 2 at 12:30pm to meet their flight. Customers travelling on 31 March can also benefit from the bus service. Buses will also meet arriving passengers at Dublin Airport’s coach park at 8:30am for those travelling to Shannon.
    Travel information for Cork customers: Travel period 2-9 April
    Cork-Providence:
    Customers booked to travel from Cork to Providence on flight D8 1821 have been transferred to flight D8 1823 from Dublin to Providence serviced by a Boeing 737-800.
    Providence-Cork:
    Those booked to travel on flight D8 1820 from Providence to Cork have been re-accommodated on flight D8 1822 from Providence to Dublin on the Boeing 737-800.
    Norwegian will also arrange a bus service for passengers from Cork Airport to Dublin Airport to meet their onward flight. The bus departs at 9:00am arriving at Dublin Airport Terminal 2 at 3:00pm. Customers arriving at Dublin for Cork will be met upon arrival with a bus at the coach park outside Terminal 2 at 8:00am.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0325/1038491-norwegian-air-boeing/

Passengers travelling from Cork or Shannon to and from New York Stewart and Providence will be bused to and from Dublin airport for their flights, where required.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shannon-Providence pax are bussed to Dublin to travel to Newburgh and onto Providence by bus

Cork-Providence pax are bussed to Dublin to travel to Providence but the Cork-Dublin bus takes 6 hours

Quite inconvenient

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

I know the Dreamliner has twice the capacity of 737Max, but passenger numbers must have been pretty low if they can merge two Dub flights, two Snn flights and the cork flight all on one plane!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Imagine going from Shannon with a young kid.

They should of just merged Shannon and Cork and fly to PVD and back. It's as I though, keep people in the dark so aer lingus prices going up its not an affordable option. Then your have to take Norwegians plan B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

ratracer wrote: »
    I know the Dreamliner has twice the capacity of 737Max, but passenger numbers must have been pretty low if they can merge two Dub flights, two Snn flights and the cork flight all on one plane!

Yeah probably but also they’ll know a lot of people won’t put up with that hassle and will opt for refund and rebook with another carrier, or just cancel their trip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

marno21 wrote: »
    Shannon-Providence pax are bussed to Dublin to travel to Newburgh and onto Providence by bus

Cork-Providence pax are bussed to Dublin to travel to Providence but the Cork-Dublin bus takes 6 hours

Quite inconvenient

Are they going Cork to Shannon to Dublin or what? How would the bus take 6 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Are they going Cork to Shannon to Dublin or what? How would the bus take 6 hours?

3 hours up 3 hours back I am assuming.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It could be a crew hours thing. Get the lower numbers up to Dublin. Aircraft ferries from Gatwick and collects pax from all 3 airports at Dublin then departs for Stewart.
    Perhaps it an issue with engineering/handling facilities for the B787?
    Does SNN get B787s? I know ORK does not.

And consider that Norwegian could have just done the ‘cancel and refund’ option only. At least here we see them providing an option for those pax who still want to/need to travel.

Maybe the bus is SNN-ORK-DUB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Tenger wrote: »
    It could be a crew hours thing. Get the lower numbers up to Dublin. Aircraft ferries from Gatwick and collects pax from all 3 airports at Dublin then departs for Stewart.
    Perhaps it an issue with engineering/handling facilities for the B787?
    Does SNN get B787s? I know ORK does not.

And consider that Norwegian could have just done the ‘cancel and refund’ option only. At least here we see them providing an option for those pax who still want to/need to travel.

Maybe the bus is SNN-ORK-DUB?
    Yes SNN flights will be operated by 787 from DUB with PVDpax on flight to SWF and bussed to PVD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

This situation seems to change by the day....

If they can run the NG to Toronto then the services from ORK and SNN can run to Stewart and Providence also....

I'd expect more announcements from sources in the airline...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If they can run the NG to Toronto then the services from ORK and SNN can run to Stewart and Providence also....

Dependent on them having the frames to do it - which they don't without cutting services elsewhere.

They'd also have to take a load hit to do it (as they did pre-MAX), albeit they are already restricting sales to allow for the mega-merger to a 787.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This situation seems to change by the day....

I'd expect more announcements from sources in the airline...

Probably because the airline is dynamically firefighting the impact of the MAX grounding on their operation. As they juggle bookings, airframes and posssible hire-ins they will alter their plans.
    They probably had to reroute Gatwick passengers to free up the B787 to operate from DUB. They could be cancelling flights in Europe to free up a B737NG for other flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If Norwegian keep trading and got compensation from Boeing. Could this Situation actually turn out to be beneficial for them? Also when cork and Shannon are linked by m20, is it not more likely that airlines will just fly from one of those airports and not both?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The M20 won't be finished for a decade at least

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That is horrendous on the bus. Then the flight, then onwards travel again when u get there? Dear god. Could they not fly Dublin to cork or Shannon and pick up those passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

So if you booked a direct flight from ORK to PVD you get a bus to Dublin, fly to SWF get a bus to PVD and then from PVD to your final destination. Sounds like they are just hoping people will take the refund...

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Probably because the airline is dynamically firefighting

Is that Corporate double speak for they(Norwegian planners) don't have a fig roll what they are doing? ;)

Advertisement