Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Beersmith wrote: »
    And most employees are actually happy to comply with both government and companies policies but are due to lose 100s or 1000s on holidays they booked months ago which is really unfair.

Then employees see flights going ahead and see other countries freely holidaying and put them in a weird spot.

Very much, already several posts on here referring to thousands lost.

Not to mention tourists arriving here while they won't travel, yes I agree the numbers are low right now but the more travel becomes a norm in the UK and EU (really unsure how the US will go) you will see more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I cancelled the apartment I had booked in Salou for a week in August today. It's too dodgy to go there I think, and the Government advice on 'non essential travel' is still there. . Got to cancel it for free anyway. I'll have to lie the loss of the Ryanair flights I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'll have to lie the loss of the Ryanair flights I suppose.

This. To me it looks very unfair on people. Either the Gov should ground non essential flights so that people can be refunded or publish the green list to let people go and at least have their holiday with travel insurance.

They want to have their cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

finbarrk wrote: »
    I cancelled the apartment I had booked in Salou for a week in August today. It's too dodgy to go there I think, and the Government advice on 'non essential travel' is still there. . Got to cancel it for free anyway. I'll have to lie the loss of the Ryanair flights I suppose.
    I cancelled my 9 nights in Salou meant to be going on the 24th July cancelled apartments for free and moved flights to July next year it cost me €500 to move the flights but it felt better than losing the flight money completely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Not looking good for me considering I'm supposed to go to Lanz on the 20th and the wife and I agreed we would only go if Spain was on the green list.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1280144331719036928

• Advertisement

Not looking good for me considering I'm supposed to go to Lanz on the 20th and the wife and I agreed we would only go if Spain was on the green list.

Not sure how it would sit with your other half but it's the return date I'd be looking at, though who knows?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm sure in the days leading up to the 20th there'll be a ton of leaks about which countries are going to make the list.

Of course, ideally they would just publish the actual criteria they are using, and so everyone could see for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

bladespin wrote: »
    Not sure how it would sit with your other half but it's the return date I'd be looking at, though who knows?

Very fair point. Returning on the 28th so if they say no quarantine from 27th on off we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The question with regards to Spain is whether they separate the mainland and islands? Already heavily leaked that Spain won't be on the green list but the Canaries are pretty much free of cases as it stands at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The question with regards to Spain is whether they separate the mainland and islands? Already heavily leaked that Spain won't be on the green list but the Canaries are pretty much free of cases as it stands at the moment.

There are many parts that are C19 free. Alicante region which includes Costa Blanca is one.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    There are many parts that are C19 free. Alicante region which includes Costa Blanca is one.

But these are easy picking from a green list point of view. Anything on the mainland is too joined up and connected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

FGR wrote: »
    This. To me it looks very unfair on people. Either the Gov should ground non essential flights so that people can be refunded or publish the green list to let people go and at least have their holiday with travel insurance.

They want to have their cake and eat it.

There is no such thing as a non essential flight. Arguably all flights are essential, it’s revenue for a company, and wages for employees.

Passengers flying for non essential reasons is a different story.

Btw, I’ve finished my work for the day here in Spain and I’m enjoying a cerveza on a local bar terrace in the sun. I’ve my face mask beside me. My region has no coronavirus cases in hospital. But you know, the Irish government wants to convince you that Spain and other countries are a Petri dish for the virus. It’s completely untrue.

There are 2 outbreaks of note in Spain right now. One in Lugo and one in Lleida. You won’t have heard of those places because they’re not tourist spots. There are other outbreaks but they aren’t really in the news. In all cases they’re under control. There’s no messing about here.

Meanwhile the Irish government makes concessions for publicans, sticks it’s head in the sand over schools and is reaping what it sowed as pictures of pubs breaking the rules are all over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

There are 2 outbreaks of note in Spain right now. One in Lugo and one in Lleida. You won’t have heard of those places because they’re not tourist spots. There are other outbreaks but they aren’t really in the news. In all cases they’re under control. There’s no messing about here.
    Thanks for this.
    I am watching the news closely as would love to go back to Spain for a short break next year (nothing booked yet).

I follow El Pais, today they have posted this:
    In the two weeks since the state of alarm came to an end, nearly 300,000 residents in Lleida province in Catalonia and Lugo province in Galicia have been confined to their comarcas following a spike in infections; another 80,000 people in the northwestern region of Aragón have been moved back to Phase 2 of the government’s coronavirus deescalation plan; two buildings – one in Santander and another in Albacete – have been placed under quarantine; and around 50 coronavirus outbreaks are being monitored across the country. Of Spain’s 17 regions, only Asturias and La Rioja have not reported a coronavirus outbreak.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-07-06/map-of-new-coronavirus-outbreaks-in-spain-two-comarcas-confined-and-two-buildings-in-quarantine.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I think this type of thing knocks people’s confidence. It’d be your worst nightmare getting caught up in a lockdown scenario. Even more so if you were unfortunate to contract the virus. I think I’m right to say that if the government advisory of non essential travel is in place but you still decide to travel then any travel insurance you may have is null and void.
    otnomart wrote: »
    Thanks for this.
    I am watching the news closely as would love to go back to Spain for a short break next year (nothing booked yet).

I follow El Pais, today they have posted this:
    In the two weeks since the state of alarm came to an end, nearly 300,000 residents in Lleida province in Catalonia and Lugo province in Galicia have been confined to their comarcas following a spike in infections; another 80,000 people in the northwestern region of Aragón have been moved back to Phase 2 of the government’s coronavirus deescalation plan; two buildings – one in Santander and another in Albacete – have been placed under quarantine; and around 50 coronavirus outbreaks are being monitored across the country. Of Spain’s 17 regions, only Asturias and La Rioja have not reported a coronavirus outbreak.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-07-06/map-of-new-coronavirus-outbreaks-in-spain-two-comarcas-confined-and-two-buildings-in-quarantine.html

johnire wrote: »
    I think this type of thing knocks people’s confidence. It’d be your worst nightmare getting caught up in a lockdown scenario. Even more so if you were unfortunate to contract the virus. I think I’m right to say that if the government advisory of non essential travel is in place but you still decide to travel then any travel insurance you may have is null and void.

You’re wrong. But I’m tired of explaining it.

Spain has a population of near 50m. Two outbreaks have hit the news. (There are more but they’re not as exciting for the god fearing Irish news). The finer details have not hit the Irish news. Fear and scaremongering has.

There are plenty of regions in Spain, including holiday hotspots, with little or no coronavirus. My own area hasn’t had a hospitalised case since may 5th.

Travel ban on Irish people going abroad.
    But not on tourists arriving in Ireland.

Read between the lines. Follow the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just a quick update my flight was grand on Saturday to Alicante and getting through once landed was a breeze.

I was out the last two nights and it's essentially business as usual, it's noticable quiet though but I'll be working from here remotely for the foreseeable so it doesn't bother me, I'm glad I decided to go.

Thank you for the explanation but the following seems to contradict the news that there are only two outbreaks. Which is it ...2 or 50?

50 coronavirus outbreaks are being monitored across the country. Of Spain’s 17 regions, only Asturias and La Rioja have not reported a coronavirus outbreak
    You’re wrong. But I’m tired of explaining it.

Spain has a population of near 50m. Two outbreaks have hit the news. (There are more but they’re not as exciting for the god fearing Irish news). The finer details have not hit the Irish news. Fear and scaremongering has.

There are plenty of regions in Spain, including holiday hotspots, with little or no coronavirus. My own area hasn’t had a hospitalised case since may 5th.

Travel ban on Irish people going abroad.
    But not on tourists arriving in Ireland.

Read between the lines. Follow the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭JimmyChew

I had been confident enough on my trip to Alicante trip during the first week in August until i heard Micheal Martin
    name check Spain when referring to outbreak hotsopt's on the news earlier this evening.

I'm looking for a plan B. We've done Santa ponsa/Lanzarote to death. Young Family, not mad keen on busy nightlife just a reasonably priced week in the sun with a little bit of entertainment in the evening time. Ex SNN preferably.

What says the well traveled folk of boards? Whats good on the Islands? They have a better chance of making the Green list from what i'm reading.

