Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: Far From Home [** SPOILERS FROM POST 240 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

pixelburp wrote: »
    Presumably the answer is supposed to be "none", but like I said, I don't agree. We're talking about a series that just shoehorns in material at the end, even if it doesn't make sense in the crossover / next film (see the EndGame overlap at the end of Captain Marvel that suddenly never could have happened in the actual Avengers sequel).

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't buy it. If the writers come out and confirm it, fair enough. But overall, the writing was 'off', so maybe everyone's a Skrull :)

What was the issue with Endgame/Captain Marvel? I felt that each part of it (the paging and her arrival on earth) were much better dealt with like they were in post movie scenes than they would have been during the movie itself. They are part of the background we need but could be awkward in the main story.

The director has come out and confirmed that it was planned in advance for this movie and that he was happy as it aligned with the story they were trying to tell and it helped out with some of the potential plot holes they were facing. (Fury being tricked so easily, Fury being so passive and leaving Spiderman/Mysterio to it, other heros not being brought in for such an immanent threat).

I understand why some don't like the mid/post credit scenes but many of them help move along the overall narrative of the MCU in a less jarring way than it would otherwise be.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Fantastic film and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I knew Mysterio is a villain but I only knew what he looked like and not what his powers were. I believed his multi-verse story and that he was a hero in his dimension but I expected something to happen that would make him go bad. As soon as he made the comment about the sunglasses being on the floor I realised that he was after those from the start.

It did bother me occasionally that the film was not giving a good reason why the Avengers weren’t on this gig and I would have liked (for my comfort) if Fury had given a reason but in hindsight Peter himself didn’t need it.

So was it Skrull Fury and Skrull Hill in Mexico? And did they not call in the Avengers or Doctor Strange because they worried they couldn’t fool them? Or are all the heroes on that space ship or space station with Fury?

The Arrowverse shows annoy me because so many villains and normals know the secret identities but never do anything about it. So it was good that Beck and his crew would actually be willing to ruin Parker’s life - however I also don’t want Spider-Man to revealed to the world. I like the fun in a hero having to hide his identity so I hope Phase 4 gives a fun and clever way way out this predicament. I’d rather they hadn’t done it though - Parker should be a nobody.

would be interesting to see what part Shield or whomever would play in that.

There are people (Happy, Skrull Fury, Skrull Hill and Fury) who know exactly what happened and that Peter was not to blame. It isn't just Peter vs the planet.

Obviously public opinion will be against him, but the Avengers (considered heroes again after the Blip) will be on his side.

Being accused of killing Mysterio and orchestrating the attacks is not really THE big deal there.

Spider-Man is often in that king of trouble ins’t he? Jameson always has something to blame him for.

Plus there are plenty who can vouch for him and those who wouldn’t believe some guy on a video anyway.

It is all pretty minor next to his true identity being exposed. I’m hoping Feige and his team have the intention of getting Peter out if this because I like heroes with secret identities and don’t want Parker being a celebrity like Stark or the Fantastic Four.

It made sense that Beck would want to ruin Peter’s life but I would have preferred him to remain anonymous and unconnected to Spider-Man.

It did bother me occasionally that the film was not giving a good reason why the Avengers weren’t on this gig and I would have liked (for my comfort) if Fury had given a reason but in hindsight Peter himself didn’t need it.

So was it Skrull Fury and Skrull Hill in Mexico? And did they not call in the Avengers or Doctor Strange because they worried they couldn’t fool them? Or are all the heroes on that space ship or space station with Fury?

The Arrowverse shows annoy me because so many villains and normals know the secret identities but never do anything about it. So it was good that Beck and his crew would actually be willing to ruin Parker’s life - however I also don’t want Spider-Man to revealed to the world. I like the fun in a hero having to hide his identity so I hope Phase 4 gives a fun and clever way way out this predicament. I’d rather they hadn’t done it though - Parker should be a nobody.

