Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got an email off address pal. UK virtual addresses not allowed and home delivery only......unless you request to have it sent to your post office (very sneaky)

€6.50 now too for all UK items, plus the new charges.

****ing Brexit, it was nice while it lasted.

Hopefully within the next few months some shipping company will find another workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Big warehouse up north on the boarder, we can do a once a month A&R run :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    eBay already has a location option of the 'European Union' so come January I'd expect that all UK listings just not show up. For the past year-ish, sellers had an option to be included in the international shipping program, which Ireland has been lumped into as a destination. Up until now its just cost more in terms of UK->IE shipments but January expect auto-magic customs/duty costs to be added to the eBay invoice :/
    That would be great if it works like that, would be so annoying having to check every individual listing.

634616.jpg?b64lines=IFBvc3RhZ2UgZnJvbSB0aGUgVUsgd2lsbCBiZSAKIHNvIGV4cGVuc2l2ZSB0aGF0IG9ubHkKIHRoZSBmaXZlIHJpY2hlc3Qga2luZ3Mgb2YKIEV1cm9wZSB3aWxsIGFmZm9yZCBpdA==

Was already so annoying Japan hasn't brought back air mail / ems yet, it's couriers or sea mail only.
    Just got an email off address pal. UK virtual addresses not allowed and home delivery only......unless you request to have it sent to your post office (very sneaky)

€6.50 now too for all UK items, plus the new charges.

****ing Brexit, it was nice while it lasted.

Hopefully within the next few months some shipping company will find another workaround
    Was asking a friend about Address Pal and were telling me about the price hike, hadn't any email yet.
    Hoping there'll be a better way soon after January comes maybe it be a bit clearer on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Nice surprise considering they haven't released a new arcade shmup in (I think) 8 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,976 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Glad to see cave aren't dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sounds like it's just a 'director's cut' of DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou rather than a full new game, alas.

Master of the Universe

*Requires a JVS compatible arcade cabinet with a DVI-D input or a JAMMA cabinet (31kHz only) using a JVS IO board and a DAC.

Well it looks like I'll be spending that 6k on something else... :(

In all seriousness though, I must have a read up on that arcade hardware, know nothing about it. Seems to be a mobo type system where you can plug in 4 games?

MVS 4 slot for the 21st century?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭briany

I bought a refurbished GB Advance SP boxed with Zelda shell on Ebay. Going through DPD parcel wizard to save on shipping. Looking at the Parcel Wizard site, it says their virtual address is due to shut down on the 11th, in case anyone is using that service, just a heads up.

GBA games appear to be going for mad money these days. As well as that, many Japanese sellers are cottoning on to the fact that western buyers may buy the Jp version as a way to save money, and are therefore bringing their prices up. God be with the days when you could get Mega Man V (Rockman World over there) for under a tenner.

I think that if retro game prices keep on going up, there could be a market for just manufacturing the games again. If the only choice was to be between an old copy with an inflated price and a potentially shoddy repro, then an actual official brand-new copy of the game (without the mint price tag) would be a great option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,976 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Little things that get you through the lockdown:

Commenting on any rpgfan posts on Facebook that reference legend of dragoon and proclaiming it a dumpster fire. Then getting the popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not sure if this belongs in retro bargains or not , but theres a story bundle on retrogame books at the moment
    https://storybundle.com/games?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=greatesthitsgame
    $30 gets you 95! books , Either on the subjects of games or quite often a lot of develop interview , making of " sets
    YMMV some are HG101 compilations , but theres a few good ones in there
    some of them here
    535128.png

Those hg101 books are really good. Have a few of them. Not sure of the later ones are just article compilations or if they have been spruced up a bit? The older ones were all new content.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Those hg101 books are really good. Have a few of them. Not sure of the later ones are just article compilations or if they have been spruced up a bit? The older ones were all new content.
    They are good , but I've always thought of them as spruced up web content.
    The Stay a while and listen and untold history of japanese video games are great too

• Registered Users Posts: 1 riteshpatil732

Nice post. Thank you for sharing.

briany wrote: »
    I bought a refurbished GB Advance SP boxed with Zelda shell on Ebay. Going through DPD parcel wizard to save on shipping. Looking at the Parcel Wizard site, it says their virtual address is due to shut down on the 11th, in case anyone is using that service, just a heads up.

