Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 4A - euro 179 on Vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Poco F3 is better in every way, by the looks of it:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10758&idPhone2=10123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Poco F3 is better in every way, by the looks of it:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10758&idPhone2=10123

I'd take the Pixel camera ahead of the Poco camera all day long and that's one of the big reasons for buying a Pixel. Spec sheets are great on paper but in real world use for most people these days there won't be a huge difference in performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

like all modern day phones the poco is too big for myself, really wish someone would tackle the compact market without being ridiculously over priced, it seems 6.5 is the standard phone size and its ridiculous

I dont see the Poco F3 on dxomark:
    https://www.dxomark.com/rankings/#smartphones

But ye, the camera on the Pixels is great. For reference, the 4a is better than the Huawei P20 Pro, and on par with the OnePlus 8T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fair play if you got it for 179. I have this and it's a brilliant little phone. Previously had the P20 Pro, before that a Redmi, but my dainty hands needed something smaller.
    The camera on the Pixel is absolutely brilliant, my partner has a new Xiaomi but the Pixel is much better. No idea what magical AI and software Google are using but the camera is something else, no need for all those additional lens. Otherwise the size is great and can be used with one hand. I would say that the P20 long exposure night mode is better, but I rarely if ever used that as you'd be needing a tripod and I ain't got no time for that. Nonetheless handheld night photos on the Pixel are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

But ye, the camera on the Pixels is great. For reference, the 4a is better than the Huawei P20 Pro, and on par with the OnePlus 8T.

I had the Huawei P20 Pro which for me was the 1st camera that was really exceptional. Wife then got Pixel 3A and instantly I preferred the picture quality, especially for portrait type photos of our kids (which is most of my photo's).
    I then upgraded to the P30 Pro and I've been underwhelmed with the camera (at least compared to Pixel 3A).

So definitely considering buying the 4A. Also the fact that it will continue to get free storage of high quality photos on google photos after June, when google start charging for storage is another big plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Anyone have issues completing purchase? after I enter my card details and process it crashed and then takes me to a 'this can't be found' site. I don't want to try it too many times incase it processes the card payment each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

manlad wrote: »
    Anyone have issues completing purchase? after I enter my card details and process it crashed and then takes me to a 'this can't be found' site. I don't want to try it too many times incase it processes the card payment each time.

Welcome to vodafone.ie, the single worst commerce website on the planet. IT IS AWFUL

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Wheety wrote: »
    It did with the 3A. People here saying it's unlocked so I presume it's the same here.

So we don't actually know if it's unlocked or not for sure? I'd like to buy this phone, but only if I know it'll work without a Vodafone sim.

• Advertisement

Just bought it there for €279. For the first first time in my life, I was actually able to buy something off the Vodafone site without hassle. I got payment completed first time, and I got an order number (although I'm still awaiting email confirmation).
    Now it did have the usual visual bugs, giving me wildly different prices, but underneath it all, it actually worked! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

I knew it couldnt have been easy they have gone and changed my sim only contract even though i was buying a new phone with new number ( I had no intention of using the number)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Just bought it there for €279. For the first first time in my life, I was actually able to buy something off the Vodafone site without hassle. I got payment completed first time, and I got an order number (although I'm still awaiting email confirmation).
    Now it did have the usual visual bugs, giving me wildly different prices, but underneath it all, it actually worked! :p

well i would contact them on chat to ensure they did not cancel it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

Welp, my order was never processed (??) and left open but has to be cancelled. I need to order again, but now there website isn't playing nice. No email confirmations for anything, chat transcript takes 30 days to get. Wow, I never knew Vodafone's site was such a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Vodafone.ie - great example of when IT outsourcing goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Same thing happened to me. Waited for the confirmation email ( still waiting 8 days later lol ). Sick of their chat ' technical glitch '. Had to contact my card issuer again for the umpteenth time and they told me the funds were on hold and never left my account.

• Advertisement

finally got the order placed via my phone, got a confirmation notification but no email. Followed up with their support and they said it didn't get placed successfully and that they would refund my money within 5 working days. What an absolute S**t show of a service. They can keep the phone.

I got the same as above but no email. After I followed up they said the order hasn't been placed successfully and they cancelled it. Money will be returned in 5 days.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Vodafone must have the worse online shop of all Irish Operators.
    That's quite something to go from the premium operator to the worst simply because your website is so bad.
    No point comparing the Pixel to other phones hardware and camera, you are buying it for stock android and the pixel camera software. No other phones have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Two open orders cancelled now. Waiting for hold to come off my account. Should I try one more time....

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I was talking to a representative via the website's chat feature. He stated that the phone is locked to Vodafone, and an unlock code must be requested. The phone needs to be used for 2-3 days, and a minimum top-up of €5.00 to be eligible for the unlocking code. The code will then be sent within 20 working days.

• Advertisement

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I was talking to a representative via the website's chat feature. He stated that the phone is locked to Vodafone, and an unlock code must be requested. The phone needs to be used for 2-3 days, and a minimum top-up of €5.00 to be eligible for the unlocking code. The code will then be sent within 20 working days.

I've never heard of a locked Google pixel phone

Representatives also said that about the 3A and it wasn't true. I'm sure they're told to say that about all of their phones.

My old Pixel 3 was locked to EE when I lived in the UK. And Google even has a page about sim-locked Pixel phones.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7107188?hl=en

Another failed order. Might just give up on this now, what a poor excuse of a commerce website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Cheers OP just got it for 179 perfect timing as my 3 year old Samsung gave up the ghost yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Cheers OP just got it for 179 perfect timing as my 3 year old Samsung gave up the ghost yesterday

How and proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

BanditLuke wrote: »

Strange how you're the only one who managed to get it, just been on again and its still at 279!

Wow, that's some going if you spoofed it for €179. I can't even buy it in incognito with a new number for €100 more!

bromley52 wrote: »

How and proof.

That poster is a known spoofer, I would just ignore him.

carbsy wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. Waited for the confirmation email ( still waiting 8 days later lol ). Sick of their chat ' technical glitch '. Had to contact my card issuer again for the umpteenth time and they told me the funds were on hold and never left my account.

Oops, yes it was cancelled. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Oops, yes it was cancelled. :D:D:D

Disaster aren't they? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I've never known a Vodafone sales rep to speak the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Representatives also said that about the 3A and it wasn't true. I'm sure they're told to say that about all of their phones.

Yeah they gave me that spiel about the 3A when I bought one and I knew it was false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I don't need this hassle in my life. I'm out.

In the 3A thread, there was links to check your order status. Does anyone have those links handy, before I go searching in the old thread?

EDIT: This is one: http://www.fonua.com/orderstatus
    I think theres another one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

The thread title should be changed to €279?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

long_b wrote: »
    The thread title should be changed to €279?

I live in hope and have a 48 SIM on the way for when that day arrives.

bromley52 wrote: »
    I live in hope and have a 48 SIM on the way for when that day arrives.

48 SIM ( Tesco / Three ) didn't work for me...

Wasnt going through the same crap as last year. Drove up to the local vodafone shop and just bought the phone. €279.

Its smaller than the 3a...

• Advertisement

Wasnt going through the same crap as last year. Drove up to the local vodafone shop and just bought the phone. €279.

Its smaller than the 3a...

A bigger screen though as the bezel is smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

my GF has the phone and it's nice but the lack of a back button annoys me. why they always changing stuff that isn't broke, the back button was perfect as it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

my GF has the phone and it's nice but the lack of a back button annoys me. why they always changing stuff that isn't broke, the back button was perfect as it was

You can add that back in the setting
    Also, once you get used to gestures, it's intuitive but I can see how it can be annoying if you are not used to it

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6073614?hl=en

I dislike the gestures as well but I'll give them a shot, as everything is moving that way and I'll have to learn it at some stage!

So, I wanna make sure I don't drop this and smash it like my 3a. Can anyone recommend me a nice case that isn't too bulky? I usually leave phones as is, but I've dropped the last couple so I've learnt my lesson now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I hated them. I love them now, buttons seem so inconvenient once you give the gestures a bit of time to sink in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

welp. thanks for that. GF is delighted for that now, we both didn't like the gestures. That was my only minus against the phone, I'm gonna try and order now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Save yourselves the stress lads and buy in store. Same price and your done in 5 minutes. It's a nice upgrade from the 3a.

will wait for an eventual deal on the 4a 5g I think

bigger upgrade on the cpu, camera and battery size

I dislike the gestures as well but I'll give them a shot, as everything is moving that way and I'll have to learn it at some stage!

So, I wanna make sure I don't drop this and smash it like my 3a. Can anyone recommend me a nice case that isn't too bulky? I usually leave phones as is, but I've dropped the last couple so I've learnt my lesson now.

this type of case is a good compromise between protection from falls on a flat surface and not totally covering up the phone

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iBetter-Google-pixel-4a-Anti-Scratch-Ultra-Thin-Smartphone-Black/dp/B085NFJHF7/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=pixel+4a+case&qid=1618142412&sr=8-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ush1 wrote: »
    Save yourselves the stress lads and buy in store. Same price and your done in 5 minutes. It's a nice upgrade from the 3a.
    At €179 or €279?

• Advertisement
Advertisement