All these stand alone movies, like the comics, will require a certain level of suspension of disbelief regarding why the ensemble doesn't show up for the threat and, like most of the MCU, I think this movie justified their lack of appearance, especially with the reveal post credit.

I would agree with what Faux Fury said about some characters being off world and Spiderman would definitely be the safest bet for Talos to go to and not be found out, given that he never spoke to Fury and doesn't have powers like Doctor Strange who would see through it. Real Fury is extremely secretive and paranoid so likely wouldn't want to reveal the use of Skrulls on earth and what he's doing in space until he had to.

On the identity reveal, it is interesting how they go with it. There is definitely an easy out to at least throw the public off the scent by using a Skrull to copy Peter and show them both in the same place.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    All these stand alone movies, like the comics, will require a certain level of suspension of disbelief regarding why the ensemble doesn't show up for the threat and, like most of the MCU, I think this movie justified their lack of appearance, especially with the reveal post credit.

Yes, it did but you misunderstand.

I agree that each of these heroes have to mostly work alone and "Fury" not giving Peter an explanation worked in their exchanges but what I meant was that I found it occasionally and mildly distracting that they didn't supply an explanation to us at first. When the other heroes were not being referenced in someway I forgot about it.
    I would agree with what Faux Fury said about some characters being off world and Spiderman would definitely be the safest bet for Talos to go to and not be found out, given that he never spoke to Fury and doesn't have powers like Doctor Strange who would see through it. Real Fury is extremely secretive and paranoid so likely wouldn't want to reveal the use of Skrulls on earth and what he's doing in space until he had to.

It is great teaser for what is to come but also bewildering because it is going to to be yers before we find out who is with Fury and what they are doing.

There was comment early on in the school broadcast asking if the Avengers was even a thing. Maybe it isbn't or maybe they are with Fury. My guess is T'Challa, Strange, etc. are still on Earth but they wouldn't respond to the Elemental's attacks because it was clear the new guy had it covered and maybe Skull Fury told them it was fine.

When did Stark make Parker an Avenger? He turned it down in Homecoming but is there something in Infinity War I'm forgetting?
    On the identity reveal, it is interesting how they go with it. There is definitely an easy out to at least throw the public off the scent by using a Skrull to copy Peter and show them both in the same place.

A Skrull helping Peter would reveal the existence of the Skrulls to Peter who could reveal it to others unless Skrull Fury tricks him with it. I'd really have like Peter to be completely anonymous and now no matter what some people will still connect him and Spider-Man but it will be fun seeing how it turns out.

Many people were speculating that a Skrull invasion was most likely the Big Bad for the second Saga but what if the invasion is a friendly one? They are here to cover for absent heroes and maybe keeping it a secret from other heroes casques it to out of control when they start to cop on.

I imagine it has something to do with Skrull Fury talking Kree sleeper cells.

Also, I can't believe I missed Jake Gyllenhaal in that cameo - it stuck out like a sore thumb that he was watching Peter and MJ and I saw his face but it just didn't register who he was. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I agree that each of these heroes have to mostly work alone and "Fury" not giving Peter an explanation worked in their exchanges but what I meant was that I found it occasionally and mildly distracting that they didn't supply an explanation to us at first. When the other heroes were not being referenced in someway I forgot about it.

It is great teaser for what is to come but also bewildering because it is going to to be yers before we find out who is with Fury and what they are doing.

There was comment early on in the school broadcast asking if the Avengers was even a thing. Maybe it isbn't or maybe they are with Fury. My guess is T'Challa, Strange, etc. are still on Earth but they wouldn't respond to the Elemental's attacks because it was clear the new guy had it covered and maybe Skull Fury told them it was fine.

When did Stark make Parker an Avenger? He turned it down in Homecoming but is there something in Infinity War I'm forgetting?

A Skrull helping Peter would reveal the existence of the Skrulls to Peter who could reveal it to others unless Skrull Fury tricks him with it. I'd really have like Peter to be completely anonymous and now no matter what some people will still connect him and Spider-Man but it will be fun seeing how it turns out.

