Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hi guys and gals, looking at doing Cork city marathon 2019 and trying to decide on a marathon plan. Ran my first marathon, DCM in 2017 and went out for 3:30 eventhough i had trained for 3:45 and was in a world of pain towards the end, collapsed with 200m to go and helped over the line for 3:46

Ideally would like to keep a speed session per week as I really enjoy it but not a gamebreaker. Definitely think I need some longer runs with marathon pace included. Looking at 50-60 miles per week max.

Current PB's
    5K - 19:51
    10K - 43:23 (have only ran 2 races at this distance)
    10 Mile - 72:52
    Half - 1:34:59
    Marathon 3:46

Any suggestions of what plan would work best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

deisedude wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals, looking at doing Cork city marathon 2019 and trying to decide on a marathon plan. Ran my first marathon, DCM in 2017 and went out for 3:30 eventhough i had trained for 3:45 and was in a world of pain towards the end, collapsed with 200m to go and helped over the line for 3:46

Ideally would like to keep a speed session per week as I really enjoy it but not a gamebreaker. Definitely think I need some longer runs with marathon pace included. Looking at 50-60 miles per week max.

Current PB's

Would be well worth your while buying the book Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas I’d say. Even if you don’t follow the plans in it the book is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Would be well worth your while buying the book Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas I’d say. Even if you don’t follow the plans in it the book is very good.

+1 to this. I'd also recommend Meno's plan which has been used by quite a few with great results. Link is on the first post of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Yevon wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where the Meno plan is? I've seen a few recommend it, I'm thinking of following it for the Connemara Marathon next year.

There's a link on the first post in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Yevon wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where the Meno plan is? I've seen a few recommend it, I'm thinking of following it for the Connemara Marathon next year.

I'd plus one on this plan. Used it for DCM this year and loved it. Nice variety and it had me well prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Current PB's

Hi there. My PBs are almost identical to yours, up to HM. Your marathon suggests a lack of endurance but nothing a good solid base building and carefully executed marathon block between now and June wouldn’t sort out. Curious why you trained for 3:45 last time out and then targeted a much faster time? Not surprised how it turned out! But marathon improvement is all about learning from past mistakes and building on the stuff you’ve done well. Any plan mentioned should be OK as long as you’re honest and realistic about ability.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi there. My PBs are almost identical to yours, up to HM. Your marathon suggests a lack of endurance but nothing a good solid base building and carefully executed marathon block between now and June wouldn’t sort out. Curious why you trained for 3:45 last time out and then targeted a much faster time? Not surprised how it turned out! But marathon improvement is all about learning from past mistakes and building on the stuff you’ve done well. Any plan mentioned should be OK as long as you’re honest and realistic about ability.

Haha stupidity would be the main reason! Don't know why really. One or 2 lads in the club said I'd be able for 3:30 so about 2 weeks out I said I'd go for it but looking back you are right, I didn't have the endurance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Picked up on this point from OOnegative in the novices thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108632548&postcount=4580

How widely applicable is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Picked up on this point from OOnegative in the novices thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108632548&postcount=4580

Just to state that was merely my advice RE the marathons, loads do it. The rest I believe stands, open to correction obviously but a block of training for shorter distances never harmed any who log here past or present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'd completely agree with him to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'd agree too. The Hanson bros would caution against doing any more than three marathons in a two-year period.

They've a couple of articles that kind of touch on the issue:

https://hansonscoachingservices.com/just-ran-my-marathon-now-what-beginning-the-process-of-long-term-planning/

https://hansonscoachingservices.com/hcs-and-periodization-how-we-structure-training/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Huzzah! wrote: »

Thanks, Huzzah! From this one, worth highlighting.
    What happens when a person races the same distance over and over is that they will often become stagnant and plateau. The reasoning is because many times they simply lose balance in training and certain components become ignored for months on end.

For example, if all you do is 5k races, chances are you’ll avoid doing any work at marathon pace or anything really between an easy pace and lactate threshold. The problem is that you really aren’t providing any stress at a “high aerobic” level and limit the growth of your aerobic foundation. Instead, you may be trying to pull your fitness up by only trying to improve your VO2max and top end speed.

Conference paper from some UCD folks, looking at potential PBs and a plan to reach same. If you're to nerding out.

Marathon Race Planning: A Case-Based Reasoning Approach

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Any Irish marathons in April apart from connemarathon? I usually do royal canal but they are not running this year. Can't afford to go abroad.

judeboy101 wrote:
    Any Irish marathons in April apart from connemarathon? I usually do royal canal but they are not running this year. Can't afford to go abroad.

Limerick! Well, May 5th.

Limerick! Well, May 5th.

Plan on doing cork June bank hol so wanted early apr, but thanks. Is Limerick a nice race?

judeboy101 wrote:
    Plan on doing cork June bank hol so wanted early apr, but thanks. Is Limerick a nice race?

Tralee Marathon is April 20th I believe but limited to 150 entrants I think. I've never run Limerick marathon but know the route. Depends what you mean by nice? Do you mean route, or crowd support or quality of organisation or flatness or all of the above?

Tralee Marathon is April 20th I believe but limited to 150 entrants I think. I've never run Limerick marathon but know the route. Depends what you mean by nice? Do you mean route, or crowd support or quality of organisation or flatness or all of the above?

Flat and crowd?

judeboy101 wrote:
    Flat and crowd?

Support in parts is great and in other parts is non existent. It's not Dublin I'll put it to you that way but it's still decent.

Its not the hilliest by any stretch but a few drags here and there and a couple of nasty enough hills particularly late in the day at mile 23ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭browne_rob5

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Flat and crowd?

Limerick is pretty flat. There is a profile below the map in the link below. Its a potential PB course if the weather is good.

http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/BSHGLR-2018-Marathon-Route.pdf

Practically no crowd for the first half but it builds for the second half and there is a decent crowd approaching the finish. There is a good atmosphere in the city over the weekend as its tied in with Riverfest. I'd recommend running it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just a passing question, out and about, very occasionally I come across a jogger on the streets that makes the worst "flip flop" noise with their feet, does it matter? are they risking injury? do they have a poor running style?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Flat and crowd?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2677734087?share_unique_id=6

Decent crowd in spots, finish very good. Not an easy course but nothing too crazy in there. Drag outside the Gaelic Grounds late on is your biggest enemy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭28064212

silverharp wrote: »
    just a passing question, out and about, very occasionally I come across a jogger on the streets that makes the worst "flip flop" noise with their feet, does it matter? are they risking injury? do they have a poor running style?
    Way, way, WAY too many variables involved to draw any sort of conclusions based on one single aspect of a running style. Even if you did have an accurate assessment of this particular apect, and there was a large scale study that said something like 90% of runners would increase their injury risk if they ran like that, it still wouldn't mean that they're not part of the 10% that would be fine

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Way, way, WAY too many variables involved to draw any sort of conclusions based on one single aspect of a running style. Even if you did have an accurate assessment of this particular apect, and there was a large scale study that said something like 90% of runners would increase their injury risk if they ran like that, it still wouldn't mean that they're not part of the 10% that would be fine

Run that by me again? :confused:

I heard in the meantime that it might be a deliberate running style that is meant to reduce overall impact, even has a name "chirunning"

http://www.irishrunner.ie/a-perfect-balance/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I heard in the meantime that it might be a deliberate running style that is meant to reduce overall impact, even has a name "chirunning"

chi-running doesn't involve slapping your feet off the ground

Too many non-specific pronouns :-)

Rephrased: Say there's a study that says "90% of runners who use the 'flip-flop' style of running will have an increased risk of injury" - that means, in general, it's probably a poor running style. However, for a given specific runner (e.g. silverharp's jogger), that individual may well fall in to the 10%, where this 'bad' running style isn't bad for them (or is possibly even beneficial)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I think what he means is if you are not getting injured then your running form - no matter how off it looks to everyone else - is perfect for you individually.

The main question is would you go up to a stranger and tell them their running form is terrible?

Not sure I would

• Advertisement

I think what he means is if you are not getting injured then your running form - no matter how off it looks to everyone else - is perfect for you individually.
    Not exactly. More like: just because a particular style is bad for a lot of runners, it doesn't mean it's bad for a specific individual.

