Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Well Sir Knight.
    And Mrs Knight.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

greysides wrote: »
    Well Sir Knight.
    And Mrs Knight.

I was going to post Knight Rider but you have that covered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

Charolais bull

How would you calculate the calving difficulty?
    Three births-
    1: emergency section
    2. Elected section (fear of emergency one)
    3. Elected section.

I have worked in theatre for all of these you def do not want number one and you definitely do not want a catatory one emergency section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

naughto wrote: »
    I have worked in theatre for all of these you def do not want number one and you definitely do not want a catatory one emergency section

Plus one emergency section on number 2 here and it is a terrifying experience. Funny thing was we had just finished when another woman was wheeled into the next theatre with an abruption. The surgeon ungowned and regowned in seconds made a great difference to the second couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

3 sections here first was an emergency as both me and baby deteriorated very quickly. Other 2 were a walk in the park

• Advertisement

Last lad was an elective and it is a lot less stressful.
    The second child was an ounce shy of 11lb so why it was an emergency section I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

whelan2 wrote: »
    3 sections here first was an emergency as both me and baby deteriorated very quickly. Other 2 were a walk in the park

Ya that would be a cat 1 emergency only did two thankfully as I am gone out of that section now.
    You will see how quick people move when a cat one is called both baby and mother in bother.
    Straight in to theatre no gowing up or scrubbing infection control will be sorted with after baby and mother are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The OH was in labour for 32hrs with the First Lady- whole ward was worried. Baby was star gazing as they call it and big.
    Mod wife kept asking my OHs shoe size. Young dr was texting while checking her and chewing gum. I was like an anti Christ.
    Then at the end the top dr came in- mid wide said its time to prick head to test blood for oxygen- dr said no point, just whip it out. Longest half hour of my life.

Other two cool as a breeze. The new baby came into a room of laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

Shoe size??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Odelay wrote: »
    Shoe size??

Apparently to do with pelvis size. Above size 5 less likely to have a section

• Advertisement

One of those days when you put your family in the hands of strangers always found that the hardest part.
    Farmers know too much which doesn't make it easy either.
    Dont think labour wards make the husband/partner very welcome.

I was amazed how quickly a team could come together at 2.30am. I wonder how people got by years ago as most people gave birth at home.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I was amazed how quickly a team could come together at 2.30am. I wonder how people got by years ago as most people gave birth at home.. .

A good few mothers died in child birth

grassroot1 wrote: »
    One of those days when you put your family in the hands of strangers always found that the hardest part.

Oh was sent off with second 2 kids as soon as they were born.first lad needed special care . I was left on my own in recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Reggie. wrote: »
    A good few mothers died in child birth

That happened near me. Only found it out recently. The first wife and baby died at childbirth. I suppose over 80 years ago now.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

That happened near me. Only found it out recently. The first wife and baby died at childbirth. I suppose over 80 years ago now.

It's very rare now thankfully but those poor women who died years ago, probably no pain relief....

Oh was sent off with second 2 kids as soon as they were born.first lad needed special care . I was left on my own in recovery.

Dont get me wrong what women do is incredible especially hard for first time mothers.
    Just remember being really scared (trying not to show OH) and no one to ask what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It's very rare now thankfully but those poor women who died years ago, probably no pain relief....

Death rate is still massive in the likes of SS Africa - one of the reasons human females have so much difficulties giving birth is that the human skull evolved much quicker in size over the last 500k years compared to the female pelvis and birth canal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

grassroot1 wrote: »

One of my boys was born not breathing, remember the midwives doing a time count, and then rushing to phone to call emergency team, just then he burst out crying. I aged about ten years in that minute. I remember thinking we wont get him back because usually you dont get calves back that are born like that! My heart is racing just thinking about it now again!

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    One of my boys was born not breathing, remember the midwives doing a time count, and then rushing to phone to call emergency team, just then he burst out crying. I aged about ten years in that minute. I remember thinking we wont get him back because usually you dont get calves back that are born like that! My heart is racing just thinking about it now again!

It's funny how things take you back to that moment but at the time you have to live through it and deal with it as best you can. I remember coming home after second child and looking at calving camera and a cow had her womb out. Vet sent me back to bed and he dealt with it. He asked for a wine bottle before I left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tyson Furey, the boxer, was only one lb weight when born. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Tyson Furey, the boxer, was only one lb weight when born. :D

A bag of sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

A bag of sugar

Even less, only 454 grammes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭Grueller

tanko wrote: »
    Even less, only 454 grammes.

No he is a bag of sugar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I done my 3rd week of boxing training this week at grand age of 37. Dark nights and off training when kids are in bed. Played hurling and soccer and by god those boxers are super fit humans. Horrendous workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Cow calved saturday morning out in field.... Only one quarter.... gave calf bottle of colostrum sat afternoon ... calf has gone back .... tried milk from dairy farmer twice daily but calf not bothered... is he fuxxed??? Managed to get it in to him but could take the guts of 30 mins to get it in to him..... hes very weak....Looks like cow is drying up in the one quarter also...... will i bring him to vet or am i waisting my time? Or should i make up something for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Cow calved saturday morning out in field.... Only one quarter.... gave calf bottle of colostrum sat afternoon ... calf has gone back .... tried milk from dairy farmer twice daily but calf not bothered... is he fuxxed??? Managed to get it in to him but could take the guts of 30 mins to get it in to him..... hes very weak....Looks like cow is drying up in the one quarter also...... will i bring him to vet or am i waisting my time? Or should i make up something for him?

Glucose powder for energy defo if mixing up a bottle for it, some people would crack an egg into it too make more substance, bring it inside anyway and make sure it cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Glucose powder for energy defo if mixing up a bottle for it, some people would crack an egg into it too make more substance, bring it inside anyway and make sure it cosy

How much glucose powder per ltr of water?
    Hes in the back of slatted shed (creep area) with cow on straw.... should i take him out nd put a light over him.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

How much glucose powder per ltr of water?
    Hes in the back of slatted shed (creep area) with cow on straw.... should i take him out nd put a light over him.?

If he very weak then creep area be still too cold for my likeing, its just like a new born baby, needs tlc, aw I personally would throw a small palm full in a litre or 2 of milk, id rather kill or cure a weak calf with more food than less, within reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

He has managed to survive for six days, i definitely wouldn't give up on him anyway. If you put sugar on your fingers will he suck them, you could get him onto a bottle then and get milk from a dairy farmer for him.
    If the cow has no milk i think i'd be forgetting about her feeding him.
    I'd bring him to a vet, they'll tube the right stuff into him to get him going if he's going to make it, bring a few litres of milk with you.
    Keeping him warm under a lamp is a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement