Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Well Sir Knight.
    And Mrs Knight.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

greysides wrote: »
    Well Sir Knight.
    And Mrs Knight.

I was going to post Knight Rider but you have that covered there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Charolais bull

How would you calculate the calving difficulty?
    Three births-
    1: emergency section
    2. Elected section (fear of emergency one)
    3. Elected section.

I have worked in theatre for all of these you def do not want number one and you definitely do not want a catatory one emergency section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

naughto wrote: »
    I have worked in theatre for all of these you def do not want number one and you definitely do not want a catatory one emergency section

Plus one emergency section on number 2 here and it is a terrifying experience. Funny thing was we had just finished when another woman was wheeled into the next theatre with an abruption. The surgeon ungowned and regowned in seconds made a great difference to the second couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

3 sections here first was an emergency as both me and baby deteriorated very quickly. Other 2 were a walk in the park

• Advertisement

Last lad was an elective and it is a lot less stressful.
    The second child was an ounce shy of 11lb so why it was an emergency section I dont know.

whelan2 wrote: »
    3 sections here first was an emergency as both me and baby deteriorated very quickly. Other 2 were a walk in the park

Ya that would be a cat 1 emergency only did two thankfully as I am gone out of that section now.
    You will see how quick people move when a cat one is called both baby and mother in bother.
    Straight in to theatre no gowing up or scrubbing infection control will be sorted with after baby and mother are safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The OH was in labour for 32hrs with the First Lady- whole ward was worried. Baby was star gazing as they call it and big.
    Mod wife kept asking my OHs shoe size. Young dr was texting while checking her and chewing gum. I was like an anti Christ.
    Then at the end the top dr came in- mid wide said its time to prick head to test blood for oxygen- dr said no point, just whip it out. Longest half hour of my life.

Other two cool as a breeze. The new baby came into a room of laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Shoe size??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Odelay wrote: »
    Shoe size??

Apparently to do with pelvis size. Above size 5 less likely to have a section

• Advertisement

One of those days when you put your family in the hands of strangers always found that the hardest part.
    Farmers know too much which doesn't make it easy either.
    Dont think labour wards make the husband/partner very welcome.

I was amazed how quickly a team could come together at 2.30am. I wonder how people got by years ago as most people gave birth at home.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I was amazed how quickly a team could come together at 2.30am. I wonder how people got by years ago as most people gave birth at home.. .

A good few mothers died in child birth

grassroot1 wrote: »
    One of those days when you put your family in the hands of strangers always found that the hardest part.

Oh was sent off with second 2 kids as soon as they were born.first lad needed special care . I was left on my own in recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Reggie. wrote: »
    A good few mothers died in child birth

That happened near me. Only found it out recently. The first wife and baby died at childbirth. I suppose over 80 years ago now.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

That happened near me. Only found it out recently. The first wife and baby died at childbirth. I suppose over 80 years ago now.

It's very rare now thankfully but those poor women who died years ago, probably no pain relief....

Oh was sent off with second 2 kids as soon as they were born.first lad needed special care . I was left on my own in recovery.

Dont get me wrong what women do is incredible especially hard for first time mothers.
    Just remember being really scared (trying not to show OH) and no one to ask what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It's very rare now thankfully but those poor women who died years ago, probably no pain relief....

Death rate is still massive in the likes of SS Africa - one of the reasons human females have so much difficulties giving birth is that the human skull evolved much quicker in size over the last 500k years compared to the female pelvis and birth canal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

grassroot1 wrote: »

One of my boys was born not breathing, remember the midwives doing a time count, and then rushing to phone to call emergency team, just then he burst out crying. I aged about ten years in that minute. I remember thinking we wont get him back because usually you dont get calves back that are born like that! My heart is racing just thinking about it now again!

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    One of my boys was born not breathing, remember the midwives doing a time count, and then rushing to phone to call emergency team, just then he burst out crying. I aged about ten years in that minute. I remember thinking we wont get him back because usually you dont get calves back that are born like that! My heart is racing just thinking about it now again!

It's funny how things take you back to that moment but at the time you have to live through it and deal with it as best you can. I remember coming home after second child and looking at calving camera and a cow had her womb out. Vet sent me back to bed and he dealt with it. He asked for a wine bottle before I left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tyson Furey, the boxer, was only one lb weight when born. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Tyson Furey, the boxer, was only one lb weight when born. :D

A bag of sugar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

A bag of sugar

Even less, only 454 grammes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

tanko wrote: »
    Even less, only 454 grammes.

No he is a bag of sugar now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I done my 3rd week of boxing training this week at grand age of 37. Dark nights and off training when kids are in bed. Played hurling and soccer and by god those boxers are super fit humans. Horrendous workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Cow calved saturday morning out in field.... Only one quarter.... gave calf bottle of colostrum sat afternoon ... calf has gone back .... tried milk from dairy farmer twice daily but calf not bothered... is he fuxxed??? Managed to get it in to him but could take the guts of 30 mins to get it in to him..... hes very weak....Looks like cow is drying up in the one quarter also...... will i bring him to vet or am i waisting my time? Or should i make up something for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Cow calved saturday morning out in field.... Only one quarter.... gave calf bottle of colostrum sat afternoon ... calf has gone back .... tried milk from dairy farmer twice daily but calf not bothered... is he fuxxed??? Managed to get it in to him but could take the guts of 30 mins to get it in to him..... hes very weak....Looks like cow is drying up in the one quarter also...... will i bring him to vet or am i waisting my time? Or should i make up something for him?

Glucose powder for energy defo if mixing up a bottle for it, some people would crack an egg into it too make more substance, bring it inside anyway and make sure it cosy

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Glucose powder for energy defo if mixing up a bottle for it, some people would crack an egg into it too make more substance, bring it inside anyway and make sure it cosy

How much glucose powder per ltr of water?
    Hes in the back of slatted shed (creep area) with cow on straw.... should i take him out nd put a light over him.?

How much glucose powder per ltr of water?
    Hes in the back of slatted shed (creep area) with cow on straw.... should i take him out nd put a light over him.?

If he very weak then creep area be still too cold for my likeing, its just like a new born baby, needs tlc, aw I personally would throw a small palm full in a litre or 2 of milk, id rather kill or cure a weak calf with more food than less, within reason

• Advertisement

He has managed to survive for six days, i definitely wouldn't give up on him anyway. If you put sugar on your fingers will he suck them, you could get him onto a bottle then and get milk from a dairy farmer for him.
    If the cow has no milk i think i'd be forgetting about her feeding him.
    I'd bring him to a vet, they'll tube the right stuff into him to get him going if he's going to make it, bring a few litres of milk with you.
    Keeping him warm under a lamp is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jb1989 wrote: »
    If he very weak then creep area be still too cold for my likeing, its just like a new born baby, needs tlc, aw I personally would throw a small palm full in a litre or 2 of milk, id rather kill or cure a weak calf with more food than less, within reason

He's probably starving at this stage, maybe has a low temperature as well which would kill his appetite,
    Sounds like he didn't get enough beastings either, so has lost all his body fat to keep him warm.
    If it was mine I'd take his temperature and heat him if it's below normal and stomach tube a litre of milk into him every four or five hours, his stomach is probably shrunk at this stage and he won't be able for a big feed.If he didn't get enough beastings it'll be all for nothing.
    It takes a lot of heat to get a calves temperature up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Give an antibiotic too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

He has managed to survive for six days, i definitely wouldn't give up on him anyway. If you put sugar on your fingers will he suck them, you could get him onto a bottle then and get milk from a dairy farmer for him.
    If the cow has no milk i think i'd be forgetting about her feeding him.
    I'd bring him to a vet, they'll tube the right stuff into him to get him going if he's going to make it, bring a few litres of milk with you.
    Keeping him warm under a lamp is a good idea.

With the form he is in i wouldnt expect him to suck my fingers but will try in a while.....deffo gona forget about the cow feeding him.....
    How often would i want to be feeding him?
    Fed him 1ltr around 22:00. Without glucose in the milk

My 1st did as well spent 10 days in it my oh is a midwife so knew far to much for her own good.

wrangler wrote: »
    He's probably starving at this stage, maybe has a low temperature as well which would kill his appetite,
    Sounds like he didn't get enough beastings either, so has lost all his body fat to keep him warm.
    If it was mine I'd take his temperature and heat him if it's below normal and stomach tube a litre of milk into him every four or five hours, his stomach is probably shrunk at this stage and he won't be able for a big feed.If he didn't get enough beastings it'll be all for nothing.
    It takes a lot of heat to get a calves temperature up

This is very much like how he is..... hes definitely lost body fat. Nose is realy cold too....prob got v little beastings except for the ltr of powdered stuff i gave him on saturday...
    He was sucking her over the first two or three days...but a meer mugfull id say is all hes got from her. Her teats wer dirty this eve which leads me to believe that he didnt suck today....

