Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I'm going booking it myself, not going via tour company as too expensive. Looking to book flights soon. Wondering if anyone has experience or advice regarding Some of those thrid party companies that you can book flights through?

Some seem to have excellent value in comparison to the airline websites, but I don't know much about those websites. The reviews seem fine but would appreciate any experience others on here have had. Websites I'm talking about would be the likes of Gate1, jetabroad and etravel Ireland i think they are called.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Personally I would only book flights direct with company or via a Travel Agent

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    I'm going booking it myself, not going via tour company as too expensive. Looking to book flights soon. Wondering if anyone has experience or advice regarding Some of those thrid party companies that you can book flights through?

Some seem to have excellent value in comparison to the airline websites, but I don't know much about those websites. The reviews seem fine but would appreciate any experience others on here have had. Websites I'm talking about would be the likes of Gate1, jetabroad and etravel Ireland i think they are called.

Most of these websites from comparison sites are for the saver fares, so don’t include baggage fees etc.. They are handy to work out route and airlines but I’d always go with the airline website.

I booked through KLM and travel from Cork to Tokyo for €1,070.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I used that etravel Ireland before to Dubai and saved about €400 on a family of 4. I'm using Opodo for Tokyo. Shannon, Heathrow, Vienna, Tokyo. about €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Booked my flights last month for 750 return on Emirates. :cool::cool:

A380 from Dubai to Tokyo too. (Only going for 12 days though, for the last group game and the quarter final).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

I got screwed over by Opodo a few years ago, had flight booked with them to JNB via Madrid. But then the Dub-Mad flight was removed from the schedule about 3 months out. Never contacted me. I just happened to login into airline site one day and the booking was messed up. Opodo didn't want to know. Ended up having to take refund and repurchase new flights for significantly more.

On the otherhand, have used gohop succesfully before. But still primarily book directly with airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

eTravel are good, highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

PO’C working for itv at WC
    One of the better analysts

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Went through the airline myself after using the comparison websites to work out what routes/options were preferable. BA & JAL from Dublin - London - Tokyo in PE for €1300.

I find some of the horror stories about third party sites offputting, and since this is the trip of a lifetime for us, was willing to pay full whack to have confidence/reassurance in our plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Booked flights with finnair, shortest route to Japan from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The world cup jersey launch is the 12th of July in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Found the flights on skyscanner, €650 return with stop over in Moscow (Aeroflot). Lengthy layover on the way over so gonna use it as a way to see Moscow, only a 2 hour layover on the way back.

Booked through a company called Vayama.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

1huge1 wrote: »
    Found the flights on skyscanner, €650 return with stop over in Moscow (Aeroflot). Lengthy layover on the way over so gonna use it as a way to see Moscow, only a 2 hour layover on the way back.

We very very nearly booked this flight because the layover is actually pretty good IIRC. You land at 8am or so and leave 11 hours later. Plenty of daylight time to pop into Moscow, see Red Square, the Kremlin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 stotheototheb

what are folks thoughts on the JR rail pass? is it more convenient to buy as saves the hassle on trying to figure out the local train stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

We are only going for one game / a week so not worth buying JR pass. Doesn’t seem worth it if only staying in Tokyo and heading to Yokohama. I’ve downloaded the Tokyo subway map in English and they all have letters/numbers and each line is different colour so hoping I can master it. ��

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

what are folks thoughts on the JR rail pass? is it more convenient to buy as saves the hassle on trying to figure out the local train stations!

Whatever about convenience, it is significantly cheaper if you intend on taking any number of trains at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

1huge1 wrote: »

Don't forget that you'll need a transit visa for your day in Moscow. It's about €80

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Whatever about convenience, it is significantly cheaper if you intend on taking any number of trains at all.

yeah, one return trip to Kobe/Osaka would probably cost more than a 7 day JR pass.

We will be there for 3 weeks and travelling around a good bit (Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, Japanese Alps, Kanazawa, Tokyo, Nikko at a minimum) – the JR Rail Pass makes sense for us.

Priced a ticket from Fukuoka to Hiroshima on the bullet train and it was coming out at nearly 100 euro - and that's a short enough journey. JR pass offers immense value if you're going to be taking the Shinkansen a couple of times or more.

We will be there for 3 weeks and travelling around a good bit (Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, Japanese Alps, Kanazawa, Tokyo, Nikko at a minimum) – the JR Rail Pass makes sense for us.

pretty similar schedule to us, definitely getting JR

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    pretty similar schedule to us, definitely getting JR

Are you going for the pools or the knockouts? We're starting the trip with the last pool game.

Are you going for the pools or the knockouts? We're starting the trip with the last pool game.

yes same

Samoa game then QFs and SF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The Japanese people are very helpful to strangers who look lost. The gf was over there with a friend and this Japanese guy came up to help them as they were in a station looking lost. He didn't have any English. So went off to find someone who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Anyone else book with Unique Japan Tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Is there anyone here who’s got a resale of etickets?
    Any idea when money is sent back?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Thanks for advice and experience put forward. Booked through airline in the end, fairly steep at over a grand but done now.

We will definitely be purchasing the JR rail pass as makes sense with internal travelling planned. Just a word of note to anyone thinking of getting the rail pass, it's for tourists only I believe and must be purchased outside of Japan. So get it before you go as you won't be able to buy it over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Thanks for advice and experience put forward. Booked through airline in the end, fairly steep at over a grand but done now.

We will definitely be purchasing the JR rail pass as makes sense with internal travelling planned. Just a word of note to anyone thinking of getting the rail pass, it's for tourists only I believe and must be purchased outside of Japan. So get it before you go as you won't be able to buy it over there.

Yeah think you can only buy a couple of months in advance too iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SuperScout

I only just found this thread. For those of you needing a bit of help----
    I have a very helpful info blog for all Irish Fans travelling to Japan. Search the above title. I have nothing to do with Paddy Power.
    It is a blog with pages of information and links. It also has a social side. It is not for profit. Hope to meet up with loads of Irish fans out there.
    It will show up a little down the results. after a few obvious PP commercial links.

Riskymove wrote: »
    yes same

Samoa game then QFs and SF

We will see you on the trail then no doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Advertisement