Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

Had a lovely meal in The Hamptons recently. Food was gorgeous and service was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Anyone check out the new treasury restaurant ???

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Where is The Treasury restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Where is The Treasury restaurant

It's where the Market Square Brasserie used to be at the corner of O'Connell St and Hartstonge St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

so who does the best crispy chili chicken chinese takeout? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

seachto7 wrote: »

Chinese palace in Roxboro do a decent shredded smoked chicken that is something like what you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

What take away around the castletroy area would you be able to get the largest amount of food from for a cheap price. The type of food doesn't matter I'll eat anything as long as its good value for money :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

seachto7 wrote: »

Best I've had in ages is from peony court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What take away around the castletroy area would you be able to get the largest amount of food from for a cheap price. The type of food doesn't matter I'll eat anything as long as its good value for money :p

Turkuaz tbh. Although you'd probably need 2 people to get the €10 delivery.

Any size pizza, chips & 2 drinks for €9.99. I'd be impressed if you could eat a 16-inch pizza on your own, half of one + chips is more than enough for anyone I've seen.

EDIT- Sorry, it's not in the Castletroy area although they do deliver.

A few of the Chineses do an all-you-can eat buffet as far as I know. Jumbo and Chung, I think, both do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in the Japanese Restaurant on O'Connell St recently and would rate it highly. Great food & service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

phog wrote: »
    I was in the Japanese Restaurant on O'Connell St recently and would rate it highly. Great food & service.

Yes, i really like that place, thought i've had takeaway only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Anybody heard anything about El Toro, opened yesterday. I might pop in over the weekend if I hear it's worth it.

There's work going on in the takeaway on Henry street (Hot Spot most recently), anybody know whats going in there, it'd be the most local takeaway to my home but it's always been brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Old Copper & Spice has reopened (or on the verge of reopening) as TAJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

phog wrote: »

Have to agree. I was in limerick last month and with no where open at 9pm on a Wednesday we went it

Food was fantastic. Good sized portions and good service.
    I'll go again next time I'm in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Old Copper & Spice has reopened (or on the verge of reopening) as TAJ.

I went there last week, it was gorgeous. Big portions, and so tasty. They do take away too.

That El Toro BBQ place on Henry Street looks class. Saw a few pictures on my facebook feed, and the food looked really good. Menu seems right down my street though.....

Anyone been?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That El Toro BBQ place on Henry Street looks class. Saw a few pictures on my facebook feed, and the food looked really good. Menu seems right down my street though.....

Anyone been?

Ya, honestly it's nothing special unfortunately. Burger was quite good, ribs were disappointing, chicken fine but boring. Chips were absolutely shocking, coleslaw like from a tin,

Ya, honestly it's nothing special unfortunately. Burger was quite good, ribs were disappointing, chicken fine but boring. Chips were absolutely shocking, coleslaw like from a tin,

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

Would have to disagree, was pleasantly surprised with it. Didn't have high expectations. Thought ribs and chicken were good, pork was ok. Barbecue sauce was nice. Sweet potato chips were tasty, but the burnt-end beans were outstanding.

Would have to disagree, was pleasantly surprised with it. Didn't have high expectations. Thought ribs and chicken were good, pork was ok. Barbecue sauce was nice. Sweet potato chips were tasty, but the burnt-end beans were outstanding.

I had very high hopes for this place and I was honestly disappointed but not so much that I will never go back. It's grand but that's it. The chicken was just roast chicken reheated on the hot plate, same as you'd get in any greasy spoon anywhere. The ribs were quite dry but were smothered in sauce. I didn't taste the pulled pork so I can't comment. The sweet potato chips were fine. The beans were fine but far from outstanding.
    But as I said in the last post I was disgusted with the chips, frozen chips that weren't even reheated properly.
    I've eaten great barbeque food in the past and this was not even in the same ballpark. Hopefully they'll up their game and I'll try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭squonk

That's so disappointing. They spent so long getting the place together I was expecting something a bit more special. I'm a realist. I know we're not in Texas or any other part of the US where you can set up outdoor smokers and do all the things that need to be done for really great BBQ but I've had pretty good BBQ in London so it's definitely possible. It sounds like a BBQ place for people who don't realy know BBQ and a step up/slight variation on the traditional chinese BBQ ribs kind of scene. That sounds like such a pity and a missed opportunity. What are the prices like?

squonk wrote: »
    That's so disappointing. They spent so long getting the place together I was expecting something a bit more special. I'm a realist. I know we're not in Texas or any other part of the US where you can set up outdoor smokers and do all the things that need to be done for really great BBQ but I've had pretty good BBQ in London so it's definitely possible. It sounds like a BBQ place for people who don't realy know BBQ and a step up/slight variation on the traditional chinese BBQ ribs kind of scene. That sounds like such a pity and a missed opportunity. What are the prices like?

Sometimes it takes a while for a restaurant to hit their groove. Not that I've been yet... tbh I imagine I'll be satisfied by this place, it sounds like exactly the kind of food I like.

Prices, taken from their facebook page:

1470014_1559634547606098_8631673746027854101_n.jpg?oh=02c81f442bcd00418b071097f9a919d4&oe=5546660F&__gda__=1430611667_b0fa9c0e03089a81b9d8d874e2c2a41a

10151827_1558570987712454_7530716410168883426_n.jpg?oh=423ac332dd5d1a16bf6f0adec912a456&oe=5517F381

Standard-ish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

looking to take my girlfriend out for dinner new years eve

of the three im most familiar with

cornstore = dont care for the look of the place but food is very nice

fredies bistro = expensive but very nice

hamptons = went there a few months ago and it was a huge let down

anyone know of anywhere else which is well regarded in town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

I'd generally agree with your views on those restaurants , I find Hamptons has improved tho'

Try the Treasury restaurant, it's where the Market Square Brasserie used to be across from South's. Pub..
    We had dinner here a few weeks ago it was really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Does anyone know if Subway accept debit cards?

Does anyone know if Subway accept debit cards?

The one in dooradoyle does so I'd imagine they all do

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Fed four of us with this, last week, I will definitely order from them again, they had great chips, the pizza was delicious, everything was very good quality, especially taking the price into account. Everyone else agreed too! There was even a free garlic dip included! Choose Maliks!

9a2c525ce6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Rene Cusack's have opened a fish & chip shop at the milk market. Went there last night and can honestly say they do the best fish in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ate in JP last night and it was very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Jp the best but standards at buffet had slipped recently I thought

Advertisement