Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It was not a bible. It may have looked like a bible, it may have read like a bible but it was not a bible. When you come in you get told what that book really is and what it stands for. There are more intricate parts to just observing the book as just a bible. I wont be discussing anymore what the book is or what it represents or how it is used.

It is a bible and it isn't a bible. So now we are into familiar territory for most Irish people - "it is bread, but it is now the body of a jewish lad executed by Romans 2000 years back".

Either way - it is text that relates to a particular revealed religion from a particular part of the world. Squaring that with simply demanding that members believe in a supreme being and can otherwise by a Hindu or Muslim, I don't think that is on the level. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

jimgoose wrote: »
    ^^^
    This, essentially. Woman had a couple of uncles Masons in the old days. They're all getting old nowadays, and interest in the organization is waning.

Interest is waning in many organisations, sports, social clubs, youth development, hobbies and what not. People are just lazy and want to just netflixs and chill. Then they say there is nothing to do.

topper75 wrote: »
    It is a bible and it isn't a bible. So now we are into familiar territory for most Irish people - "it is bread, but it is now the body of a jewish lad executed by Romans 2000 years back".

Either way - it is text that relates to a particular revealed religion from a particular part of the world. Squaring that with simply demanding that members believe in a supreme being and can otherwise by a Hindu or Muslim, I don't think that is on the level. :D

and neither should you have to. Its not for you simple as, dont bother yourself with these trivialities which book is on the table and be on your way. The Book on the table is the predominant religion of that lodge or the country which it sits in. Should you be in Israel it would be the Torah or should you be east of Turkey it would be the Quran.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

This is just one of the reasons why there should be no AMA. How can anyone take such insulting nonsense seriously? Will just be filled with ridiculous “attacks”. People are, generally, fearful of things they don’t understand, or can’t comprehend.

Another reason is that any serious questions answered will just bore users. If anyone has any questions about the Order I would urge you to “check out” the official website http://www.freemason.ie

Those with an “inquisitive” mind, and pure of heart, will find it both interesting and informative.
    Will you stop trying to put the kaibosh on the AMA :mad:

We haven't had one in like half a year.
    If you know the AMA format you know that it is as much about the person themselves as it is the job they do or whatever, so they are never boring imo.
    You never answered what degree you are Emmet.

Skooter, Emmet, IAMAMORON and Covid tell us what degree you are please and the whoever is the highest can do AMA.

Or if you would prefer to do it anonymous just PM Niamh and she will set it all up and give you a temporary username.

edit: Emmet if you decide to do it anonymously lay off the "quotation marks" or you will give yourself away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sounds like Scientology with all the levels and secrets.

What could be so great about these secrets anyway. Why does a group of auld farts dressing up get to be the bearers of universal wisdom.

Knights of Columbus is the proper place for Irish Catholics. Freemasons are mostly wannabe c of i

If you know the AMA format you know that it is as much about the person themselves as it is the job they do or whatever, so they are never boring imo.

Skooter, Emmet, IAMAMORON and Covid tell us what degree you are please and the whoever is the highest can do AMA.

I am not doing any AMA, so you can forget that, I am not getting a reprimand or being the focus of interest for any of the higher ups. I am not speaking for Molesworth Street, end of. If you want an AMA ask Molesworth street to send someone. As for my degree, all you need to know is I am at least a Master Mason.

I am not doing any AMA, so you can forget that, I am not getting a reprimand or being the focus of interest for any of the higher ups. I am not speaking for Molesworth Street, end of. If you want an AMA ask Molesworth street to send someone. As for my degree, all you need to know is I am at least a Master Mason.

Can you square a circle?

What degree is master?
    You can do it all anonymous if you like, Molesworth never has to know it was you.

Do they make you take an oath of silence or something when you sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What? I’m not a Mason, of any “degree”.

Just don’t think an AMA of one would be of any real interest and would end up being insulting to the Order.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I am not a member but several old schoolfriends, family and other associates are.

To be frank personally I am not into the secrets etc. But that is just me personally, I was previously asked to join and decided against it. I have no grudges or ill feeling towards them, or any club or society to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

What degree is master?
    You can do it all anonymous if you like, Molesworth never has to know it was you.

I'm not a mason, but have you thought of looking at their website? There's a button where you can apply to join, and someone will contact you to answer any questions.

I did a tour of the grand lodge on Molesworth St a few years ago. Fabulous building. Has stained glass windows designed by Harry Clarke's father. The tour guide was happy to answer any questions.

https://freemason.ie/about-freemasonry/

What degree is master?

If you are that interested, ask to join yourself. Go to the library. Find out about all the different kinds (Antediluvian orders Grand Lodge, Forresters, AoH, KoC and the OO are all in Ireland, Grand Orient are gone). 2B1Ask1.

semi-zombie thread resurrected to remind the world that we don't exist. Now stop asking stupid questions, whoever it was. :(

If you are that interested, ask to join yourself. Go to the library. Find out about all the different kinds (Antediluvian orders Grand Lodge, Forresters, AoH, KoC and the OO are all in Ireland, Grand Orient are gone). 2B1Ask1.
    No thanks. All the hush-hush stuff puts me right off.
    I like everything out in the open.

