Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^

lots of bakery stalls at the milk market on a sat morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

gg2 wrote: »
    Any recomendations for a really nice bakery? Want to get a delicious cake for my aunts birthday tomorrow and some nice pastries

Zest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Parchment wrote: »
    Zest?

id second this...

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Bit random but the cafe downstairs in Arthur's Quay did my wedding cake. Got a recommendation and they gave a great price. All my guests said they'd never tasted coffee cake like it. Want a slice now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

I went to the new Thai & Japanese restaurant on Bedford Row yesterday night. The food was not bad but there was a lot of room for improvement.
    - each one of us was given a japanese menu, but we got only one Thai menu for the whole table of 4...
    - the beer was a warm 33cl bottle, served in a pint glass (!)
    - I had pumpkin croquettes for starter. They were Ok but quite greasy. I am a fan of the ones they do in Akasaka, which are way better.
    - we waited what seemed like a long time between starter and main
    - the mains were Ok. I had some Thai duck in a coconut sauce, it was good enough, but costed 16 euro! A friend got some chicken served on a hot plate type of thing, but they forgot to put a candle under the plate, so it was cold...

Everybody was very nice to us, and I know they are only starting, but with so many Thai & Japanese places now in Limerick, I fear that they may find it difficult to stay in business. I hope I am wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Heading to La Piccola there Thursday evening, if it's half as good as I remember then this will be a proper treat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

fredo1664 wrote: »
    I went to the new Thai & Japanese restaurant on Bedford Row yesterday night
    What's up with it not having a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I was in Thai and Japanese Saturday it was nice enough. It was empty there was about 6 people in restaurant and its quite big. Saying that it was 10 euro for lunch and it was very nice. I will go again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

What's up with it not having a name?

I believe it's called clover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Went to Russell's on Fr. Russell Rd. last Sunday for lunch as I regularly do.

The menu is very traditional but the roast beef was as good as it gets.

If regular food is your thing, that place is hard to beat imo.

Going there quite a while now and it never disappointed me yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fredo1664 wrote: »
    I went to the new Thai & Japanese restaurant on Bedford Row yesterday night. The food was not bad but there was a lot of room for improvement.
    - each one of us was given a japanese menu, but we got only one Thai menu for the whole table of 4...
    - the beer was a warm 33cl bottle, served in a pint glass (!)
    - I had pumpkin croquettes for starter. They were Ok but quite greasy. I am a fan of the ones they do in Akasaka, which are way better.
    - we waited what seemed like a long time between starter and main
    - the mains were Ok. I had some Thai duck in a coconut sauce, it was good enough, but costed 16 euro! A friend got some chicken served on a hot plate type of thing, but they forgot to put a candle under the plate, so it was cold...

Everybody was very nice to us, and I know they are only starting, but with so many Thai & Japanese places now in Limerick, I fear that they may find it difficult to stay in business. I hope I am wrong!

I was in there recently myself and felt much the same.
    Service was quite poor though, even with making an allowance for it being early days.
    I found the decor to be awful, its like a bastardized 1920's gentleman's club even down to the the velvet/veloured wallpaper.
    It may seem a silly complaint but comfort in my surroundings is a big part of enjoying a meal for me, and the interior of Clover is just too ''busy'' for my liking.

As far as the food goes it was all ''Okay'' we had quite a wide range of dishes and while the food was ok, and in comparison to its local competition both Japanese and Thai its not quite as good.
    I feel it is overpriced(3 starters, 2 mains, a sushi roll and a couple of sides with soft drinks was just under €100)I voiced the same concern about Taikichi when they opened and to be honest their prices are lower!
    My point of comparison for the current slew of japanese places would be the likes of Wa Café in Galway or J2 in Dublin.
    Of the local places Taikichi is the best with Akasaka a close(and very reasonably priced) second and I don't think either have anything to fear from Clover as it stands barring either a massive jump in service and quality to justify their current prices or a price drop to become more price conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Anyone check out the new treasury restaurant ???

