Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I don’t think that’s “advisable” really. There’s just not that much to say beyond the charitable works. No real need for an AMA.

Just my two cents.

If you are meant for masonry you will find it or it will find you either way if you were given all the answers it wouldnt be special.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If you are meant for masonry you will find it or it will find you.

Ooh that's the most masony thing said ont his thread so far

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ooh that's the most masony thing said ont his thread so far

You clearly arent a mason if you missed all the other references that went over your head at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

You clearly arent a mason if you missed all the other references that went over your head at this stage.

I got great enjoyment out of that comment, such mason carry-on

I got great enjoyment out of that comment, such mason carry-on

For my rite I was going to bring out the Wand of Efram for the paddlin'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

Dr Strange wrote: »
    Nothing more than a charitable social club with some theatrical work thrown in.

I met one once

Wouldn't take any money for rebuilding my wall

Thomas.. wrote: »
    I met one once

Wouldn't take any money for rebuilding my wall

Well we gotta build that wall because it aint going to rebuild itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Drifter50 wrote: »
    No great secret but you will only find out when you get through your initiation. An interesting men only social club who do a lot of good honest charitable work

Yeah Churchill and Alastair Crowley were real paragons on charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don’t think that’s “advisable” really. There’s just not that much to say beyond the charitable works. No real need for an AMA.

Just my two cents.
    I beg to differ. It would be really interesting.
    The reason people think there's something fishy about the Masons is because of all the hush-hush stuff.
    If they laid all their cards on the table and just discussed everything out in the open that would all go away.

Was Crowley in the craft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Was Crowley in the craft?

Crowley had his own club.

He was George Bush's father in law too! Apparently

Treppen wrote: »
    Crowley had his own club.

He was George Bush's father in law too! Apparently
    The Bushes keep that one quiet when they are campaigning I bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The reason people think there's something fishy about the Masons is because of all the hush-hush stuff.
    If they laid all their cards on the table and just discussed everything out in the open that would all go away.

I just don’t think it will be of much benefit. I mean, you may as well be listening to someone talking about being a member of the, local, ‘Lions Club’. It’s, basically, the same thing. But with a little more “ceremony”, of course.

An AMA will just result in, over-excited “tourist” types flooding the thread with questions on Templars, Rosslyn Chapel, Propaganda Due, Jacques De Molay, Oak Island, New World Order/Illuminati, Gilmerton Cove, Bohemian Grove and there being more to the 33rd Degree. All that Dan Brown nonsense.

It’s just a club, like any other really.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Some lovely PR work for the masons going on here. No doubt a few posters are members themselves. A secretive clandestine organisation whose higher orders hold influential positions in society, what could possibly go wrong?! This is actually a real problem in the UK judiciary and police force where members who are masons are involved in corruption, cronyism and the obstruction of reforms due to their divided loyalties.

I was actually approached to join the masons years ago but declined. Not something I would want to be attached to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That is too funny lol

I just don’t think it will be of much benefit.I mean, you may as well be listening to someone talking about being a member of the, local, ‘Lions Club’. It’s, basically, the same thing. But with a little more “ceremony”, of course.

An AMA will just result in, over-excited “tourist” types flooding the thread with questions on Templars, Rosslyn Chapel, Propaganda Due, Jacques De Molay, Oak Island, New World Order/Illuminati, Gilmerton Cove, Bohemian Grove and there being more to the 33rd Degree. All that Dan Brown nonsense.

It’s just a club, like any other really.
    What degree are you Emmet.

Covid19 also, which degree are you?

We should get whoever has the highest one to do the AMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Dan Brown novel, the Lost Symbol, provided an interesting look on Freemasonry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

branie2 wrote: »
    The Dan Brown novel, the Lost Symbol, provided an interesting look on Freemasonry.

Watership Down provided an interesting look at complex rabbit relationships.

I've been approached on more than one occasion to join the Masons. It would be a relatively common organisation to join within the Frankfurt finance bubble, but by no means necessary or hugely beneficial to be a member of to get ahead in your career. It also sounds rather boring to be honest.

Instead I became a member of the Union of European Federalists (Union der Europäischen Föderalisten). This is an organisation advocating for a united, democratic federalist Europe. It's not a secret society, but is a far more useless use of my time as I believer a United Europe is critical if we are to address some of the major challenges facing the continent.

If every tradesman divulged all his secret then there would be nothing to marvel. His trade would be common place and there would be no value to the craft.

• Advertisement

Aleister Crowley, had his own brand of Freemasonry called the Ordo Templi Orientis. This is not Grand Lodge Freemasonry.

Churchill was looking after the UK interest which was his professional job at the time. That has no bearing on his time in Freemasonry.

What degree are you Emmet.

Covid19 also, which degree are you?

We should get whoever has the highest one to do the AMA.

That AMA would have to be approved by Molesworth street. Not that I believe it wouldnt. I dont believe it is in the interest of the craft to disclose all the secrets. A good tradesman covers his work.

Watership Down provided an interesting look at complex rabbit relationships.

I've been approached on more than one occasion to join the Masons. It would be a relatively common organisation to join within the Frankfurt finance bubble, but by no means necessary or hugely beneficial to be a member of to get ahead in your career. It also sounds rather boring to be honest.

Instead I became a member of the Union of European Federalists (Union der Europäischen Föderalisten). This is an organisation advocating for a united, democratic federalist Europe. It's not a secret society, but is a far more useless use of my time as I believer a United Europe is critical if we are to address some of the major challenges facing the continent.
    There's always major challenges

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Up Donegal wrote: »
    I think you should consider doing an AMA about the Freemasons. I'm sure you would get a lot of interesting questions and views. Contact the Admin team.

Hmmm I dunno - I suspect its another edgy 'I'm one of them' type thing

Afaik AMA posters need to prove their bonafides...

gozunda wrote: »
    Hmmm I dunno - I suspect its another edgy 'I'm one of them' type thing

Afaik AMA posters need to prove their bonafides...

That is easy to prove, Contact Molesworth street and ask them to suggest someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

Anyone able to confirm / deny :

The Bewleys hotel between the Brit embassy and the RDS used to be Masonic girls school ?

Some lovely PR work for the masons going on here. No doubt a few posters are members themselves. A secretive clandestine organisation whose higher orders hold influential positions in society, what could possibly go wrong?! This is actually a real problem in the UK judiciary and police force where members who are masons are involved in corruption, cronyism and the obstruction of reforms due to their divided loyalties.

No, there is not, Tony Blair had all the Police masonic lodges disbanded. All senior civil servant have to declare if they are members of any masonic style orders (that also includes the OO as well as UGLE and such). In the old days the court clerk would have been a mason and would know not to let a Judge sit on a case where another mason was in the same lodge as him, so he could not be accused later of favouritism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

3d4life wrote: »

The Bewleys hotel between the Brit embassy and the RDS used to be Masonic girls school ?

True. Still has square and compass symbols all over it

3d4life wrote: »

Yes it used to be. That was disposed of in the early 80's with social changes and it was cheaper to provide private school for the Boys and Girls clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

Thanks Oglaigh84.

I have a recollection that there was a Boys school too but for the life of me I cant think where it might have been.

Any ideas ?

Advertisement