If I am in a club or something I want to be able to chat to my friends and family and tell them all about it, or do an AMA about if I want.

If I am in a club or something I want to be able to chat to my friends and family and tell them all about it, or do an AMA about if I want.

Glad that’s settled so. Maybe you could join a golf club and do an AMA yourself?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Glad that’s settled so. Maybe you could join a golf club and do an AMA yourself?
    Golf! You can file that idea somewhere dark :mad:

Loads of jobs have oaths of secrecy. The Defence Forces, St Vincent de Paul etc etc. How would you like it if I was down at the pub and your wife met with the Almoner and asked charity because you were out of work for 6 months and the children were starving? What happens in Lodge stays in Lodge. How would you like if your doctor was at poker night telling his mates your father had cancer and heart problems and he could decide which would carry him first? Has your perspective changed now on secrecy?

You also need to remember the History of Mason in Europe and how they were targeted by Fascist in Spain and Nazis in Germany.

One woman on the tour I did kept asking if they published a list of current members. I'm not entirely sure that any club or society does this. Certainly the tennis club I'm in doesn't, nor does the RDS.

Speedsie wrote: »
    One woman on the tour I did kept asking if they published a list of current members. I'm not entirely sure that any club or society does this. Certainly the tennis club I'm in doesn't, nor does the RDS.

I have been over in the Province of Warwickshire in the UK they had a manual 2cm thick of names and photos of officers but there are 15,000 members in and around Birmingham. They used to 60,000 back in the 1960's when my Dad was there. They were all Christians and Sikhs.

• Advertisement

You could contact your tennis club and they will tell you who is chairman, treasurer etc. You can sit in on meetings too and they keep minutes.
    Why can't the masons tell you who the top man in the country is, or do they not get told who he is.

Loads of jobs have oaths of secrecy. The Defence Forces, St Vincent de Paul etc etc. How would you like it if I was down at the pub and your wife met with the Almoner and asked charity because you were out of work for 6 months and the children were starving? What happens in Lodge stays in Lodge. How would you like if your doctor was at poker night telling his mates your father had cancer and heart problems and he could decide which would carry him first? Has your perspective changed now on secrecy?

You also need to remember the History of Mason in Europe and how they were targeted by Fascist in Spain and Nazis in Germany.
    That is patient confidentiality, NDAs and national security, a whole other ball game.
    What secrets do you guys have that could be as important as that :confused:
    Is it that holy grail bloodline stuff, the Architect or what?

Why can't the masons tell you who the top man in the country is, or do they not get told who he is.

I am not sure who the Grand Master is, he passed away last year from Cancer and I havent been so busy with my own stuff to be bothered to take notice. Trust me I have enough going on in my own Lodge. We were going to do Charity events for Vision 20/20 a cycle race, a vintage car rally, a barbecue. Get new aprons, three new candidates to interview, 2 second degrees, and three third degrees are all on hold.

I also havent had a chance to visit Molesworth street last year. Then I am not attending Royal Arch and my application to the Knights is suspended due to covid. Why am I worried about the Grand Master when I have a full plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's always been alleged that freemasons are in charge of a secret "New World Order" that controls politics, society and commerce.

There is no doubt that many of America's Founding Fathers in 1776 were avowed freemasons. They were very secular and freethinking.

The other allegation is that they believe in a composite God from ancient civilisations like Judaism, Babylon and Egypt. Often believed to be the Devil.

Remarkably.... they are not allowed discuss religion or politics at their meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You could contact your tennis club and they will tell you who is chairman, treasurer etc. You can sit in on meetings too and they keep minutes.

https://freemason.ie/about-grand-lodge/grand-lodge-officers/

That is patient confidentiality, NDAs and national security, a whole other ball game.

You’re “interest” in the Freemasons seems to stretch beyond that of mild curiosity. It’s a little worrying.

Come on, have you never wondered how on Earth Steve Guttenberg is still working??

jimgoose wrote: »

Was just going to post that! All the senior officers published on line.
    But not regular members!

Still think the purple tin should pay a visit to Molesworth Street when Current restrictions lift.

Was just going to post that! All the senior officers published on line.
    But not regular members!

Still think the purple tin should pay a visit to Molesworth Street when Current restrictions lift.

https://www.bishopstownlawntennisclub.com/about-us/

Bishopstown Tennis Club doesn't publish a list of members on their website either - we think they might be developing a tacnuke for use against Togher. Wait a minute, I'm a member - no, we're not doing that. Much. :D

• Advertisement

I am not sure who the Grand Master is, he passed away last year from Cancer and I havent been so busy with my own stuff to be bothered to take notice. Trust me I have enough going on in my own Lodge. We were going to do Charity events for Vision 20/20 a cycle race, a vintage car rally, a barbecue. Get new aprons, three new candidates to interview, 2 second degrees, and three third degrees are all on hold.

I also havent had a chance to visit Molesworth street last year. Then I am not attending Royal Arch and my application to the Knights is suspended due to covid. Why am I worried about the Grand Master when I have a full plate?

Jeez you'd think you at least know who the grand master is!

Advertisement