I think that if retro game prices keep on going up, there could be a market for just manufacturing the games again. If the only choice was to be between an old copy with an inflated price and a potentially shoddy repro, then an actual official brand-new copy of the game (without the mint price tag) would be a great option.
    Posted it 2 days ago but probably lost by now. Still deva, it's so handy, no email just saw it when I checked my credit.

I haven't bought much games lately but I know I'll get the odd ones for Christmas. Just not really looking but it is harder to get the bargins you used to, glad that I got a lot of stuff years ago. Having the PC now helps too I'm playing Jet Set Radio on there instead of setting up the Dreamcast.
    Hoping more stuff with come out again on Switch online too it's so handy to play the odd snes game.

Here's what I don't understand about Nintendo - they produced the NES and SNES Classic, which both sold very well, and then didn't produce any more. What is this weird love/hate relationship Nintendo has with making money? If something sells well, it would seem a no-brainer to make more of it. Also, why not a Gameboy classic? Pocket-style, maybe switchable backlight, 20 of the best games. Perhaps include the facility to link the consoles. More hot cakes for Nintendo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They seem to be pulling a bit of 90s Disney - not meant as a compliment :pac: Creating artificial rarity and a ticking time limit to try to maximise interest in a short period of time - you see it with the mini consoles and things like 3D All-Stars. Get profit quickly, and move on.

I’d also say it’s to somewhat control what’s available where and when. Nintendo always have a way to relaunch their old games as something ‘new’ no matter how widely available it’s been in the past. If they released Earthbound on the Nintendo Online service it would be a big deal and marketing moment for them, even though it’s hardly like it’s been hard to get as recently as the Virtual Console.

For the rest of the month, the ebook HG101 Retro Horror digest will be free at http://itch.io. Please consider donating to author Rob Strangman to help with his medical bills! http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/fundraiser-for-rob-strangman/

Incase anyone's interested

They seem to be pulling a bit of 90s Disney - not meant as a compliment :pac: Creating artificial rarity and a ticking time limit to try to maximise interest in a short period of time - you see it with the mini consoles and things like 3D All-Stars. Get profit quickly, and move on.

I’d also say it’s to somewhat control what’s available where and when. Nintendo always have a way to relaunch their old games as something ‘new’ no matter how widely available it’s been in the past. If they released Earthbound on the Nintendo Online service it would be a big deal and marketing moment for them, even though it’s hardly like it’s been hard to get as recently as the Virtual Console.

I wonder if Nintendo have adopted a similar strategy with their consoles since 2000. Release a console that's poorly supported, and then follow it up with one that defines a generation, i.e. Gamecube which wasn't well-supported as it could have been, then to the Wii which took over. Then the WiiU wasn't well-supported, and now the Switch has been dominant. It's like the Wii and Switch are comebacks of a sort for a company which never really went away, but did take a back seat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In fairness, I don't think they seek that pattern of market performance!
    They've rightly screwed me around with the Game and Watch, finally got back to me to say it was lost and they would send me a new one in two weeks, when they've stock again.
    Very annoying, seeing as I pre-ordered it as soon as it was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    New gpus out as well so it's a good time to upgrade. I'm looking to upgrade myself and it's a good time for a total rebuild because of all the new tech. Intel finally being challenged, ray tracing, fast ram and nvme ssds. I can see why pc upgrades are popular.

All the new tech is fantastic alright but availability is woeful and the pricing on CPUs and GPUs is a joke. That goes for last gen stuff too.

