Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Ryanair lad had no back-up either Brendi. I have evidence of my own here for two European trips in June and Oct. still awaiting refunds.

Sarah knew and I knew the guy was bluffing.

Francie, Sarah got out of her depth when the crocodile bit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I felt she “won the day” in the final exchange between them. She said she would send on details of ppl still awaiting refunds AND also send him on an ad he claimed not to have seen.

Overall mcinerny won that

A major problem with both hosts’ interviewing style is the fact that we even talk about who “won” and who “lost” an interview. That’s tabloid nonsense and fine if you just want entertainment. But this a flagship drive time current affairs show that’s supposed to inform, not just provide bread and circuses

• Registered Users Posts: 67,212 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie, Sarah got out of her depth when the crocodile bit back.

You like you bullies telling porkies Brendi.
    Carry on.

He tried to bully. If his job was to make Ryanair look good he failed miserably, if his job was to sound rude and arrogant he won.

If his job was to say it as it is and cut through the fcukkery he was being hit with.......

Right down Main Street............

Pity others would’t come back at these people like this guy.

Top marks from this poster.

Pat needs to realise reality, €9.99 wouldn’t get you a serious pair of jocks in Marks.... Pat expects the ‘Aaah shure’ tactic to cover everything.

Time to take these cosseted tossers on and cut the shackles off interviewees.

You like you bullies telling porkies Brendi.
    Carry on.

Jaysus Francie:D

That auld ‘telling lies’ bulldust is beyond even you.

So 1990s.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Francie:D

That auld ‘telling lies’ bulldust is beyond even you.

So 1990s.

He was telling lies in this house Brendie, just finished adding the 'evidence' that he was to Sarah's pile of proof that she said she'd send him.
    let's see if he comes back on when he gets it to bully and bluster some more.

Loads of huzzah from yourself no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jaysus, the world has really ended - FrancieBrady and myself in agreement. :D

A major problem with both hosts’ interviewing style is the fact that we even talk about who “won” and who “lost” an interview. That’s tabloid nonsense and fine if you just want entertainment. But this a flagship drive time current affairs show that’s supposed to inform, not just provide bread and circuses

Excellent summing up Bobby.

That’s the problem in a nutshell. O’hEadhra,back after a break, tried to ride Michael McGrath into the ground , in my opinion to try to recoup some lost ground from McInerney as the ‘attack dog’.

Fair play to McGrath he held his council and performed very well, without losing his composure.

Then on comes McInerney and tries to fillet Wilson from FR.

Different dog here, didn’t lie down ,spancelled by anyone .

Bared his teeth and cut McInerney a new one as she was well out of her depth.

The usual suspects came out from under their slates claiming “bullying” but
    Of course they totally ignore the fact the ‘bullying’ was just a guy not lying down and being taken for a patsy by someone trying to make a name for herself.

People , we need to really understand the goings on and not be taken in by stults only out to promote their incompetence.

Bad decision to make Drivetime a dual presentation prog.

Uhmmmmmm......";)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That’s the problem in a nutshell. O’hEadhra,back after a break, tried to ride Michael McGrath into the ground , in my opinion to try to recoup some lost ground from McInerney as the ‘attack dog’.

Fair play to McGrath he held his council and performed very well, without losing his composure.

I don't usually listen to this show but for some reason I had it on this evening. That was a terrible interview from O’hEadhra, ended up turning it off and I can't see me tuning in again.

Needlessly aggressive and then asking a second question when the McGrath hadn't had any time to even attempt to answer the first question.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't usually listen to this show but for some reason I had it on this evening. That was a terrible interview from O’hEadhra, ended up turning it off and I can't see me tuning in again.

Needlessly aggressive and then asking a second question when the McGrath hadn't had any time to even attempt to answer the first question.

Correct, exactly as I saw it, pity you didn’t listen to McInerney and Wilson .

I’d like to hear what you thought about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Different dog here, didn’t lie down ,spancelled by anyone .

Bared his teeth and cut McInerney a new one as she was well out of her depth.

Having listened back to the interview it is very obvious that Eddie Wilson didn't like the questioning about the Ryanair last chance to fly ad and the questioning about the refunding.

Sarah Mc Inerneys strength is to listen to the response and not move onto the next question if the response given is waffle. Wilson got tetchy and Sarah did get a few digs in at the end which may be considered unnecessary.

Sarah did her job - Wilson did his but wasn't happy when Sarah brought it off course.

The suggestion that Sarah was out of her depth is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Have to agree that McInerney was cut a new one this eve....Ryanair the most successful airline in Europe and headquartered in Ireland where their execs all pay tax at local rates with no offshore sh1te .

They came on to publicise a good news story ...which the presenter was obviously not interested in ...instead she went on the attack re refunds ...small wonder Wilson got a bit tetchy.

Sure..... the refunds were a bit of a minefield ..but if you followed the procedures you got your refund ...as this poster did ...with v.little red tape.

As a previous poster said the prob with Ryanair is that Pat expects VIP treatment on a 9.99 flight and I've lost count of the amount of air headed young ones who think they can rock up to the check out and turn on the taps when they is charged for excess baggage.

Mc Inerney taught she could fillet the Ryanair Dude ....but got back more than she bargained for ...and about time too. !

Mc Inerney taught she could fillet the Ryanair Dude ....but got back more than she bargained for ...and about time too. !

Please explain? - what I heard was Wilson spoofing a reply - Sarah knew it and bit back

Price of Ryanair flights is a fair point but nothing to do with refunds and questionable advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Infoanon wrote: »

Sarah Mc Inerneys strength is to listen to the response and not move onto the next question if the response given is waffle.

I’m not going to get into to the “who won” and “who lost”nonsense, but I disagree with this assessment of McInerney’s interviewing style. She often asks a question and when the guest develops a perfectly reasonable exposition of their position over a couple of sentences you can hear her become audibly impatient (mutters of “OK” and “let’s move on”) that the response isn’t sufficiently clickbaity.

That’s not listening to the response and not moving on if the response is waffle - that’s setting out a strategy for dealing with the response before you’ve heard it.

Having listened back to the interview it is very obvious that Eddie Wilson didn't like the questioning about the Ryanair last chance to fly ad and the questioning about the refunding.

Sarah Mc Inerneys strength is to listen to the response and not move onto the next question if the response given is waffle. Wilson got tetchy and Sarah did get a few digs in at the end which may be considered unnecessary.

Sarah did her job - Wilson did his but wasn't happy when Sarah brought it off course.

The suggestion that Sarah was out of her depth is ludicrous.

Incorrect, McInerney got chewed out a new one.

Obviously thought she could fillet this guy and like the spancelled lads and lasses from Govt.who need to keep their teeth covered, this lad was a free range operator and didn’t have to defer to the national broadcaster.

He could bare his teeth and did it with gusto.

Bit off way more than she could chew on this one and fair play to Wilson for sinking her.

Not a great fan of FR but one thing I admire about them is they don’t give a fuuherke about what anybody thinks about them, they know that price is king and don’t entertain the ‘Aaah Jaysus...I forgot the........whatever’.
    cretin who thinks the auld stupid grin and plawmás will see him through.

The frikken flight was €9.99 buddy.. what do you want...gold service.

Incorrect, McInerney got chewed out a new one.

Obviously thought she could fillet this guy and like the spancelled lads and lasses from Govt.who need to keep their teeth covered, this lad was a free range operator and didn’t have to defer to the national broadcaster.

He could bare his teeth and did it with gusto.
    And got bitten back !

You are entitled to your opinion but in this listeners opinion you are very much wrong.

And got bitten back !

You are entitled to your opinion but in this listeners opinion you are very much wrong.

And are you, so rather than as others do try to dance on the head of a pin I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Of course there will be other spats which may reinforce either point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

CatFromHue wrote: »

Was listening on the way home from work and thought the Cormac v Michael McGrath interview was totally agressive, petty and ego driven by Cormac.

He seemed to just want to rip him apart but thought McGrath was composed and cool. Not always the biggest fan of FF or the government but he had a pretty sensible attitude abd got in some good points. Better than Stephen Donnelly who seems committed but veres off into management speak.

The host was constantly making interruptions and putting the worst slant on everything almost accusing them of ignoring NEPHETs advice from Thursday while ignoring they have gone for an earlier main lockdown on 26th instead of 28th.

Its just amazing then to hear the same host sympathysing with small business/pub owners/arty types and suggesting the government is taking away their livelihoods.

But I suppose it is easy to be so critical by an organisation some of whose stars dont follow the basic Covid guidelines themselves.

On the Ryanair interview more in the middle on that. Sarah was agressive but Eddie Wilson equally so. Guess tbere wss some spoofing in there but he probably thought he would get positive coverage with restoring flights from Shannon and operating the repatriation flights "at no cost to the srate'. She jumped on the other issues pretty smart though.

