Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

touts wrote: »
    Well on Friday they doubled down on neo-facist lunacy by having the right wing TD Veronica Murphy on to talk with Cormac about ferries. Of course the bold Veronica couldn't restrain herself and decided to use the opportunity of being left back on the airwaves to settle a grudge she had with the off air Sarah from years ago. That was never going to end well for poor Veronica when Sarah clearly rushed back from the toilet and slapped her back down. She'll be lucky to get mentioned again on RTE in the obituaries when she eventually shuffles off this mortal coil.

What the...! The interview was about the haulage industry and Brexit. I don't recall any "neo-fascist lunacy". Cormac brought up the Leo vote of no confidence and her history with FG. Yes, she had a dig at Sarah Mc but there was no slapping down...just a puzzled response.

Cole wrote: »
    What the...! The interview was about the haulage industry and Brexit. I don't recall any "neo-fascist lunacy". Cormac brought up the Leo vote of no confidence and her history with FG. Yes, she had a dig at Sarah Mc but there was no slapping down...just a puzzled response.

That's my recollection, Cormac brought the interview around to that area, and Sarah couldn't even remember saying it, which kind of reflected badly on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Carefully choreographed faux puzzled response in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

touts wrote: »
    Well on Friday they doubled down on neo-facist lunacy by having the right wing TD Veronica Murphy on to talk with Cormac about ferries. Of course the bold Veronica couldn't restrain herself and decided to use the opportunity of being left back on the airwaves to settle a grudge she had with the off air Sarah from years ago. That was never going to end well for poor Veronica when Sarah clearly rushed back from the toilet and slapped her back down. She'll be lucky to get mentioned again on RTE in the obituaries when she eventually shuffles off this mortal coil.

"neo-fascist" give it a rest.. I've heard her numerous times on the radio lately so this outing was hardly a return to the airwaves, anyway as a former head of the road hauliers assoc. I believe she had some insight into the subject at hand. As for Sarah she knew well to what Verona was referring but amnesia seems to have set in with her.. Disappointed with Sarah there actually

This one is not coming across well...not communicating this whole rich, famous tourist thing very well.

• Advertisement

This one is not coming across well...not communicating this whole rich, famous tourist thing very well.

Agreed, and the bolloxology that the two highly paid presenters are going on with not doing them any favours either.

Stupid redtop banter in my opinion

If they want that auld rubbish buy a subscription of HEAT.

This programme is sinking slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Mastermind for dogs starting in 20 minutes and seemingly warrants a slot in this prime time current affairs show. Dumbing down at a serious rate

amlinopta wrote: »
    Mastermind for dogs starting in 20 minutes and seemingly warrants a slot in this prime time current affairs show. Dumbing down at a serious rate

Going Redtop big time... losing its gravitas big time.

On the slippery slope........ big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I wish someone would tell Sarah McInerney to stop with her faux, exaggerated sighing. It’s blatantly clear it’s an affectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I wish someone would tell Sarah McInerney to stop with her faux, exaggerated sighing. It’s blatantly clear it’s an affectation.

She's making a fool of herself here. You can't change history, despite her wanting to shoehorn in a statue of a woman for the sake of it. Tokenism at it's best (worst).

• Advertisement

That intervention from Cormac about Fr Matthew was totally out of context .

Who in fuhherke s name though that was a good idea.

Incredible crap...... each presenter should be able to see out the interview, good or bad , gimps butting in with stupid interventions will bring this ‘show’ down quicker than a snowstorm in May

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RTE 1 radio has really gone South since the departure of SOR. I thought Sarah Mac was good in the interim and should have been kept there. Claire Byrne would be better on Drivetime.

But sure no one will listen to little ole me, they just put out their hand for the license fee.

It is not perfect, but I listen to the Hard Shoulder now. Rarely listen to RTE 1 anymore. But that's just me.

Claire Byrne,
    A bit of oul muzak
    Lunchtime news (not bad but not great either)
    Joe Drone the death merchant
    The porridge eating runner from Kildare
    Sarah and Cormac show.

Great line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭rodders999

As none of the people being put forward for commemoration for those statues identified as an onion ring I am equally as (faux) outraged as Sarah.

She was an embarrassment throughout that segment.

RTE 1 radio has really gone South since the departure of SOR. I thought Sarah Mac was good in the interim and should have been kept there. Claire Byrne would be better on Drivetime.

