Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

No, there is not, Tony Blair had all the Police masonic lodges disbanded. All senior civil servant have to declare if they are members of any masonic style orders (that also includes the OO as well as UGLE and such). In the old days the court clerk would have been a mason and would know not to let a Judge sit on a case where another mason was in the same lodge as him, so he could not be accused later of favouritism.

Wrong. It continues to be a problem. Plenty of articles in the press about it over the last few years. Try The Guardian for a start if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

3d4life wrote: »
    Anyone able to confirm / deny :

The Bewleys hotel between the Brit embassy and the RDS used to be Masonic girls school ?

Another charitable “endeavour”, a school for orphaned girls. Promoting public education and looking out for those in need.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That is easy to prove, Contact Molesworth street and ask them to suggest someone.

So you're suggesting Boards.ie contacts "Molesworth street" to verify posters here lol. Not sure it works like that tbh.

Any particular address on Molesworth Street you suggest they contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

Thanks Oglaigh84.

I have a recollection that there was a Boys school too but for the life of me I cant think where it might have been.

Any ideas ?

Probably thinking of Richview in clonskeagh, now part of UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭3d4life

gozunda wrote: »
    ....Any particular address on Molesworth Street you suggest they contact?

:confused:

First result returned by the search engine that Quack-Quacks

http://www.irishmasonichistory.com/freemasons-hall-dublin.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Wrong. It continues to be a problem. Plenty of articles in the press about it over the last few years. Try The Guardian for a start if you're interested.

Read the article and it is very biased. The author has a bias against the secrecy. The secrecy is there to protect its members, remember not so long ago Hitler sent 80,000 German GL members to concentration camps and gave their children to childless Nazi party members?

So you're suggesting Boards.ie contacts "Molesworth street" to verify posters here lol. Not sure it works like that tbh.

Any particular address on Molesworth Street you suggest they contact?

I am sure addressing an envelope the GLI, Molesworth Street, Dublin 1 will get there.. The GLI will send their own representative.

:confused:

First result returned by the search engine that Quack-Quacks

http://www.irishmasonichistory.com/freemasons-hall-dublin.html

well its a bit rich saying contact "Molesworth street" - that's an entire street :D

Tbh the recent comment on this thread and the same in IMHO / CA by the same poster are starting to look like a recruitment drive
    I am sure addressing an envelope the GLI, Molesworth Street, Dublin 1 will get there.. The GLI will send their own representative.

"Envelope" - "Send their own representative" - Do they not have the internet? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

how does someone progress through the ranks as a freemason?

Attendance, Learning rites, volunteering for duties. Same as any other organisation. Show up, do stuff and be of good character. No big secrets.

• Advertisement

Try The Guardian for a start if you're interested.

Caught me a right bunny boiler here with proper daddy issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/05/freemasons-masons

She thinks she would not be accepted because she is a catholic, that is false. She thinks she would not be accepted because she is a woman that is false, there is an order called the Eastern Star for lady masons.

I can tell you she would not gain entry because she is not coming to freemasonry with an unbaised heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭3d4life

..."Envelope" - "Send their own representative" - Do they not have the internet? :pac:

Didnt I just post a link to their web site for you.

:cool:

Gozunda has no interest in joining just making a mockery of it. Dont feed the troll.

Well I was replying to this as detailed above ...

am sure addressing an envelope the GLI, Molesworth Street, Dublin 1 will get there.. The GLI will send their own representative.

I'm assuming that suggesting we should submit any queries and potential AMA questions by snail mail :cool:

It also helps if you start young. Normal men can join at 21. De Molays can join at 18. I like candidates to be 26 or over. Characters appear more clearer after that age.

Gozunda has no interest in joining just making a mockery of it. Dont feed the troll.

No not at all. This is AH btw or are you now suggesting that asking questions is not allowed?

Sorry if I don't meet your very high 'joining' criteria :D

Though I think this may be relevant ...
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Groucho Marx

That said- referring to people as "trolls" is not an acceptable thing in this club afaik ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

"The Catholic Church's current norm on Masonic associations is the 1983 CDF Declaration on Masonic associations.[90][p] The 1983 CDF declaration states that Catholics "who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion."[6]"

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Some lovely PR work for the masons going on here. No doubt a few posters are members themselves. A secretive clandestine organisation whose higher orders hold influential positions in society, what could possibly go wrong?! This is actually a real problem in the UK judiciary and police force where members who are masons are involved in corruption, cronyism and the obstruction of reforms due to their divided loyalties.

I was actually approached to join the masons years ago but declined. Not something I would want to be attached to.

Can't speak for the Freemasons but the Rosicrucians would be dead against having your hand in your pants. Not cool. Dissipates the psychic energy.

"The Catholic Church's current norm on Masonic associations is the 1983 CDF Declaration on Masonic associations.[90][p] The 1983 CDF declaration states that Catholics "who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion."[6]"

You will find there are as many Catholics as Protestants inside in Grand Lodge, even know some pagans and wiccans. You would be surprised who you meet inside. Does that declaration also cover the KoC and AoH as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ooh that's the most masony thing said ont his thread so far

When all things that you see, see you with love, soon all things that you love, will you see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Instead I became a member of the Union of European Federalists (Union der Europäischen Föderalisten). This is an organisation advocating for a united, democratic federalist Europe. It's not a secret society, but is a far more useless use of my time as I believer a United Europe is critical if we are to address some of the major challenges facing the continent.

So we'll have scorching hot summers too? About time. Make it so fedaralists. If you can pull it off - my concession will be rolling my watch forward an hour.

topper75 wrote: »
    So we'll have scorching hot summers too? About time. Make it so fedaralists. If you can pull it off - my concession will be rolling my watch forward an hour.

I dunno but this federalist thing seems to be big with some interests. I find it just a bit close to the whole Thousand year Reich thing tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Caught me a right bunny boiler here with proper daddy issues.

Wow, you are really not doing any favours to the perception of its attitude to women, never mind calling people trolls. That’s a pretty nasty way of diminishing the article because it was written by a woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You will find there are as many Catholics as Protestants inside in Grand Lodge, even know some pagans and wiccans. You would be surprised who you meet inside. Does that declaration also cover the KoC and AoH as well?

Jews, Muslims and other religious orgs also.

The defining belief principle is that there is one overall powerful being, i think the all seeing eye or somthing similar, but there is no membership rules based on religious faith.

The RCC ban everyrhing they have no authority over, but they have a substantial membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I dunno but thus federalist thing seems to be big with some interests. I find it just a bit close to the whole Thousand year Reich thing tbh ...

Yeah I was just throwing AvB's 'joke' back over the wall. In serious terms, there are insidious forces trying to use a worthwhile trading block as some kind of supranational longer term project. Worth noting that plenty of non-Germans with this sick fantasy too. They will sneakily try to equate respect for other nations with the desire to be governed by them. Wrong. Homogenisation would destroy the very thing that makes Europe the continent interesting and vibrant.
    IAMAMORON wrote: »

The defining belief principle is that there is one overall powerful being, i think the all seeing eye or somthing similar, but there is no membership rules based on religious faith. ...

They say this.
    But when I visited a lodge during Culture Week, they explained how a bible is always open on the table during ceremonies. I asked how this sat with the 'all religions' principle and got a wishy-washy answer. I may as well have been asking him what the handshake is.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

The defining belief principle is that there is one overall powerful being, i think the all seeing eye or somthing similar, but there is no membership rules based on religious faith.

The RCC ban everyrhing they have no authority over, but they have a substantial membership.

Some jews, very very few muslims. Only met one in my time. We welcome most but it helps to have an underlying faith. The RRC has softened it position on the GL over the years. I cannot speak for other organisations.

QueenRizla wrote: »
    Wow, you are really not doing any favours to the perception of its attitude to women, never mind calling people trolls. That’s a pretty nasty way of diminishing the article because it was written by a woman.

It has nothing to do with her being a woman its with the pre concieved attitudes she holds. She is a woman with no respect for culture, faith or heritage because she has none of her own, so she wants to wreck everyone elses. Those people we can do without. I would say the same if a man wrote the article and suggest there were a few extra black beans in the ballot the night he was nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

branie2 wrote: »
    The Dan Brown novel, the Lost Symbol, provided an interesting look on Freemasonry.

This is just one of the reasons why there should be no AMA. How can anyone take such insulting nonsense seriously? Will just be filled with ridiculous “attacks”. People are, generally, fearful of things they don’t understand, or can’t comprehend.

Another reason is that any serious questions answered will just bore users. If anyone has any questions about the Order I would urge you to “check out” the official website http://www.freemason.ie

Those with an “inquisitive” mind, and pure of heart, will find it both interesting and informative.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

topper75 wrote: »
    They say this.
    But when I visited a lodge during Culture Week, they explained how a bible is always open on the table during ceremonies. I asked how this sat with the 'all religions' principle and got a wishy-washy answer. I may as well have been asking him what the handshake is.

It was not a bible. It may have looked like a bible, it may have read like a bible but it was not a bible. When you come in you get told what that book really is and what it stands for. There are more intricate parts to just observing the book as just a bible. I wont be discussing anymore what the book is or what it represents or how it is used.

If you think Masonry is just about handshakes and tea and cakes afterwards you are much mistaken. There is a history, culture and heritage to it. Like I said it is not for everyone and neither should it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

BDI wrote: »
    Decent chaps. They do charity without looking for Facebook likes.
    Might help each other out when it comes to business opportunities but mainly social and charitable and classy.
    If you hear of an anonymous donation or act of some kind there’s a good chance it was George Michael or a Freemason.

^^^
    This, essentially. Woman had a couple of uncles Masons in the old days. They're all getting old nowadays, and interest in the organization is waning.

Advertisement