Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ganmo wrote: »
    What's the withdrawal? :p

Hopefully not too long. Living the dream I am.... lad who normally does a few milkings is laid up and young lad is at college .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Still trying to clear it here. I think lm over the hump though. Told herself to hold off ringing the local undertaker:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

Muckit wrote: »
    Still trying to clear it here. I think lm over the hump though. Told herself to hold off ringing the local undertaker:D

Is it very bad? I am at the front end here with a sore throat, headache and sinuses. Is there a chance I could be on the way out?

On the good news front, the auld fella announced that he is going to get out of sheep.........................................In two to three years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Grueller wrote: »
    Is it very bad? I am at the front end here with a sore throat, headache and sinuses. Is there a chance I could be on the way out?

On the good news front, the auld fella announced that he is going to get out of sheep.........................................In two to three years time.

Well it's never a good idea to go cold turkey sheep with such things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Phucks sake lad!

I've been trying to ring you all morning.
    Your hoggets are out in Micky Brennan's paddocks since last night.
    Ye better get down there quick!!
    I could have swore I seen him going with the shotgun.

• Advertisement

I've been listening to the same thing about the sucklers. I laugh to myself whenever he says it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muckit wrote: »

I was talking to a lad that spent a good few years at his father to get out of them and he did last year. The son misses them like mad now and is going to buy "a few" hoggets as an early Christmas present for the father!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Example 115,457 why insurance is a total scam.

I was ringing round recently looking for van insurance and having never had a commercial policy before I was expecting a tough time.

To be sure I got quotes of €1000, ,€1200 and even one of €2500.
    AXA refused to quote for the policy as I had “insufficient driving experience of a commercial vehicle”.

I went with insuremyvan in the end and got fully comp for €460 which really surprised me.

Cert and disc landed today and it is insured with .... you guessed it, AXA ?

It’s a big fat con the whole damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Anyone watching grand designs? Some fit of madness.
    The whole thing had the bang of Brexit about it. Notions!

_Brian wrote: »
    Was in a filling station earlier getting tea ...

These kids would be better taken into care and out with foster families to give them some chance.

That's crazy talk, have you any awareness of humanity? The horror of splitting families and what the foster care system actually results in. The words "Tusla scandal" ring any bells? We've been through this typr of process with the state institutions before and it didn't work out well.
    I think whatever chance kids have in life , the love and care of their families is their best one, regardless of the external circumstances that they might find themselves in.
    There's plenty of traveller bashing threads on Boards here if you're looking for like minded folk.

• Advertisement

That's crazy talk, have you any awareness of humanity? The horror of splitting families and what the foster care system actually results in. The words "Tusla scandal" ring any bells? We've been through this typr of process with the state institutions before and it didn't work out well.
    I think whatever chance kids have in life , the love and care of their families is their best one, regardless of the external circumstances that they might find themselves in.
    There's plenty of traveller bashing threads on Boards here if you're looking for like minded folk.

Plenty of kids move onto new loving families and flourish as a result.
    What I saw was pure child neglect, nothing else.

I’ve had extensive intimate contact with tusla over a long period of time and on the whole it was a very positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

We only keep a few sheep, so last year the auld lad said he was cutting back, we had 34 ewes in 2017 and cut back to 38 in 2018.........so far this year we have expanded to 34...:D go figure that logic.....so I feel your pain.

Survived the day anyway and milk recording this evening. My mother asked me what am I taking for my dose. I would have to be on my deathbed to even take paracetamol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

When these children go on to make up 33% of the prison population, despite being in an etnic minority that makes up .7% of the population, your definition of a successful outcome needs rethinking....
    Thats .7 of 1%, not 7%......

Nekarsulm wrote: »

When these children go on to make up 33% of the prison population, despite being in an etnic minority that makes up .7% of the population, your definition of a successful outcome needs rethinking....
    Thats .7 of 1%, not 7%......
    I'm talking about the proposal to take children from their parents based on background and externalities which is horrendous, while you're tarring people based on their ethnicity/ social group. While socially deprived groups and minority groups would generally have poorer outcomes worldwide, that is incidental to my comment about child snatching.

I'm out of this, it's a bit too discriminatory for my liking, and a bit off topic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Socially deprived.
    My ar5e.
    Deliberate self exclusion from societal norms.
    Most apparent in education of their children.

Plenty of kids move onto new loving families and flourish as a result.
    What I saw was pure child neglect, nothing else.

I’ve had extensive intimate contact with tusla over a long period of time and on the whole it was a very positive experience.
    Good for you, and I'm quite sure that in general Tusla do the best they can in difficult circumstances, but there has been well pubicised poor outcomes too.

IMHO, taking children from their parents is an extreme measure and should not be based on externalities or social background.

Good for you, and I'm quite sure that in general Tusla do the best they can in difficult circumstances, but there has been well pubicised poor outcomes too.

IMHO, taking children from their parents is an extreme measure and should not be based on externalities or social background.

Because of the abusive way their parents rear them they are something like 10 times more likely to end up in jail, have a life expectancy near half the regular population, literacy rates and school attendance that are horrific, the 10yo girl I saw is likely to be married off in 3-4 years as a child bride, suicide rates near double the norm, Consigned to live in squalor for their short existence.

But hey, let’s leave them at it because there will always those willing to explain it away as being “their culture” and blame the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was talking to a guy once on a course I was doing. He was fostering 2 traveller girls. Very sad background. Father was in prison and mother was an alcoholic. He was rushing home for one of their birthdays.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A great view from the office today

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A great view from the office today

You going to share it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You going to share it ?

Ah yes only a tease that fella

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah yes only a tease that fella

Hahahahaha.... says the chief teaser

I only noticed it now and never saved the photo

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Making the most of every sunny day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Making the most of every sunny day

Some life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I was talking to a guy once on a course I was doing. He was fostering 2 traveller girls. Very sad background. Father was in prison and mother was an alcoholic. He was rushing home for one of their birthdays.

Do you know how much you get for fostering kids per week per child. It would open your eyes.

• Advertisement

I says wrote: »
    Do you know how much you get for fostering kids per week per child. It would open your eyes.

I bet it’s better value than what it would cost to have them in residential care, never mind having them in positive family environment is invaluable.

When their family situation is so dire then it’s goong to be costing the state either way, and if we can save them from growing up as drug addicts or criminals then it’s momey well spent.

These families are doing a service for the state and society in general, i for one am not against them getting a generous allowance to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement