Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d be more concerned about the random anti Semitic slur in the description :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh pretty bad, Maybe Mel Gibson opened an adverts account. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watched a youtube documentary about Falcom during the weekend that was fascinating.

When it comes to JRPGs all most people know is Squaresoft and Enix but Falcom might have had a much bigger influence on videogames than either company.

They made one of the first successful RPGs in japan with dragon slayer which arrived around the same time as Black Onyx. A lot of their games get ignored in terms of their impact on history because they focused on the PC market for so long but they were massive sellers there.

However their biggest contribution is just the insane amount of talent that came from the company. Most of them went on to bigger and better things. Yuzo Koshiro and his sister got their start there. Lots of developers that started with Falcom left and formed the likes of Quintet or created games like Lunar and Grandia. The studio head of Monolith soft and creator of the Xenoblade games left Falcom to join square to create Xenogears. And Makoto Shinkai who has been creating some of the best feature length anime from japan in the last few years got his start creating the art and cinematics for Falcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A little update on the game room. Since it's a small room I'm conscious of anything being too in your face or looking too busy, these consoles are off to the side as you enter the room so not overbearing. I have one more shelf but I might just move the books elsewhere to fit the PS1.

I also got a smaller chair, nothing fancy but comfortable enough to sit in for some gaming sessions. The other one was too bulky for the middle of the room.

Next on the to-do list is wall mount the TV and other misc tidying up like trimming the foam speaker pads, cable management etc. I don't mind the slow progress as I don't want to do it all at once and have it then into a cluttered mess.

D8GJfVO.jpg

VONamJg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Game & Watch has shipped from Nintendo and GameStop today for those that had them pre-ordered. Looks like my GameStop one will arrive before the Nintendo UK order.
    Seems there's a language bug in the firmware(non upgradable?), but luckily English doesn't have the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Game & Watch has shipped from Nintendo and GameStop today for those that had them pre-ordered. Looks like my GameStop one will arrive before the Nintendo UK order.
    Seems there's a language bug in the firmware(non upgradable?), but luckily English doesn't have the issue.

No shipping notification for me so far from GameStop, but I did previously receive one 6 months after delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No shipping notification for me so far from GameStop, but I did previously receive one 6 months after delivery.

Nothing from Amazon UK so far either.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Shipped yesterday from Gamestop for myself, but still no sign of it having being scanned by An Post.
    Might show up before Xmas.

For those wondering about the guts of the new Game and Watch. It's running on an Arm Cortex M7 STM32H7B0: 280 MHz, 128 Kbytes of Flash, 1.4 Mbytes RAM.
    Battery is 3.7v 525mAh 1.9 Wh.

Not exactly beefy, but it doesn't need much to run what's on there I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

For those wondering about the guts of the new Game and Watch. It's running on an Arm Cortex M7 STM32H7B0: 280 MHz, 128 Kbytes of Flash, 1.4 Mbytes RAM.

So no chance of the Crysis port then ?

• Advertisement

So no chance of the Crysis port then ?

Probably have to reduce texture quality and resolution a bit to get it to run smoothly. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No room then for SMB2 and SMB3, pity...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No room then for SMB2 and SMB3, pity...

There's a separate flash chip in there according to some German video i just watched. Could be 4, 8 or 16MB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a separate flash chip in there according to some German video i just watched. Could be 4, 8 or 16MB.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

McDermotX wrote: »
    Shipped yesterday from Gamestop for myself, but still no sign of it having being scanned by An Post.
    Might show up before Xmas.

Showed up today, so I'll take back the might show up before Xmas. :P

Queue loads of people complaining about where their Gamestop Xboxes are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

McDermotX wrote: »
    Showed up today, so I'll take back the might show up before Xmas. :P

Queue loads of people complaining about where their Gamestop Xboxes are

Don't blame them, I don't know what possessed them to send big €500 consoles via mail and not courier.

My G&W will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Nintendo really should have built in some sort of stand on the new Game and Watch(as they have on the old retro versions). Anyway, I 3D printed a few simple stands from thingiverse and the below one works well and isn't too tight that it might damage the device.
    For those with a 3D printer: Link

2gmx05B.jpg

I don't have a 3d printer, I'll have to wait for the good people of AliExpress to turn one out! Should get my game and watch tomorrow if An Post and Amazon are true to their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Chip Tanaka / EP WORKS GAIDEN Digital Release is out, just got to have a listen to Karate Fight, it's pretty good as expected
    https://Caroline.lnk.to/wg4

If anyone has the new Game and Watch and doesn't have a 3D printer, I can print them up the below stand if they want it(in Prusa Carmine Red PETG or Prusa Galaxy Black PLA to keep it simple).
    No charge, just cover whatever the postage is(€1 probably). I'll leave it open until next Sunday(29th) and then post them off on the Monday or Tuesday.

As I said in another post, the stand is simple but works. It's not tight around the Game and Watch as it just sits in it rather than a friction fit. I'm sure if you want it to stay in there you could use blu tack or white tack or something like that.

AmaD7PG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Hi Steve, I bought 2x and would gladly pay you for 2x stands + postage if the offer is still open? No 3d printer here sadly.

Hi Steve, I bought 2x and would gladly pay you for 2x stands + postage if the offer is still open? No 3d printer here sadly.

Yeah no prob, I'll stick you down on the list for 2. Black or Red, or one of each?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

either is fine with me. Whatever is easiest for you Steve. thank again

New doodad available for the Virtual Boy, or at least on the way.
    It's a flash cart and very cool.
    Due to the limits of the system and scarcity of the parts a proper menu based multicart is very difficult, so this chap has made a single game cart with a programmer built in, controlled by a little touch screen built into the cart itself.
    A little pricey at $150 before shipping, it does seem amazing.
    https://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/hyperflash32/

Yeah no prob, I'll stick you down on the list for 2. Black or Red, or one of each?

Could I get one too please Steve? Either colour, whichever you think looks swankiest.

Hi Steve, I'd love one of them for my work desk, which ever is handiest, let me know and I'll PayPal the fundage

Could I get one too please Steve? Either colour, whichever you think looks swankiest.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hi Steve, I'd love one of them for my work desk, which ever is handiest, let me know and I'll PayPal the fundage

No probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Hey Steve,

I'd love to get 2 red ones. One for myself, and one as a pressie for a friend of mine who's made for displaying this sort of stuff in a nostalgic gaming shrine in his office.

Hey Steve,

I'd love to get 2 red ones. One for myself, and one as a pressie for a friend of mine who's made for displaying this sort of stuff in a nostalgic gaming shrine in his office.

No prob, added you to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Haven't bought a G&W, it would just be gathering dust for me, but that's a very sound gesture there Steve, fair play.

Advertisement