Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Shamrockj wrote: »
    So if you booked a direct flight from ORK to PVD you get a bus to Dublin, fly to SWF get a bus to PVD and then from PVD to your final destination. Sounds like they are just hoping people will take the refund...

In which case, why don’t they just offer a refund and that would quickly allow them plan for actual numbers travelling. I know I won’t be taking that option if that’s what’s given to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Is that Corporate double speak for they(Norwegian planners) don't have a fig roll what they are doing? ;)

They have no idea when the MAX will be allowed fly again - if the FAA are allowed determine that alone it could be within days; if the EASA decide to dig in to the certification it could actually be years. Its likely to be somewhere in between the two of those options!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

This situation seems to change by the day....

If they can run the NG to Toronto then the services from ORK and SNN can run to Stewart and Providence also....

I'd expect more announcements from sources in the airline...

They have confirmed to me that an NG will service Toronto on the 1st. However they keep saying from the 2nd onwards everything is to be cancelled. I've reports of people booked in April that their flight dates are being moved either forward or back by 1.

Edit:

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9239673-norwegian-air-finds-plane-for-hamilton-to-dublin-route/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Is that Corporate double speak for they(Norwegian planners) don't have a fig roll what they are doing? ;)
    Pretty much.
    As pointed out above, nobody has any idea of the length of the grounding so airlines are scrambling to rebook pax, juggle their fleet and hire charter aircraft.

The fact that they are providing options shows they are at least trying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Doylers wrote: »
    They have confirmed to me that an NG will service Toronto on the 1st. However they keep saying from the 2nd onwards everything is to be cancelled. I've reports of people booked in April that their flight dates are being moved either forward or back by 1

A work college is flying to Toronto in May and they moved the flight forward by one day. That was just after the max issue so the decision could of been made before then.

Has anybody seen the source of the new arrangement information, Norwegian have not put anything on the website, Facebook or twitter. I asked Norwegian about this on the chat and they have got no information. Rte quote Reuters but I couldn't find anything or a name of a Norwegian spok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Limpy wrote: »
    A work college is flying to Toronto in May and they moved the flight forward by one day. That was just after the max issue so the decision could of been made before then.

Has anybody seen the source of the new arrangement information, Norwegian have not put anything on the website, Facebook or twitter. I asked Norwegian about this on the chat and they have got no information. Rte quote Reuters but I couldn't find anything or a name of a Norwegian spok.

See my edit

See my edit

Sorry Doylers I was looking for the source for Shannon cork and Dublin to Providence/Stewart arrangements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Was chatting to one of the Dublin based crew, the only remaining flights on her roster are the Toronto Hamilton’s, and she’s sure it will be on the NG if the have them to spare. But nobody knows more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sorry Doylers I was looking for the source for Shannon cork and Dublin to Providence/Stewart arrangements.

Most of the "News" seems to be coming from passengers ringing Norweigian's customer services and that then being picked up by news blogs like Joe.ie etc.

I’m due to fly SNN - PVD on Apr 17th, this is the latest reply I received from Norwegian via DM on Twitter:

We have been checking your reservation, and at this point your flight is scheduled as you reserved it.
    At the moment that any change occurs, then we will contact you via sms/email using the contact information you provided in your booking.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards.

So, remains to be seen whether SNN service will resume after Apr 10th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Idbatterim wrote: »
    That is horrendous on the bus. Then the flight, then onwards travel again when u get there? Dear god. Could they not fly Dublin to cork or Shannon and pick up those passengers?
    Bussing either Shannon or Cork passengets to the other airport and then collect with B787 flying out of Dublin is a sound idea.
    However it adds hours to the flight crew day and increased cycles on the aircraft.

Its not clear if the aircraft will be temporarily based in Dublin. If it is coming from Gatwick to Dublin, then on to the US, thats 2 sectors. Everytime you add a sector it reduces the maximum duty time for the pilots. So going via SNN or ORK reduces their limit a bit more.

LGW-DUB-SWF is already a 10-11 hour day.
    Im not up to date on EASA regs but I think 13 is the max FDP?
    Of course thats me making an assumption about the aircraft basing.

Tenger wrote: »
    Bussing either Shannon or Cork passengets to the other airport and then collect with B787 flying out of Dublin is a sound idea.
    However it adds hours to the flight crew day and increased cycles on the aircraft.

Its not clear if the aircraft will be temporarily based in Dublin. If it is coming from Gatwick to Dublin, then on to the US, thats 2 sectors. Everytime you add a sector it reduces the maximum duty time for the pilots. So going via SNN or ORK reduces their limit a bit more.

LGW-DUB-SWF is already a 10-11 hour day.
    Im not up to date on EASA regs but I think 13 is the max FDP?
    Of course thats me making an assumption about the aircraft basing.

They maintain they will operate daily on the Dublin to providance route, with the SNN and ORK merged every other day with it.

That's only 1 plane and another for the Dublin-Stewart (merged) flights , surely that's not a problem for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you'd spent a day in the industry you'd know you can't click your fingers and make aircraft and crew appear at this short notice (~ 2 weeks post grounding?).

They'll have done all their ops planning ages ago and it'll have been based on operational MAX 8's with more coming online as the year goes on. At the drop of a hat they've had a serious reduction to their fleet, coupled with the fact that everyone else operating the type will be in the market for short term leases of similar type and or charter aircraft, who will undoubtedly be employing Uber style surge pricing.

I would not like to be working in any of the ops departments of any of the affected airlines because you're probably working all the hours God sends right now allied to some serious question marks over your job in the medium term if you happen to work for the likes of NAS.

Brand new Dreamliner delivered, I wonder what route it was intended for and if it will service Ireland - US routes in the interim.

https://twitter.com/norwegianuki/status/1111231213354868738?s=21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ratracer wrote: »
    Brand new Dreamliner delivered, I wonder what route it was intended for and if it will service Ireland - US routes in the interim.

https://twitter.com/norwegianuki/status/1111231213354868738?s=21
    G-CKWT been parked up at LGW since delivery on Tuesday. If anything you'd imagine the Irish routes will go back to 737-800 operations rather than 787 operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

I am flying DUB to PVD end of June, return end of July. What are the odds Norwegian will still be in business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

df02169 wrote: »
    I am flying DUB to PVD end of June, return end of July. What are the odds Norwegian will still be in business?

1.27/1

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

1.27/1

Are you being serious or is that a weak attempt at being smart? You think it's more likely than not that they will go bankrupt in the next 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

df02169 wrote: »
    Are you being serious or is that a weak attempt at being smart? You think it's more likely than not that they will go bankrupt in the next 3 months?

You asked for the odds. If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question
    Nobody knows the answer to your question, lose the attitude problem also.id be more worried that will be a problem for you getting a flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

You asked for the odds. If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question
    Nobody knows the answer to your question, lose the attitude problem also.id be more worried that will be a problem for you getting a flight.

I can not thank this post enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Evelop A330 will be operating it from Sunday until 30June

Shn99 wrote: »

On which route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

On which route?

Dublin-Newburgh

Dublin-Newburgh

Thanks!

Given your username, any word on flights ex SNN after Apr 10?

Thanks!

Given your username, any word on flights ex SNN after Apr 10?

I’m going to guess that the fact they’re hiring in an a330 to operate for them from Dublin mean they’ll continue to bus the SNN/ORK pax onto the a330 flight ex Dublin until further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They have confirmed to me that an NG will service Toronto on the 1st. However they keep saying from the 2nd onwards everything is to be cancelled. I've reports of people booked in April that their flight dates are being moved either forward or back by 1.

Edit:

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9239673-norwegian-air-finds-plane-for-hamilton-to-dublin-route/

Just putting this out there, I'm booked for later this week and my flight wasn't moved. First one to YHM is today at 2:40 pm.

I'm fully expecting my flight to be cancelled or moved, to the point where I'm probably going to rebook with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Nope, Dreamliner today, I'm sitting on it!

Nope, Dreamliner today, I'm sitting on it!

Dublin-Stewart or DUB PVD?

Dublin-Stewart or DUB PVD?

Stewart, I don’t think norwegian flight has gone to PVD since the grounding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Apparently the Evelop A333 is 388 seats, economy only. Its 2-4-2 at least though so probably an improvement from the 3-3-3 in the Dreamliner

Advertisement