Was in there on Friday night and thought it excellent, will def be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peaches894

Aroi on O Connell Street is a wonderful place which is great value. Train all week so a friday trip to Aroi then Gusto D'Italia is my treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

tippman1 wrote: »

If regular food is your thing, that place is hard to beat imo.

Going there quite a while now and it never disappointed me yet.

Try Alfies up the road in Ballycummin, very nice grub. Ribs are to die for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

tippman1 wrote: »

I'm usually there on a Sunday & I agree, their beef is excellent, the curry & gravy & as far as I know their pepper sauce are gluten free so grand for celiacs, best carvery in town IMO

Looking for somewhere to go on Saturday night, anyone been to Sash & what did you think?

Tried Gino's on Henry street. Nice and clean in there. We got a lovely garlic bread with cheese and two kebabs, one veg & one doner.

They either have a different definition of what a kebab is or just didn't have any kebab breads - as what we were given was a wrap : Kebab fillings wrapped in a tortilla wrap. The fillings were tasty - both kebabs were on the small side compared to other kebabs around. If they didn't have kebab breads they should have just said otherwise they need to do some research on what a kebab is normally served in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Tried out that El Toro place on Henry street. Really good food, the pulled pork was awesome. Hopefully business picks up in there though, both times I was in there it was awful quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Ended up at The French Table tonight & very nice it was too, a little under €95.00 for the two of us, three courses, and a coffee each, a glass of wine & a Bacardi & Coke

The food was excellent & service was very pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

We tried out the Sunday Lunch buffet at The Strand Hotel. It was really impressive, with a wonderful array of starters, mains (roast pork, lamb, beef), as well as duck confit, chicken in a mushroom sauce, salmon, roast veg etc etc.... Beautiful desserts from mini lemon meringues to chocolate brownies, fruit tartlets etc, ice cream cart for the kids. Also selection of cheese and fruit, homemade cookies. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a nice venue and good food. Would book in advance though, as it was busy when we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Went to collins last Saturday , food was very good. The picky mother in law even liked it :)

Sunday we went to Bobby Byrnes, I'm not a fan of carvery but their one was very good. Staff were also very attentive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Old Copper & Spice has reopened (or on the verge of reopening) as TAJ.

Thinking of trying this tonight, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mc Love wrote: »

My other half has been in there a few times and spoke highly of it

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

was there also. food and service was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 13 joss201

Cafe Noir - NOM!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Gino's is closed already bit of a shock

bigpink wrote: »

Wow? Really?

Seems to have closed to fast for a place that there was so much effort put into. It looked great inside and the food was good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yeah
    Went in there last night coming home from a funeral in Clare and it was shut up and sign gone off it

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Mc Love wrote: »

Got a delivery on Sunday from Taj, we normally get Spice of India. Madras was mind blowingly hot, but did they did warn us and say their food is hotter than what we'd be used to. Bombay aloo, garlic naan, meat samosa and poppadoms with dips were all delicious. Will definitely order again from there. One thing I will say is that their onion dip is divine. The Mogul used to do something similar years back but stopped. I'd recommend the Taj anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭squonk

bigpink wrote: »

That's a real pity. God it seems they weren't open 5 minutes! Great portions and nice food. I'm amazed! Maybe that part of town is quiet and they just weren't getting the footfall they needed? Sadly their name was spreading and I think they'd have become more and more popular over time. Shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

squonk wrote: »
    That's a real pity. God it seems they weren't open 5 minutes! Great portions and nice food. I'm amazed! Maybe that part of town is quiet and they just weren't getting the footfall they needed? Sadly their name was spreading and I think they'd have become more and more popular over time. Shame

It is a shame but no surprise given the cost of starting up a business here. Without deep pockets it's very difficult for a new business to survive the cash outflows necessary at the start while the business finds its feet. Banks are reluctant to even offer small overdrafts and the cost of employing people when you take into account employers' PRSI is ridiculous.

Advertisement