• Advertisement

With the form he is in i wouldnt expect him to suck my fingers but will try in a while.....deffo gona forget about the cow feeding him.....
    How often would i want to be feeding him?
    Fed him 1ltr around 22:00. Without glucose in the milk

Maybe look into a 'suck Injection' to stimulate the sucking reflex, but as said. Go to vet first and get temperature and maybe a drip.
    I've headed off to a vet at this time of night several times , with a weak new born, in the boot, if I didnt think it survive to morning.

This is very much like how he is..... hes definitely lost body fat. Nose is realy cold too....prob got v little beastings except for the ltr of powdered stuff i gave him on saturday...
    He was sucking her over the first two or three days...but a meer mugfull id say is all hes got from her. Her teats wer dirty this eve which leads me to believe that he didnt suck today....

Into a red lamp at once so, and if your vet can accommodate you, then head in now, time to act now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I would put him under a infrared lamp and if you don’t have one put him in a deep bed of straw and cover him with a rug or blanket. Calf rugs are good and it’s handy to have one. Feed him a little often - 1 litre at the correct temperature - c.35 degrees every 3 hours.

Doesn't sound good if he's very cold, get him under a red lamp, feed him a litre of milk every few hours and get him to a vet in the morning, bring a few litres of milk with you.

Doesn't sound good if he's very cold, get him under a red lamp, feed him a litre of milk every few hours and get him to a vet in the morning, bring a few litres of milk with you.

Attached a pic of him

• Advertisement

Found a red lamp but i said id just bring him inside. He seems to have a bit of a scour... watery nd yellow. Guessing thats just from the milk... should i give him bimadine ????
    Not sure of the mixing ratio to water..... anyone know

Found a red lamp but i said id just bring him inside. He seems to have a bit of a scour... watery nd yellow. Guessing thats just from the milk... should i give him bimadine ????
    Not sure of the mixing ratio to water..... anyone know
    The mix for glucose electrolyte is 3 or 4 tablespoons of glucose, 1 tablespoon of bread soda and half a tablespoon of salt in 2 litres of water. If you’re using milk replacer you need to look at the mixing rate on the bag but most are around 135g per litre. Make sure it’s blood warm when feeding. If you’re using a glass bottle to feed put the bottle in hot water first to warm it so it doesn’t cool the mix.

That’s a good warm place for him beside the range cooker. I would give him biamedin. Bring him to your Vet in the morning if you can.

Base price wrote: »
    That’s a good warm place for him beside the range cooker. I would give him biamedin. Bring him to your Vet in the morning if you can.

Gave him half sachet of Bimadine in 750ml of water... stuff just running out of him.....liquid brownish stuff... hes deffinately warmer.
    Thanks to everyone that contributed. I Appreciate it. Fingers crossed till i get to vet.....

Are you able to stomach tube? Vet could show you how if you can't. Honey is good for getting a calf to suck. Good luck with it. Has his nose warmed up since he came inside?

Are you able to stomach tube? Vet could show you how if you can't. Honey is good for getting a calf to suck. Good luck with it. Has his nose warmed up since he came inside?

Yea. His nose is warm nd dry. I stomach tubed before. But i never got training do i wouldnt be the most confident doing it. Will try get him in to the vet around 9am and take it from there....
    Should i bring him out to cow nd suck whatever she has before i go to the vet... Dairy mans milk all gone. So will have to get some more......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Yea. His nose is warm nd dry. I stomach tubed before. But i never got training do i wouldnt be the most confident doing it. Will try get him in to the vet around 9am and take it from there....
    Should i bring him out to cow nd suck whatever she has before i go to the vet... Dairy mans milk all gone. So will have to get some more......

Can you milk the cow and bottle him rather than tiring him out trying to suck, especially if she has shag all? Would the dairy man have another drop?
    Looks a good strong calf and won't be long turning the corner I hope.
    Bag of milk replacer is the way to go and forget about the cow.

Once his nose is warm it's good. A cold nose is a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Fair play to you Rushy, you are doing the very best you can for that calf and giving him every chance possible. It would make my day to hear that the calf has survived and started to get a bit stronger! Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Vet is best place for him. Great advice from posters, I'll add my tuppence worth. Space out the times between giving electrolytes and milk, 2 hrs, as electrolytes curdle the milk and upset digestion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement