Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Radio5 wrote: »
    The reading texts from listeners sounds out of place, like they are filling in time and haven't the prep work done. it prompts the false 'chat' which is of no interest if one is tuning in for news and informed insights into the news stories of the day. I would not consider my or anyone else's favourite Christmas ad as a major news story.

I don't recall texts being such a feature in the past.

It's part of the dumbing down of the debate on current affairs in this country and worldwide. I don't want to hear listener's texts, I simply don't care what they think. There's enough radio shows doing it...could they not leave a few serious shows intact for grown-up's radio?

They had a piece last week about Ireland's ugliest buildings and the 2 of them were giggling like school kids every time they went back to it, all the time looking for more listener's texts. Who cares!

Social media has turned adults into ejjits and the MSM are running fast to join in. And we'll wonder in 10 years time why someone like Trump will be riding high in the polls here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

jay0109 wrote: »
    It's part of the dumbing down of the debate on current affairs in this country and worldwide. I don't want to hear listener's texts, I simply don't care what they think. There's enough radio shows doing it...could they not leave a few serious shows intact for grown-up's radio?

They had a piece last week about Ireland's ugliest buildings and the 2 of them were giggling like school kids every time they went back to it, all the time looking for more listener's texts. Who cares!

Social media has turned adults into ejjits and the MSM are running fast to join in. And we'll wonder in 10 years time why someone like Trump will be riding high in the polls here

Excellent synopsis J

Obviously the folk in RTE have decided to dumb down this show and let it lurch more towards ‘hairdresser’ radio.

This text us in bolloxology is what it is, try to give the impression that you have a say and can influence opinion.

Load of bulldust.... they will read out around two or three texts on each side of the argument usually from bots who are homed in on these issues.

Waste of time.

Also this false ‘banter’ that nobody believes is ‘spontaneous’ doesn’t fool anyone.

As the boy Jay rightly said, this prog has lurched badly into ‘hairdresser radio’ direction, in an attempt to woo ‘younger’ listeners but but will drive away those who want at least one programme with a bit of gravitas during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,968 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jay0109 wrote: »

Not getting the complaint about dumbing down tbh. But then I grew up in a time when the British Redtops (long before the 'Irish edition' were the most popularly read 'newspapers' here. Far more people engaged on different levels with politics here than 20 years ago IMO. Establishment parties are struggling to maintain vote share as a result.
    All presenters that ever were on radio weighted topics too depending on the importance they gave them personally.

Not getting the complaint about dumbing down tbh. But then I grew up in a time when the British Redtops (long before the 'Irish edition' were the most popularly read 'newspapers' here. Far more people engaged on different levels with politics here than 20 years ago IMO. Establishment parties are struggling to maintain vote share as a result.
    All presenters that ever were on radio weighted topics too depending on the importance they gave them personally.

“Struggling to maintain vote share”. Gotta be kiddin’ a chara.

The only opposition party couldn’t get near forming a govt, nobody would touch them with a barge pole.

You see votes are one thing, and only one thing, to use a soccer analogy, you can have most possession, most shots on goal, most corners, most passes completed, it if you can’t put the ball into the net you can’t win.

Lot of folk around these here parts would do well to dwell on that analogy.

You can shout and roar about statistics till the cows come home but until you learn how to score and win games you will be like ‘hurlers on the ditch’ -annoying folk who try to make their presence felt by giving the impression that they have all the answers.

Nah...... not how it works dude.

“Struggling to maintain vote share”. Gotta be kiddin’ a chara.

The only opposition party couldn’t get near forming a govt, nobody would touch them with a barge pole.

You see votes are one thing, and only one thing, to use a soccer analogy, you can have most possession, most shots on goal, most corners, most passes completed, it if you can’t put the ball into the net you can’t win.

Lot of folk around these here parts would do well to dwell on that analogy.

You can shout and roar about statistics till the cows come home but until you learn how to score and win games you will be like ‘hurlers on the ditch’ -annoying folk who try to make their presence felt by giving the impression that they have all the answers.

Nah...... not how it works dude.

Not interested in arguing party politics with you here Brendi, it's a 'radio' forum.

My point was that for a lot of the early decades of our state, engagement with politics was not encouraged. The 'state' broadcaster towed the party lines (the two main party's effectively) and the electorate were expected to listen...not answer back.

