Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep..I was hoping there would be some resolution to this by July 10th, but frig it I'm going anyway. I have to deal with a water leak issue with our holiday place in France and it can't wait any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

This is some disaster. I’m supposed to be flying to Lanzarote on July 20th and we agreed we’ll only go if the government give the green light.

Is it the potential 2 week quarantine on return that's putting you off?

The can will be kicked down the road but a few agencies have been out today pleading that even if the travel advisory is not lifted on the 9th to at least tell people that subject to X, y & z the following countries will be on a green list come the 20th.

How long was your trip meant to be for? Unless there is a huge flare up one would imagine that the advisory will have been lifted when you return to Ireland one or two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This is some disaster. I’m supposed to be flying to Lanzarote on July 20th and we agreed we’ll only go if the government give the green light.
    I could be going to bed on the 19th not knowing if I can go or not. Will be booking my accommodation in the airport if we can travel. What a clusterfcuk.

Jeezus, the lack of leadership and clarity from this new "Government" is really messing with peoples heads...

Just go on your holiday! Flights are going, hotels in Lanzo are open, by the time you get back this dumb quarantine form will be gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Jeezus, the lack of leadership and clarity from this new "Government" is really messing with peoples heads...

Just go on your holiday! Flights are going, hotels in Lanzo are open, by the time you get back this dumb quarantine form will be gone...

Not everyone can, a lot of workplaces are not allowing employees to go if they have to isolate or are not paying them etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Beersmith wrote: »
    Not everyone can, a lot of workplaces are not allowing employees to go if they have to isolate or are not paying them etc

Seek advice on that, depending on terms and conditions agreed when you started work, they may not be able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Pinklady09

I’m in Spain since yesterday, flight from Dublin Airport to Alicante was quiet, Dublin Airport dead and Alicante airport well organised. In public places, ie the shops everyone wearing masks but had a walk to the beach today where I wasn’t more than 2 metres close to anyone and had the mask with me but didn’t wear it unless close to someone.
    Restaurants are super, all seats and tables cleaned down with spray and wipes before sitting down. At the community pool today, there were only two other groups and the lifeguard cleaned and sterilised all handrails every 30 mins and we were given hand steriliser on arrival. So far all good, just worried how I’m going to tell work that I may have to quarantine on arrival home, really thought that would be sorted by the 9th! Looks unlikely now! Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

Of course as we have found, Spanish resorts are well organized, cleaned and policed. There’s mor3 danger in Irish pubs and beaches. We spend almost every minute outdoors in the sun, except for sleeping in the apartment. With Irish weather, you are likely to spend 50% indoors on you4 Raincation. Enjoy the holiday away from this dithering muddle of Government, who seem to be run by the Teachers Unions. Wasn’t Micheal one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

TUI onto me Friday, our holiday to Majorca in August is now cancelled.

Re-booked it for next June and they were looking of 3K extra but we eventually settled for 1.2K.

That's life

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres a question.
    If I was to drive to Belfast,get a plane to Spain and come back through Belfast would I have to quarantine when I get home?
    Theres no quarantine for the UK and now the UK have lifted their quarantine aswell.

Would travel insurance cover you if you were to travel this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭nice bit of green

Manc_Red wrote: »

Re-booked it for next June and they were looking of 3K extra but we eventually settled for 1.2K.

That's life
    That’s awful, sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

That's life

Wow that’s crazy! Sorry to hear your trip is cancelled.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Heres a question.
    If I was to drive to Belfast,get a plane to Spain and come back through Belfast would I have to quarantine when I get home?
    Theres no quarantine for the UK and now the UK have lifted their quarantine aswell.

That's a great question, from what I gather the isolation period would not be required for a trip to Belfast, what you did there is a matter for the UK, not here.

I have spoken to several that are planning a trip like this (one is a teacher), whether they will actually go ahead with it is anyone's guess.

Can you take our travel insurance in the North? Then that should be ok, no idea if we can though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭billyhead

That's life

Is it the exact same holiday. How can they get away with charging extra. Did they cancel it or you

That's life

Is it the exact same holiday. How can they get away with charging extra. Did they cancel it or you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Manc_Red wrote:

Manc_Red wrote:

Manc_Red wrote:
    That's life

Would you not have been better off taking a refund? An extra 1.2k for what is arguably a quieter month than August. Seems extreme.

I'd have taken the money, anyone's guess as to how the next 12 months will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Not much difference between the two, but would a private transfer be safer than a taxi when arriving in alicante? Trying to minimise the risk as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Just flew from cork to Alicante today w 2 kids. Sunday 5th. Flight about 2/3 full. No issues and everybody adhering to the guidelines. Surprised that the average age was >60, but I guess a lot are going over to their holiday homes.
    Had predone the health screening online so QR codes were accepted. Thermal scan as you’re walking out from baggage collection. Waved through with no issue... didn’t see anybody getting questioned, but they’re definitely checking your credentials... Quickest I was ever out through the airport. Nobody allowed in unless you’re flying. Glad to be here. Will stay low for a few days before we get too adventurous!’ Not sure when we’ll be allowed back home 😀

I am flying to North West Spain in September and I see that they have locked down an area. Doesn't give much confidence in going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

billyhead wrote: »
    I am flying to North West Spain in September and I see that they have locked down an area. Doesn't give much confidence in going there.

I think it is a positive thing that these localised lockdowns are happening. it's the way things will be for a while and will hopefully prevent widespread break outs

No one 'has' to isolate so it's your bosses decision not to allow you in the workplace and should still pay you but I can understand but wanting to of course.

My own bosses told me "it's a health recommendation, not a legal requirement" so back to work with me.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Heres a question.

No you would not but then you are not legally required to quarantine anyway.

Dunno about insurance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Not much difference between the two, but would a private transfer be safer than a taxi when arriving in alicante? Trying to minimise the risk as much as possible.

No difference really. Bear in mind you’ll have to wear a face mask in the car anyway

No one 'has' to isolate so it's your bosses decision not to allow you in the workplace and should still pay you but I can understand but wanting to of course.

My own bosses told me "it's a health recommendation, not a legal requirement" so back to work with me.

Yes that is the fine print but their thing is they will conform to government advise which is clear in fairness. They argue that contracts say you should be fit for work and not endanger others so coming in without Isolating is in violation. Ultimately they say they can't stop you but they won't approve leave as you won't be available for work.

You can be technically correct but you kick up a big fuss in real life and can mess up things for colleagues in your team.

You can be technically correct but you kick up a big fuss in real life and can mess up things for colleagues in your team.

Depends on how/where you work etc, but generally you do have rights that can't altered without both parties consent.
    Tbh if you are available to work and have no legal impediment to do so then they're the ones who aren't allowing you to do so, without a positive test there's no proof you are endangering anyone.

bladespin wrote: »
    Depends on how/where you work etc, but generally you do have rights that can't altered without both parties consent.
    Tbh if you are available to work and have no legal impediment to do so then they're the ones who aren't allowing you to do so, without a positive test there's no proof you are endangering anyone.

Agreed. What they have done with us is asked for cooperation and if we do travel you won't be fired etc but probably not allowed in work and thus ultimately will be perceived as screwing over your colleagues for selfish reasons.

Agreed. What they have done with us is asked for cooperation and if we do travel you won't be fired etc but probably not allowed in work and thus ultimately will be perceived as screwing over your colleagues for selfish reasons.

Blame the government for that, they've screwed everyone over with it.

I've spoken with all of my workmates and not one has a problem with me travelling (if I choose to do so), not participating in the guilt culture the government loves to push, doubt if many will.

bladespin wrote: »
    Blame the government for that, they've screwed everyone over with it.

I've spoken with all of my workmates and not one has a problem with me travelling (if I choose to do so), not participating in the guilt culture the government loves to push, doubt if many will.

Agree as well, that's why I don't blame my company and others, they are trying to cover their asses and the easiest thing is to go with government advice.

I would disagree with that advice and question to lack of clarity etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Agree as well, that's why I don't blame my company and others, they are trying to cover their asses and the easiest thing is to go with government advice.

I would disagree with that advice and question to lack of clarity etc

Companies should take the safety of their workers seriously, even if the workers do not.

Companies should take the safety of their workers seriously, even if the workers do not.

I'm sure they do (both company and workers alike) but this whole thing puts the company itself in a very difficult spot, which is unfair to say the least.

For the most part they have no right to dictate where/how an employee can take their leave, or even ask how they plan to do so, yet health and safety requires them to provide a safe working environment, yet they have no way to prove the returning worker is any greater risk/danger without a test result (GDPR).
    Most of the above would require alternation to the terms and conditions of employment, they can't change that without your consent etc etc. All of which would have to be applied retrospectively, legally a minefield.

Surely there could have been an easier way?

Oh wait....

• Advertisement

And most employees are actually happy to comply with both government and companies policies but are due to lose 100s or 1000s on holidays they booked months ago which is really unfair.

Then employees see flights going ahead and see other countries freely holidaying and put them in a weird spot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement