Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope, just the PSP.

Stetching anything out to 16:9 without a proper conversion is criminal. They did the same to Breath of Fire 3 and Valkyrie Profile and made two of the most gorgeous looking PS1 games ugly and filled with fat bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Powerstone, rather than the bloated sequel, just such a superb game.
    I know they rereleased it on the PSP, but they stretched it out to 16:9 and it looked terrible.
    Did they do a decent port to anything else?
    Really, because I'm sure the aspect ratio is scaled properly for 16:9 and not stretched.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Really, because I'm sure the aspect ratio is scaled properly for 16:9 and not stretched.

Nope...
    This is the DC original

PSP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm putting together a bit of a PC at the moment and was going to nab a 3600X to lash in it, was thinking that the prices would have started coming down by now.

Seems the opposite is happening :confused: should have bought one a few months ago when they were a good bit cheaper.

I take it there are supply shortages going on due to Covid and all the rest. Anyone in the know have any advice? (was maybe hoping on a Black Friday deal on amazon)

Did you get a CPU in the end? I don't think there's much between the 3600 and 3600X apart from a small overclock that you could do yourself and a slightly better cooler - but I wouldn't use either stock cooler anyway (better off with a Scythe or Noctua depending on your budget). I built a medium spec PC recently and was originally going to get a 3600 but got lucky and nabbed a 5600X instead. Either 3600 or 3600X are great whatever is available these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Did you get a CPU in the end? I don't think there's much between the 3600 and 3600X apart from a small overclock that you could do yourself and a slightly better cooler - but I wouldn't use either stock cooler anyway (better off with a Scythe or Noctua depending on your budget). I built a medium spec PC recently and was originally going to get a 3600 but got lucky and nabbed a 5600X instead. Either 3600 or 3600X are great whatever is available these days.

Not yet unfortunately! Was going to today but the 3600 and 3600x seem to both be sold out on Amazon. Was mulling over whether to buy one from PC World but they're a bit more expensive again. Might have to go that route in the end.

Yeah I bought a Noctua NH-U12S for it alright so that's all good to go, been running it a different machine with a Corsair RM750 and the thing is so quiet I sometimes don't know if it's or or off when it's in standby mode. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not yet unfortunately! Was going to today but the 3600 and 3600x seem to both be sold out on Amazon. Was mulling over whether to buy one from PC World but they're a bit more expensive again. Might have to go that route in the end.

Yeah I bought a Noctua NH-U12S for it alright so that's all good to go, been running it a different machine with a Corsair RM750 and the thing is so quiet I sometimes don't know if it's or or off when it's in standby mode. :D

Nice on the Noctua. :)

I'd get it off scan.co.uk or cclonline.com before currys tbh.

3600X - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-5-3600xt-am4-zen-2-6-core-12-thread-38ghz-45ghz-turbo-32mb-l3-pcie-40-95w

3600 - https://www.cclonline.com/product/287401/100-100000031BOX/CPU-Processors/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-3-6GHz-Hexa-Core-Processor-with-6-Cores-12-Threads-65W-TDP-36MB-Cache-4-2GHz-Turbo-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/CPU0601/

I ordered a load of parts from scan and their DPD delivery is nice and quick. Hoping ccl is the same as I'm about to order a monitor from them today. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently my Game & Watch Mario Bros edition is officially lost in transit, so they are sending me another.
    They tell me the tracking system indicates that it is still in the Roy Mail postal network... just no one is sure where.
    Who knows, my grandchildren are likely to have a nice surprise in 50 years time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Post has been starting to get messy. To be fair nothing has been delayed this far into November which is great. Selling my Xbox One S into CeX and that's been at AnPost's hub since Monday. Had a DPD parcel get misdirected to the Midlands but fortunately still arrived today, DPD have been savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Master of the Universe

Wow!

I love how nonchalantly he brings it up in the talk, holds it there for a matter of seconds and then moves on as if nothing just happened.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Wow!

I love how nonchalantly he brings it up in the talk, holds it there for a matter of seconds and then moves on as if nothing just happened.

:eek:

Can you imagine the stuff you'd find hidden in the dark corners of Sega and Nintendo r&d?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Commodore 65 dev kit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nice on the Noctua. :)

I'd get it off scan.co.uk or cclonline.com before currys tbh.

3600X - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-5-3600xt-am4-zen-2-6-core-12-thread-38ghz-45ghz-turbo-32mb-l3-pcie-40-95w

3600 - https://www.cclonline.com/product/287401/100-100000031BOX/CPU-Processors/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-3-6GHz-Hexa-Core-Processor-with-6-Cores-12-Threads-65W-TDP-36MB-Cache-4-2GHz-Turbo-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/CPU0601/

I ordered a load of parts from scan and their DPD delivery is nice and quick. Hoping ccl is the same as I'm about to order a monitor from them today. :D

Prices have gone mad! Earlier in the year you could get a 3600 for £152

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07STGGQ18

There seems to be a trend of kids wanting gaming pcs this year so I'd say that increased demand has pushed the prices and a lot of people like myself were holding out for Zen 4, so the Zen 3 prices would come down, then the opposite happens! :pac:

Looking to upgrade my Ryzen 5 1600 also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New gpus out as well so it's a good time to upgrade. I'm looking to upgrade myself and it's a good time for a total rebuild because of all the new tech. Intel finally being challenged, ray tracing, fast ram and nvme ssds. I can see why pc upgrades are popular.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Prices have gone mad! Earlier in the year you could get a 3600 for £152

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07STGGQ18

There seems to be a trend of kids wanting gaming pcs this year so I'd say that increased demand has pushed the prices and a lot of people like myself were holding out for Zen 4, so the Zen 3 prices would come down, then the opposite happens! :pac:

Looking to upgrade my Ryzen 5 1600 also.

Ended up spending 220 euro on a 3600XT. Yeah I should have nabbed a 3600 earlier in the year, a mate was convinced they were going to come down further in price so I waited. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

This is utterly not an A&R matter but I just want advice.
    I'm about to have a PS5 Digital edition delivered but I really need the disc based one.
    Without attracting the worst con merchants, what's going to be the best way to trade mine for one of the proper ones, plus the €100 in the difference?
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I went on to check my credit on DPD and saw this, didn't get an email about maybe others did, just wanted to post incase
    Due to BREXIT constraints our UK Virtual address will cease to operate from Friday, 11th December 2020
    [IMG]https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/DesktopModules/Inventise.DPD/Images/Image re PW webpage.png[/IMG]
    Please ensure that you remove this address from any retailer's address books
    If you are using the address prior to that date, check the lead times from the retailer before placing your order
    Any outstanding balances will be credited back to you by the end of January

I wonder if Parcel Motel will go the same way?
    Just as well I have a friend on the border, that's where my purchases will be going from now on

I wonder if Parcel Motel will go the same way?
    Just as well I have a friend on the border, that's where my purchases will be going from now on
    Was just chatting on Discord and someone saying UPS bought Parcel Motel few years ago so I'm not sure.
    Amazon seem to bring doing their own delivery now, dunno if it's prime only thing or what so that'll probably be grand.
    I buy second hand clothes so always using DPD for that so pretty bummed.

• Advertisement

I can see my buying habits flipping to EU sellers, take the shipping hit rather than buggering about with customs

I can see my buying habits flipping to EU sellers, take the shipping hit rather than buggering about with customs
    I'll probably do the same for games but dunno what I'll do thrifting wise, maybe ebay will hopefully have a "only eu" selection or something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Inviere

This is utterly not an A&R matter but I just want advice.
    I'm about to have a PS5 Digital edition delivered but I really need the disc based one.
    Without attracting the worst con merchants, what's going to be the best way to trade mine for one of the proper ones, plus the €100 in the difference?
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Demand for them is seriously high, so the white hat approach here would be to sell the digital one for what it cost, and park the money for when you can get a disc based one whenever that'll be.

Inviere wrote: »
    Demand for them is seriously high, so the white hat approach here would be to sell the digital one for what it cost, and park the money for when you can get a disc based one whenever that'll be.

My "plan" (if I indeed have ever formed a successful plan, which is uncertain at best) is for Cidonalad to enjoy the digital PS5 for now and when the PS5 is finally available for realsies I will sell it and buy the disc one, probably take a small hit for the digital PS5 being pre-owned and the extra €100 as is demanded by the Sony gods for the console with more points of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Was just chatting on Discord and someone saying UPS bought Parcel Motel few years ago so I'm not sure.
    Amazon seem to bring doing their own delivery now, dunno if it's prime only thing or what so that'll probably be grand.
    I buy second hand clothes so always using DPD for that so pretty bummed.

Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon UK even started collecting the duty fee on purchase, such as like when dealing with Amazon US, seeing as how they have the delivery infrastructure in place now (at least in Dublin).
    Deal with the continent and get stung on delivery (or does Germany/France Prime give the free delivery ?)
    Either way........looks like getting stuff is gonna more expensive full stop.
    Certainly the recent US-EU tariff stuff that incorporated videogame consoles was a massive kick in the bollocks.

I've a couple of Vectrex bits incoming from the US, hope they don't get nobbled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

McDermotX wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon UK even started collecting the duty fee on purchase, such as like when dealing with Amazon US, seeing as how they have the delivery infrastructure in place now (at least in Dublin).
    Deal with the continent and get stung on delivery (or does Germany/France Prime give the free delivery ?)
    Certainly the recent US-EU tariff stuff that incorporated videogame consoles was a massive kick in the bollocks.

Indeed. Nothing is going to change wrt Amazon UK orders, they already remove UK VAT and apply Irish VAT to all orders originating from Ireland. Base will be the same. Zavvi have now set up an Irish portal so are finally applying Irish VAT and no longer subject to potential customs fees, they already operated outside the EU from the Channel Islands.

Aye. Might be a import duty involved over a certain amount though coming from the UK though in addition to the VAT rate though.
    Then factor in the handling charges that companies will bring in. Amazon on the continent even with the additional shipping will still work out cheaper in all likelihood (never mind being cheaper to begin with some of the time)

I've a couple of Vectrex bits incoming from the US, hope they don't get nobbled too.

Who knows, there's a long-winded boring list of items that got captured in that recent change, but I'm not even sure if PC components are affected by it TBH, but certainly consoles were specifically targetted.
    All it would need is a shipper to specify the word 'console' and there could be a extra 25% on top of the duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

McDermotX wrote: »

What I've seen is the Amazon warehouse in Dublin has come on line and they are directly contracting delivery folks now so not using AnPost for most orders. The rumour is also that Amazon have told folks who do the 'sold by X, stocked by Amazon' with their products, that they have to provide all customs docs for all items in the UK warehouses, so I guess the customs being added on with be the norm Jan21 onwards just like Amazon.com when shipping to Ireland.

Now, will they just have Amazon.ie go to a varient of Amazon.de/fr etc.?

eBay already has a location option of the 'European Union' so come January I'd expect that all UK listings just not show up. For the past year-ish, sellers had an option to be included in the international shipping program, which Ireland has been lumped into as a destination. Up until now its just cost more in terms of UK->IE shipments but January expect auto-magic customs/duty costs to be added to the eBay invoice :/

Advertisement