Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Those in this batch (or sub-segment thereof) received the familiarisation email on 12th October and the link to the test on 19th October, with a deadline of 2pm today 22nd October.

Regarding the format, the etray was significantly different to what was required in the 2018 competition. I found it much more challenging in terms of time pressure, decisions required, information to absorb, etc., I must admit.

I got my results on the 2nd too and when I emailed on Monday they said we should hear that evening. I guess they’ve split into 2 segments, just can’t help feeling anxious now, dying to get it done!

I’ve never done an etray before, don’t know if that will help considering it’s changed! I’m interested to see what it’s like, it sounds really tough...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Did mine earlier and had a load of issues trying to get the sound working on the practice test but it was fine on the real thing.

Did you get sorted after?

Hi, logged the issue with the support team yesterday evening. They got back to me about 45 mins later saying everything was fine. I followed up a couple of times because from my side there was still an error on reviewing the video. They reassured me that it was fine. I felt like a bit of an eejit for questioning them a couple of times.

Fast forward to 5pm this evening, I got a message saying that there were technical difficulties and that I needed to record them again. Anyway I done them over again, wasn't too happy with it this time as was under serious time pressure to get them done.

The support were very quick but fairly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Hi, logged the issue with the support team yesterday evening. They got back to me about 45 mins later saying everything was fine. I followed up a couple of times because from my side there was still an error on reviewing the video. They reassured me that it was fine. I felt like a bit of an eejit for questioning them a couple of times.

Fast forward to 5pm this evening, I got a message saying that there were technical difficulties and that I needed to record them again. Anyway I done them over again, wasn't too happy with it this time as was under serious time pressure to get them done.

Ah that sounds like a nightmare to be honest. Did they insist it had to be done immediately? Here's hoping you did better than you thought but just seemed worse because of the head wreck of having to do it again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

This also happened to me. It was quite hard to find the time to re-record.

I used my mobile the first time and my laptop to the second time with much better results. The second time I gave up on all pretense that I was speaking from memory and read the answers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Panel is moving already - I've just gotten my placement in the interdepartmental Dublin panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

HannahR31 wrote: »
    Panel is moving already - I've just gotten my placement in the interdepartmental Dublin panel.

That is brilliant news, congratulations! Are you going to take the offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Congrats Hannah! I hope you're happy with your placement!

Congratulations, great to hear it's moving so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Andre2020

Me too.

It was very different to the usual format. Different provider I think.

I have never done an etray before, and was very disappointed with how it went. It would have been useful to have a practice run, as I think I would have managed my time better if I knew what to expect. Really don't think I passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Andre2020 wrote: »
    I have never done an etray before, and was very disappointed with how it went. It would have been useful to have a practice run, as I think I would have managed my time better if I knew what to expect. Really don't think I passed!

I have done a few etrays now and I never feel like it went well but have always passed. They are designed to put you under pressure.

This etray was definitely the hardest I have ever done and I too am doubtful that I passed. But fingers crossed...it seems alot of people have had the same experience so we are all in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 flanders1

CBCB wrote: »
    I have done a few etrays now and I never feel like it went well but have always passed. They are designed to put you under pressure.

This etray was definitely the hardest I have ever done and I too am doubtful that I passed. But fingers crossed...it seems alot of people have had the same experience so we are all in the same boat.

My first time ever doing an etray and I found it very tough. The interface of the programme didn't help either, as in you couldn't just click the area behind an open email window to get back to your inbox, you'd to go down to your tabs and all that. No email system actually works like that so it was a little off-putting!

The additional 'reflective' questions after the hour and a half were a killer, I was wrecked after already having a long day at work then an hour and a half of etray, coupled with some anxiety/exasperation due the level 5 restrictions announced during the week as well. Fun times!

I can relate to all your experiences with the e-tray... I hated the e-tray experience, was convinced I had failed it and was in terrible form after it. But managed to scrape a pass, so there's hope for you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Did you hear anything? Or did anyone?

Wondering if it might be delayed due to the problems with the video stage at the moment...

Nope, still nothing!

flanders1 wrote: »
    My first time ever doing an etray and I found it very tough. The interface of the programme didn't help either, as in you couldn't just click the area behind an open email window to get back to your inbox, you'd to go down to your tabs and all that. No email system actually works like that so it was a little off-putting!

The additional 'reflective' questions after the hour and a half were a killer, I was wrecked after already having a long day at work then an hour and a half of etray, coupled with some anxiety/exasperation due the level 5 restrictions announced during the week as well. Fun times!

Yep. The interface was annoying, I couldn't action emails as I normally would.

I didn't spend too much time on the reflective questions. I didn't have the brain power at that point. I am pretty sure that part isn't marked anyways...at least I hope ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Herriott

This is my first time being offered a post off an inter-d panel. Anyone know what the clearance process entails for an existing civil servant or does it make a difference?

Herriott wrote: »
    This is my first time being offered a post off an inter-d panel. Anyone know what the clearance process entails for an existing civil servant or does it make a difference?
    Congratulations also! My only experience was getting HEO on an Interdepartmental panel and I don't recall any extra process to go through. Mind you, I stayed in the same Department so not sure if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The receiving Department will check with your current one for suitability on sick leave and similar, but that's completely routine. The only other hold up might be if the receiving Department has more stringent Garda vetting in place than your parent one. There are enhanced requirements for some Departments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The receiving Department will check with your current one for suitability on sick leave and similar, but that's completely routine. The only other hold up might be if the receiving Department has more stringent Garda vetting in place than your parent one. There are enhanced requirements for some Departments.

This is security clearance, rather than Garda vetting. Garda vetting is one of three elements to the process.

Thanks, all. It's good to get a sense of what's involved as I'm trying to gauge when the new post might begin ��

Thanks, all. It's good to get a sense of what's involved as I'm trying to gauge when the new post might begin ��

Congrats Herriot. I'm assuming you are being placed in Dublin are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mtpower

Hi Hannah, do you mind telling me when you hard your interview? I had mine yesterday and wondering when I might find out! Thanks!

mtpower wrote: »
    Hi Hannah, do you mind telling me when you hard your interview? I had mine yesterday and wondering when I might find out! Thanks!

Had mine on Tuesday and still waiting to hear!

Congrats Herriot. I'm assuming you are being placed in Dublin are you?

Cheers, yep, I was placed on the Dublin panel

How dare they leave me stewing in my juices over a bank holiday weekend thinking about all the things I should have said at interview! :D

MrsBean wrote: »
    How dare they leave me stewing in my juices over a bank holiday weekend thinking about all the things I should have said at interview! :D

Oh god I feel your pain. Hopefully good news for you on Monday.

CBCB wrote: »
    Oh god I feel your pain. Hopefully good news for you on Monday.
    Probably Tuesday due to the long weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mojoviii

I had my interview last week too, early in the week! Like the rest of you, I was a little surprised by the format, and found myself coming back to examples I'd already mentioned because of the way they phrased the questions and interrupted regularly. They were all lovely, but I didn't do myself justice at all, I don't think! I suppose they weren't lying when they said to expect a challenging interview.

The PAS representative at mine mentioned after the interview that we would hear results in November, so I'm not holding my breath for an answer today! I very much hope I don't have to stew that long, though. Hopefully they were just covering their bases in case of unexpected delays...

Wow, seems a long time for us to wait for results. Thanks for the update. I wonder are there interviews this week as well so? I'm not very confident with my performance at interview so not expecting good news but I would love to be put out of my misery and get some closure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mtpower

Completely agree!! I found the format really piecemeal and don't feel like I did myself at all!! Glad I'm not the only one and hopefully we'll still do OK!!
    mojoviii wrote: »
    I had my interview last week too, early in the week! Like the rest of you, I was a little surprised by the format, and found myself coming back to examples I'd already mentioned because of the way they phrased the questions and interrupted regularly. They were all lovely, but I didn't do myself justice at all, I don't think! I suppose they weren't lying when they said to expect a challenging interview.

The PAS representative at mine mentioned after the interview that we would hear results in November, so I'm not holding my breath for an answer today! I very much hope I don't have to stew that long, though. Hopefully they were just covering their bases in case of unexpected delays...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 mojoviii

MrsBean wrote: »
    Wow, seems a long time for us to wait for results. Thanks for the update. I wonder are there interviews this week as well so? I'm not very confident with my performance at interview so not expecting good news but I would love to be put out of my misery and get some closure!

Judging from the message I got about my interview panel, the members on the panel were just for last week, finishing on Friday. I'm sure that the one panel will decide the order of merit for the one batch of interviews, and would not be trying to combine it with a different batch of interviews this week, so any delay shouldn't be because of that!

I wonder what happens if someone asks to delay their interview because of illness? Does anyone know? If there are delays with conducting some of the interviews, would it delay the formation of the order of merit? Or if someone moves their date due to illness, do they just get put in with another batch for interviews?

Advertisement