Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Did Mike fight anyone of Fury or AJ size who where decent ? Did he even fight anyone of Wilder's height ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ is 6 feet 5…

Tucker is 6 feet 5/6..bout inch shy of Wilder..

Fought several men 5/6 inches taller than him…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

good angle and audio on the exchange of words at the end

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I've just re-watched the Fury vs. Wilder fight.

I said in thread at the time that Fury was lucky with the count when the referee sent Wilder back to the neutral corner but watching it back, I think the ref was fair. He gave Wilder more time than I initially thought when he was knocked down. Fury also got up quicker than I remembered.

• Advertisement

I know Tyson and Riddick were good friends but I really thought they had fought with Tyson winning.

Prison put paid to their ever proper meeting. That 1991-1994 period would have possibly produced some epics..with Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Foreman and Lewis all at or near their peak..Tyson wee bit past his best, and Foreman at his 1990s peak. Bowe and Holyfield were at their HW peak. Lewis possibly

it’s a travesty that from that bunch we got eff all fights during that period from them..

I see Wilder has come out and given some respect to Fury. I think we should forgive the attitude considering the disappointment and how scrambled his head has to have been after the beating he stood up to. Fury accepted it too. Good to see that.

https://twitter.com/bronzebomber/status/1448711633153368065?s=21

I agree with that! Imagine even having the dvd of the documentary of them fights whatever about the fantasy match ups.

On the Tyson vs aj or Wilder discussion I give neither much hope. Tyson was a wrecking ball God help them both when he would land the body shot I’m wincing at the thought. They would both fold over I’d go as far as to say I’d happily bet on him to beat both on the same night. Neither have anything like the defence required to keep him (a peak him) at bay. I think he’s a hateful match up for any of them. Don’t fancy Fury all that much either... maybe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

You mean wilder released a prepared statement to try and save face after the backlash, he didn’t write that himself

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Hahaha! That’s cold! Ah he made a bollox of himself but at least it’s said now. Fury’s twitter operator retweeted it so all good

Whether he wrote the statement or not is irrelevant. He signed off and approved it. I’ll give him a pass right after the fight. He was clearly dazed, hurt, stressed, concussed and confused. Mind all over the place. Time and reflection kicking in now.

Yea that’s where my head is at on it. Resting and doc visits I’m sure on Sunday maybe monday too. Tuesday chilling with family and wednesday maybe a meeting with advisors who would have put him right.

I always feel so sorry for a knocked out HW in a big fight. Like Foreman Ali, the sight of a mountain crumbling and wobbling out of the ring is the saddest sight in sport. Even lower down the order I felt sorry for Price and Dubois for instance. As much as it’s exciting to see the KO I was kinda glad for aj looking back that he made the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just watched the fight again. It was over rated. Morning after I heard them call it one of the all time classics.

Entertaining enough but quality was severely lacking. Wilder is just so one dimensional. He was gassed from at least round 6. He has 0 defence at the best of times.

2nd half of the fight was just childs play. For Wilder to have the tank completely empty by round 6 looks terrible. All he has is a haymaker which he just spams like a video game.

Fury's defence not as good as it was, getting hit far more often now.

From round 6 it was quite a boring fight and even the fans in the arena were muted.

Jaysus you’re hard to please. There are points during the Bowe Holyfield fights where they’re just slugging and there aren’t much tactics. Ali Frazier III saw a great big one fail to put away a great little one who couldn’t see. Was Lewis Holyfield especially exciting... either time? It was a dramatic fight. That’s entertainment. Then we saw a guy who was well beaten keep coming back and standing firm in an admirable way. Fury had a bit of an off night but the fight shows just how far ahead of Wilder he is so we got the answer. I get your point it was full of mistakes and really showed wilder up but I’m more than glad I got up!

There was nothing in Bowe-Holyfield 1 remotely boring or not exciting. It was 36 minutes of enjoyment, skill, heart and ebb and flow.

fights 2 and 3, yes, didn’t match fight 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

David Haye can't shake the Bellew losses.......needs redemption and the limelight for his ego.

Well now I didn’t call them boring. My point is that if you strip back some of even the classics you can find faults in technique, tactics etc.

I realize you didn't call them boring, hence my inclusion of the exciting bit...

Just rating Bowe-Holyfied 1: 10/10 for me

Wilder-Fury III: 7/10....

Clear gulf in overall class/skill/excitement and fight!!!!

Wilder was in survival mode for large parts the fight....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'd go back further to the Wladimir K loss. I remember watching the fight and thinking he had absolutely no answers to what he was up against which surprised me a bit.

I think it probably got into his head.

Haye lost any big fight he was in......I'll include the Bellew fights as kind of big.....

Yes, beat Ruiz (possibly weakest HW champion in history) and Valueev, but other than this he failed to really impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I find it crazy to think the first Haye/Bellew fight is 4 and a half years ago!

Tucker is down as 6'3 every where ? he was 221lbs when he fought Mike

AJ is 6'6 and for instance when he fought Wlad was 250lbs even really slimmed down for Usyk was 240lbs

There's a big difference plus he is far better than Tucker

I wouldn't judge Fury defence to much on Saturday ,

Even forget about he 18 months years out of the ring & had a troubled camp forget about all that,

The game plan was kind of to get hit , Sounds mad but if you think about it if you stay at range & try to be slick & move you don't tire Wilder out , you give him time to set & you give him the range he needs ,he will eventually nail you, Fury's team decided to bit down on the gum shield ,hold you hands up high & expect to get hit but in doing so closed the distance lean on him rough him up and tire him out,

Most of Wilder's best Ko's are ones they other guy doesn't see coming,

I really don't think its wise to try & beat Wilder in an eye pleasing fight, If AJ or Usyk fought Wilder from the outside chances are both would eventually go to sleep ,

His gas tank was only bad because he was constantly under pressure, First fight his gas was fine, Ortiz 1 his gas was fine even when hurt,

Fury's pressure destroyed him but to do so Fury was going to take some shots,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Tucker is not 6’3..

he was easily 6 feet 5

and it’s not at all clear AJ is far better than Tucker, not that it matters a damn for AJ vs. Tyson

did you watch Tucker vs Tyson? Mike won clearly on points against a big and strong and awkward and durable Tucker, who came to spoil and survive. AJ not near as durable. AJ gets KTFO early.

amyway, let it go. No matter what is discussed with Tyson, you will try pick it apart. You’re debating lbs here and there, and then questioning inches here and there. You don’t rate him. That’s fine.

I just happen to think he decimates AJ every time.

and I bet the vast majority boxing fans would agree.

it’s plain as the nose on your face why Tyson decimates AJ every time, and why he is a horrible match for him

and easily looks it. Pretty much same height as Bowe/Lewis and AJ

Just seen that it has 6'5 ft , i didn't think he was 6'5 but that the aul memory for ye

Yes iv seen it ,Tucker was tough man no debate there,

• Advertisement

He was very durable. I could be wrong, but Mike was first to beat him, and he wasn’t beaten until Lewis beat him 5-6 years later.

Tucker was past his best by then.

As to his 221 lbs weight in 1987. It was ripped solid. Look at his frame.

vs. Lewis he was 230+, and in shape as well.

Only 4 men took Tyson the distance up to the end 1989. Two of them were when Mike was only 19, and Mike won both fights well. Tillis and Green were easily 8 years older than the 19 year old Tyson, and if you watch both fights, no way in hell can AJ replicate what they did to go the distance. Tyson was on them all night, and fighting like a maniac. AJ would have been easily taken out

Smith in 1987 was a tough and durable and wily fighter, who only came to survive. And Mike won via shutout. Tucker the same, albeit a closer fight.

As you yourself say regularly, AJ is not a born fighter. He doesn't have that Fury type innate attitude and ability, and this is extremely damaging for him if he faced Tyson.

Advertisement