Mod, do your thing if im out of line..

Mucho Gracias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Your first problem is Shannon!

It's the most convenient airport for me also but the options are woeful.

MM name checked Spain today but who's to say he won't be name checking France or any other country within 2 weeks.

If you can in anyway manage the couple of weeks 'quarantine' when you return, say working from home etc. My advice would be to just stick with your original holiday plans

There is no such thing as a non essential flight. Arguably all flights are essential, it’s revenue for a company, and wages for employees.

Passengers flying for non essential reasons is a different story.

Btw, I’ve finished my work for the day here in Spain and I’m enjoying a cerveza on a local bar terrace in the sun. I’ve my face mask beside me. My region has no coronavirus cases in hospital. But you know, the Irish government wants to convince you that Spain and other countries are a Petri dish for the virus. It’s completely untrue.

Meanwhile the Irish government makes concessions for publicans, sticks it’s head in the sand over schools and is reaping what it sowed as pictures of pubs breaking the rules are all over the internet.

I'll give you a virtual cheers from not-so-sunny-today Asturias.

• Advertisement

Damiencm wrote: »
    Your first problem is Shannon!

It's the most convenient airport for me also but the options are woeful.

MM name checked Spain today but who's to say he won't be name checking France or any other country within 2 weeks.

If you can in anyway manage the couple of weeks 'quarantine' when you return, say working from home etc. My advice would be to just stick with your original holiday plans

Correct.. Options are pretty limited for what I'm looking for. But i will say there seems to be plenty of availability at very reasonable prices. A week in the sun anywhere is appealing after the last few months.

Fuerteventura? never really heard much of it.. Probably a reason for that..

JimmyChew wrote: »

Went years ago, roasting, was pretty quiet.

So can anyone address the issue of travel insurance?
    Are you or are you not covered if you decide to travel while there is a ban on non essential travel in place?
    If that’s the case it seems a bit of a risk to travel without insurance?

Are you or are you not covered if you decide to travel while there is a ban on non essential travel in place?

My understanding is that you have no cover at all if travelling while the government advice is no non essential travel.

Thanks for that-I thought that all right.
    My understanding is that you have no cover at all if travelling while the government advice is no non essential travel.

Ask your insurance company but as a general rule you aren't.

Thank you for the explanation but the following seems to contradict the news that there are only two outbreaks. Which is it ...2 or 50?

50 coronavirus outbreaks are being monitored across the country. Of Spain’s 17 regions, only Asturias and La Rioja have not reported a coronavirus outbreak

There are actually 70 outbreaks in Spain at present. Only the 2 are of concern. Outbreaks are when there is a larger than expected rate of infection. Technically even a few people can be considered an outbreak

The reason the 2 are of concern is because they’re in lockdown. One is agriculture related, a bit of an eye roll. The town with 200k is different. One reason it’s of concern is the upcoming local elections. They’re in lockdown for 5 days then it’s reviewed again. Cases did jump in the town, so lockdown was the right course of action.

Spain always said they would anticipate these outbreaks and they’re on the ball with responding. The PM, Sánchez, has been on the news reassuring the nation they’re far better equipped for it compared to March.

It’s definitely ok to feel anxious about this. But genuinely hand on heart, in my region I feel so much safer in public than I ever did in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 steq24

Hi all, anyone in Barcelona or planning to go soon? Wondering what things are like there atm. I've read the official guidelines on El Pais but I'm trying to gauge how pleasant/desirable it is to be there right now - ie sitting down for a meal, popping into bar for a quick beer etc.

Not bothered about quarantine as I work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Been a few times, can be very windy, with the sand blowing it's a great exfoliating experience ! Great for surfers though. Some fantastic beaches on the east coast, Sotavento in particular. The west coast is very wild. Busiest tourist spots on the east coast would be Corralejo, Caleta de Fuste and Morro Jable. But there are lots of smaller developments in quiet beach locations if you want to get away from it all. No flights from Cork for a few years now which is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Comer1

So, because of government advice, they won't cover you if you travel and the won't cover you if you don't travel (by refund).

Don't you just love insurance companies?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement