Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: Far From Home [** SPOILERS FROM POST 240 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

HOLY SH*T THEY GOT JK SIMMONS BACK!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I get the feeling not all is what it seems in that mid credits scene. Another illusion or perhaps Doctor Strange will just clean that one right up.
    And while it's awesome to see the JK Simmons back in the tash, I rather suspect it's only meant as an easter egg rather than any future longer role for the actor or the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

flazio wrote: »
    I get the feeling not all is what it seems in that mid credits scene. Another illusion or perhaps Doctor Strange will just clean that one right up.
    And while it's awesome to see the JK Simmons back in the tash, I rather suspect it's only meant as an easter egg rather than any future longer role for the actor or the character.

Jon Watts has hinted that he might be back, but similar to how Jameson appeared in the PS4 Spider-Man game. Kind of like Alex Jones..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Or they could let him live his life the way he wants?
    for the length that it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

As a huge fan of Mysterio, I have always wanted to see him on the big screen. I thought they brought in and adapted him into the MCU perfectly. I just wish there was more! I really am pulling for a Sinister 6 movie maybe after this trilogy wraps.

I think I heard that the director was wanting Kraven the Hunter to be the next villain. With how the end credits leave off, I could see that being interesting and setting up to a larger villain team up.

Also with the drone tech in this movie, I am curious to see if they will ever bring in the Spider Slayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

As a huge fan of Mysterio, I have always wanted to see him on the big screen. I thought they brought in and adapted him into the MCU perfectly. I just wish there was more! I really am pulling for a Sinister 6 movie maybe after this trilogy wraps.

I think I heard that the director was wanting Kraven the Hunter to be the next villain. With how the end credits leave off, I could see that being interesting and setting up to a larger villain team up.

Also with the drone tech in this movie, I am curious to see if they will ever bring in the Spider Slayers.

Not overly familiar with Kraven but would he not work best not knowing Spidey's real identity? Doesn't the reveal make it a bit easier?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Not overly familiar with Kraven but would he not work best not knowing Spidey's real identity? Doesn't the reveal make it a bit easier?

Yeah true. I imagine he could just head over to the Parker resident and bang Peter’s a squished spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

for the length that it will be?

Yes. It's not up to a film company to decide for an adult about what way he wants to live.

There are overweight people in the world, such is life. You'd swear he was the only one the way youre going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

El Duda wrote: »
    I just think its hilarious how everyone accepts a talking Racoon but gets so hung up on this sort of thing.

I don't think there's any real appetite for a 2 hour melodrama exploring the repercussions of the 'blip' in graphic detail.

The post snap situation has the potential to be a decent drama on Netflix (or Disney+ now). But comparisons to The Leftovers are inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Knowing it is Peter would be an incredibly easy way to make a Kraven movie all of 10 minutes long. Found you, and you're dead.

That said, if we have Peter trying to spin that he is only FRIENDS with Spider-Man that might change things. You never saw who Spider-Man was in the drone footage, only that Mysterio is claiming it to be Peter. His class was there for their trip, who is to say that he was not just picked out of the blue and blamed because he happened to be there?

It could be that Peter is trying to keep his identity a secret/working for the Bugle to provide photos or info on Spider-Man to show that they are not the same, while being hunted by Kraven who is always one step ahead of Peter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Here's my review on it , would love if you could sub aswell guys , past 100 yesterday and really want to keep on going :) long time boards user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

El Duda wrote: »
    I just think its hilarious how everyone accepts a talking Racoon but gets so hung up on this sort of thing.
    make-up_stage_6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Loughc wrote: »
    Yeah true. I imagine he could just head over to the Parker resident and bang Peter’s a squished spider.

well since everyone knows its peter and he killed the beloved mysterio the government or whoever could bring in Kraven to hunt peter down and bring him to justice

• Registered Users Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sky88 wrote: »
    well since everyone knows its peter and he killed the beloved mysterio the government or whoever could bring in Kraven to hunt peter down and bring him to justice

would be interesting to see what part Shield or whomever would play in that.

There are people (Happy, Skrull Fury, Skrull Hill and Fury) who know exactly what happened and that Peter was not to blame. It isn't just Peter vs the planet.

Obviously public opinion will be against him, but the Avengers (considered heroes again after the Blip) will be on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Im amazed those glasses Peter has wouldnt have recorded the whole thing. Would seem like something Tony would have done when making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I liked it mostly for Holland again knocking it out of the park. I did get a bit bleary eyed in that scene on the airplane.

Mysterio was so so. Gyllenhaal was great, but Beck
    getting beat ultimately by spidey sense
    was tame, but I guess that's more a symptom of stakes inevitably being lowered after Thanos.

I didn't stay for the post credits but read about them. Having knowledge of it, I must say well done to
    Jackson and Smolders; they both put in nicely subtle performances that made it clear something wasn't right, especially the I got you scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

but Beck
    getting beat ultimately by spidey sense
    was tame

*cough*
    Peter Tingle
    *cough* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fairly good flick. I'd say sits comfortably in the middle ground of least good to best Marvel films.

Plot is pretty silly and doesn't hold up to too much scrutiny (even by comic book standards), but the actors do a great job and the blend of action, humor, sentimentality and drama is pretty much bang-on so it definitely gets a pass.

Impossible not to like Tom Holland as Spider-man, he's got great charisma. Jake Gyllenhal was solid as Mysterio, though I do feel he could've been developed slightly more in-depth.

Amazing mid-credits scene as well, definitely worth waiting for.

Overall a good film, very easy way to pass 2 hours. I'd say I preferred it to Homecoming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I really enjoyed this! It didn't bother me at all how they handled life after "the blip". We were seeing it from the perspective of high school students after all, so their issues would naturally be pretty shallow (repeating the start of the school year etc) compared to what most adults will be dealing with.

It was light-hearted and funny. That's all I want in a Spiderman movie and it delivered just that :) It's difficult not to like Tom Holland in that role!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be the first to give the MCU a hard time over The Blip - it was a terrible writing decision that left too many holes at the expense for some blunt emotional manipulation - but Far From Home handled it as well as could be expected from what was essentially a knockabout teen comedy with occasional superheroics.

Wouldn't surprise me if other MCU films go deeper into more mature themes of the event, if they choose to, the tonal successor to Captain America could easily explore a post Blip world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Excellent film. How good the film would be depended on how good Mysterio would be and he was the best thing about the film. Decent plot and its impossible not to like Tom Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Seen this twice now. It really is a delightful movie. There's no single scene in it that surpasses the Keaton/Car journey scene from Homecoming, but the rest of it is on par.

Zendayer and Tom Holland are fantastic bits of casting. Mysterio is up there with the very best of the MCU villains, they really thought about how they were going to use him and the ideas they came up with are perfect.
    The drones!
    Spoilers:
    The Skrull twist at the end is also a masterstroke. Watching it back, it feels like L Jackson read most of his lines in the style of Ben Mendelsohn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No need for spoiler text, it's there in the title :D

I didn't stick around for the Final Scene - in fact I stopped many movies back, the gimmick played out for me - but on reading of its contents, I'm glad I skipped it, 'cos it struck me as deeply cheap and lazy from a writing point of view.

It's a personal preference, but I deeply hate those imposter / dream / coma "twists", where the scripts cynical attempts to con the audience results in the internal logic breaking down: for dreams or comas, it's scenes not from the POV of the dreamer; for the imposter trope, it's Fury and Hill behaving normally for the whole film, even when unobserved by others. Sure, blah blah deep cover, but that feels more excuse than reason, and these are not that complex a series of films.

Maybe I missed some obvious visual cues within the film, but it struck as exactly the kind of cheap... well, comicbook twist I thought went out with Spandex :)

pixelburp wrote:
    Maybe I missed some obvious visual cues within the film, but it struck as exactly the kind of cheap... well, comicbook twist I thought went out with Spandex

There were lots of visual and non visual cues imo

Baggly wrote: »
    There were lots of visual and non visual cues imo

Such as? I want to know, 'cos I didn't see them. I get someone said they were "subtly off", but that could just as easily been crap writing (they did send the cast to Europe on vacation, this didn't strike me as MCU's most inventive film), and like I said this film isn't so nuanced that the odd suspicious behaviour couldn't have been included...

pixelburp wrote:
    Such as? I want to know, 'cos I didn't see them. I get someone said they were "subtly off", but that could just as easily been crap writing (they did send the cast to Europe on vacation, this didn't strike me as MCU's most inventive film), and like I said this film isn't so nuanced that the odd suspicious behaviour couldn't have been included...

The fact fury shot Ned. The use of invoke when captain marvel was mentioned.

The fact fury phoned Peter in the first place, instead of going to him with the mission.

Furys reaction to mysterio in Mexico.

Hill was a lot quieter and more follow the leader in this as well. In Winter Soldier for example she follows orders, but is extremely self capable and independent in doing so. Here she follows Furys lead exactly and isn't as competent in doing so, imo.

A lot of these things were very non nick fury/Maria hilly, but in a subtle way.

Its how I called fury not being fury from the trailers.

Ok, fair enough, thanks for listing them but honestly I don't agree; the phoning scenes read more like a thin pretext for some "ghosting" gags, while Ned being darted felt in keeping with Fury to me, especially one at the end of his tether and fed up with being ignored.

I think the writing was pretty poor in this one generally, the dialogue and characters not as snappy and sparky as before; I see the twist more lazy and out of nowhere, than subtly nodded to. This series does have a habit of just making narrative sh*t up when it wants to.

How many times in other movies have you seen fury call someone?

But yeah look agree to disagree. It's not Shakespeare but I wasn't unhappy with the nods to what was going on.

• Advertisement

Presumably the answer is supposed to be "none", but like I said, I don't agree. We're talking about a series that just shoehorns in material at the end, even if it doesn't make sense in the crossover / next film (see the EndGame overlap at the end of Captain Marvel that suddenly never could have happened in the actual Avengers sequel).

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't buy it. If the writers come out and confirm it, fair enough. But overall, the writing was 'off', so maybe everyone's a Skrull :)

Advertisement