Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

5unflower wrote: »
    I know that weekend is long over, and you were asking about a place that delivers, but anyone in the Castletroy area should really not rely on having a pizza from the usual places delivered - just call into La Cucina, for one of the nicest pizzas possibly in the whole country :cool:

Expensive was the turn off for dominos. La culinary will not be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

5unflower wrote: »
    I know that weekend is long over, and you were asking about a place that delivers, but anyone in the Castletroy area should really not rely on having a pizza from the usual places delivered - just call into La Cucina, for one of the nicest pizzas possibly in the whole country :cool:

La Cucina - the nicest pizza in the country? I really dont think so. Last time we went there my pizza was so soggy all the toppings fell off the slice as i picked it up. We never went back - a dominos pizza is far superior. That place is all Twitter hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Parchment wrote: »
    La Cucina - the nicest pizza in the country? I really dont think so. Last time we went there my pizza was so soggy all the toppings fell off the slice as i picked it up. We never went back - a dominos pizza is far superior. That place is all Twitter hype.

If I were looking for that sort of pizza, I'd probably go to Four Star over Dominos.

Wasnt overly impressed with La Cucina. Same problem with mine actually.. very soggy.

But I crave Casa Nostra at least twice a month though!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

True that, Lorraine seems to know very well how to use all the various social media channels ...
    But I'm surprised that you found the pizza soggy, the reason I really prefer it there is because the base is usually so thin and crispy and the toppings are much nicer than the greasy, dripping, meaty toppings in the usual pizza joints. Which doesn't mean I don't go for the lazy delivery option from Dominos myself sometimes ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My parents went to one pery at the weekend and said they'd never go back. Cold starter that was meant to be warm, cold main which was potentially dangerous to eat, and food wasn't cooked fresh. Potatoes were cooked earlier and reheated.
    Maitre'd offered a voucher but parents didn't want it as they wouldn't be going back, so he gave them 50 euro back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I haven't tried the pizza but I was there last weekend and I must admit it did look good. Similar to the ones you find in Naples.

Myself and the gf had ciabatta and focaccia sandwiches which were delicious, as good as what you'l get outside Italy. Will def be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

miralize wrote: »
    But I crave Casa Nostra at least twice a month though!

is that place closed??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

fryup wrote: »
    is that place closed??

Yes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The French table is indeed a fine spot to eat in, excellent service in particular.
    The Treasury got a glowing review in this months Food and Wine mag, haven't had a chance to eat there yet but I'm looking forward to it.

The new chipper/pizza place on Henry street (Gino's) is fairly decent, we had chips, pizza, lasagne and southern fried chicken from there last week, all were good, chips as good as anywhere in town, pizza was good, nice thin base, good cheese and sauce. The lasagne was actually gorgeous. Chicken was good as well, retained it's juiciness and had a lovely coating. I hope it stays open as I live quite close by and it's always handy to have a decent takeaway on your doorstep for those lazy evenings.

Just after getting chips and a cheese hot dog from Gino's. Very nice, will be going again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭squonk

I tried out El Toro last night. I ended up being disappointed. I ordered the combo platter just to get a bit of a cross the board picture of what they were offering. I went with Pulled Pork, BBQ Suasage and Baby back Ribs. I went with beans and fries for my sides. I thought the Pulled Pork was the best part of the meal not withstanding the chips. It was nicely cooked pork though, not really what I'd expect from pulled pork where the marinade flavours the meat. What's worse it didn't really come asuced. Generally when I make pulled pork I'll heat it in a pan before serving and add some BBQ sauce just to get the flavours going. It's not bad overall though.

The ribs were a disapointment. I got the impression they're buying in slabs of premarinated ribs that you reheat and then cover them in sauce. That's pretty wrong and while the ribs are fall off the bone tender they're nothing I couldn't get from buying a pack in Dunnes and cooking them at home. They are a little more substantial than those packs it must be said but I feel the principle is the same.

The sausage was just unpleasant. It just tasted like a regular jumbo sausage and I didn't get any sense there was anything particularly BBQ-esque about it. The texture was what I found unpleasant. It really just didn't float my boat.

The beans were very, very disappointing. All they are is regular beans with some pulled pork added. No bbq sauce was even added. Quite bland and disappointing.

The chips were excellent though. They were very nice and included some scraps down the end of the cup in which they were served. I'd have loved a dip for them though and it might be nice if they covered them in salt, paprika and some cumin. They do served Brewdog beer though which is one of the high points.

All in all there was no depth to the flavours. The food is a bit like the culinary equivalent of Westlife. It looks like BBQ but when you really get into it everything is so inoffensive that you won't be sending anything back but you won't be going back either. Anyone who has had good BBQ or who's had a go at making their own pulled pork or ribs will be disappointed I think. When I got home I wondered if I was being a bit harsh but once I uncorked my bottle of liquid smoke I knew I wasn't! BBQ is supposed to be about big flavours and some heat and sweetness. There was none of this. If you have the time, grab a slab of ribs and some good BBQ sauce and cook them up and I guarantee you'll do far better. That's really my test for a restaurant. Can I get the food better than what I'd have at home and I can say, in this case, that's a definite NO.

On a final note, the service was quick and the girl on duty was friendlya nd efficient.

• Advertisement

Good review there squonk and that would reflect my initial thoughts about the place when I posted here shortly after it opened, strangely enough though the biggest disappointment of my visit was the "chips" which you rated as your high point, mine were limp and had come from a bag, similar but even worse than what you'd get from Supermacs.
    I completely agree about what you said about cooking restaurant style meals at home, when a place is solely marketing itself as a barbeque joint of which there are an abundance of top quality joints in the UK, USA and even a few in Dublin then I expect better than what I can produce with cheap ingredients from my oven and frying pan at home. It is for this reason that I will very rarely order a steak from a restaurant, I can cook my own steak perfectly to my liking at home and do a quick béarnaise or pepper sauce to at least the quality of the majority of steakhouses.
    I will admit again though that the burger I got from El Toro was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the sweet potato chips in el toro are nice

Passed Ginos today - looked nice. Might try it soon - seems to be getting good reviews here too!

Has anyone tried the new place that has opened in Kennedy O'Briens?

Passed Ginos today - looked nice. Might try it soon - seems to be getting good reviews here too!

Has anyone tried the new place that has opened in Kennedy O'Briens?

Actually I tried it last night, bog standard Indian, that's not a bad thing though. Kids had a lovely korma, we had a fine lamb madras and sag aloo. Samosa and spring roll starter was fine also

Actually I tried it last night, bog standard Indian, that's not a bad thing though. Kids had a lovely korma, we had a fine lamb madras and sag aloo. Samosa and spring roll starter was fine also

I wondered was it opened by the same people who used to have the AMAZING Southern Indian place over the Glen Tavern a few years ago - but doesnt sound like it. A pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Where is the best place fro breakfast?

Bobby Byrnes is good, just wondering what everyone else thinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I wondered was it opened by the same people who used to have the AMAZING Southern Indian place over the Glen Tavern a few years ago - but doesnt sound like it. A pity!

Miss that place. The Dosas were amazing.

vkid wrote: »
    Miss that place. The Dosas were amazing.

They were - everything i had there was amazing. It was a great place with a varied menu. There were always lots of Indian families there dining - a good sign. I actually spoke to an Indian lady who has been living in limerick for years and she said she even missed that place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 df123

Looking for a place that does belgium waffles or pancakes for breakfast? Preferably in the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

df123 wrote: »
    Looking for a place that does belgium waffles or pancakes for breakfast? Preferably in the city centre!

What about Caffe Waffe in Mallow street? I think they do waffles (or they did about two years ago when I was last there).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

df123 wrote: »

Try Café Waffe on Mallow Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

They were - everything i had there was amazing. It was a great place with a varied menu. There were always lots of Indian families there dining - a good sign. I actually spoke to an Indian lady who has been living in limerick for years and she said she even missed that place!

Was an Indian colleague who introduced me to the place as well. They had a restaurant in Dublin too, but think that is gone now too. Pity, food was not your average Indian fare. The spring roll dosa...nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Passed by Ginos on Henry Street. No opening times up and nothing online. Maybe I'm missing something but half five is late enough to be opening, especially so close to a college.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Where would you get the best burger in Limerick?

Passed by Ginos on Henry Street. No opening times up and nothing online. Maybe I'm missing something but half five is late enough to be opening, especially so close to a college.

I was there last night, around 8. Said I'd give it a shot seeing as I don't live too far away and from what I'd read on here.

Kept it simple and ordered chips, 1/4 pounder & battered sausage. Portions were massive and the food was really tasty. Don't go to chippers too often but will def be back again - maybe for a smaller order this time around!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Tim76 wrote: »
    I was there last night, around 8. Said I'd give it a shot seeing as I don't live too far away and from what I'd read on here.

Kept it simple and ordered chips, 1/4 pounder & battered sausage. Portions were massive and the food was really tasty. Don't go to chippers too often but will def be back again - maybe for a smaller order this time around!:o

How does it stack price wise?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

It's 2.50 for a bag of chips anyway, not as cheap as Rio's but other places are pricier I think.

Had lunch in Bella Italia. I'm still not mad on it, nothing wrong with the food, just nothing special, and a little pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

An File wrote: »
    Try Café Waffe on Mallow Street.

For years I thought it was called Café Waffle and just assumed they did waffles based on the name. I was a shocked when someone pointed it out to me. :eek:

Think it was around the €8.20 mark. Add another burger and it was def a meal for two.

Chips - €2.50
    Cheese QP - €4.20
    Bat. Sausage - €1.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Any recomendations for a really nice bakery? Want to get a delicious cake for my aunts birthday tomorrow and some nice pastries

Advertisement