Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

whelan2 wrote: »
    Raised by the village was on earlier. Thought the lad was hard work.

He could benefit from a swift kick in the ass. Bad attitude and poor work ethic. He’d want to wake up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Jaysus every suckler cow and calf can be heard echoing around the walls of slatted houses!!!! The power is gone our of the grass! The winter is in!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    Jaysus every suckler cow and calf can be heard echoing around the walls of slatted houses!!!! The power is gone our of the grass! The winter is in!

All that extra silage may be needed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Just after emptying neighbours septic tank and unblocked the sewer for the 2nd time in a week. Some issue with the outfall to soakaway and we've just discovered that some genius piped a gully taking the water off half the roof into the sewer as well. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Just after emptying neighbours septic tank and unblocked the sewer for the 2nd time in a week. Some issue with the outfall to soakaway and we've just discovered that some genius piped a gully taking the water off half the roof into the sewer as well. :rolleyes:
    Bit of food dye into the gullies will tell you hand enough if they are getting into the sewer. I'm doing a few jobs like that for the council and some of the things going on are unreal. I pushed about a wheelbarrow load of wet wipes through blocked pipe the last day, when I was finished I went to the door to explain what was wrong she just closed the door out in my face once I said it was clear. Didn't want to or need to hear anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Just when the chat is about sewers, our contractor drove over & broke one of the concrete slabs covering 1/3 of my tank. Have it covered with a pallet & door for now but where or how do I go about getting a new slab put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

Just when the chat is about sewers, our contractor drove over & broke one of the concrete slabs covering 1/3 of my tank. Have it covered with a pallet & door for now but where or how do I go about getting a new slab put in.

Any of the concrete companies supplying blocks/slats etc will have a few of them already made up. They’ll deliver too, won’t cost the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭emaherx

It's a funny we country, I was just looking at fields thinking there is still great growth and cows are looking content :D

Some lads have been known to plumb the precast septic tanks in the wrong way around!! Never be right. Whole lot has to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Folks I'm on a course in work this week and I've to give a 5 minute presentation to show my presenting skills. Gonna do it on carbon sequestration in soils in an effort to educate the townie folks I work with :D

So any cool facts/figures or a few bullet points for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

Folks I'm on a course in work this week and I've to give a 5 minute presentation to show my presenting skills. Gonna do it on carbon sequestration in soils in an effort to educate the townie folks I work with :D

Here comes Say My Name with a world of information on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If you plant trees on peat with mounds and drains it takes 15 years for the trees to absorb the equivalent carbon released by disturbing the peat to plant them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Grueller wrote: »

It's the moment hes been waiting for. It's his time to shine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grueller wrote: »

Nah I wouldn't want to take your glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Sent away the last 8 bullocks of the year this morning. Grass was still good enough to add weight, but its definitely going back from now on. West cork might be in better condition than up west along tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Plants use photosynthesis (sunlight) to take in carbon dioxide from the air. That carbon dioxide becomes carbon in the plant and in a relationship with fungi and bacteria in the soil it trades sugars (which there is carbon in) with the fungi and bacteria for nutrients. The bacteria and fungi grow and multiply and their poop and dead bodies become carbon in the soil.

In warm and dry conditions that soil carbon can convert back to carbon dioxide and gas off back to the atmosphere. That's why cool and wet countries like Ireland, Scotland and Wales are good at holding onto soil carbon in their farmland soils as well as from their grassland use.

Their could be an electrical component from carbon in soils too that feeds microbes and it may be like a Galvanic cell with carbon on the one side of the scale and magnesium on the other.
    If you mention that, they'll either promote you or lock you up!!

There's a nitrogen and carbon relationship in soil and nitrogen is attracted to carbon and soils rich in carbon can hold/store onto nitrogen better (less leaching) than soils low in carbon.

https://twitter.com/smilingtreefarm/status/1181165250252546050?s=20

I remember Matt Dempsey writing about a pair of kid's runners being the same price as a ton of barley, well here we have a 3.5 ton pair of wellies:rolleyes:

https://store.sportsden.ie/le-chameau-chasseur-cuir.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8mpLylpp9TMy4t4tlOvOdvNtXLp_sPzXaNNFPyJ1BZcXQjTgpF77HxoC2osQAvD_BwE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

blue5000 wrote: »
    If you plant trees on peat with mounds and drains it takes 15 years for the trees to absorb the equivalent carbon released by disturbing the peat to plant them.

