Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Went for a meal in Hamptons last night! Have to say I think it has improved in the last year! Found it great value, €27 for a 3 course is fantastic, I think CornStore is €35!
    They menu has a great choice and the food is well cooked! Only issue I had was they seemed to turn on the A/C around 10 o'clock and the restaurant got very cold! I think this is a tactic places use to get people to move on!
    Besides this though it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

I have heard that the chowder is good, I probably should have tried it but it is always more of a lunch than a dinner for me and far too heavy to have as a starter in my opinion. I can only give my own experience on the other things that I did have which as I said were average at best.
    I take your point re the location but to me that is only an issue as regards having a few pints or whatever, I have and never will drink a pint in Collins or Russells, completely soul-less pubs in my opinion. When it comes to food though I will eat in an industrial estate if the grub is good and the pub itself is comfortable.
    I have not heard one positive thing about the new Ivans, in fact I've heard a few horror stories

I'm a bit biased because it's my local but I think Alfie's in Ballycummin deserves an honourable mention in terms of places for pub grub. It has a bit of character as well for a pub that was newly renovated (and relatively newly built).

I'm a big fan of the Curragower as well and have never been disappointed with either the food or the service.

Hearing the same about Ivan's which is unfortunate but hopefully just teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Waggaboo wrote: »
    I'm a bit biased because it's my local but I think Alfie's in Ballycummin deserves an honourable mention in terms of places for pub grub. It has a bit of character as well for a pub that was newly renovated (and relatively newly built).

I'm a big fan of the Curragower as well and have never been disappointed with either the food or the service.

Hearing the same about Ivan's which is unfortunate but hopefully just teething problems.

I've not eaten there for a good few years, was it Clohessys at one time? I'll give it a shot sometime, thanks!
    Were all those suburban identikit pubs built at the same time (Scotts, Russells, Synotts, Collins, Clohessys, why do I feel like including Smyths?), I've always found them to be miserable places to have a drink, as I said they seem completely soulless. however they all seem to do decent food, funnily enough I live close enough to Scotts to walk there but I haven't eaten out of it in years, am I missing anything??
    I've made my feelings about the Curragower clear I think, it seems like a lovely pub and the staff were very good when I was in but the food is only average.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

funnily enough I live close enough to Scotts to walk there but I haven't eaten out of it in years, am I missing anything??

Me too, snap! :p
    and no, you're not missing anything special, it's grand pub grub, but that's it. There used to be a chinese restaurant upstairs that was actually really good value, and pretty good food as well, but it closed a good few years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

I can see just about see scotts from my front garden, haven't even stepped foot in there in years.

Bobby Byrnes does some decent food once they put the carvery away. The evening menu in there is top notch.

• Advertisement

I hate generic Chinese food and the peony court bangs the stuff out at a rate of knots, I was taken there last night (against my will:p) by the wife and kids.
    We went for the buffet, 15 per adult, 7.50 for the kids, under 3s are free. I was pleasantly surprised, everything was mediocre but quite good by Chinese standards, there was a great choice, starters alone included spring rolls(duck), ribs, crispy won tons, salt, chili and pepper prawns, very good Meat sung (definitely the highlight). Selection of mains was huge and the dessert I took (some type of raspberry cake) wasn't that bad.
    I won't be going back of my own free will but if you like Chinese food and you are hungry I'm certain you could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I live close enough to Scotts to walk there but I haven't eaten out of it in years, am I missing anything??

It's closed now, so you wont be missing anything.

I live across the road but rarely ventured in. It was fine for food but as a pub - dull and soulless. Customer service was very hit and miss.

Not surprised in the slightest it's closed. There used to be a shop there before as well (vivo?), well that's the whole block closed down apart from Four Star Pizza and the dentist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Been to Kaya lately, absolutely loved it, will be going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Girlfriend met some friends for lunch today in Ivan's! She said never again! It was horrible! Couldn't even finish a bowl of soup, cappuccino was a cup of milk and she had a sandwich aswell which wasn't great!
    It's a shame really, it has great potential!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Was in Freddy's Bistro last night for the early bird, three courses each, two bacardi & coke & a prosecco came to €82, food is great in there, staff are friendly, pretty much faultless, would have had a coffee but stomach was at breaking point, best in Limerick imo from both a food quality & value point of view

Went there last weekend.The food was fine if on the pricey side but found it very hard to relax with the staff hovering to snatch away your cutlery/plates the second you finish:felt like we were being timed.When we were leaving and I paid the woman who I took to be the owner/manageress there was barely a word of thanks from her,she just seemed to want to get rid of us as quickly as possible. Won't be returning for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

darkdubh wrote: »
    Went there last weekend.The food was fine if on the pricey side but found it very hard to relax with the staff hovering to snatch away your cutlery/plates the second you finish:felt like we were being timed.When we were leaving and I paid the woman who I took to be the owner/manageress there was barely a word of thanks from her,she just seemed to want to get rid of us as quickly as possible.Won't be returning for sure.

