Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

I put these up on the resale website if people are still looking.

2 x Sco v Ireland Cat B
    2 x Eng v France Cat C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

when are the e tickets issued?

September I believe which seems kinda late for the early pool matches. Guess they might stagger them in terms of game order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Eod100 wrote: »
    September I believe which seems kinda late for the early pool matches. Guess they might stagger them in terms of game order.

I'm assuming with e-tickets you can just download to your phone?

I'm assuming with e-tickets you can just download to your phone?

Don't know the particulars but guess so yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Don't know the particulars but guess so yeah.

As long as it is not as complicated as their toilets we will be grand!

• Advertisement

Would it be an idea to put up a poll to see when people are going over if people fancied catching up? Might not be possible if people are traveling about but even to meet up for drinks before/after matches could be bit of craic if there was interest? Might be better way of doing it than poll so if anyone has a better idea about away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Would it be an idea to put up a poll to see when people are going over if people fancied catching up? Might not be possible if people are traveling about but even to meet up for drinks before/after matches could be bit of craic if there was interest? Might be better way of doing it than poll so if anyone has a better idea about away!
    I'm there for knockout stages

I'm there for knockout stages

Me too, QF and semi

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Me too, QF and semi

I’m there for the first two pool games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Me too, QF and semi

Me too, adding the final. Arrive the Saturday morning of the QF weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Group matches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The first weekend for me. Probably will be hanging around The Irish Times.
    https://www.irishtimes.jp/

finbarrk wrote: »

Have you seen the price of a Guinness there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Have you seen the price of a Guinness there?

almost a 10er,
    Plenty of cheaper places in tokyo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

finbarrk wrote: »

I'm not trying to be rude, but why on earth would you fly halfway across the world to Japan, to sit in an Irish bar and spend 8/9 euro a pint?

I'm not trying to be rude, but why on earth would you fly halfway across the world to Japan, to sit in an Irish bar and spend 8/9 euro a pint?

Where would you go? Do you speak Japanese?

Booze in general is expensive in Japan and a few of the local places aren't the warmest to tourists. Get a can from the beer vending machines on the streets! A true cultural experience :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't understand the Irish pub thing

a lot in tokyo will speak basic english and in a bar its not the most difficult ordering process

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You don't need to speak Japanese in a lot of places in Tokyo, there's a massive tourist industry and most places will have menus in English as well as Japanese and servers with a basic grasp of English.

I'd say once you get over there it'll be a case of follow the crowds and see where they go, look don't get me wrong it's obviously good to meet up with other Irish fans and Irish pubs are a decent spot for that, but the city will be flooded with fans from all around the world, does no harm to branch out and experience Japanese bars etc.

• Advertisement

I do get the Irish Pub thing. People are travelling for a sporting event and so will go where many Irish are likely to congregate. I would not go to Japan myself and sit in Irish pub watching a rerun of a gaelic football match but in the context of a large sporting event then it is understandable.

Been to Japan three times myself for a total of 6 weeks and had a single drink in three irish pubs just to see their take on Irish pubs. The best was a lad in Kyoto who must have googled translated the name of the pub as he called it "Irish Pub Field" :pac::pac:

He used to own a cafe and played trad in it, his friends said they would stay longer if he served alcohol so he set up the pub.

You don't need to speak Japanese in a lot of places in Tokyo, there's a massive tourist industry and most places will have menus in English as well as Japanese and servers with a basic grasp of English.

I'd say once you get over there it'll be a case of follow the crowds and see where they go, look don't get me wrong it's obviously good to meet up with other Irish fans and Irish pubs are a decent spot for that, but the city will be flooded with fans from all around the world, does no harm to branch out and experience Japanese bars etc.

Make sure you go to Golden Gai for a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

As someone who's done a fair but of boozing in Japan..

If you are going there for an Irish rugby match then you certainly want to be in an Irish bar before hand, to rub off other fans. Many bars in Tokyo wouldn't cater so well to the western sports fan in terms of drinking set up. Some are located on the 6th floor of an office block, others (like in the Golden Gai area) are basically long narrow rooms with a bar that fit 10 people only, sitting in a row. A lot of bars are table service and you are not really encouraged to stand around crowding the bar itself.

As cool as Japanese bars are to check out, they really aren't set up for pre match boozing.

Never understood the whole 'why would you go to an Irish bar in 'blah blah blah' Generally the answer is because they are fun! You'll find plenty of locals in them too.

PMC83 wrote: »

If you are going there for an Irish rugby match then you certainly want to be in an Irish bar before hand, to rub off other fans. Many bars in Tokyo wouldn't cater so well to the western sports fan in terms of drinking set up. Some are located on the 6th floor of an office block, others (like in the Golden Gai area) are basically long narrow rooms with a bar that fit 10 people only, sitting in a row. A lot of bars are table service and you are not really encouraged to stand around crowding the bar itself.

As cool as Japanese bars are to check out, they really aren't set up for pre match boozing.

Never understood the whole 'why would you go to an Irish bar in 'blah blah blah' Generally the answer is because they are fun! You'll find plenty of locals in them too.

I’ve seen prices from 509 yen up to 1100 yen!
    What would he average pint price over there?:)

bennyl10 wrote: »

Honestly can't remember as it was a few years back, I will say avoid any bar that is in an office block, drinks are PRICEY- and some will have a cover charge, which you may not realise before you enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

bennyl10 wrote: »

For Western style pubs I would consider the Hub chain to be average cost-wise, your not gonna get much cheaper for a pint unless its from a can/surger.

Here's the menu
    https://www.pub-hub.com/index.php/menu/lists/HUB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

PMC83 wrote: »

In this case would you not just go to the fanzones on match day?

And on the other days - don't see the point in travelling half way around the world to go to an Irish pub, but each to their own.

AdamD wrote: »
    In this case would you not just go to the fanzones on match day?

And on the other days - don't see the point in travelling half way around the world to go to an Irish pub, but each to their own.

TBH that's exactly what I would be doing, match days in with all the fans, down days, checking out the more local spots

Let people do what they want without being condescending pricks I say.

• Advertisement

Let people do what they want without being condescending pricks I say.

Delightful! The above are really just some friendly tips based on past experience, obviously you are free to read it whatever way you want, enjoy the world cup!

Advertisement