Now there is a new game in town, pontification and control of what we read, see and hear is no longer possible. The electorate can answer back. That has changed broadcasting just as it has changed politics.

Rather than the debate being dumbed down (it isn't) it has just moved and it is a more intense wide ranging debate. It just doesn't happen on RTE1 anymore and they are just adapting to keep market share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Excellent synopsis J

Obviously the folk in RTE have decided to dumb down this show and let it lurch more towards ‘hairdresser’ radio.

This text us in bolloxology is what it is, try to give the impression that you have a say and can influence opinion.

Load of bulldust.... they will read out around two or three texts on each side of the argument usually from bots who are homed in on these issues.

Waste of time.

Also this false ‘banter’ that nobody believes is ‘spontaneous’ doesn’t fool anyone.

As the boy Jay rightly said, this prog has lurched badly into ‘hairdresser radio’ direction, in an attempt to woo ‘younger’ listeners but but will drive away those who want at least one programme with a bit of gravitas during the day.

News at One is all that's left. Even Morning Ireland does the 'banter' thing and now we have the Queen of the fake (sports) banter, Aine Lawlor, there...all downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Text us now on 51551 with your suggestions for a name for the President’s horse. Followed by a lot of fake laughter between the presenters. Cutting edge alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I like it.

Wilson was like a panda on Prozac.

What does a panda on prozac look like. :confused:

She was effective in running the program and asking the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This Cormac lad Is a chip off the PBH block. A right pain in the left bollok

This Cormac lad Is a chip off the PBH block. A right pain in the left bollok

Anyone who stops Donnelly waffling and pontificating is a hero in my book. And Cormac did it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

imme wrote: »
    What does a panda on prozac look like. :confused:

She was effective in running the program and asking the questions.

She was ignorant in the extreme in my view and constantly spoke over people.

She was ignorant in the extreme in my view and constantly spoke over people.

Ignorant?

Should a drive time show be a place for lectures or uninterrupted speeches by politicians etc etc

Ignorant?

Should a drive time show be a place for lectures or uninterrupted speeches by politicians etc etc

Not at all, an interview of course needs to be structured and sometimes forceful.

But asking a question and then babbling over the answer serves no one.

Not at all, an interview of course needs to be structured and sometimes forceful.

But asking a question and then babbling over the answer serves no one.

She is still prone to it on TWIP on RTE1.

She is still prone to it on TWIP on RTE1.

She is Francie-I think it's just automatic at this stage.

She is Francie-I think it's just automatic at this stage.

I think some people mixing up their Mary Wilson's and their Aine Lawlor's.

Aine Lawlor presents The Week In Politics.

Correct...apologies. Both of them rudely interrupt though. Maybe they trained together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Correct...apologies. Both of them rudely interrupt though. Maybe they trained together. :)

And Audrey Carville and Rachel English and Claire Byrne and Sarah McInerney!

curioser wrote: »

So, all women :confused:

curioser wrote: »

Not too familiar with the output of the first two, but no I wouldn't say Byrne and McInerney are the same. Bynre is actually prone to allowing waffle and Sarah is more likely to allow latitude and then come back with a zinger question. Diferent styles altogether IMO

• Advertisement

I assumed he meant MI, or that she’d stepped in for Aine at some stage.

FTR, I don’t think Aine is half as bad.

Colm Brophy just tore McInerney out a new arse hole.

By avoiding the actual question he was asked and answering a different one that wasn't asked as was pointed out to him several times, same as he did when last on the radio.

You most certainly have a way with words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He's doing the rounds.

Clinical job done on Pádraig McLoughlin on Claire Byrne the other morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No one from rte was available to come on a show and talk about rte....on rte. Well, that's a new one anyway.

No one from rte was available to come on a show and talk about rte....on rte. Well, that's a new one anyway.

Let’s remember that when some of their high earning presenters try to pressure other folk to ‘come on air’ .

Let’s throw it back at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Claire Byrne said the same thing this morning - six hours later they still can't find someone to speak on it. Just how hard did they try?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

What was your favourite Christmas toy? Text us now on 51551. Dreadful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah now so a large portion of these images were uploaded voluntarily to online sites for monetary gain, now wouldn't one think that rte might have looked into this when the "story" was fed to them last week instead of running with the agenda.. RTE.... the truth matters

Advertisement