Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruining a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

cena wrote: »
    OP here. Can you send me the link to the reddit page

I think this was it: https://amp.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/nbaar5/those_who_have_been_to_a_ruined_wedding_what/

That site's a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

That very poor form on their part. So they’d accepted?

Over the course of a year people opted out, citing busy work or family reasons.

Some people just told her straight what they really thought of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

saabsaab wrote: »
    I've heard of a case some years back where two weddings were ruined where both Bride and Groom walked out on their wedding day. The other Bride and Groom were left at the Altars so to speak.

The Bride and Groom that left their weddings married each other!

That reminded me of Shania Twain whose best friend`s husband told her that his wife was banging Twain`s then husband.
    Both couples split up and Twain later married the ex-best friend`s husband.

Now there is a lad that traded up if I ever saw one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

charlie14 wrote: »
    That reminded me of Shania Twain whose best friend`s husband told her that his wife was banging Twain`s then husband.

I bet that didn't impress her much.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Recliner

That's exactly the situation my sister is in. She hasn't married him but her ex did marry. They have since split up, but my sister is very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I am guessing the Reddit thing was written by someone that read this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I bet that didn't impress her much.

But man, did she feel like a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭josip

cazzer22 wrote: »

What made you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭saabsaab

josip wrote: »
    What made you say that?

'Don't be stupid'

cazzer22 wrote: »

Initially I imagine she felt more like strangling a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Initially I imagine she felt more like strangling a woman.
    josip wrote: »
    What made you say that?

I guess that Shania Twain lyrics don't carry the same cultural currency as they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I guess that Shania Twain lyrics don't carry the same cultural currency as they used to.

sad days indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There is a god after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

saabsaab wrote: »
    'Don't be stupid'

Hahaha YES. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Isn't it ironic, dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Enough with Shania references - we need to get back to the ruined weddings!

Let's go, boardsies

(na-na-nanana-nah-nah)

There is a god after all!

She can sing Rock-a-Bye-Baby in my ear in Shawhili anytime and I would be a happy little puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Enough with Shania references - we need to get back to the ruined weddings!

Let's go, boardsies

(na-na-nanana-nah-nah)

Black velvet if you please.

That was her wasnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Black velvet if you please.

That was her wasnt it?

No, that was Alannah Myles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

This thread should be renamed Ruining a wedding thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Porklife wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed Ruining a wedding thread.

:D

Ruining a ruining a wedding thread. Let's at least be pedantic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

:D

Ruining a ruining a wedding thread. Let's at least be pedantic!

You are technically correct! The best kind of correct!

Things like that are just dickheadish. You've had months/years to cancel it.

Depends what they did and if you want to cause maximum embarrassment for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Depends what they did and if you want to cause maximum embarrassment for them.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

ontour2 wrote: »
    From behind the bar.....

Very run-of-the-mill weddings with a two piece wedding band that had played many times and had a good reputation. One of the guests got up to sing and very unluckily tripped on some wires and went head first towards the keyboard player. Keyboard player managed to grab the keyboard but the guy falling used the stand to break his fall and the arm of the stand went straight into the keyboard player's laptop.

Everyone was fine, however laptop was dead and we all soon realised how much of the music was the backing tracks or whatever else the laptop was doing connected to the keyboard. In fairness to the two lads they tried but is was like watching a balloon deflate, atmosphere was lost. And no disco/ dj as it was also on the laptop. Even their light sequences ran off the laptop.

... I am sure some people had very nice conversations with relatives they have not seen in a while....... ( attempting a positive spin...)

And I doubt they were compensated for the laptop either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭boardlady

Isn't it ironic, dont you think?

Alanis Morrisette actually ...

Now that restrictions are easing we'll start to see more hastily arranged weddings while the going is good. Need more fuel for this thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Now that restrictions are easing we'll start to see more hastily arranged weddings while the going is good. Need more fuel for this thread :D

One wonders how many planned weddings were postponed by covid and then the couple broke up, depriving us of some on the day disasters :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It'll be live reporting as well. "I was at a wedding at the weekend and......"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

ablelocks wrote: »

You've got to feel sorry for the bride. I guess she married for future financial stability, and maybe she's happy with that, but arranged marriages are something that I'm happy to have in the past in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

KevRossi wrote: »
    You've got to feel sorry for the bride. I guess she married for future financial stability, and maybe she's happy with that, but arranged marriages are something that I'm happy to have in the past in this country.

They seem to work well in some parts of the world.
    It would certainly take the stress of the dating game out of your life which has both good and bad aspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

90% of Indian marriages are arranged and the divorce rate is 1%.

In the US the divorce rate hovers between 40% to 50% for 'love marriages'. The US divorce rate for arranged marriages is 4%.

Maybe the bride didn't do so bad after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

BattleCorp wrote: »

In the US the divorce rate hovers between 40% to 50% for 'love marriages'. The US divorce rate for arranged marriages is 4%.

i'm sure if we looked up the rate of so called Honour Killings in relation to arranged marriages there'd be an interesting correlation too. ...

ablelocks wrote: »

Fair play to the man who stepped in, took one for the team and made sure the party continued.

I wonder did they get a group of lads together for the throwing the bouquet and he caught it. Little did he know they meant 5 minutes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

i'm sure if we looked up the rate of so called Honour Killings in relation to arranged marriages there'd be an interesting correlation too. ...

I'd doubt it.

But, anyway, this is supposed to be a fun thread about weddings where people take a dump on the alter while the crazy ex-girlfriend turns up with a baby in her arms and the bride is caught giving the best man a hand-job while he is giving his speech!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

There is a difference between arranged marriages and forced marriages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A lot of them won't divorce as it's an insult to the families who arranged the marriage.

Also most women in India are financially dependent on their spouses and are destitute if they leave them, often ending out on the streets or in prostitution. The man tends to get most of the possessions. The woman tends to take the kids with her as she's responsible for them and the kids are only shaming the father if they stay with him.

Attitudes are changing, but it's still a rough spot for a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

In similar news, the incidence of sunburn has been shown to correlate strongly with ice-cream sales. The sale of ice-cream should therefore be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Come on folks, you're only allowed talk about arranged marriages in the context of a ruined wedding day... not a ruined marriage.

We want stories where one of the arranged hooks up with a sibling of their bethrothed at the wedding party etc etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

dotsman wrote: »
    I'd doubt it.

But, anyway, this is supposed to be a fun thread about weddings where people take a dump on the alter while the crazy ex-girlfriend turns up with a baby in her arms and the bride is caught giving the best man a hand-job while he is giving his speech!
    Sorry, what #number is that story in the thread..?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thankfully, I've never done it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

ckeego wrote: »
    Sorry, what #number is that story in the thread..?!

I'm hoping it will be the next one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Suppose some ugly ****er would be happy to say he's/was married, no need to put pressure on himself on the likes of tinder etc

I get where you're coming from though

Miss a story or two about a ruined wedding, wouldn't ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Feck you. You got me all excited thinking there were some new ones to read.

I realise that now I have done that to others but am so angry I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

It's been said already but if someone could be arsed to go through this thread there is enough material for a bestselling book.

Witchie wrote: »
    Feck you. You got me all excited thinking there were some new ones to read.

I realise that now I have done that to others but am so angry I don't care.

Jeez sorry, will you marry me? Story of wedding to follow on Monday. I'm sure we can ruin it make it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

That's my second proposal this year. Sorry it's also my second no.

• Advertisement

Witchie wrote: »
    That's my second proposal this year. Sorry it's also my second no.

:( it had such potential to be a great wedding.....

Advertisement