But sure no one will listen to little ole me, they just put out their hand for the license fee.

It is not perfect, but I listen to the Hard Shoulder now. Rarely listen to RTE 1 anymore. But that's just me.

Claire Byrne,
    A bit of oul muzak
    Sarah and Cormac show.

Great line up.

All their JNLR listenership figures are up. I hope RTE realise that's mostly because more people are at home during the recent 'lockdowns' and just have the radio on...almost background noise.

Lots of us disappointed at the sh1t show RTE radio is becoming.

All their JNLR listenership figures are up. I hope RTE realise that's mostly because more people are at home during the recent 'lockdowns' and just have the radio on...almost background noise.

Can you believe those figures..... I find them strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Claire Byrne,
    A bit of oul muzak
    Sarah and Cormac show.

Great line up.

Imv Claire Byrne should not be next or near what was once a serious news programme. She possesses neither the gravitas, incisiveness or depth of knowledge for serious current affairs discussion. Her natural home is in a magazine type format and she should be compensated accordingly for that. She's an average presenter simple as that promoted far above her competence

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

She's making a fool of herself here. You can't change history, despite her wanting to shoehorn in a statue of a woman for the sake of it. Tokenism at it's best (worst).

Completely unnecessarily combative interview

Can you believe those figures..... I find them strange.

Have you a link for latest JNLR thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Imv Claire Byrne should not be next or near what was once a serious news programme. She possesses neither the gravitas, incisiveness or depth of knowledge for serious current affairs discussion. Her natural home is in a magazine type format and she should be compensated accordingly for that. She's an average presenter simple as that promoted far above her competence
    Couldn't agree more. Totally out of her depth. When it comes to current affairs, for me, the best around is Pat Kenny. Knowledgeable and incisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

shes very good looking though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Aine Lawlor has been doing it for decades , no one stopped her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Agreed. Sad to see a once great radio station sinking fast into obscurity.

jelutong wrote: »
    Agreed. Sad to see a once great radio station sinking fast into obscurity.

I call it "habit listening".

Best thing ever is the Tunein radio app. Found some great programs from all over the world there, and stuck with a few of them too. RTE is up against it now.

I know it's not radio but their Player is dire also. Not that I watch RTE tv either much, but then again I can record it if I want to and zap through the ads. But I rarely do.

LBC radio (UK) have a brilliant catch up app. You can zap the ads. I know the RTE radio app allows you to listen section by section, but I never find anything of interest in the list so I sail on by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    shes very good looking though
    Well, that's a moot point. Being easy on the eye does appear to be a considerable advantage for those seeking employment as current affairs presenters with RTE. This applies only to female candidates, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Easy on the eye but hard on the ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The JNLRS come with a caveat - firstly the figures are year on year and secondly there was no figures for April,May and June so 9 months of figures were extrapolated out to 12 months.

JNLRS don't include podcasts afaik or online listening which has exploded in other jurisdictions during lock down.

As for the show - it is best with CorMac and Sarah being serious, the invented chat between the two of them is nauseating

• Registered Users Posts: 66,909 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Infoanon wrote: »
    The JNLRS come with a caveat - firstly the figures are year on year and secondly there was no figures for April,May and June so 9 months of figures were extrapolated out to 12 months.

JNLRS don't include podcasts afaik or online listening which has exploded in other jurisdictions during lock down.

As for the show - it is best with CorMac and Sarah being serious, the invented chat between the two of them is nauseating

I agree with the last bit. Super radio when they are in investigative dog with a bone mode. Will take time and a bit of latitude to get the balance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

The reading texts from listeners sounds out of place, like they are filling in time and haven't the prep work done. it prompts the false 'chat' which is of no interest if one is tuning in for news and informed insights into the news stories of the day. I would not consider my or anyone else's favourite Christmas ad as a major news story.

I don't recall texts being such a feature in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Sarah McInerney voice is unbearable and not suitable for broadcasting, what was once a reasonably good programme is now a joke. Come back Mary Wilson all is forgiven !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

monseiur wrote: »
    Sarah McInerney voice is unbearable and not suitable for broadcasting, what was once a reasonably good programme is now a joke. Come back Mary Wilson all is forgiven !

I like it.

Wilson was like a panda on Prozac.

Advertisement