Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: Far From Home [** SPOILERS FROM POST 240 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really liked
    how they showed the blip in alternative real life settings such as the Marching band scene
    so there is no multi verse and it was all a lie made up by Mystero ??
    guess were not getting Oscorp or the Osborns in this version of Spider man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm really glad how the
    multiverse
    and
    blip
    was handled.
    Multiverse would have been so messy and there's no need for them to go down the blip rabbit hole, better to gloss over it and carry on.
    Multiverse was essentially explained by the Ancient One in Endgame. They can still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Enjoyed it! The
    mid credits scene sets up all sorts of possibilities for future Spider-Man movies - sinister six, spiderverse ,Miles Morales etc

I thought the level of humour was fine in it too. Nice way to close out the MCU's Phase 3 set of movies too.

A solid 4 out 5!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭ThePott

Brief thoughts; Enjoyed it overall, think it came in a bit under Homecoming for me. Thought Mysterio was amazing especially that scene. I did think the film took some time to get going though. Credits scenes were amazing. I'll probably see it again with friends and might do a proper review then.

Did a little video on the credits scenes here if anyone wants to check it out too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone else worried about Jacob Batalon (actor who plays Ned Leeds) health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nice easter egg video, riddled with spoilers of course.

Will spoil the thumbnail just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

anyone else worried about Jacob Batalon (actor who plays Ned Leeds) health

In what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,112 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Baggly wrote: »
    In what sense?
    He is errr "husky"?

Quick question for anyone who has seen it....no spoilers.
    Are there post credit scenes if so how many?
    Basically how long after the film is done do I need to watch, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

In what sense?

I would imagine the fact he is obese, i was looking at press interviews andd i had no idea who he was for awhile with extra weight amd ball head, when i realised who it was i genuinely felt concerned for this guy i dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

gmisk wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone who has seen it....no spoilers.
    Are there post credit scenes if so how many?
    Basically how long after the film is done do I need to watch, thanks

make sure to stay till the end ;)

1 mid credit scene
    1 post credit scene

Oh right. Nope not worried. Not really my concern. Im sure if his health is in jeopardy as a result, he can spend some spiderbucks to lose some weight, should he want to.

5star02707 wrote: »
    make sure to stay till the end ;)

1 mid credit scene
    1 post credit scene
    Will do thanks :)

Like the very very end. Worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Oh right. Nope not worried. Not really my concern. Im sure if his health is in jeopardy as a result, he can spend some spiderbucks to lose some weight, should he want to.

give him the extension of his character get him on a regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm really glad how the
    multiverse
    and
    blip
    was handled.
    Multiverse would have been so messy and there's no need for them to go down the blip rabbit hole, better to gloss over it and carry on.

At what point can we unspoiler this thread?

I didn't like that they
    glossed over the blip. Took any dramatic impact from these movies for me. The effects of half the population disappearing for 5 years would be beyond catastrophic, but thats just ignored here. They just made light of it by calling it "the blip" rather than "The Decimation", "10/14", "The Snap", "The Dissapearing", etc....

Example 1: How is air traffic not now more heavily regulated. If 1,250 planes fell from the sky 5 years ago (there are 5,000 planes in the sky at any time. On average, a quarter of these lost both their pilot and their co-pilot), there would be so many checks put in place on future commercial flights, it wouldn’t be viable to fly 30+ school children on a holiday to Europe, yet alone for their parents to be agreeable to send their kids via airtravel.

Example 2: how was there not more completely ruined buildings in Manhattan from this event, even 5 years later. The rebuild would take decades, if you dont take into account starvation, famine, rioting, looting, lawlessness, government collapse, etc etc.

I know these movies are meant to be lighthearted, I get that, but then don't wipe out half the population of the universe in a movie. Or if you do, undo it with a time travel handwavey resolution. I'm sure I'll get stick for this opinion, I think I might just be getting too old for the MCU :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I didn't like that they
    glossed over the blip. Took any dramatic impact from these movies for me. The effects of half the population disappearing for 5 years would be beyond catastrophic, but thats just ignored here. They just made light of it by calling it "the blip" rather than "The Decimation", "10/14", "The Snap", "The Dissapearing", etc....

Example 1: How is air traffic not now more heavily regulated. If 1,250 planes fell from the sky 5 years ago (there are 5,000 planes in the sky at any time. On average, a quarter of these lost both their pilot and their co-pilot), there would be so many checks put in place on future commercial flights, it wouldn’t be viable to fly 30+ school children on a holiday to Europe, yet alone for their parents to be agreeable to send their kids via airtravel.

Example 2: how was there not more completely ruined buildings in Manhattan from this event, even 5 years later. The rebuild would take decades, if you dont take into account starvation, famine, rioting, looting, lawlessness, government collapse, etc etc.

I know these movies are meant to be lighthearted, I get that, but then don't wipe out half the population of the universe in a movie. Or if you do, undo it with a time travel handwavey resolution. I'm sure I'll get stick for this opinion, I think I might just be getting too old for the MCU :(

Example 1: what kind of checks?? "I'm sorry, sir, do you have plans to fade into dust during this flight?" How could air traffic possibly count for it?

Example 2: Did you see Homecoming? There's no way they could have gone from John Hughes teen comedy to The Leftovers, it would completely jar.

They were never going to address the snap the way you wanted, not in this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I didn't like that they

No, you're not. These Spider-Man films are just badly written.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Example 1: what kind of checks?? "I'm sorry, sir, do you have plans to fade into dust during this flight?" How could air traffic possibly count for it?

Example 2: Did you see Homecoming? There's no way they could have gone from John Hughes teen comedy to The Leftovers, it would completely jar.

They were never going to address the snap the way you wanted, not in this movie.

Example 1:

Just off the top of my head:

Increased precautions in all airplanes that should another snap level event occur there would be technical safety implementations to minimise causalities on the ground and in the plane.

Highly essential only air travel. Where possibly use technical conferencing tools to work globally, minimise vacation travel, where possibe use ferry travel

etc. etc.

Example 2:
    Yes,I've seen it. Both these movies exist in a shared universe. While the movies may thematically be differing, they can not ignore major events from other movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Example 1:

Just off the top of my head:

Increased precautions in all airplanes that should another snap level event occur there would be technical safety implementations to minimise causalities on the ground and in the plane.

Highly essential only air travel. Where possibly use technical conferencing tools to work globally, minimise vacation travel, where possibe use ferry travel

etc. etc.

Example 2:
    Yes,I've seen it. Both these movies exist in a shared universe. While the movies may thematically be differing, they can not ignore major events from other movies.

Apologies for the tone of my original response, it was unnecessarily snarky.

I don't think it's possible to address the snap in the way you would have like in a two hour movie. The vast majority of the audience just don't care about all that minute detail. It would have dragged the narrative down trying to shoehorn in references to all the changes and it would have added unnucessary cost to the production budget to show the level of destruction you believe the snap would have caused. They do reference the massive homeless crisis caused but in reality you'd need a TV show to address the fallout, maybe we'll get that on Disney+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A TV show which addresses issues about sudden disappearance is The Leftovers (only 2% of the population) but that's dark and depressing and obviously wouldn't fit the theme of a super hero franchise

They took his banana off him at the airport. Maybe that was a snap related security policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

give him the extension of his character get him on a regime.

Or they could let him live his life the way he wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really enjoyed this.

I would have liked the Snapback to have been a bit more impactful on what we see - it is a year or so later but things seemed a bit too normal.

I don't want it to be in the detail some others seem to be looking for, as I think it would be horribly boring, but the impact is minimal on every level really.

Not a big fan of how it ended - would have liked it to be more subtle than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This film is from a teenagers perspective and to generalise they'd be much more self-centered about what is impacting them, like we see from them complaining about having to repeat their year or that people who they remember as young kids are now in their class. If they are going to try to deal with the aftermath in more detail, a TV show that was already mentioned or a movie like Black Panther 2 would be far better, for example having food shortages in Africa being a driver for the bad guy.

On the damage, was there really that much damage to NYC during IW or Endgame? As far as I remember it was far more limited than from the attack during the Avengers and from memory where we see Spiderman is away from that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Probably the 2nd worst Spiderman movie ever made.

Lazy, bland, poorly paced and written. Filled with awful exposition, really a going-through-the-motions effort. The rare emotional beats are so bad when compared to other Spiderman movies.

The two most significant events came after the movie ended. That is both comical and shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I didn't like that they

Its posts like this that really annoy me.

They literally say at the beginning...

"I think it's time to put this behind us and MOVE ON TO THE NEXT PHASE OF OUR LIVES"

They found a way to talk directly to the small section of fans that take this stuff way too seriously. They basically ridiculed you at the start and you're STILL banging on about the technicalities of the blip.

"I suggest you forget about that sort of thing and sit back and enjoy yourself" - Basil Exposition

I thought the film was wonderful myself. A really special way to move on from Endgame

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is cold

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disney-refuses-permission-boys-spiderman-17444020

Spider-Man superfan Ollie Jones tragically lost his lengthy two-year battle with a rare genetic disorder last year, and his family gave him a superhero-themed funeral.

But when his grieving dad Lloyd Jones tried to get permission for an etching of his son's favourite superhero, Spider-Man, on his gravestone, he was told by the council to contact the character's owners - children's entertainment giant Disney.

The Walt Disney Company - which owns the Marvel franchise - refused to give the go-ahead because they wanted to preserve “innocence” and “magic” around their characters.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

El Duda wrote: »
    Its posts like this that really annoy me.

They literally say at the beginning...

"I think it's time to put this behind us and MOVE ON TO THE NEXT PHASE OF OUR LIVES"

They found a way to talk directly to the small section of fans that take this stuff way too seriously. They basically ridiculed you at the start and you're STILL banging on about the technicalities of the blip.

"I suggest you forget about that sort of thing and sit back and enjoy yourself" - Basil Exposition

I thought the film was wonderful myself. A really special way to move on from Endgame

So because the writers and director aren't proficient enough to successfully craft a story where the aftermath of the blip is properly explored, and instead they throw in some stupid line about moving on, then the audience should too?

I think it's completely fair to expect them to properly deal with such a massive event, literally the biggest event in the MCU by their own admission.

That is spoon feeding nonsense. You can formulate an opinion for yourself too you know. You don't have to eat up everything that Marvel throw at you and pretend it's caviar when it's a lump of sh*te.

Nice of you to throw in a quote from an Austin Powers movie, about ignoring the technicalities of time travel in a slapstick comedy. I think that these movies hold themselves to a higher standard of film making. Or at least they pretend to. Cannot believe how people vigorously defend this stuff as if it's a film they made themselves.

Speaking of exposition, the scene where one of the characters jumped on a bar and explained the plot out loud for 5 minutes was one of the worst scenes in any Superhero movie, ever. Utterly embarrassing that they couldn't find a better way to tell the audience the plot than to literally shout it at them among a load of jarring flashbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I just think its hilarious how everyone accepts a talking Racoon but gets so hung up on this sort of thing.

I don't think there's any real appetite for a 2 hour melodrama exploring the repercussions of the 'blip' in graphic detail.

Advertisement