Too many non-specific pronouns :-)

Rephrased: Say there's a study that says "90% of runners who use the 'flip-flop' style of running will have an increased risk of injury" - that means, in general, it's probably a poor running style. However, for a given specific runner (e.g. silverharp's jogger), that individual may well fall in to the 10%, where this 'bad' running style isn't bad for them (or is possibly even beneficial)

Surely (if the study was real) there’s only a 10% chance that the runner falls into this ‘not bad/possibly beneficial’ category. Or slightly more, given that s/he isn’t injured (yet). :)

RayCun wrote: »

cheers, its what a runner at work thought the person might have been doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

cheers, its what a runner at work thought the person might have been doing.

The chi running book was going fine until he got to relaxation after running and there's a picture of him in a hot tub in all his clothes, cap and all.
    Lean at the hips just sounded wrong after that

Any other folks here signed up to a marathon in the first half of the year? Hows the training going?

I've just started training for Cork doing the P&D up to 55 mile plan myself

Any other folks here signed up to a marathon in the first half of the year? Hows the training going?

Connemarathon train going well, not looking for a time just looking to enjoy it. Iv signed up for Longford in august so targeting that time wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

I'm training for Edinburgh, also with the P&D 55 mile plan. on week 4 of plan at the moment.

Connemarathon train going well, not looking for a time just looking to enjoy it. Iv signed up for Longford in august so targeting that time wise

Have heard Connemara is very scenic. Good few from my club signed up for it. Longford a good one for a time, supposed to be flattish
    mbarr wrote: »
    I'm training for Edinburgh, also with the P&D 55 mile plan. on week 4 of plan at the moment.

How you finding the plan so far? The midweek 10 milers is definitely a step up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

How you finding the plan so far? The midweek 10 milers is definitely a step up for me!

Yeah, I've been used in previous cycles to running more frequently and with more shorter runs, so almost every run being 8+ miles right from the start of the plan is new to me.

In general I've been enjoying it so far, I'm quite fatigued this week but probably a host of factors at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

http://www.irishrunner.ie/a-perfect-balance/
    RayCun wrote: »

I’ve often noticed runners in vibrams making slappy noises - could the ‘link’ with chi running be based on chi runnings lean towards minimalist shoes?
    Does your mystery runner wear vibrams??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hamburg end of April.

Following the Advanced Marathon book up to 88km plan.

Followed it for Dublin last year. In a lot better nick compared to when I first started following it last summer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

It's been quiet around this thread for a while but I'll chance asking this question re pacing.
    I'm targeting a sub 3.30 DCM, which is 5 min/km pace.
    I'm doing my LSR's at 5 min 30 sec's/km and my easy runs at 5 min and 20 sec's /km.
    I'm not doing any speed work in my program but will include plenty of TMP kilometres in some of my runs.
    What would be the consensus re training at those paces?
    Thanks in advance.

It's been quiet around this thread for a while but I'll chance asking this question re pacing.
    I'm doing my LSR's at 5 min 30 sec's/km and my easy runs at 5 min and 20 sec's /km.
    I'm not doing any speed work in my program but will include plenty of TMP kilometres in some of my runs.
    Thanks in advance.

I’d be looking at 5:40-6:15 as the easy range, including the LR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Thanks in advance.
    What's your usual weekly mileage and what are your current race times?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

What's your usual weekly mileage and what are your current race times?

I've been running approximately 50k/week this year. My last race was a 10k in April which I ran in 42.26.

I've been running approximately 50k/week this year. My last race was a 10k in April which I ran in 42.26.

Certainly puts you well in the frame for a 3:30 if you can get the training right.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I’m entering into the third mesocycle of the Pfitzinger plan 18wk / 85mile peak, I’ve never made it this far into an advanced plan before without injury (touches wood). This cycle is speed-focused so I’d like to do it right, and on a track, which I’ve never done before.

I’m not too far from Santry so Morton Stadium seems like the obvious choice, but I'm worried about how busy it might be, I assume it’s heavily used by the clubs in the area because of the *subject to availability.

Are there any non-club runner amateurs that frequent it and can give me some advice?

conti wrote: »
    I’m entering into the third mesocycle of the Pfitzinger plan 18wk / 85mile peak, I’ve never made it this far into an advanced plan before without injury (touches wood). This cycle is speed-focused so I’d like to do it right, and on a track, which I’ve never done before.

I’m not too far from Santry so Morton Stadium seems like the obvious choice, but I'm worried about how busy it might be, I assume it’s heavily used by the clubs in the area because of the *subject to availability.

Are there any non-club runner amateurs that frequent it and can give me some advice?

I’ve used it during the day a couple of times and it’s been empty. Just give them a ring and ask what are the best times for what you need. Irishtown is another option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself before I started posting here......

Currently training for my second marathon.

Ran DCM last year (2018) and finished in 3:57, not without huffing and puffing my way through the last 6 miles (cramp mainly). Even though a sub-4 was my ultimate goal on the day, I had notions before the race of a 3:40, which may have been achievable had I managed the race a little better.
    My race times leading up to DCM were decent enough:
    Great Ireland Run - 43:35
    Irish Runner 10 mile - 1:18:03
    Ratoath Half - 1:37:54

So far this year, I've completed the Boards 6-week base plan twice (either side of the 10k-half marathon plan) during which time I ran the following races:
    Bohermeen Half - 1:36:42
    Dunboyne 5 mile - 34:08
    Docklands 5k - 20:07

Very happy with how training had gone so far and marathon training (Boards Intermediate plan) begins next week. I plan to do a 10k and 10 mile race between now and DCM.

It's really only in the last couple of weeks that I've allowed myself to say out loud that my target time is 3:30. I do feel some apprehension about it and I know it will take time to become comfortable with the idea but it's out there now so that feels like the first hurdle has been cleared....

Looking forward to contributing regularly to the thread and to get a sense of how others are managing their training with the same or similar goals in mind.

Edit: weekly mileage is between 35-40 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

coogy wrote: »
    Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself before I started posting here......

Currently training for my second marathon.

Ran DCM last year (2018) and finished in 3:57, not without huffing and puffing my way through the last 6 miles (cramp mainly). Even though a sub-4 was my ultimate goal on the day, I had notions before the race of a 3:40, which may have been achievable had I managed the race a little better.
    My race times leading up to DCM were decent enough:
    Great Ireland Run - 43:35
    Irish Runner 10 mile - 1:18:03
    Ratoath Half - 1:37:54

So far this year, I've completed the Boards 6-week base plan twice (either side of the 10k-half marathon plan) during which time I ran the following races:
    Bohermeen Half - 1:36:42
    Dunboyne 5 mile - 34:08
    Docklands 5k - 20:07

Very happy with how training had gone so far and marathon training (Boards Intermediate plan) begins next week. I plan to do a 10k and 10 mile race between now and DCM.

It's really only in the last couple of weeks that I've allowed myself to say out loud that my target time is 3:30. I do feel some apprehension about it and I know it will take time to become comfortable with the idea but it's out there now so that feels like the first hurdle has been cleared....

Looking forward to contributing regularly to the thread and to get a sense of how others are managing their training with the same or similar goals in mind.

Edit: weekly mileage is between 35-40 miles.

Great to hear you target 3.30 K, with your times its definitely in reach and the experience of last year will stand to you no end!

Going to follow your lead coogy
    Followed this thread last year and found it very useful - although never posted as I was aiming sub4 last year.
    DCM 2018 time: 3.38.48

Have made a little progress this year - but not as much as I think I would like to make me confident about targeting a 3.30 - but I suppose for now its the training goal I am using in my head and I'll reassess after a HM race.
    Current PBs
    10k: 43.58
    5k: 20.52

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Great to hear you target 3.30 K, with your times its definitely in reach and the experience of last year will stand to you no end!

Going to follow your lead coogy
    Followed this thread last year and found it very useful - although never posted as I was aiming sub4 last year.
    DCM 2018 time: 3.38.48

Have made a little progress this year - but not as much as I think I would like to make me confident about targeting a 3.30 - but I suppose for now its the training goal I am using in my head and I'll reassess after a HM race.
    Current PBs
    10k: 43.58
    5k: 20.52

Thanks G! Your PB's are very similar to mine (your time for last year is what I was actually aiming for on the day) so I'll be following your journey to DCM very closely too. :)

What I've found really useful lately is reading DCM race reports from others who finished in or around 3:30. Some of them are so well written, you get a real sense of exactly what it takes, both physically and mentally.
    Also, Its definitely a psychological boost when others tell you that your goals are achievable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement