Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its probably been mentioned on here before but Papa Gino's - best pizza in Limerick, been twice in the past week and it is simply amazing. Gino is a great guy too, gave me money off my last order because it was only my second time. I'd rather my money go to local food suppliers than to Papa Johns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Has anyone tried Zannat yet?

I ate there shortly after it opened, staff were very nice and the food was bog standard indian fare, it was however significantly hotter than other local joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its probably been mentioned on here before but Papa Gino's - best pizza in Limerick, been twice in the past week and it is simply amazing. Gino is a great guy too, gave me money off my last order because it was only my second time. I'd rather my money go to local food suppliers than to Papa Johns etc.

That place looks so grotty, i could not imagine eating from there.

Parchment wrote: »
    That place looks so grotty, i could not imagine eating from there.

You've broken the cardinal rule of this forum, never criticise Papa Gino's, you're for it now!!:eek:

I ate from there once about 7 or 8 years ago and I never felt the urge to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

You've broken the cardinal rule of this forum, never criticise Papa Gino's, you're for it now!!:eek:

I ate from there once about 7 or 8 years ago and I never felt the urge to go back.
    I ate there last about 25 years ago. I remember thinking it was amazing then.

• Advertisement

I ate there last about 25 years ago. I remember thinking it was amazing then.

I didn't think Pizza had been invented in Ireland 25 years ago:P
    I think it was somewhere between crispy pancakes and spring rolls that it first made an appearance.

So finally got some food in there last weekend for takeaway. Poppadums and free coke at the bar while we waited. Owner was very friendly (bit too friendly but then again I'm a bit of an autist).

We ordered my usual choice (madras) and she had "curry" on his recommendation. Told him to make it a hot madras.

Anyway, the food was great! Madras was hot but not just chilli hot. Mustard seeds, black pepper and cardamom. The "curry" was nice too apparently although she likes it not so spicy.

We both agreed the food seemed very fresh and didn't seem reheated like a lot of places. Also the owners appear to be an actual Indian family.

Will be back!

I didn't think Pizza had been invented in Ireland 25 years ago:P
    I think it was somewhere between crispy pancakes and spring rolls that it first made an appearance.
    Papa Ginos was there mark my words!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Ah as a child of the early 80's there was a pizza takeaway in Limerick, before Gino's. It was called The Pizza Hut, on Patrick Street, where Pat Graces originally was. I can still remember the pizza now...all the toppings were finely chopped...and tons of them, on a soggy, steamed pizza base...probably before proper pizza ovens made it to Limerick....still nice though, and a treat back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

Ah as a child of the early 80's there was a pizza takeaway in Limerick, before Gino's. It was called The Pizza Hut, on Patrick Street, where Pat Graces originally was. I can still remember the pizza now...all the toppings were finely chopped...and tons of them, on a soggy, steamed pizza base...probably before proper pizza ovens made it to Limerick....still nice though, and a treat back then.

I remember it well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah yes the Pizza Hut, our first experience of the "exotic" foreign food

i remember the first pizza we got was mank...we gave it to the dog but even he wouldn't eat it and he would eat anything :P

btw - are you sure it wasn't called The Pizza Cabin??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thought I'd throw it out here..

I had by far the best fish & chips I've ever had in Bobby's Byrnes pub, and shamefully for a Dublin man I washed it down with a few pints of lovely Beamish.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

fryup wrote: »
    ah yes the Pizza Hut, our first experience of the "exotic" foreign food

i remember the first pizza we got was mank...we gave it to the dog but even he wouldn't eat it and he would eat anything :P

btw - are you sure it wasn't called The Pizza Cabin??

Yes, you are right it was The Pizza Cabin...not Hut. Exotic food indeed! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Thought I'd throw it out here..

I had by far the best fish & chips I've ever had in Bobby's Byrnes pub, and shamefully for a Dublin man I washed it down with a few pints of lovely Beamish.

I have had the burger in there and it was "fine", wife had chicken goujons and i do remember the batter being very very good so i imagine the fish would be similar.

Bobby's do very good food alright, even the deli there serves good quality grub, you very rarely see the dried out rashers, sausage rolls and jambons that seem to be the norm everywhere else. They do a fantastic take away sunday lunch with a very good choice of meats to go with the veg etc, same as what they serve in the bar.
    Limerick is quite well served for pub grub, nothing terribly exciting but good quality simple food, besides Bobby's my top spots in this category are Collins in Dooradoyle and Russells in Raheen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭sioda

Best pub grub imo is the curraghower

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

sioda wrote: »
    Best pub grub imo is the curraghower

+1

I've heard very good reports of the Curragower but on both occasions I ate from there I was left disappointed, most recently I had the fish and chips and it was below average, my wife had a fish pie which I would have been disappointed to get from a decent home cook. The menu is quite boring also in relation to some other gastropubs, particularly Collins's.
    Is the Curragower a forum darling like Papa Ginos and Ivan's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Grand spot for a beer but Curragower food was average enough last couple of times I was there, wouldn't go back for the food

Currahgower does a nice salad with goats cheese and black pudding. I think the menu is too small though. I don't want to keep going back just to eat the same thing.

If I'm going to eat in a pub its to have a nice sunday roast. You can't beat Finnegan's out by the Newport Roundabout for that.

What going on with the former Quin's building? Was there not rumour on here that Wetherspoons are coming to Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Grand spot for a beer but Curragower food was average enough last couple of times I was there, wouldn't go back for the food

the toilets in there are mank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The seafood chowder in the Curraghower is the best in the city, and in my experience the food has been very good. Also, for what it's worth, it's a hell of a lot nicer setting than the likes of Collins or Russells.

As for Ivans, I bought a rhubarb crumble there yesterday and it was pure muck. Nothing like the home cooked stuff you'd get from the old Ivan's. They won't last long if that's the standard they're serving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ginger lillies on mulgrave street christ above..... Got it the other night worst Chinese I've ever tasted got a chicken curry with no vegetables and fried rice, the chicken looked cooked but wasn't cooked on the inside and the rice looked like it was poured straight from uncle bens box as in not even cooked manky it was :-(

Anyway can anyone recommend a good pizza place sick of the usual apache,papa John's crap

zulutango wrote: »
    The seafood chowder in the Curraghower is the best in the city, and in my experience the food has been very good. Also, for what it's worth, it's a hell of a lot nicer setting than the likes of Collins or Russells.

As for Ivans, I bought a rhubarb crumble there yesterday and it was pure muck. Nothing like the home cooked stuff you'd get from the old Ivan's. They won't last long if that's the standard they're serving up.

I have heard that the chowder is good, I probably should have tried it but it is always more of a lunch than a dinner for me and far too heavy to have as a starter in my opinion. I can only give my own experience on the other things that I did have which as I said were average at best.
    I take your point re the location but to me that is only an issue as regards having a few pints or whatever, I have and never will drink a pint in Collins or Russells, completely soul-less pubs in my opinion. When it comes to food though I will eat in an industrial estate if the grub is good and the pub itself is comfortable.
    I have not heard one positive thing about the new Ivans, in fact I've heard a few horror stories

I have heard that the chowder is good, I probably should have tried it but it is always more of a lunch than a dinner for me and far too heavy to have as a starter in my opinion. I can only give my own experience on the other things that I did have which as I said were average at best.
    I take your point re the location but to me that is only an issue as regards having a few pints or whatever, I have and never will drink a pint in Collins or Russells, completely soul-less pubs in my opinion. When it comes to food though I will eat in an industrial estate if the grub is good and the pub itself is comfortable.
    I have not heard one positive thing about the new Ivans, in fact I've heard a few horror stories
    I can confirm the chowder is goood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Ginger lillies on mulgrave street christ above..... Got it the other night worst Chinese I've ever tasted got a chicken curry with no vegetables and fried rice, the chicken looked cooked but wasn't cooked on the inside and the rice looked like it was poured straight from uncle bens box as in not even cooked manky it was :-(

Anyway can anyone recommend a good pizza place sick of the usual apache,papa John's crap

That sounds dangerous so should be reported to whoever inspects these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭moby2101

Best Pub grub imo is O Connells in Newtown, great steaks and salads and nice atmosphere. We've been going there since a friend tipped us off a few years ago and it's always been top notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Got a takeaway from Taikichi last night. Really tasty. I think this is the best place in Limerick for a takeaway - its always fresh, good portions, nice staff and fair prices.

I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good pizza place, try papa ginos on Denmark st!

• Advertisement

Parchment wrote: »
    Got a takeaway from Taikichi last night. Really tasty. I think this is the best place in Limerick for a takeaway - its always fresh, good portions, nice staff and fair prices.

I love it!

Taikichi is an absolute jewel in the Limerick restaurant/takeaway scene. It is right up there with the best Asian restaurants in the country in my opinion and fairly considerable experience. The curry they use for the Katsu and beef stew curries is the best I have ever had, their sushi and sashimi are excellent and those lunchtime bento boxes are the best value you'll get anywhere in town.
    I've said it on these pages before but I'll say it again, we have lucked out big time in the last couple of years with Taikichi, Kaya and Aroi, these places alone are enough for me to say that Limerick city centre can be a decent spot again

Advertisement