Out of curiousity Blue, does this apply to the bogs that they plan on planting with trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I remember Matt Dempsey writing about a pair of kid's runners being the same price as a ton of barley, well here we have a 3.5 ton pair of wellies:rolleyes:

https://store.sportsden.ie/le-chameau-chasseur-cuir.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8mpLylpp9TMy4t4tlOvOdvNtXLp_sPzXaNNFPyJ1BZcXQjTgpF77HxoC2osQAvD_BwE

:eek: Who in their right mind would pay that for wellies???

Panch18 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity Blue, does this apply to the bogs that they plan on planting with trees?

Probably, but it depends on how dry they are before planting. The wetter they are the more likely they are to hold on to the CO2. The drains and disturbance release CO2.

My point is that it's probably better to focus on sequestering carbon in grassland. It should be more permanent, once you cut down a tree it is either burnt or rots, if it rots it releases the carbon again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Our Internet is quite bad, we’re with 3
    Is anyone with Rural wifi (see signs locally)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

€83 euro to fill the tank before diesel gets a hike in price with the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

You not come across the le chameu/schoffel clones before then?! LUCKY BUGGER.
    Must be a good sign you dont buy the agri industry sales rep/land agent/input sales types too many dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

Can you get Arden broadband in your area, good few people in my area have it and seem to be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111218719&postcount=122

You might be able to get something out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭emaherx

Rural wifi is 3 resold. So if 3 is bad most likely rural wifi will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The wind is carrying the sound of cattle roaring a fair distance, makes you paranoid they're your own. 4 bulls in paddocks around the house and yard are bawling at each other now as well whatever is in the air

I'm down with this weird cold/viral thing that's doing that rounds.

l decided to hit the hay as early as l could last night. Well if l did l started into a fit of mad dreaming.

l had left the tractor and trailer at local merchants. Don't ask me what l had to leave it there overnight for or what the hell l was collecting! Anyways l go in and this pup of a young lad that was working out the yard says he'll hop up and move tractor to load whatever l was supposed to be collecting!

A big sharp pullup to him and dust sent up in the air.... l was hopping!! Over l go and opening the door of the cab to give him a peace of my mind, l leave my hand on the back tyre. Tis near melting with the heat! There's steam coming off it.... when l take a closer look all 4 tyres are like strings of liquorice.... bald as a coot!!!! These the 4 tyres l put on new only last year!!!!!

Then l notice half the dash inside in the cab is missing !!
    When l question him, he gives a shrug as to say, "what's wrong with ya, sure how would l know what happened?!!"

I was in making a beeline for the manager.... and that's when l woke up in a sweat!!!!
    Jaysus he got a lucky escape l can tell ya!!!! What l wasn't going to say to him!!!!

l decided to hit the hay as early as l could last night. Well if l did l started into a fit of mad dreaming.

l had left the tractor and trailer at local merchants. Don't ask me what l had to leave it there overnight for or what the hell l was collecting! Anyways l go in and this pup of a young lad that was working out the yard says he'll hop up and move tractor to load whatever l was supposed to be collecting!

A big sharp pullup to him and dust sent up in the air.... l was hopping!! Over l go and opening the door of the cab to give him a peace of my mind, l leave my hand on the back tyre. Tis near melting with the heat! There's steam coming off it.... when l take a closer look all 4 tyres are like strings of liquorice.... bald as a coot!!!! These the 4 tyres l put on new only last year!!!!!

When l question him, he gives a shrug as to say, "what's wrong with ya, sure how would l know what happened?!!"

I was in making a beeline for the manager.... and that's when l woke up in a sweat!!!!
    Jaysus he got a lucky escape l can tell ya!!!! What l wasn't going to say to him!!!!

Stay away from the cheese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

That’s the DTs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement