Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Doge

The source code for an unreleased Sega VR / Genesis title has been found, compiled and emulated using a HTC Vive.

The article here goes into too almost much detail:

https://gamehistory.org/segavr/

Here's a gameplay video:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sega’s official reason for cancelling their VR helmet was questionable: they claimed that the experience was so realistic and immersive that it posed a high risk of injury from players moving around while using it.

HAHAHA!

Oh Sega, you crack me up sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭geotrig

Can I grab one as well Steve? Any colour will do.

Mind boggles that the company so at pains to point out a stand on the switch would forgo it here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sega’s official reason for cancelling their VR helmet was questionable: they claimed that the experience was so realistic and immersive that it posed a high risk of injury from players moving around while using it.

HAHAHA!

But we were denied the chance to play VR Virtua Racing!

I miss the Sega forum, the mod was gas...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

geotrig wrote: »
    Can I grab one as well Steve? Any colour will do.

Mind boggles that the company so at pains to point out a stand on the switch would forgo it here

No prob, I'll put you on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Inviere

HAHAHA!

Consumer grade lcd tech of the time...can you imagine a VR Headset with x2 GameGear or Nomad level screens in it? Christ...

Lads with that Sega VR post I've had a flashback of a movie in the 90s i saw before.

A young black kid is playing either a Sega Genesis or Saturn and I presume it's with a lightgun (it's hardly a Sega VR?)

In the game on screen it shows him shooting a guy,
    And one day he stole his older brothers gun to shoot a guy in the hood that hassled or stole from him before.
    They show the game footage of him shooting a character in the game and sync it up with the actual shooting in the hood.

I think the young kid is on a bicycle too when he rolls up on his target.

Any ideas?

The actor may/ may not have been wearing a VR headset at home playing the game, I can't remember much more just have a vague memory of it. Its annoying me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Doge wrote: »
    Lads with that Sega VR post I've had a flashback of a movie in the 90s i saw before.

A young black kid is playing either a Sega Genesis or Saturn and I presume it's with a lightgun (it's hardly a Sega VR?)

In the game on screen it shows him shooting a guy,
    And one day he stole his older brothers gun to shoot a guy in the hood that hassled or stole from him before.
    They show the game footage of him shooting a character in the game and sync it up with the actual shooting in the hood.

I think the young kid is on a bicycle too when he rolls up on his target.

Any ideas?

Not sure about that, seems similar to how it was done in the awful House of the Dead movie.

This music video is pretty cute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

I love reading this thread but im newbie since early 90s..any advice guys please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

smurf492 wrote: »
    I love reading this thread but im newbie since early 90s..any advice guys please

Say goodbye to any of your disposable income and prepare to obsess over things like the size of scanlines.

Or just get retroarch and emulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Say goodbye to any of your disposable income and prepare to obsess over things like the size of scanlines.

And then obsess about the tweaking of emulation to the nth degree.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

And then obsess about the tweaking of emulation to the nth degree.

Discipline is needed whatever the approach really. It's very very easy to turn retro-gaming/collecting, from something that allows you to enjoy games, into something that takes over all of your time & money WITHOUT actually playing games.

From this/that rgb cable, to external scalers, & from this retroarch core, to how many shader passes, ad nauseum.

The main thing to remember is, less is more....& to make the time to play the games you like!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Buy a Super Nintendo or a Sega Megadrive and a couple of the games you liked, back in the day, and off you go.
    Perhaps check the TV you are going to play it on has a scart or phono ports (red, white and yellow) and you should be fine to start with
    There's lots of other things to buy to improve things but that's a great place to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I play mostly arcade games rather than console ones, so the mame software suits me on PCs, I have retroarch on my PS3. A few old classic games have been revamped with new graphics on a PS3. They can be "jailbroken" these days and you can do a lot with them, cheap enough to pick up second hand.

If you have old consoles you can get special cartridges for some of them and load games onto them via a sd/microsd card, so you are playing them on the original hardware. Some friends or family could well have old consoles they could give or loan you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Just go with emulation and play the games IMO. Find Retroarch a bit of a headache personally but there are loads of other emulators out there. Just check them out on Youtube and someone should have a tutorial explaining how to set them up. All you needs a half decent joypad really.

Master of the Universe

I'm putting together a bit of a PC at the moment and was going to nab a 3600X to lash in it, was thinking that the prices would have started coming down by now.

Seems the opposite is happening :confused: should have bought one a few months ago when they were a good bit cheaper.

I take it there are supply shortages going on due to Covid and all the rest. Anyone in the know have any advice? (was maybe hoping on a Black Friday deal on amazon)

Master of the Universe

Just go with emulation and play the games IMO. Find Retroarch a bit of a headache personally but there are loads of other emulators out there. Just check them out on Youtube and someone should have a tutorial explaining how to set them up. All you needs a half decent joypad really.

GTFO! :D

For me anyway, if I were to go emulator only, I probably wouldn't play any games ever.

I've had to fiddle around with a lot of consoles over the last few months to get them going, but you still can't beat the oul plug and play of a cart in a console.

Snes and a Megadrive, flash card in each and a 14 inch trini, gaming bliss and the footprint is still relatively small.

