Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

28064212 wrote: »
    Too many non-specific pronouns :-)

Rephrased: Say there's a study that says "90% of runners who use the 'flip-flop' style of running will have an increased risk of injury" - that means, in general, it's probably a poor running style. However, for a given specific runner (e.g. silverharp's jogger), that individual may well fall in to the 10%, where this 'bad' running style isn't bad for them (or is possibly even beneficial)

Surely (if the study was real) there’s only a 10% chance that the runner falls into this ‘not bad/possibly beneficial’ category. Or slightly more, given that s/he isn’t injured (yet). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RayCun wrote: »
    chi-running doesn't involve slapping your feet off the ground

cheers, its what a runner at work thought the person might have been doing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

silverharp wrote: »
    cheers, its what a runner at work thought the person might have been doing.

The chi running book was going fine until he got to relaxation after running and there's a picture of him in a hot tub in all his clothes, cap and all.
    Lean at the hips just sounded wrong after that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any other folks here signed up to a marathon in the first half of the year? Hows the training going?

I've just started training for Cork doing the P&D up to 55 mile plan myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

deisedude wrote: »
    Any other folks here signed up to a marathon in the first half of the year? Hows the training going?

Connemarathon train going well, not looking for a time just looking to enjoy it. Iv signed up for Longford in august so targeting that time wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

I'm training for Edinburgh, also with the P&D 55 mile plan. on week 4 of plan at the moment.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Connemarathon train going well, not looking for a time just looking to enjoy it. Iv signed up for Longford in august so targeting that time wise

Have heard Connemara is very scenic. Good few from my club signed up for it. Longford a good one for a time, supposed to be flattish
    mbarr wrote: »
    I'm training for Edinburgh, also with the P&D 55 mile plan. on week 4 of plan at the moment.

How you finding the plan so far? The midweek 10 milers is definitely a step up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

How you finding the plan so far? The midweek 10 milers is definitely a step up for me!

Yeah, I've been used in previous cycles to running more frequently and with more shorter runs, so almost every run being 8+ miles right from the start of the plan is new to me.

In general I've been enjoying it so far, I'm quite fatigued this week but probably a host of factors at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

silverharp wrote: »
    I heard in the meantime that it might be a deliberate running style that is meant to reduce overall impact, even has a name "chirunning"

http://www.irishrunner.ie/a-perfect-balance/
    RayCun wrote: »
    chi-running doesn't involve slapping your feet off the ground

I’ve often noticed runners in vibrams making slappy noises - could the ‘link’ with chi running be based on chi runnings lean towards minimalist shoes?
    Does your mystery runner wear vibrams??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hamburg end of April.

Following the Advanced Marathon book up to 88km plan.

Followed it for Dublin last year. In a lot better nick compared to when I first started following it last summer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

It's been quiet around this thread for a while but I'll chance asking this question re pacing.
    I'm targeting a sub 3.30 DCM, which is 5 min/km pace.
    I'm doing my LSR's at 5 min 30 sec's/km and my easy runs at 5 min and 20 sec's /km.
    I'm not doing any speed work in my program but will include plenty of TMP kilometres in some of my runs.
    What would be the consensus re training at those paces?
    Thanks in advance.

It's been quiet around this thread for a while but I'll chance asking this question re pacing.
    I'm doing my LSR's at 5 min 30 sec's/km and my easy runs at 5 min and 20 sec's /km.
    I'm not doing any speed work in my program but will include plenty of TMP kilometres in some of my runs.
    Thanks in advance.

I’d be looking at 5:40-6:15 as the easy range, including the LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Thanks in advance.
    What's your usual weekly mileage and what are your current race times?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

What's your usual weekly mileage and what are your current race times?

I've been running approximately 50k/week this year. My last race was a 10k in April which I ran in 42.26.

I've been running approximately 50k/week this year. My last race was a 10k in April which I ran in 42.26.

Certainly puts you well in the frame for a 3:30 if you can get the training right.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I’m entering into the third mesocycle of the Pfitzinger plan 18wk / 85mile peak, I’ve never made it this far into an advanced plan before without injury (touches wood). This cycle is speed-focused so I’d like to do it right, and on a track, which I’ve never done before.

I’m not too far from Santry so Morton Stadium seems like the obvious choice, but I'm worried about how busy it might be, I assume it’s heavily used by the clubs in the area because of the *subject to availability.

Are there any non-club runner amateurs that frequent it and can give me some advice?

conti wrote: »
    I’m entering into the third mesocycle of the Pfitzinger plan 18wk / 85mile peak, I’ve never made it this far into an advanced plan before without injury (touches wood). This cycle is speed-focused so I’d like to do it right, and on a track, which I’ve never done before.

I’m not too far from Santry so Morton Stadium seems like the obvious choice, but I'm worried about how busy it might be, I assume it’s heavily used by the clubs in the area because of the *subject to availability.

Are there any non-club runner amateurs that frequent it and can give me some advice?

I’ve used it during the day a couple of times and it’s been empty. Just give them a ring and ask what are the best times for what you need. Irishtown is another option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself before I started posting here......

Currently training for my second marathon.

Ran DCM last year (2018) and finished in 3:57, not without huffing and puffing my way through the last 6 miles (cramp mainly). Even though a sub-4 was my ultimate goal on the day, I had notions before the race of a 3:40, which may have been achievable had I managed the race a little better.
    My race times leading up to DCM were decent enough:
    Great Ireland Run - 43:35
    Irish Runner 10 mile - 1:18:03
    Ratoath Half - 1:37:54

So far this year, I've completed the Boards 6-week base plan twice (either side of the 10k-half marathon plan) during which time I ran the following races:
    Bohermeen Half - 1:36:42
    Dunboyne 5 mile - 34:08
    Docklands 5k - 20:07

Very happy with how training had gone so far and marathon training (Boards Intermediate plan) begins next week. I plan to do a 10k and 10 mile race between now and DCM.

It's really only in the last couple of weeks that I've allowed myself to say out loud that my target time is 3:30. I do feel some apprehension about it and I know it will take time to become comfortable with the idea but it's out there now so that feels like the first hurdle has been cleared....

Looking forward to contributing regularly to the thread and to get a sense of how others are managing their training with the same or similar goals in mind.

Edit: weekly mileage is between 35-40 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

coogy wrote: »
    Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself before I started posting here......

Currently training for my second marathon.

Ran DCM last year (2018) and finished in 3:57, not without huffing and puffing my way through the last 6 miles (cramp mainly). Even though a sub-4 was my ultimate goal on the day, I had notions before the race of a 3:40, which may have been achievable had I managed the race a little better.
    My race times leading up to DCM were decent enough:
    Great Ireland Run - 43:35
    Irish Runner 10 mile - 1:18:03
    Ratoath Half - 1:37:54

So far this year, I've completed the Boards 6-week base plan twice (either side of the 10k-half marathon plan) during which time I ran the following races:
    Bohermeen Half - 1:36:42
    Dunboyne 5 mile - 34:08
    Docklands 5k - 20:07

Very happy with how training had gone so far and marathon training (Boards Intermediate plan) begins next week. I plan to do a 10k and 10 mile race between now and DCM.

It's really only in the last couple of weeks that I've allowed myself to say out loud that my target time is 3:30. I do feel some apprehension about it and I know it will take time to become comfortable with the idea but it's out there now so that feels like the first hurdle has been cleared....

Looking forward to contributing regularly to the thread and to get a sense of how others are managing their training with the same or similar goals in mind.

Edit: weekly mileage is between 35-40 miles.

Great to hear you target 3.30 K, with your times its definitely in reach and the experience of last year will stand to you no end!

Going to follow your lead coogy
    Followed this thread last year and found it very useful - although never posted as I was aiming sub4 last year.
    DCM 2018 time: 3.38.48

Have made a little progress this year - but not as much as I think I would like to make me confident about targeting a 3.30 - but I suppose for now its the training goal I am using in my head and I'll reassess after a HM race.
    Current PBs
    10k: 43.58
    5k: 20.52

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Great to hear you target 3.30 K, with your times its definitely in reach and the experience of last year will stand to you no end!

Going to follow your lead coogy
    Followed this thread last year and found it very useful - although never posted as I was aiming sub4 last year.
    DCM 2018 time: 3.38.48

Have made a little progress this year - but not as much as I think I would like to make me confident about targeting a 3.30 - but I suppose for now its the training goal I am using in my head and I'll reassess after a HM race.
    Current PBs
    10k: 43.58
    5k: 20.52

Thanks G! Your PB's are very similar to mine (your time for last year is what I was actually aiming for on the day) so I'll be following your journey to DCM very closely too. :)

What I've found really useful lately is reading DCM race reports from others who finished in or around 3:30. Some of them are so well written, you get a real sense of exactly what it takes, both physically and mentally.
    Also, Its definitely a psychological boost when others tell you that your goals are achievable.

• Advertisement

Thanks G! Your PB's are very similar to mine (your time for last year is what I was actually aiming for on the day) so I'll be following your journey to DCM very closely too. :)

What I've found really useful lately is reading DCM race reports from others who finished in or around 3:30. Some of them are so well written, you get a real sense of exactly what it takes, both physically and mentally.
    Also, Its definitely a psychological boost when others tell you that your goals are achievable.

Thats a great idea! Will have to do some trawling!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thought I would throw my name on here too. Even though I'm part of the novice group for this years boards DCM, I'm aiming for 3.30 too. Although given my unproven endurance, I'd be happy as well if I suffered along & finish under 3.40.

I'm following the 18 week P&D advanced marathon plan which peaks at 57 miles and I'm about 5 weeks in. Enjoying the miles & the tough MPR runs. Feel a lot stronger since I started it.

Will have a read through this thread to gain some insight into other peoples experiences. My wife has previously ran 3.20 in DCM and is giving me loads of help with my running but the more advice the better.

My PBs so far are
    5k: 20.48
    10 mile: 74.31
    Half: 1.39.45
    25k: 2hrs 5mins
    All got in 2019

Running Charleville half before DCM so hoping that will tell if the 3.30 is realistic or not

Treviso wrote: »
    Thought I would throw my name on here too. Even though I'm part of the novice group for this years boards DCM, I'm aiming for 3.30 too. Although given my unproven endurance, I'd be happy as well if I suffered along & finish under 3.40.

I'm following the 18 week P&D advanced marathon plan which peaks at 57 miles and I'm about 5 weeks in. Enjoying the miles & the tough MPR runs. Feel a lot stronger since I started it.

Will have a read through this thread to gain some insight into other peoples experiences. My wife has previously ran 3.20 in DCM and is giving me loads of help with my running but the more advice the better.

My PBs so far are
    All got in 2019

Running Charleville half before DCM so hoping that will tell if the 3.30 is realistic or not

You've done loads of races this yr! Fair play! I've only managed to get out to two.

I've heard loads about the p&d plan. Sounds like a challenging one. Looking forward to hearing more

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Thats a great idea! Will have to do some trawling!

Meant to ask, what plan will you be following?

Meant to ask, what plan will you be following?

Followed the meno plan last Yr and have decided to do it again. I liked the flexibility in it as I can fit it around my wk. But, I and I'm not sure if this is the wisest move I'm trying to adapt it a little so that it's a little harder again mainly by upping the mileage and adding some MP miles into another run (not the LR) during the week. The first two weeks have gone OK and I'm going to switch around a run ltr so I have another 2 hard wks before a step bk. I'll reassess after that stepback whether to keep going with the additional session or not.

Kinda wish I had done a 10k before setting off on the plan but will def do a half and hopefully a 10m!

How're you finding the grads plan?

Treviso wrote: »

My PBs so far are
    All got in 2019

Word of advice on Charleville from personal experience. Dont get cocky like me if you run a good time and change your goal upwards for DCM. Charleville is probably the fastest HM course in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Word of advice on Charleville from personal experience. Dont get cocky like me if you run a good time and change your goal upwards for DCM. Charleville is probably the fastest HM course in the country

Thanks for the advice, my wife has told me the Charleville course is one of the best HM routes around. So I have been pre warned already! Plus I wouldnt be changing my goal upwards no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'd love to read some of those reports, but not sure how to find them - any in particular to read for a goal sub 3:30? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'd love to read some of those reports, but not sure how to find them - any in particular to read for a goal sub 3:30? Thanks

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057633045/8

My own race report when I broke 3:30 a couple of years back......my own log actually starts off in the midst of training for that DCM. Might be useful to someone :)

• Advertisement

Here’s one of mine if any use:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105132273&postcount=2701

Advertisement