Speaking of new tech, how bloody cool are m.2 drives? So tiny and not needing any power or data cables is bloody fantastic. Also, sfx PSUs, why would you bother with atx I don’t know. Yep, I’ve been out of the pc tech loop for quiet a while. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Inviere

Andrew76 wrote: »
    All the new tech is fantastic alright but availability is woeful and the pricing on CPUs and GPUs is a joke. That goes for last gen stuff too.

Agreed, paper launches galore. I really want to build a 5800X & 3080 pc...but will happily wait until next year for availability to improve. Of course by then, the "but the new cpu/gpu is gonna launch in a few months" trap will be in full effect :rolleyes: There's ALWAYS something new about to be released, so I guess I'll just have to dive in and accept it!
    Speaking of new tech, how bloody cool are m.2 drives? So tiny and not needing any power or data cables is bloody fantastic. Also, sfx PSUs, why would you bother with atx I don’t know. Yep, I’ve been out of the pc tech loop for quiet a while. :pac:

m.2 is sweet, agreed. Drop the pcb in & forget about it, no wires, no nothing. Though be aware that there's m.2 sata, and there's m.2 nvme....BIG difference in speed (but in real world applications, it's not game changing.) As for power supplies, I always go ATX...but make a point of going fully modular. The reason being is that the larger fans inside them can afford to spin more slowly, & are therefore very very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I just finished emptying out two 125 sq foot storage lockers this morning of mostly retro bits and pieces. I've had them there way too long(years) and just never got to use most of it, so its gone to my garage now to actual get used/played/looked at :)
    Now I'm left with boxes and boxes of stuff I've no recollection of buying :)
    So a busy week ahead of sorting it out. Great thing is every box is like a Christmas pressie :D

The only thing that didn't survive perfectly was my Point Blank arcade machine. The base has come loose on one side so the whole thing is a bit lob sided and in need of repair(psu needs looking as well if I remember correctly). I'm selling that on anyway as its huge and I don't play it, so not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Now, will they just have Amazon.ie go to a varient of Amazon.de/fr etc.?

Amazon.co.uk notifying changes to EU customers
    As you have placed an order on Amazon.co.uk and selected an EU delivery address in the past, we wanted to let you know that from 1 January 2021, when the Brexit transition period ends, you’ll see some changes when you shop on Amazon.co.uk and select an EU delivery address. These changes could include:

- VAT (or the regional equivalent, if applicable, https://www.amazon.co.uk/vatrates) being due in the country of delivery, or your package may be subject to customs duties, taxes and fees (“Import Fees”)
    - the collection of VAT, or an estimation of Import Fees (“Import Fee Deposit” https://www.amazon.co.uk/ifd), which may result in a price change at checkout.
    Basically Amazon.co.uk will be like ordering from Amazon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye.
    Makes sense for them to collect duty, might even be cheaper than having to deal with AnPost handling fees etc, if they do that and use their own delivery drivers.
    Always have to be on the ball when ordering from the US, just have to factor it in now with the UK.

Or better yet, deal with .fr and .de

Master of the Universe

You've folks going on about climate change and cutting carbon emissions and now a huge amount of everyone's online shopping will be traveling from mainland Europe rather than just next door.

Such a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Be interesting to see what they do as I am a Prime member. Be a lot of cancellations I'd say.
    Mainly for the free Twitch sub and the Prime video is mediocre. Havent used prime reading at all though.

Big Amazon Brexit thread here :
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058137116/1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll stick with Prime as I have enjoyed some of it's content.
    That said, when buying from Amazon.co.uk starts getting more expensive, the only reason to shop there will be convenience.
    I imagine the shipping from the "mainland" Amazon outlets will be just as prohibitive.
    It will, as they say, be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll stick with Prime as I have enjoyed some of it's content.
    That said, when buying from Amazon.co.uk starts getting more expensive, the only reason to shop there will be convenience.
    I imagine the shipping from the "mainland" Amazon outlets will be just as prohibitive.
    It will, as they say, be interesting.

Agreed, Prime video has improved a lot in the last year.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if token is open/opening ?
    All their social Media is gone quite.

Advertisement