For me anyway, if I were to go emulator only, I probably wouldn't play any games ever.

Conversely, since switching to to emulation I've played more games than I ever did when collecting physically.

I've kept a few nice systems and games physically, but they're all but display pieces these days. The convenience of Launchbox that allows you to pick any game from any system you have set up, with nice intro vids, art, manuals, then the nice shaders in RetroArch....put it all together and it's a very polished, pretty, user friendly thing to use.

I would never say its superior to original hardware on a crt over RGB...but it's dammed close, and infinitely more convenient.

*Insert Mrs. Doyle "maybe I like the misery" pic

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah the trick really is the time it takes between going 'oooh I wouldn't mind playing a game' to actually playing it. I'd say you setup is absolutely fantastic for that.

Any fiddling about with things and sure the night is gone before you know it! (that's what she said etc etc :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

This isn't new but first time seeing it. Almost polished enough to be an arcade cabinet (pity there never was). Get it scaled down for crt and it could be a cool project :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    Conversely, since switching to to emulation I've played more games than I ever did when collecting physically.

I've kept a few nice systems and games physically, but they're all but display pieces these days. The convenience of Launchbox that allows you to pick any game from any system you have set up, with nice intro vids, art, manuals, then the nice shaders in RetroArch....put it all together and it's a very polished, pretty, user friendly thing to use.

I would never say its superior to original hardware on a crt over RGB...but it's dammed close, and infinitely more convenient.

*Insert Mrs. Doyle "maybe I like the misery" pic

Been zipping through old games at the moment with the help of retroarch. The trick is to pick a game and stuck with it.

Yeah the trick really is the time it takes between going 'oooh I wouldn't mind playing a game' to actually playing it. I'd say you setup is absolutely fantastic for that.

Any fiddling about with things and sure the night is gone before you know it! (that's what she said etc etc :pac:)

The glow of a crt, real scanlines, the sharpness of an RGB image....I think even the most hardened emulation proponent would agree that the real deal is the real deal...and emulation is just that, it tries to emulate that experience. It can only emulate it though. What it can offer as a tradeoff though, is convenience, ease of use (when setup is finished), and if the effort is put in, a really nice 'presentation' of gaming.

Everyone's case is different, but as someone who just wasn't lucky enough to have space for an in-use collection, I found myself buying, buying, buying, and more buying...just to put things in boxes & for the satisfaction of knowing I owned it. It was crap really, and once I realised I was collecting, and not playing, I came to terms with the the spacial limitations I had, and sold off a lot of the fat of my collection.

I'd still love a room with shelves of games & my hardware in active use, with two or three candies there for good measure...but it's likely not going to be ever possible for me. A what I would consider high-end emulation experience has thankfully filled that gap for me now, and I'm back to playing games again :)
    Been zipping through old games at the moment with the help of retroarch. The trick is to pick a game and stuck with it.

RetroArch is a hill I'll die on. It has transformed emulation for me forever. Though I will say this, I can't stand it as a frontend. It works amazing as a backend, but I'm not sure I could daily drive it as a frontend. That's where LaunchBox comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I just suggested emulation cos I don't think there's much point getting into collecting in 2020 unless you're die hard. It's got too expensive.

I much rather the real thing to emulation but ..eh. I've got a CRT & Mega Drive in my room I don't ever use it really, except with the kid occasionally. I think I'm probably interested in playing through old games I haven't played through before rather than revisiting things. I just like novel experiences really and that's more often coming from new indie games and such.

I just suggested emulation cos I don't think there's much point getting into collecting in 2020 unless you're die hard. It's got too expensive.

Consoles & common games are still within acceptable price ranges (seller dependent obviously). Some other less common games though, insanity. The whole "old=€€€" approach has taken a lot of the joy out of collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

With a few exceptions, only try to get what you'll actually have a bit of fun playing.

It's way too easy to get caught up in trying to get everything for one system or multiple systems. Every system probably has around 20 or 30 good games, add in another 10 or so for nostalgia sake, then call it a day.

It's also easy to get roped into the "OMG rarezzz" hype behind some stuff, even if it's no fun/nostalgia. There's an arcade game on eBay called Mad Shark that I never heard of, dude is looking for 1500 quid. There's that tickle of interest though "I want that just because!" But that's crazy.

Just look for a console bundle on eBay that has a lot of the games you're after, otherwise you'll be destroyed on individual prices and individual postage.

I'm enjoying the eurogamer best launch game series they are doing (even though I got set upon by Sony fanboys for saying f-zero is better than wipeout. The truth hurts bitches). They aren't just going for the obvious titles either. I mean sonic adventure is a steaming dog turd of a game but was a great launch title which looked better than anything else at the time and demonstrated the power and potential of the system even while you fell through the floor for the umpteenth time because the game's physics barely worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Powerstone was THE launch title for Dreamcast for me, Sonic Adventure is a lazy one to write about!

• Advertisement

Powerstone, rather than the bloated sequel, just such a superb game.
    I know they rereleased it on the PSP, but they stretched it out to 16:9 and it looked terrible.
    Did they do a decent port to anything else?

Advertisement