Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Trigger wrote: »
    I agree, the future has yet to be seen, but the only measures that have been continuous since they were brought in have been masks and social distancing.

All measures have not been a permanent fixture since the pandemic started, they have been sporadic, and with the introduction of vaccines we will see less and less restrictions in place as we move forward

Not really, you couldn’t go on holidays for example and wet pubs/nightclubs haven’t been open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Parachutes wrote: »
    Not really, you couldn’t go on holidays for example and wet pubs/nightclubs haven’t been open.

I'm going on holidays in 3 weeks and will be having a pint.

Thread states ALL restrictions will be permanent, this is manifestly horse****.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And when are those restrictions due to be lifted?

Different jurisdiction, but same pandemic, and I've been able to go to the pub for a month already and as of next week I'll be able to sit inside a pub for a pint. Nightclubs potentially due open in about 6 weeks.

So not permanent then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I have seen plenty of people go on holidays and quarantine on return since the first restrictions came in.

As for Wet pubs/nightclubs, I thought that wet pubs opened everywhere apart from Dublin in Sept or so last year, i could be misremembering there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We’ve been permanently under 1 restriction or another since March 2020, yes. Future is yet to be seen.

This appears like you are insinuating the perhaps certain measures could be permanent, why would that be?

In 300 pages of this thread we've had countless hints and innuendo that measures are permanent, but no one has explained why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We’ve been permanently under 1 restriction or another since March 2020, yes. Future is yet to be seen.

A simple question for you (that no one has dared answer yet). As per the thread title, what restrictions do you think will be permanent and why would they be kept as a permanent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

A simple question for you (that no one has dared answer yet). As per the thread title, what restrictions do you think will be permanent and why would they be kept as a permanent thing.

He already answered this and suggested that social distancing and masks might be permanent.

The reasoning being that social distancing will stop people protesting.
    The masks will be a reminder that there's a pandemic.

He has not explained how these reasons make a lick of sense.

"Based on faulty thinking I have a vague feeling that the government is up to something with Covid and wants to control us somehow, I have no proper evidence or even reasoning for this and barely believe it myself, but I'll post the notion up on a forum and do whatever mental gymnastics it takes to defend it to death"

Is a hypothetical answer ;)

Just on masks and the thoughts that they might be permanent, today restrictions were eased on fully vaccinated people who can now meet with other fully vaccinated people in an indoor setting (three households) without the need wear a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The only people that seem to want the restrictions maintained permanently are the conspiracy theorists. Meantime everyone's getting on with their lives. I'll be visiting my elderly mum for the first time since Christmas this Saturday. Family reunion organized for June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

There's a bizarre hashtag on Twitter with the acronym TCOIMH, which stands for 'The Control Of Information Makes History'.

The Twitter account tweeting this is duzBme, which has the handle @knighteye.

duzBme thinks that the main-stream media, along with the big guns of social media, have the control of information.

The account says about these media:
    They dictate the narrative all things COVID and the pixies lap it up hook, line and sinker. Generations to come will believe everything written and reported today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

There's a bizarre hashtag on Twitter with the acronym TCOIMH, which stands for 'The Control Of Information Makes History'.

duzBme thinks that the main-stream media, along with the big guns of social media, have the control of information.

Stop getting your information from twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You don't see the irony of this person using Twitter to get this "message" across? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Who are we to argue with duzBme?

Mod: The above seems to be your not so clever way to get around the previous mod warning on link dumps. Please add you own commentary to posts and refrain from posting in this manner in future

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The only people that seem to want the restrictions maintained permanently are the conspiracy theorists. Meantime everyone's getting on with their lives. I'll be visiting my elderly mum for the first time since Christmas this Saturday. Family reunion organized for June.

They want the conspiracy they've been fighting against to be real just so they aren't proven wrong.

Maybe they'll take credit that their battle against these measures has lead to them dropping the measures.

I'm also amazed that in 5000 posts not one of them predicted Gates would be getting a divorce, you'd think one of them would have accidentally made this prediction.

A stopped clock tells the right time twice a day (unless they're also a conspiracy theorist).

astrofool wrote: »
    They want the conspiracy they've been fighting against to be real just so they aren't proven wrong.

Maybe they'll take credit that their battle against these measures has lead to them dropping the measures.

I'm also amazed that in 5000 posts not one of them predicted Gates would be getting a divorce, you'd think one of them would have accidentally made this prediction.

A stopped clock tells the right time twice a day (unless they're also a conspiracy theorist).

If cases start to jump in the slightest, even with the vaccinations, and one measure is temporarily reversed, temporarily, I cast-iron guarantee covid conspiracy theorists will claim "victory", they were "right all along". Calling it now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Doesn't even need cases of covid to jump, just need someone with a cold/flu to be walking the street in late October wearing a mask and getting quizzed about the mask as a filler segment on a quiet day of news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    If cases start to jump in the slightest, even with the vaccinations, and one measure is temporarily reversed, temporarily, I cast-iron guarantee covid conspiracy theorists will claim "victory", they were "right all along". Calling it now.

Lockdowns and curfew in September, calling it now. Who wants to put a flutter on it?

Dohnjoe wrote: »

I think NPHET have been pretty open that numbers will rise however the demographic catching the virus now is largely in the 18-24 age group. Yeah the tin foil hatters will be all over it "masks don't work because numbers are rising".

• Advertisement

johnmck wrote: »
    Lockdowns and curfew in September, calling it now. Who wants to put a flutter on it?

Why would we have a curfew? Been no curfews here to date.

I'm still trying to find short segment on Newstalk where Ciara Kelly asks that NPHET doctor would he be in favour of curfews when schools return in September 2021. He said he would. If somebody can please find the segment post a link.
    The question came out of nowhere from her.

You a betting person?

You a betting person?

I had a good Cheltenham:) . There won't be any curfews here. Calling it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Curflu more like...

I think that when September comes and goes and no curfews happen you will refuse to acknowledge this fact or that your prediction turned out to be wrong.

Do you believe that once the curfews introduced in September, they will be permanent?
    If so, what's the real motive for this?

King Mob wrote: »
    I think that when September comes and goes and no curfews happen you will refuse to acknowledge this fact or that your prediction turned out to be wrong.

Do you believe that once the curfews introduced in September, they will be permanent?
    If so, what's the real motive for this?

Ah not you again. I'm willing to lose money on it what more do you want Leo

Ah not you again. I'm willing to lose money on it what more do you want Leo
    Answers to direct questions instead of dodging and ignoring would be nice.

But you clearly can't do this as you don't want to apply any critical thoughts to your conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Ok, that's fairly clear.
    You are betting your credibility there will be a curfew in September.
    By end of September, if there is no curfew in Ireland, you admit your credibility is suspect?

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    Answers to direct questions instead of dodging and ignoring would be nice.

But you clearly can't do this as you don't want to apply any critical thoughts to your conspiracy theory.

Tell me, what's conspiracy about me saying that there will be lockdowns and curfews in September ? Lockdowns have happened before and Newstalk leaked curfews , so where is the conspiracy. You seem to want something more, like you are lakogk something. But I don't think you'll find it here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement