Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir wrote: »
    A flower supports British army objectives?

What they wave it at the Russians do they?

It is always possible to tell when someone is all out of argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Sidenote.. but I see that Martin O'Neill is concerned about the abuse James McLean may receive if he's picked to play against the North in Belfast because of his anti poppy stance.
    I'm all for the poppy... but I respect anyone's decision not to wear it and won't question that....just wish some of our fellow countrymen would follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A flower supports British army objectives?

What they wave it at the Russians do they?

It goes towards ex BA personnell. Therefore its helping the british state look after its vetereans. As these would mostly be vetereans of various colonial efforts at this stage, its unacceptable to many of us.

just wish some of our fellow countrymen would follow suit.

Why would you ever expect an Irish man or woman to support the British Army?

They are quite capable of remembering without doing that and without virtue signalling that they are doing it.

Odhinn wrote: »
    It goes towards ex BA personnell. Therefore its helping the british state look after its vetereans. As these would mostly be vetereans of various colonial efforts at this stage, its unacceptable to many of us.

Only if you buy one from the RBL. As far as I’m aware, you can get poppies anywhere.

Most of the service personnel you talk of are long gone now. I’ve only ever met one person who served in the Mau Mau uprising and he died twenty years ago. Similarly with Cyprus, the old boys I worked with (who were all on national service) are dead and buried.

• Advertisement

Only if you buy one from the RBL. As far as I’m aware, you can get poppies anywhere.

Most of the service personnel you talk of are long gone now. I’ve only ever met one person who served in the Mau Mau uprising and he died twenty years ago. Similarly with Cyprus, the old boys I worked with (who were all on national service) are dead and buried.

Most of them are probably dead by now, but - as an example - there are still plenty alive that served in the second gulf war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What colonial efforts would you be talking about ?
    I think the BA contribute significantly to UN peacekeeping nowadays as well the more recent conflicts.

Would you begrudge a UN soldier support ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sidenote.. but I see that Martin O'Neill is concerned about the abuse James McLean may receive if he's picked to play against the North in Belfast because of his anti poppy stance.
    I'm all for the poppy... but I respect anyone's decision not to wear it and won't question that....just wish some of our fellow countrymen would follow suit.
    Well I suppose its a change from giving him abuse for playing ****e

Would you exclude the R.A.F. rescue teams that fly hundreds of miles out to sea to rescue Irish fishermen in trouble seeing as our own crowd cant fly once it gets dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It looks like a deal done on Brexit, and with the UK having done all the heavy lifting it wont be long until southern Ireland launches moves to have a bit of the same action by Brejoining the UK.

The kind of anti British venom on display in this thread about a peaceful and respectful simple symbol like wearing a poppy is going to have to be toned down.

As Ireland moves into its own transition period, next year's poppy season would be a great way to show how Ireland has moved on from the past, is part of British culture and heritage, and is moving towards all of the British Isles working together towards its shared future, prosperity, cooperation, and integration. Wearing a poppy in 2019 could truly be a turning point for the maturity of the Irish, and I think we will see a marked increase in its observance south of the border.

• Advertisement

What colonial efforts would you be talking about ?
    I think the BA contribute significantly to UN peacekeeping nowadays as well the more recent conflicts.

There's rather a lot of them - Greece, Cyprus, Kenya, Mayalasia, Burma, Aden. I provided more detail here for just a few examples

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108578816&postcount=504

The money isn't ringfenced around specific campaigns or duties.

It looks like a deal done on Brexit, and with the UK having done all the heavy lifting it wont be long until southern Ireland launches moves to have a bit of the same action by Brejoining the UK.

The kind of anti British venom on display in this thread about a peaceful and respectful simple symbol like wearing a poppy is going to have to be toned down.

As Ireland moves into its own transition period, next year's poppy season would be a great way to show how Ireland has moved on from the past, is part of British culture and heritage, and is moving towards all of the British Isles working together towards its shared future, prosperity, cooperation, and integration. Wearing a poppy in 2019 could truly be a turning point for the maturity of the Irish, and I think we will see a marked increase in its observance south of the border.
    Which border? The one between Armagh and Louth or between Chelsea and Kensington?

Sammy Wilson wants to borrow my St Patrick's hat.
    The times they are a changing alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

That includes your historical observations too btw, in case you think it didn’t.

There is a difference between fact and opinion. You're basically peddling Trump style nationalism of alternative facts, diluting complicated things into a simple goodies and baddies perspective: the deliberate adoption of anachronism to support a nationalist mythos.

Ah yes the classic “hey look over there” distractive comment.

I mean you're looking to cherry pick for ideological framing, so a broad picture would probably be distracting, not to mention inconvenient.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Wonder if we can keep a poppy thread running until next November, save restarting it?

We need a poppy thread sticky lest we forget how this thread has been the best craic in years. They're getting more hilariously unhinged as the Brexit stuff gathers pace. There definitely is a relationship between their increasing use of "British Isles" and their increasing awareness of British decline.

I sense that the spirit of the, eh, Fallen from previous threads will remain with us forever under various names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The poopy is a symbol for the briitish soldier's who sacrificed there lives in all armed conflicts. How can an irish person wear a poppy when some of our historical heros were shot down by brittish forces. We should have our own symbol that we wear to remember our own heros.Also there is the 2 bloody sundays and the shoot to kill policy the brittish govermnet brought in against the Ira.
    I respect the irish who fought in the world wars but we should have our own symbol for them.
    Do you think the briitish would wear a symbol that represented the german soldiers that died in armed conflicts ?
    The brittish were our germans dont ever forget that.

We need a poppy thread sticky lest we forget how this thread has been the best craic in years. They're getting more hilariously unhinged as the Brexit stuff gathers pace. There definitely is a relationship between their increasing use of "British Isles" and their increasing awareness of British decline.

I sense that the spirit of the, eh, Fallen from previous threads will remain with us forever under various names.

Definitely true. The rise of poppy fascism and the malaise in the concept of the UK are directly linked imo.

I said at the time of the Scot \Ind ref that we were looking at the 20 year breakup of the UK.

Never thought it would be this far down the line so quickly.

Cue; increased jingoism and size of the poppy.

Most of them are probably dead by now, but - as an example - there are still plenty alive that served in the second gulf war.

And you’ll find most of them were pretty angry about it as well. They didn’t sign up to get sent out on a politicians personal crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Is there any need for this inflammatory sh/te? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Wearing the poppy thread reminds me of the book-Catch 22-and Captain black with his glorious loyalty oath crusade,where he had his men sign loyalty oaths before they could do anything,sign loyalty oaths before they could eat etc.the poppy lovers are not quite there yet ,but seem to be heading in that direction with wearing the poppy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sammy Wilson wants to borrow my St Patrick's hat.
    The times they are a changing alright!

His head couldn't be as big as yours.

Is there any need for this inflammatory sh/te? Seriously?

Ignore is the best course of action, tbh.

There is a difference between fact and opinion. You're basically peddling Trump style nationalism of alternative facts, diluting complicated things into a simple goodies and baddies perspective: the deliberate adoption of anachronism to support a nationalist mythos.

Alternative facts? You're extracting the proverbial urine at this stage. Colonialism was unpleasant to those who had to face it. No amount of deliberately obtuse waffling by people such as yourself can avoid this fact.
    I mean you're looking to cherry pick for ideological framing, so a broad picture would probably be distracting, not to mention inconvenient.

More of the same guff out of you. There's a David Irvingnesque vibe coming off your posts re this whole subject.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The poopy is a symbol for the briitish soldier's who sacrificed there lives in all armed conflicts. How can an irish person wear a poppy when some of our historical heros were shot down by brittish forces. We should have our own symbol that we wear to remember our own heros.Also there is the 2 bloody sundays and the shoot to kill policy the brittish govermnet brought in against the Ira.
    I respect the irish who fought in the world wars but we should have our own symbol for them.
    Do you think the briitish would wear a symbol that represented the german soldiers that died in armed conflicts ?
    The brittish were our germans dont ever forget that.

There us one thing I dislike hearing and that's about the BAs shoot to kill policy, what happened to all the prisoners the IRA took?

His head couldn't be as big as yours.

...are you implying theres rats in his caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Alternative facts? You're extracting the proverbial urine at this stage. Colonialism was unpleasant to those who had to face it.

Because that is totally in dispute right?
    More of the same guff out of you. There's a David Irvingnesque vibe coming off your posts re this whole subject.....

You literally said that history isn't facts, it's what individuals deem it to be. This is literally what you said. No it's not, it's stuff that happened!

You said that if people don't believe something to be so, then it didn't happen.

David Irving says that the Holocaust wasn't perpetrated by the Nazis. It was. This is objective fact. His subjective interpretation is that the Allies were equally responsible for war crimes and that the Third Reich is unfairly blamed. History is inconvenient for him in this regard so he blinkers himself from the 'distractive comments' and looks only at evidence which suits the conclusion he seeks to draw.

Between this, Fuaranach lunging at imaginary imperialists, and TROL heralding a union of and Ireland and Brexit UK, this thread is coming down with a strong case of craziness.

You literally said that history isn't facts, it's what individuals deem it to be. This is literally what you said. No it's not, it's stuff that happened!

History is not 'stuff that happened'. It's the study and interpretation of stuff that happened. Such study leads to differing interpretations, and humans being what they are, highlights the subjective aspect of historical studies.

History is not 'stuff that happened'. It's the study and interpretation of stuff that happened. Such study leads to differing interpretations, and humans being what they are, highlights the subjective aspect of historical studies.

Had the history of Bloody Sunday been left after Widgery for example and nobody had objected? Pretty clear what you are saying 17-pdr.

Had the history of Bloody Sunday been left after Widgery for example and nobody had objected? Pretty clear what you are saying 17-pdr.

What interpretation would you give Francie? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Spook_ie wrote: »
    There us one thing I dislike hearing and that's about the BAs shoot to kill policy, what happened to all the prisoners the IRA took?

The Ira were a terrorist orgainisation. The brittish army was supppsed to be a legitimate and they were far from it.

Advertisement