Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: Far From Home [** SPOILERS FROM POST 240 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It took about 7 years for us to see some of the aftermath of the attack on New York (in Homecoming as it happens).

Other movies referenced it and id say that will happen as well.

I think people looking for details on it in the first film after Endgame are impatient and/or unnrealistic. It just wouldnt suit the tone of the film, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed it, not as good as homecoming (and definitely a long way behind spiderverse) but still a lot of fun, I thought Zendaya and Tom Holland had great chemistry.
    It was all fairly light and fun even in the way it covered the snap, I also liked gyleenhaal. The humour worked well for me as well, not quite Ragnarok levels but still good.
    mysterio has always been a villain so no shock in that twist, I did think the trippy scenes were a tad silly and they were done much better in doctor strange. I am definitely ready for a proper villain for this version of spiderman to face off against, he has basically battled two men with tech

The 2 post credit scenes cover a lot of ground!

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it yesterday, and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mokuba wrote: »
    So because the writers and director aren't proficient enough to successfully craft a story where the aftermath of the blip is properly explored, and instead they throw in some stupid line about moving on, then the audience should too?

I think it's completely fair to expect them to properly deal with such a massive event, literally the biggest event in the MCU by their own admission.

That is spoon feeding nonsense. You can formulate an opinion for yourself too you know. You don't have to eat up everything that Marvel throw at you and pretend it's caviar when it's a lump of sh*te.

Nice of you to throw in a quote from an Austin Powers movie, about ignoring the technicalities of time travel in a slapstick comedy. I think that these movies hold themselves to a higher standard of film making. Or at least they pretend to. Cannot believe how people vigorously defend this stuff as if it's a film they made themselves.

Speaking of exposition, the scene where one of the characters jumped on a bar and explained the plot out loud for 5 minutes was one of the worst scenes in any Superhero movie, ever. Utterly embarrassing that they couldn't find a better way to tell the audience the plot than to literally shout it at them among a load of jarring flashbacks.

There's a massive difference between not being proficient enough to craft a certain story and not wanting to tell a certain story. Marvel just aren't interested.

Iron Man 3 was the first film after Avengers but we didn't see the wider aftermath of that film. We saw how it affected Tony and we see in FFH how Peter is coping with the events of Endgame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

FunLover18 wrote: »
    There's a massive difference between not being proficient enough to craft a certain story and not wanting to tell a certain story. Marvel just aren't interested.

Iron Man 3 was the first film after Avengers but we didn't see the wider aftermath of that film. We saw how it affected Tony and we see in FFH how Peter is coping with the events of Endgame.

And Iron Man 3 was equally terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

El Duda wrote: »
    I just think its hilarious how everyone accepts a talking Racoon but gets so hung up on this sort of thing.

I don't think there's any real appetite for a 2 hour melodrama exploring the repercussions of the 'blip' in graphic detail.

Even if there was,marvel wouldn’t make it because they couldn’t do it better than the Leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I was perfectly happy with how they handled the aftermath of Endgame, this is a spiderman movie so I want to see spiderman, I don't want to see a bunch of bulldozers tidying up streets, everyone going to counselling or people sitting around wondering how they're going to regulate air traffic from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mid credits.
    Literally Fist pumped when JK Simmons came back as Jameson. Recasting him would be next to impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

I was perfectly happy with how they handled the aftermath of Endgame, this is a spiderman movie so I want to see spiderman, I don't want to see a bunch of bulldozers tidying up streets, everyone going to counselling or people sitting around wondering how they're going to regulate air traffic from now on

Exactly.

Also the fact that the blip is the sort of thing that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. If you really think about it, it makes no sense. People just 'blipped' right back to the location that were when they snapped? Bodies would've been falling out of the sky! Etc...

Theres a reason they addressed it the way they did at the start of this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

What I found unrealistic is that never in anyone's lifetime would you get to be the only people on Charles bridge in Prague. It does be thronged with tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

What I found unrealistic is that never in anyone's lifetime would you get to be the only people on Charles bridge in Prague. It does be thronged with tourists.

That is exactly what i thought when theu were on it! Prague came out looking great in the film though!

I really enjoyed it, laughed quite a bit, Gyllenhaal was fantastic I thought, action sequences were fantastic, made me hopeful for a future without cap and ironman

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

flazio wrote: »
    Mid credits.
    Literally Fist pumped when JK Simmons came back as Jameson. Recasting him would be next to impossible.

That got the loudest cheer in our screen on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

El Duda wrote: »
    Exactly.

Also the fact that the blip is the sort of thing that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. If you really think about it, it makes no sense. People just 'blipped' right back to the location that were when they snapped? Bodies would've been falling out of the sky! Etc...

Theres a reason they addressed it the way they did at the start of this film.
    Feige said banner snapped them back to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Went to see this tonight and really enjoyed it, thought Jake Gyllenhaal was brilliant.

Have to say though one of my favourite moments was the mid credits scene. My friend and I literally cheered in our seats when we saw it and we had such big grins after it. It was the last thing I expected.

The end credits scene did make us go 'what the fu(k' though, be very interesting to see what's going to come from that.

Would I go see it again like I did Infinity War and Endgame? Probably not. But it was still a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Feige said banner snapped them back to safety.

"During a recent AMA, Reddit user dwallace3099 asked Feige if the snap had brought those who'd been dusted in a risky situation -- for example thousands of feet above the ground in an airplane -- to safety. Feige replied, "We refer to the version of Hulk in Endgame as Smart Hulk. So, yes.""

Yea, when you have to start filling in plot holes on an AMA thread on reddit somethings not right. I just don't know how the writers thought bliping out half of the universes population for 5 full years and bringing them back would not fundamentally change the nature of the fictional share universe they have been building for 10+ years. They could have easily just retconned the snap in EndGame with time travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think im definitely suffering from a bit of superhero fatigue, I thought it was grand, but nothing to get overly worked up about. The elementals are a type of enemy that I hate seeing in films, and I didn't enjoy those sequences.
    Gyllenhall stole the show completely, and to be fair to the film, they really did justice to the Mysterio character. Also,
    I had a nagging feeling thoughout the film that fury seemed unnecessarily dense / awkward, so it was great to see that resolved in the after credits

I think im definitely suffering from a bit of superhero fatigue, I thought it was grand, but nothing to get overly worked up about. The elementals are a type of enemy that I hate seeing in films, and I didn't enjoy those sequences.
    Gyllenhall stole the show completely, and to be fair to the film, they really did justice to the Mysterio character. Also,
    I had a nagging feeling thoughout the film that fury seemed unnecessarily dense / awkward, so it was great to see that resolved in the after credits
    When he said 'do not invoke her name' in response to 'what about Captain Marvel' i knew something was up. Invoke isnt a Nick Fury word. Didnt cop it was the skrulls until the end credits though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know where you are coming from but
    the whole point about the elementals were it wasnt real, I liked it, even if it was obvious.
    I generally prefer the more small scale battles myself rather than the insane CGI fests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

"During a recent AMA, Reddit user dwallace3099 asked Feige if the snap had brought those who'd been dusted in a risky situation -- for example thousands of feet above the ground in an airplane -- to safety. Feige replied, "We refer to the version of Hulk in Endgame as Smart Hulk. So, yes.""

Yea, when you have to start filling in plot holes on an AMA thread on reddit somethings not right. I just don't know how the writers thought bliping out half of the universes population for 5 full years and bringing them back would not fundamentally change the nature of the fictional share universe they have been building for 10+ years. They could have easily just retconned the snap in EndGame with time travel.

Retconning the snap would have been a cop out IMO. I think people are slightly overreacting to how the blip was or wasn't handled in this film. It is after all one film, I fully expect we will see ramifications of the blip throughout future films. If the first 20 or so films demonstrate anything it's that Marvel know how to lay groundwork and plan ahead.

You know what, I kinda wish that they did a fake out (alá Trevor) here.
    I think that they did Mysterio too well. Casting Gyllenhaal and having him have such chemistry with Parker obviously feeds into the Mysterio character but it did cry out (IMHO) for a Mandarin-esque twist. Have him appear to be the villain but ultimately a hero. Have it that he knew that real elementals were coming but no one would believe him and that he needed to get EDITH to battle them in a real scenario in London, with Spidey fighting against him until he realised the reality of the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen this today and enjoyed it. I thought there were some parts that did not work well do like the late Whitney Hueston over the Marvel banner and the way it then went to the news at the beginning. Thought that could have been done better. Otherwise I thought it was very funny but also thought it was aimed more at a teenager audience. I think Peter Parker's character in this actually grew a good bit and at the end he is no longer a by but a man.
    Thought Vienna and Prague both looked great in it too.
    While I don't think it is the best ever Spiderman film I have to say it was better than ''Homecoming'' to me anyway.
    I would give it 6 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed this. I didn't pay too much notice to the logistics of The Snap. When they change the internal logic of a movie or show in order to get out of situations I have a problem with that (Instant Crow-munication/transportation of characters in the latter seasons of Game of Thrones for example). but, for something like a superhero movie, I let a lot slide and just have fun.

So yeah, I enjoyed this. Thought Jake Gyll... Gill.... Gylen..... Jake was very good. The look on his face when he said "I'm Mysterio" was very funny.(I hope it was meant to be).

OK. We can spoiler now....

[spoilerI thought it was quite clever. I couldn't understand the change in character of Nick Fury. Thought his tone was off. Don't know if it was intentional (given the fact it wasn't Fury) or unintentional. I'm gonna say intentional. [/spoiler]

I hind Tom Holland very enjoyable as PP and actually really enjoy all the cast: From Flash to those two kids who do the videos (The girl's nervous delivery always makes me laugh).

The only thing that's beginning to annoy me is the way Marvel are filming and inserting shots into the trailer that are purely there to wrong-foot people. I get it: These days it is almost impossible to stop spoilers and these are thrown in to divert people's attention but now you never know what scene is going to be in a movie.

That scene in the trailer for Spiderman 1 with Spiderman and Ironman swinging/flying side-by-side: Was shot purely for the trailer (Same with Rogue One where the character walks defiantly towards a hovering TIE Fighter).

Mid Credit sequence? IMHO the best since "Let me talk to you about The Avengers Initiative" in Ironman 1. I was never a comic-reader when I was a kid: 70's Ireland couldn't afford US comics :) but I gathered enough info over the years.
    Enough to know what JK Simmons was PERFECT as JJJ. Was thinking "OK, now it's another reboot, who can they get to replace JK Simmons?.... Answer: Nobody!" Brilliant.

I'm assuming they'll get over the whole secret identity thing by using a life double or whatever they call them. So that will get most people off PP's back (But some will have lingering doubts). And it leaved Simmons open to go full on JJJ/Infowars-srazy with all the fake news. Should be fun.

(Still prefer Into the Spiderverse though :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Hi

I have a question for fans of the avengers series. So I've seen all the previous films except endgame which I missed due to a long illness and am waiting for it to be released on dvd. Can I still watch the spider man film or would it be riddled with spoilers about what happens in endgame. About all I know is that iron man dies in endgame but I've avoided any other real spoilers. Would love to go to the cinema this week but there's nothing else on. Would like opinions on weather spider man will ruin endgame for me. Thanks for any opinions.

Endgame was rereleased and may still be on in your cinema if you did want to see it.

Beyond the IM death, id say you will be fine if you watch FFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Hi

I have a question for fans of the avengers series. So I've seen all the previous films except endgame which I missed due to a long illness and am waiting for it to be released on dvd. Can I still watch the spider man film or would it be riddled with spoilers about what happens in endgame. About all I know is that iron man dies in endgame but I've avoided any other real spoilers. Would love to go to the cinema this week but there's nothing else on. Would like opinions on weather spider man will ruin endgame for me. Thanks for any opinions.

Apart from the beginning of the movie you should be grand but I think you would enjoy ''Spider-Man: Far From Home' much better if you had seen Endgame so try and see Endgame first even if you have to find it online somewhere. Sure if you have a good setup at home it would be nearly as good as a cinema and then you could go see ''Spider-Man: Far From Home'' and enjoy it a lot more.

Baggly wrote: »
    Endgame was rereleased and may still be on in your cinema if you did want to see it.

Beyond the IM death, id say you will be fine if you watch FFH.

Ummm
    Cap and Black Widow are name checked too no?

Ummm
    Cap and Black Widow are name checked too no?

Yeah but its hardly central to FFH like IMs death was. Poster would be fine not knowing that and pick it up from context. Is it going to ruin Endgame for him? It wouldnt for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm pretty sure Feige said he wanted Mendelsohn Jackson to be more like Talos than to fully try to be SLJ's his own Fury so those odd "out of character" moments are by design since they wanted Fury to be slightly "wrong"

Edit - I got it worded all wrong :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Warning:

Spoilers from this post onward. No spoiler tags will be used. If you haven't seen the film yet, read no further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Advertisement