Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:):) Trying to defend Micheál...not going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,136 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If I was Cormo, I’d be worried .

McInerney on her own tonight has made a grab for it.

Tempo up, speaking much faster, interrupting much more, not letting interviewees finish.

Cormo, watch your back.

No joshing or ‘false bangs’. She’s moving at the pace of a woman who sees a prize.

Cormo..... get back to Montrose sharpish.

McInerney is on a trajectory, fair play to her, she'll get better gigs on merit alone

McInerney is on a trajectory, fair play to her, she'll get better gigs on merit alone

Nah, don’t quite agree, too aggressive, too abrasive, too one sided and too eager to try and make a name for herself.

Dogs in the street can see that

Who should she listen to to learn from....

Audrey Carville.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Nah, don’t quite agree, too aggressive, too abrasive, too one sided and too eager to try and make a name for herself.

Audrey Carville.

What happened with carville? Mcinerney made no bones about having a co presenter and her desire for a solo gig I’d put her ahead of Claire Byrne who I find very bland

• Advertisement

Good girl Sarah.... trying to choke off the MOH once he tries to say anything positive.

This country has the best record in Europe for handling this epedemic, but the media wants to concentrate on the negative.

Time to call these tossers out and address the issues as they are.

Fair play to Donnelly cutting out McInerney a new one.

Might put her back in her box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Fair play to Donnelly cutting out McInerney a new one.

Might put her back in her box.

Donnelly was woeful in that interview - Sarah was right to harp on about government indecision until Tuesday - Donnelly couldn't get off the line quick enough .

Infoanon wrote: »
    Donnelly was woeful in that interview - Sarah was right to harp on about government indecision until Tuesday - Donnelly couldn't get off the line quick enough .

All over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I'm a big fan of Sarah's. Love her direct, no nonsense interview style and her sense of humour (anyone remember her "ah jasus" moment). However I do see a potential problem if "guests" are reluctant to turn up for fear of a grilling. Can't see the RTE luvvies being too happy with that!

Mav11 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Sarah's. Love her direct, no nonsense interview style and her sense of humour (anyone remember her "ah jasus" moment). However I do see a potential problem if "guests" are reluctant to turn up for fear of a grilling. Can't see the RTE luvvies being too happy with that!

Doubt if Sarah could instill fear in anyone with their ducks in a row.

• Advertisement

So they know exactly what is going to happen in the next day?

Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

So they know exactly what is going to happen in the next day?

Do tell.

Actually does - he knew the numbers when being interviewed and knows the projections

Donnelly was woeful tonight - why so much negativity against Sarah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Doubt if Sarah could instill fear in anyone with their ducks in a row.

And rightly so. No waffle accepted from Sarah.

Actually does - he knew the numbers when being interviewed and knows the projections

Donnelly was woeful tonight - why so much negativity against Sarah ?

Info, the m.i. of Sarah is to try to confuse people with quick fire questions, not to get information for the public.

Does Sarah think by ‘flicking a switch ‘ that the Govt can shut down the country.Do listeners not understand that there are huge logistical issues and huge communication issues to be completed before such an action.

Donnelly is only part of the system, he can’t unilaterally, decide everything, hence his answers.

There are a lot of moving parts in these decisions , a lot of scenarios have to be considered, vested interests to satisfy, resources available, Xmas season, holiday period, so to keep harping about definite time frames and indeed anything definite from one cog in the wheel in a fast moving situation with multiple consequential knock ons, for me shows an ignorance of the situation we are in.

I hope that answers your questions.

I thought Donnelly handled the difficult situation very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Audrey Carville.

Who?

I’ve just listened back to that particular segment. I thought that Sarah asked the right questions, not in any “quick fire” way, and the Minister dealt with most of them reasonably well. But his explanation of why it took 5 days for cabinet to decide what action to take didn’t stand scrutiny, and she pursued this issue. She kept him focused on it, and not aggressively.

The text from Dooleys hotels set the problem out clearly. The notice that cabinet gives on Tuesday would be too late for the hotels to adjust their stock ordering for the week after Christmas and New Year.

For me, it beggars belief that Cabinet needs to mull over all the economic, societal and political issues any longer than a day or two at most - we are scarcely in new or uncharted territory. I realize, of course, that ministers won’t be sitting around this weekend doing nothing but it does seem to me that they could make a decision quicker and announce it on Sunday evening, so everyone can plan accordingly.

Minister Donnelly had no answer to that. And Sarah exposed that weakness.

I’ve just listened back to that particular segment. I thought that Sarah asked the right questions, not in any “quick fire” way, and the Minister dealt with most of them reasonably well. But his explanation of why it took 5 days for cabinet to decide what action to take didn’t stand scrutiny, and she pursued this issue. She kept him focused on it, and not aggressively.

The text from Dooleys hotels set the problem out clearly. The notice that cabinet gives on Tuesday would be too late for the hotels to adjust their stock ordering for the week after Christmas and New Year.

For me, it beggars belief that Cabinet needs to mull over all the economic, societal and political issues any longer than a day or two at most - we are scarcely in new or uncharted territory. I realize, of course, that ministers won’t be sitting around this weekend doing nothing but it does seem to me that they could make a decision quicker and announce it on Sunday evening, so everyone can plan accordingly.

Minister Donnelly had no answer to that. And Sarah exposed that weakness.

And there lies the problem Robert, it’s trying to achieve an objective with the minimum possible disruption whilst trying to satisfy all the vested interests.

It’s really a guessing game .I’m sure the Govt want to loosen things as much as possible for everybody..BUT...all depends on how the virus numbers perform and that depends on our behaviour.

The question then becomes one of who do you satisfy.

Do you ‘allow’ the populace some freedom to enjoy, the hospitality to get a few days of income, a brief return to normal

Or

Do you risk a situation where the Health Service is overwhelmed and people die in large numbers.

These are the grave issues to be considered and neither of them will satisfy everyone so deserve the greatest of attention.

So I can understand why Donnelly appeared somewhat circumspect and reluctant to give definitive answers.

You certainly show a much better understanding of the issues the some contributors here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,145 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find sometimes Cormac asks very difficult to answer questions just for the sake of it or else to make his interviewee uncomfortable.

He just had the head of the NTA on there, and basically said to her that surely there should be no buses or trains travelling from NI to the south given the rates inthe north for recent months.

As she rightly stated, that's not her decision to make, it a governmental one. But sure he appears to be asking difficult questions when in reality he is asking stupid ones.

He also said the new variant of CV19 was 7 times more infectious. Its actually 70% more infectious, not 700%. Would have loved to have the interviewee throw that one back at him.

That idiot O’hEadhra trying to throw flak at McGrath by not letting him answer.

McGrath needs to tell the guy to shut the fchukk up.

Obviously worried that McInerney may have got the advantage over the last few days

Fair Fcuking play to Wilson for tearing a new one out for that arrogant one McInerney

Got her hoop handed to her, pity more wouldn’t do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

That guy from Ryanair was very rude and aggressive in his responses. Fair play to the presenter for keeping her cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Tetchy interview there between Sarah and Wilson from Ryanair

Tristram wrote: »
    That guy from Ryanair was very rude and aggressive in his responses. Fair play to the presenter for keeping her cool.
    No he wasn't Sarah, of whom I'm a big fan, accused Ryanair on the national broadcaster of not giving customers refunds. This might be true but you can't accuse a company of this without having some evidence, she had no details when challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ryanair are a shower who don't give a damn about anything but the bottom line - well done Sarah!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Ryanair are a shower who don't give a damn about anything but the bottom line - well done Sarah!

Sure they are.

They know how to deal with Pat.

Pat expects to pay €9.99 for a flight and get treated like a king.

McInerney thought she could ride roughshod into an area she wasn’t competent in, got a guy who didn’t need to take that shït.

And he sank her .

No he wasn't Sarah, of whom I'm a big fan, accused Ryanair on the national broadcaster of not giving customers refunds. This might be true but you can't accuse a company of this without having some evidence, she had no details when challenged.

Evidence seems to be flooding in now. The guy was talking hot air, we knew it and Sarah knew it.

Evidence seems to be flooding in now. The guy was talking hot air, we knew it and Sarah knew it.

The guy did what anyone with a pair of nuts would do, take her apart.

Have you the full story Francie, the FULL STORY of these folk who are providing this ‘evidence’?

If so horse up the evidence here and as you are so keen on ‘backup’ yourself... hoy it up here.

Get it on, buddy.

The guy did what anyone with a pair of nuts would do, take her apart.

Have you the full story Francie, the FULL STORY of these folk who are providing this ‘evidence’?

If so horse up the evidence here and as you are so keen on ‘backup’ yourself... hoy it up here.

Get it on, buddy.

The Ryanair lad had no back-up either Brendi. I have evidence of my own here for two European trips in June and Oct. still awaiting refunds.

Sarah knew and I knew the guy was bluffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair Fcuking play to Wilson for tearing a new one out for that arrogant one McInerney

Got her hoop handed to her, pity more wouldn’t do the same.

I felt she “won the day” in the final exchange between them. She said she would send on details of ppl still awaiting refunds AND also send him on an ad he claimed not to have seen.

Overall mcinerny won that

• Advertisement

I felt she “won the day” in the final exchange between them. She said she would send on details of ppl still awaiting refunds AND also send him on an ad he claimed not to have seen.

Overall mcinerny won that

He tried to bully. If his job was to make Ryanair look good he failed miserably, if his job was to sound rude and arrogant he won.

Advertisement