Have always had mixed view on that place for similar reasons. Its a bit like the Texas steakout imo..you either love it or you don't

vkid wrote: »
    Have always had mixed view on that place for similar reasons. Its a bit like the Texas steakout imo..you either love it or you don't

I haven't been to Freddies in a few years but somehow I'd say they'd be fairly annoyed to find themselves in the same sentence as the Texas Steak-out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

I haven't been to Freddies in a few years but somehow I'd say they'd be fairly annoyed to find themselves in the same sentence as the Texas Steak-out

Neither are consistently good, used to take clients to both but they were great one week and really average the next.i haven't been to either this year, end up going back to the ol reliables Cornstore,Hamptons.....

moby2101 wrote: »
    Neither are consistently good, used to take clients to both but they were great one week and really average the next.i haven't been to either this year, end up going back to the ol reliables Cornstore,Hamptons.....

I'll admit I haven't been in a while but any time I was in the Steakout it ranged from being absolutely terrible (poor quality steak not cooked how I asked, chips that seemed to be reheated etc) to perfectly acceptable if overpriced. With the plethora of new and mostly quite good eateries around town I find it hard to believe they are currently expanding. Is it a case that some people just go to the steak restaurant continuously because they aren't adventurous enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Anyone any idea what brimstone is like? I'm supposed to be going for a meal on Saturday night and I was wondering what it's like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Where is the Texas expanding too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ended up in Amber after the Locke bar was packed and must say a great find.
    3 courses for 19 half roast duck was nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

bigpink wrote: »
    Ended up in Amber after the Locke bar was packed and must say a great find.
    3 courses for 19 half roast duck was nom

Interesting - for some reason i have been avoiding that place due to where it is. There have been so many places there that i feel like there has to be something wrong with this one!

Had a quick dinner in the locke the other night - food was ok, service was good. Requested an extra slice of bread - they gave me three then charged me 1.50 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Head a great meal in Freddy's tonight.

Had the ribs to start, fantastic flavour and the meat fell off the bone. Had the burger for my main again loads of flavour and the chips were amazing. Apple and blackberry crumble for dessert.

It was my first time there and with the reviews on here over the last few days was a bit worried, but will definitely be returning. We weren't rushed, the only issue was one waitress plonking sugar and milk into our table unannounced. Apart from that I couldn't fault the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Just wanted to put a good word in for Amber also. Lovely food great value and great location if you fancy drink at the Locke afters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've been to Amber and would recommend it too.

Been to Clover and was disappointed with my selection, the service and price of wine. My wife had a dish in Clover that she's also had in Taikichi and would rate Taikichi higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭phog

Anyone any idea what brimstone is like? I'm supposed to be going for a meal on Saturday night and I was wondering what it's like

I haven't been there but I've heard mixed views from there recently.

A group from work went there recently, a few had rib eye steak and were less than impressed with it. Their complaints fell on deaf ears.

A guy I know brought a group there recently and they couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    Where is the Texas expanding too?

Into the cellar next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Can anybody confirm if the 'Seven Years A Slave' story which broke yesterday relates to the Poppadoms we have in Limerick?

I am a regular customer but won't be going there again if they are the same crowd implicated in the story.

Here's the story for anybody who hasn't come across it yet - http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/06/25/seven-years-a-slave/

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Edit made a mistake

Same company alright, that story did the rounds about 5 years ago and they've managed to stay open. In the light of the story it seems strange to say that while the food in Poppadum's was never that great I have been impressed with the customer service on the few occasions I've been in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

zulutango wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if the 'Seven Years A Slave' story which broke yesterday relates to the Poppadoms we have in Limerick?

I am a regular customer but won't be going there again if they are the same crowd implicated in the story.

Here's the story for anybody who hasn't come across it yet - http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/06/25/seven-years-a-slave/

Very unclear from news stories, eg : http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/new-ireland-poster-boys-fall-from-grace-26771388.html , which indicates only Sligo and Newlands cross branches remain of the chain.

BUT this Limerick council property PDF lists Amjad Hussein as the occupier of a unit that seems to correspond to poppadom Limerick:
    AMJAD HUSSEIN FLOOR 0, C2 CORNMARKET SQUARE, LIMERICK. RETAIL (SHOPS)RESTAURANT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Anyone have the phone number for the chipper in Pallasgreen? Google hasn't helped. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Had a burrito from Bad Ass - it was pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Quite expensive and the food is very, very average. Nothing special at all.

Advertisement