Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

With or without the orgies?
    People have this ridiculously outdated “view” of the Masons. It’s just a social club, like any other.

They do a lot of charitable work and serve the community. Similar to the “Lions Club”, in a way.

With orgies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The stonecutters is where it’s at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's all a bit of a cod if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

mondeo wrote: »
    Wonder what the secret handshake is ? Surely someone spilled the beans on that one.

No great secret but you will only find out when you get through your initiation. An interesting men only social club who do a lot of good honest charitable work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Drifter50 wrote: »
    No great secret but you will only find out when you get through your initiation. An interesting men only social club who do a lot of good honest charitable work

I dont think that is going to happen. I just got me a pocket full of black beans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Twenty euro per square foot I think they're getting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I 'know someone' who is a member...

BountifulMixedAvians-size_restricted.gif

...and it's all very harmless and disappointingly unsecretive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I fell in to the Freemasons Arms and had a few pints . Is it better than getting stoned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

I'm a Mason, based in the West of Ireland. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Some of the posts here are hilarious! Especially the Black Bean post.

On a serious note, it's a tough time in The Craft at the moment as, due to Covid Restrictions, our charitable donations are suffering and, by extension, the charities.

Plus, many of our elderly members have lost their possibly only social outlet. Think of it as a Mens Shed with esoteric flavouring. We try to help as many as we can, from a distance. Please keep an eye on elderly neighbours living alone. It's a scary time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

What is this bunch all about ? What do you gain from becoming a freemason ? Are they all a bunch of Wally's with secret handshakes doing eachother favours ?

Anyone here considered joining ? I'm not interested myself but supposedly there are people from high walks of life in Ireland participating. Wasn't there some Irish government officials members of them in the 1990s ?

Like any Club and society, there are rich members and poor members. More average members than rich, I can tell you. Catholic and C of I etc. In fact, all religions are represented in some way across the Country.
    When thus Covid madness dies off, go on the Grand Lodge tour in Molesworth street. What a building!

For me, apart from the chance to help charities, the best part is visiting. I travel a lot for work around the country and I always check my Masonic Diary to see when lodges are meeting, then if I'm in Longford and staying the night, and I see that their local lodge is meeting, I can turn up to their lodge as long as I've attained the 3rd Degree. It's great fun and very interesting as all the lodges are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

What is this bunch all about ? What do you gain from becoming a freemason ? Are they all a bunch of Wally's with secret handshakes doing eachother favours ?

Anyone here considered joining ? I'm not interested myself but supposedly there are people from high walks of life in Ireland participating. Wasn't there some Irish government officials members of them in the 1990s ?

You get a new hammer, I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is there an insurance aspect to membership - i.e. are contributions collected so your wife/kids are looked after upon your death? And if so, is this viewed as part of the charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

People seem to have a very negative, or suspicious, view of the Masons. It’s just an “organisation” like any other, with a heavy focus on charitable works, respect and integrity.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They keep the metric system down and control the British crown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Now let's all get drunk and play ping pong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

You can go in and have a look around the headquarters in Dublin (at least pre-Covid).

Went in for a look to see if there was anything mad. Just seems like a bunch of lads who are very proud of their charity work. They have some weird ceremonies and robes and stuff, but they're not really that secretive, the guy at the door showed us around and told us all the craic. Was pretty interesting actually

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Covid19 wrote: »
    I'm a Mason, based in the West of Ireland. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Some of the posts here are hilarious! Especially the Black Bean post.

On a serious note, it's a tough time in The Craft at the moment as, due to Covid Restrictions, our charitable donations are suffering and, by extension, the charities.

Plus, many of our elderly members have lost their possibly only social outlet. Think of it as a Mens Shed with esoteric flavouring. We try to help as many as we can, from a distance. Please keep an eye on elderly neighbours living alone. It's a scary time for them.

Who is the highest ranked freemason in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I think you should consider doing an AMA about the Freemasons. I'm sure you would get a lot of interesting questions and views. Contact the Admin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You can go in and have a look around the headquarters in Dublin (at least pre-Covid).

Went in for a look to see if there was anything mad. Just seems like a bunch of lads who are very proud of their charity work. They have some weird ceremonies and robes and stuff, but they're not really that secretive, the guy at the door showed us around and told us all the craic. Was pretty interesting actually

Worst secret organisation ever. They show you around the place, tell you what all the symbols etc mean, answer all your questions, and are dead keen for you to ask if you can become a member. It’s just a bunch of mostly old, mostly Protestant guys being charitable and extolling the virtues of self-improvement, charity, and integrity.

Hugely disappointing.

Worst secret organisation ever. They show you around the place, tell you what all the symbols etc mean, answer all your questions, and are dead keen for you to ask if you can become a member. It’s just a bunch of mostly old, mostly Protestant guys being charitable and extolling the virtues of self-improvement, charity, and integrity.

Hugely disappointing.

That's what they want you to think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Some of them are ok.
    I got one who built stone wall at the front of my house for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

dennyire wrote: »
    Some of them are ok.
    I got one who built stone wall at the front of my house for nothing

A friend of mine is member, hes only 5 foot tall ,so hes a masionette .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

How are the masons set up? I've watched some of theses youtube clips and had difficulty separating fact from fiction.

Is the bit about the 33rd degree masons true or is that a spoof?

How are the masons set up? I've watched some of theses youtube clips and had difficulty separating fact from fiction.

Is the bit about the 33rd degree masons true or is that a spoof?

We dont know! The rites go back beyond the mist of time. The first Lodges in Ireland, England and Scotland appeared 300 years ago.

Is which bit about the 33rd degree true? I have heard many things about it, be more specific.

The internet is the worst place to go to do research about it. You will get answers at either pole. It is either the greatest movement of fraternal love for the advancement of mankind in the world or it is hiding a greater agenda to dominate and enslave the world through banking and other means.

Neither case is true, it lies in between. 2B1Ask1. Hang around with a few of them if you want to join. It maybe for you, it may not be for you.

Hugely disappointing.

Clearly it is not an organisation for you. It is not for everyone and nor should it be.

Jim Corr hates them so they are alright in my book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Those who say they are aren't those who are don't say they are.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Those who say they are aren't those who are don't say they are.

That policy has changed in recent years just to debunk it. Many brethren are open about their membership.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Jim Corr hates them so they are alright in my book

Jim Corr refers to all fraternities as Freemasons. Last count there were over 600 in the world. No I cannot name all of them. A few of them would be grand Lodge, Grand Orient, P2, Andeluvian, Orange Order, Buffalos, Prince Hall, Muslim Brotherhood, order of Elkes, Odd fellows, Knights of Columbus, Knights of Columbanus, Ancient Order of Hibernians...... and the list goes on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Up Donegal wrote: »
    I think you should consider doing an AMA about the Freemasons. I'm sure you would get a lot of interesting questions and views. Contact the Admin team.

I don’t think that’s “advisable” really. There’s just not that much to say beyond the charitable works. No real need for an AMA.

Just my two cents.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement