Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car jacker killed in Dublin crash ***mod note first post: read before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah i agree, so why are the state failing to act, why dont they take it upon themselves to sort it out as best as possible? We have been debating this for years / decades, I predict we will be going so for a long long time, if not indefinitely...

The failure to act in any realistic way is because no one in the State agencies has to put up with this behaviour on a day to day basis.

Same with judges and ridiculous sentencing.

If the leafy suburbs were awash with carjackings, rape, burglary, assault, scumbaggery, I think things would be different.

Not that I want that to happen to anyone, just a dose of reality might be good for them, and us ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well its all of us, whos taxes have to pay to get that mess cleaned up and pole repaired. Who feels sorry for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I have no sympathy, they chose to hijack the taxi and take it on a joyride.

I think it is too easy to opt-out of normal societal behavior in Ireland. People choose bad lifestyles and society just accepts it. They can spend their life on the dole and engage in petty crime and they are never forced to be like the rest of us and act responsibly.

I hear people say we have a lack of facilities and the state wont pay for improvement programs in troubled communities and that makes me angry. We have it pretty good here. We are overrun with clubs and societies of all kinds. GAA, Soccer, Youth clubs, boxing etc. We have plenty to help veer wayward teens back on to the path of responsibility.

And as adults we have a pretty decent social protection service. The rates aren't great, but the support and training services are pretty decent. If you want do do something with your life the sate will actually help you.

As for his family. I'll have sympathy for them until they claim he was a good lad corrupted by bad influences or some such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

The failure to act in any realistic way is because no one in the State agencies has to put up with this behaviour on a day to day basis.

Same with judges and ridiculous sentencing.

If the leafy suburbs were awash with carjackings, rape, burglary, assault, scumbaggery, I think things would be different.

Not that I want that to happen to anyone, just a dose of reality might be good for them, and us ultimately.

Guards are getting pretty pissed off on the ground about the revolving door that is the judicial system. But there are solutions.
    I was very interested to read about a recent initiative taken by a bunch of young Guards on the beat to combat the problem of dealers and junkies in the city center. They were tired of arresting the same guys for dealing over and over and frequently seeing then back on their same corners within hours of arresting them, so they instituted something called 'station bail'. They would seize any cash the dealers had on them and other property as evidence. That property was generally the dealers mobile phone which was retained to be searched for evidence of dealing.
    It soon had a dramatic effect, loosing their phone effectivey put the dealers out of business, customers couldn't call them until they had a new established number, so the Guards were effectively disrupting their business and creating such inconvenience for them that 400 dealers have departed the city center because it was becoming too much hassle for them to conduct business there.

There's a lesson in that story, give the power to deal with the problem to those that know how to solve it, premit initatives by those at the coal face of the problem and you'll see results. Leave the problem in the hands of the courts and bureaucrats and all you get is the same failed solutions to an ever growing problem

conorhal wrote: »
    Guards are getting pretty pissed off on the ground about the revolving door that is the judicial system. But there are solutions.
    I was very interested to read about a recent initiative taken by a bunch of young Guards on the beat to combat the problem of dealers and junkies in the city center. They were tired of arresting the same guys for dealing over and over and frequently seeing then back on their same corners within hours of arresting them, so they instituted something called 'station bail'. They would seize any cash the dealers had on them and other property as evidence. That property was generally the dealers mobile phone which was retained to be searched for evidence of dealing.
    It soon had a dramatic effect, loosing their phone effectivey put the dealers out of business, customers couldn't call them until they had a new established number, so the Guards were effectively disrupting their business and creating such inconvenience for them that 400 dealers have departed the city center because it was becoming too much hassle for them to conduct business there.

There's a lesson in that story, give the power to deal with the problem to those that know how to solve it, premit initatives by those at the coal face of the problem and you'll see results. Leave the problem in the hands of the courts and bureaucrats and all you get is the same failed solutions to an ever growing problem
    Did they not know they could take phones as evidence before that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Plenty of people are born into bad families but made the right choices.

They do, thankfully it's not a guarantee of future problems.

But ask any prison guard or copper and they'll see that family connections are extremely common. And I don't know what can be done about that - take the kids off them maybe? But then we don't have a good track record as a State with that do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Poor Taxi driver, he'll be out of work for a few weeks while his insurance sorts this :( My condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Did they not know they could take phones as evidence before that?

I don't know, but perhaps the courts process to bail applicants differently or you need a court order to seize the phone, the article I read was a bit fuzzy on the details, perhaps they confescate the phone as a property asset to pay the dealers bail at the station rather then as evidence, which is perhaps a legal and beaurocratic minefield, you know how the law is.
    Basically though, some young guards saw a simple initative that they could implement to disrupt the dealers and did it themselves which I aplaud. I'd be happy to see policing policy lead from the ground up by those at the coal face because it's the cops on the street that would tell you pretty quickly how easily some 'intractable problems' could be solved if common sense was permitted to effect policing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm the Dublin version of The Punisher starring Dolph Lamppost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

When seen this in the news earlier, thought, great,..One less scumbag, that would otherwise be let off by our failed justice system.
    spurious wrote: »
    Presumably the driver will be done for manslaughter (at a minimum) since the death of the passenger occurred during the committing of a crime.

For which the sentence nowadays seems to be a few hundred hours community service.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 354 ✭✭pO1Neil

Well it's a very sad situation for the man's family & a tragic event all round.

Hopefully the tragic loss well be a warning to other potential car jackers & some good might come from this dark episode.

The word karma comes to mind.

Only if your a blood thirsty revengeful maniac it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

The only tragedy here is that the driver walked out of the car! If you are a scumbag when you are alive, you are still a scumbag when you die.

Thoughts go out to the taxi driver who set out this morning to do an honest days work; unlike the other two gurriers!!

Bandara wrote: »
    Hope he died screaming

Seriously what type of sick twisted nutter are you? He was an idiot who stole a car, not a Nazi who killed six million by which the tone of your comment sounds like something you'd delight in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

f**k political correctness , probably another off the live register now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any word yet on the taxi? Write off?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

endacl wrote: »
    Any word yet on the taxi? Write off?

:(
    Pictures on the Sunday World website. There's nothing left of one side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I love they way everything is compared to the Nazis to try show it could have been worst.

Ah sure Hitler done worst, so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Ah sure Hitler done worst, so it's grand.
    Hitler wasn't so bad, I mean he did kill Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

And the truly sad news - an 8 year old boy died on a farm in the north yesterday and his father is fighting for his life.

That is tragic news.

The 2 scumbags who robbed that taxi deserve nothing in life, nothing at all. When i heard that one of them died, my first thought was, "good, that's another idiot taken away". The poor taxi man was out trying to make a living for himself and probably his family. Those other pair of gurriers wouldn't know a days work if it slapped them in the face. Wonder what the taxi man will do now for money while his car is off the road for repair or while he waits for his insurance to sort him out so he can replace the smashed one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

pO1Neil wrote: »
    Seriously what type of sick twisted nutter are you? He was an idiot who stole a car, not a Nazi who killed six million by which the tone of your comment sounds like something you'd delight in.
    Go on out and spend 30k of your own money on a car, have it fitted out with all the taxi kit at your own cost, and then be dragged out of it and battered at 8 o'clock on a sunday morning, all because some tramp of a b@stard wants to go on a rip with his mate in your car.
    Not only would I hope the same, I would be trying to find out what hospital his mate was in, and doing my best to pay him a 'visit'.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I would be trying to find out what hospital his mate was in, and doing my best to pay him a 'visit'.

What a charming post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I would be trying to find out what hospital his mate was in, and doing my best to pay him a 'visit'.

I shall smite him with my keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pictures on the Sunday World website. There's nothing left of one side of it.

Tragic. In the white heat of this thread it's so easy to lose sight of the fact that a perfectly good car was written off in the incident...

Remember people. There was a real loss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Hitler wasn't so bad, I mean he did kill Hitler.

Best post on boards this month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭trashcan

And Face Book is full of carp too.

Something very fishy about that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

are we going to have to pay for the pole to be returned to poland to be buiried ?????

endacl wrote: »
    Tragic. In the white heat of this thread it's so easy to lose sight of the fact that a perfectly good car was written off in the incident...

Remember people. There was a real loss here.

What or who, in your opinion, was the real loss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

hope it was the driver who survived, then the family of the other scumbag will probably kill him anyway for killing their son brother

ha ha ha ha ha ha natural selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

according to the papers he was a drug dealer whos favourite drug of choice was speed & Smack....

wonder what went through his mind at the moment of impact?

Advertisement