Many people were speculating that a Skrull invasion was most likely the Big Bad for the second Saga but what if the invasion is a friendly one? They are here to cover for absent heroes and maybe keeping it a secret from other heroes casques it to out of control when they start to cop on.

I imagine it has something to do with Skrull Fury talking Kree sleeper cells.

Also, I can't believe I missed Jake Gyllenhaal in that cameo - it stuck out like a sore thumb that he was watching Peter and MJ and I saw his face but it just didn't register who he was. :D

Peter was knighted as an Avenger, when he, Tony & Dr. Strange were on Ebony Maw's ship heading for Titan, and eventually Thanos.

Peter asks about the other heroes, when he doesn’t want to leave the tour, and ‘Fury’ gives him reasons why each can’t help. They gave us an explanation that we took to be accurate, but the post credit scene makes us question how truthful the answers were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just back from seeing it today. So I went into the movie with an idea about how the movie was going to play out. That the elemental monsters were all part of Mysterio's scheme to gain everyone's trust. It looks like I wasn't wrong as that's exactly what happened. I think most people who saw the trailers already had the same idea though, which means the story was rather predictable. Because of this, I was kind've hoping that Spider-Man would swerve us all and give us a story that was entirely different to what we saw, but I guess it was wishful thinking. I'm not disappointed with the story, I just feel like everyone knew what the story was about before going into the movie.

As far as the movie goes, it was ok. What interested me most however was what happened at the end of the movie. Happy to see J.K Simmons reprising his role as J Jonah Jameson, and the ending with Peter Parker's identity as Spider-Man being revealed was a nice touch to what you could call a cliff hanger.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Peter was knighted as an Avenger, when he, Tony & Dr. Strange were on Ebony Maw's ship heading for Titan, and eventually Thanos.

It was overshadowed by "our made up names" bit ;)

Peter asks about the other heroes, when he doesn’t want to leave the tour, and ‘Fury’ gives him reasons why each can’t help. They gave us an explanation that we took to be accurate, but the post credit scene makes us question how truthful the answers were.

Only Thor, Strange and Marvel were mentioned and there are many others more experienced than Peter that Fury could have, and should have reached out to.

I'm not suggesting they account for them all, but I felt at the time there should have been a reason to account for why there was no-one else - not for Peter but for the audience, but as I said at the end we do get a few explanations and hints as to why.

I'm not saying it was a flaw I the story - just that I found it a tiny bit distracting waiting for the proper explanation. Discussing it here has taken a lot more time and thought than I gave it in the film ;)

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Just back from seeing it today. So I went into the movie with an idea about how the movie was going to play out. That the elemental monsters were all part of Mysterio's scheme to gain everyone's trust. It looks like I wasn't wrong as that's exactly what happened. I think most people who saw the trailers already had the same idea though, which means the story was rather predictable. Because of this, I was kind've hoping that Spider-Man would swerve us all and give us a story that was entirely different to what we saw, but I guess it was wishful thinking. I'm not disappointed with the story, I just feel like everyone knew what the story was about before going into the movie.

As far as the movie goes, it was ok. What interested me most however was what happened at the end of the movie. Happy to see J.K Simmons reprising his role as J Jonah Jameson, and the ending with Peter Parker's identity as Spider-Man being revealed was a nice touch to what you could call a cliff hanger.

"Everyone" did not know what the story was going to be because not everyone watched the trailer or knew Mysterio is a villain.

I very, very rarely watch trailers and never ones for Marvel movies.

I knew it involved a school trip to Europe and saw a still of Parker and Beck shaking hands. Even though I knew Mystreio is a bad guy I wasn't familiar with his powers and I believed he was a good guy especially because of how he spoke to Peter. I assumed though, that something was going to happen to turn him bad along the way - it wasn't until he commented hi surprise that the Stark shades were on the floor that I realised he was after those all along.

So I did get all the surprises.

Bringing J.K. Simmons back as Jameson is a bit unimaginative - but then again the man was born for the role. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I enjoyed it. Probably not as good as Homecoming tho.
    Mysterio was good but I thought there would be more of a twist. I knew he was a villian going on having known the character but I expected something different.

Then again, a lot of people probably never heard of the character and just going off the trailers. Which I could see would be a great and interesting surprise. Especially the use of tricks (or holograms in this case)

As another user said above, I did expect a different spin on it however. Probably a bit silly in this age of youtube to make a character like mysterio appear as a good guy in trailers. Knowing ever tom, dick and harry would be saying he's not on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Only Thor, Strange and Marvel were mentioned and there are many others more experienced than Peter that Fury could have, and should have reached out to.

I'm not suggesting they account for them all, but I felt at the time there should have been a reason to account for why there was no-one else - not for Peter but for the audience, but as I said at the end we do get a few explanations and hints as to why.

I'm not saying it was a flaw I the story - just that I found it a tiny bit distracting waiting for the proper explanation. Discussing it here has taken a lot more time and thought than I gave it in the film ;)

Stark left Edith to Peter, I assumed that's why he was their first call. I need to rewatch it again but I also don't know if it was Real-Fury's plan to involve Peter in the Mysterio business which seemed to arise while he was on holiday and Talos was in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Stark left Edith to Peter, I assumed that's why he was their first call. I need to rewatch it again but I also don't know if it was Real-Fury's plan to involve Peter in the Mysterio business which seemed to arise while he was on holiday and Talos was in his place.

It seems Talos was supposed to give Edith to Peter and then just watch over him. Talos then just winged the Elementals and Mysterio parts trying to be Fury. Thats why Soren made him call Fury eventually and Talos had to admit things went off the rails after giving Peter Edith.

The conversation they had when Peter was trying to get out of it made it clear that everyone else was unavailable and it is only him, which is why 'Fury' was going to such efforts to drag him into it.

If you go into one of these stand alone movies with the expectation that you'll get an ironclad explanation why there's a limited number of characters there in these stand alone movies you'll end up distracted or disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Peter Parker:

Can't you call any of the other Avengers? Dr Strange? Captain marvel?

Nick Fury:

Oh right. Good point. Fair enough.

** Roll Credits **

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 23%

"Worst MCU film by far. It ended after 45 minutes"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The conversation they had when Peter was trying to get out of it made it clear that everyone else was unavailable and it is only him, which is why 'Fury' was going to such efforts to drag him into it.

If you go into one of these stand alone movies with the expectation that you'll get an ironclad explanation why there's a limited number of characters there in these stand alone movies you'll end up distracted or disappointed.

I enjoyed the film and as you say, expecting a solid explanation for the absences will only lead to disappointment but honestly, they explanation they gave was awful.
    Skrull Fury acted offended at Marvel's name being envoked to purely serve as a kewl post Skrull reveal obvious hint in hindsight, yet in another scene they're pushing the elementals as an apocalyptic occurrence.

To say that whatever "mission" the likes of Bucky, Falcon, Ant Man, Wasp, Hulk, Scarlett Witch and Blank Panther are on trumps that occurrence is either ludicrous or hyper convenient.

As I said it didn't bother me, but there's no point trying to defend it.

I enjoyed the film and as you say, expecting a solid explanation for the absences will only lead to disappointment but honestly, they explanation they gave was awful.
    Skrull Fury acted offended at Marvel's name being envoked to purely serve as a kewl post Skrull reveal obvious hint in hindsight, yet in another scene they're pushing the elementals as an apocalyptic occurrence.

To say that whatever "mission" the likes of Bucky, Falcon, Ant Man, Wasp, Hulk, Scarlett Witch and Blank Panther are on trumps that occurrence is either ludicrous or hyper convenient.

As I said it didn't bother me, but there's no point trying to defend it.

Without the post credit scene seemed pretty weak but when you take that into account it raises whether Talos could have been lying to Peter with those explanations. The other heroes would be much more likely to see through him as being a fake, having known Fury directly or indirectly or be a lot less deferential to Fury than an inexpericned teenager. Either one massively increases the risk of the Skrulls being found out, which would be unlikely to end well for them individually and whatever operation the real Fury is running.

FunLover18 wrote: »

I think I'm still being misunderstood.

I was not criticising the story or the writing. "They are not available" is all a guy like Fury needs to tell a kid like Peter - I was just making a comment that I found it a bit distracting that the absence of any other Avenger was not sufficiently explained to the audience. My enjoyment was not affected and yes, it is explained at the end.;)

It didn't occur to me until just now but Fury (real Fury) kept EDITH from Peter for 8 months after Stark's death. There was nothing said in the film that suggested Stark wanted it given to Peter when it was needed - only handed it over when the situation suited him. Still being shifty.:)

Did you mean Peter's holiday or Fury? Because Fury is not on holiday. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

El Duda wrote: »
    Peter Parker:

Can't you call any of the other Avengers? Dr Strange? Captain marvel?

Nick Fury:

Oh right. Good point. Fair enough.

** Roll Credits **

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 23%

"Worst MCU film by far. It ended after 45 minutes"

Not as bad as Endgame. That ended after 20 minutes once Thor beheaded Thanos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Could someone please tell me how much Spiderman / Peter Parker appears in the following films?

Avengers: Endgame
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Captain America: Civil War

Roughly how much of each of these films is he in? Or is it just brief scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

DareGod wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me how much Spiderman / Peter Parker appears in the following films?

Avengers: Endgame
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Captain America: Civil War

Roughly how much of each of these films is he in? Or is it just brief scenes?

Endgame - Less than 10 minutes

Infinity War - Quite a lot, prob 20-25 mins of screentime

Civil War - In or around 10 minutes in total

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-far-home-cobie-smulders-end-credit-reveal-1228161

Interestingly, Cobie Smulders was unaware of the Skrull reveal: she only found out after the fact, as Marvel simply used some already shot footage for the post-credits scene & didn't need Smulders. Her muted performance she simply put down as being a post Blip malaise, with no idea when the decision was made...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

pixelburp wrote: »
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-far-home-cobie-smulders-end-credit-reveal-1228161

Interestingly, Cobie Smulders was unaware of the Skrull reveal: she only found out after the fact, as Marvel simply used some already shot footage for the post-credits scene & didn't need Smulders. Her muted performance she simply put down as being a post Blip malaise, with no idea when the decision was made...

Marvel are very crafty when it comes to stuff like this. Apparently they told Tom Holland that they were filming a wedding when they filmed Tony Stark's funeral. I'm not sure how you go about doing things like that, but it's all top secret stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Marvel are very crafty when it comes to stuff like this. Apparently they told Tom Holland that they were filming a wedding when they filmed Tony Stark's funeral. I'm not sure how you go about doing things like that, but it's all top secret stuff.

They told everyone I believe, not just Holland, to stop the spread of info I suppose

And i do remember rumours before Endgame of a wedding that was assumed to be Tony and Pepper

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I just find it interesting as a counterpoint to the notion that you could totally tell Hill & Fury weren't right; clearly the actor herself didn't read anything into it beyond the context of the movie's setting. To Smulders, it made perfect sense Hill had some of the energy knocked out of her a little (though honestly, I never found Hill that remarkable in terms of outward character or charisma that I noticed a 'difference').

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This just became Sony's biggest movie ever at the box office passing Skyfall.

I didn't realise Disney weren't getting any of the Box office from this I thought it would be a 50/50 split.

A billion dollars in box office, and they can't come to an agreement. The world of Hollywood and the corporate stratosphere truly is a farcical beast really.

Wonder what impact this will have on the MCU as a project; will that mean subsequent Spider-Man films won't be so wedded to the broader world?

• Advertisement

Far from home also getting a re release with 4 added minutes.

Advertisement