Cant help but think back to the RTE coversge when Aer Lingus got a commercial contracr to bring PPE back from China abd there was gushing coverage on the news, pilots on the Late Lare Show etc. And Aer Lingus seem to be dropping their flights from Shannon.

I like both airlines and use both. I have got my refund from Ryanair abd still waiting on the Aer Lingus one from earlier. Conor Pope in the Irish Times has repeatedly said that Aer Lingus have many more complaints about their refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

Clon63 wrote: »
    Was listening on the way home from work and thought the Cormac v Michael McGrath interview was totally agressive, petty and ego driven by Cormac.
    Completely agree. McGrath is very unflappable, which made him look even more petty and aggressive. I don't think I could listen to it regularly.

The last few posts seem to be suggesting that these big companies and politicians should be allowed to set the agenda themselves when they come on. A lot of deference there.
    Not what I expect from a robust journalistic show tbh, each to their own.

• Advertisement

The last few posts seem to be suggesting that these big companies and politicians should be allowed to set the agenda themselves when they come on. A lot of deference there.
    Not what I expect from a robust journalistic show tbh, each to their own.
    No, it's just the faux outrage and intoned "Really??" exclamations make it very hard to listen to.

Contrast with Claire Byrne who is giving M Martin a reasonable grilling right now, in a fairly even tone.

plodder wrote: »
    No, it's just the faux outrage and intoned "Really??" exclamations make it very hard to listen to.

Contrast with Claire Byrne who is giving M Martin a reasonable grilling right now, in a fairly even tone.

I think she is backing off him tbh. One or two questions short of a proper robust interview.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Robust journalism involves letting people make their answer and then asking intelligent questions based on that answer.

This didn't happen in the interview with McGrath.

I think she is backing off him tbh. One or two questions short of a proper robust interview.
    I think some people are less interested in the content being relayed - more to see interviewees just being given a hard time for the sake of it. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Clon63 wrote: »

He seemed to just want to rip him apart but thought McGrath was composed and cool. Not always the biggest fan of FF or the government but he had a pretty sensible attitude abd got in some good points. Better than Stephen Donnelly who seems committed but veres off into management speak.

The host was constantly making interruptions and putting the worst slant on everything almost accusing them of ignoring NEPHETs advice from Thursday while ignoring they have gone for an earlier main lockdown on 26th instead of 28th.

Its just amazing then to hear the same host sympathysing with small business/pub owners/arty types and suggesting the government is taking away their livelihoods.

But I suppose it is easy to be so critical by an organisation some of whose stars dont follow the basic Covid guidelines themselves.

On the Ryanair interview more in the middle on that. Sarah was agressive but Eddie Wilson equally so. Guess tbere wss some spoofing in there but he probably thought he would get positive coverage with restoring flights from Shannon and operating the repatriation flights "at no cost to the srate'. She jumped on the other issues pretty smart though.

Cant help but think back to the RTE coversge when Aer Lingus got a commercial contracr to bring PPE back from China abd there was gushing coverage on the news, pilots on the Late Lare Show etc. And Aer Lingus seem to be dropping their flights from Shannon.

I like both airlines and use both. I have got my refund from Ryanair abd still waiting on the Aer Lingus one from earlier. Conor Pope in the Irish Times has repeatedly said that Aer Lingus have many more complaints about their refunds.

Agree 100%
    Both Cormac and McInerney came across as amateurs, out of their depth dealing with lads who are professionals at their game.

I think some people are less interested in the content being relayed - more to see interviewees just being given a hard time for the sake of it. Each to their own.

Not true...I would expect and interviewer to do their job and not to allow specious waffle and PR self promotion. That is the realm of other programmes where the person behind the office is the focus.

Not true...I would expect and interviewer to do their job and not to allow specious waffle and PR self promotion. That is the realm of other programmes where the person behind the office is the focus.
    https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1341688284238536704

Also, Martin throwing Cilian de Gascún under the bus in relation to virus genome sequencing.

What did Cormac get out of Michael McGrath?

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1341688284238536704

Also, Martin throwing Cilian de Gascún under the bus in relation to virus genome sequencing.

What did Cormac get out of Michael McGrath?

What has anyone gotten out of McGrath? That is his style...speak plenty and actually say nothing.

What has anyone gotten out of McGrath? That is his style...speak plenty and actually say nothing.

Like Ms O’Reilly then, is he.

Man after yer own heart so Francie.......

• Advertisement

Like Ms O’Reilly then, is he.

Man after yer own heart so Francie.......

I don't be on here whinging when a Shinner gets a grilling Brendie...spot the difference here? If a Shinner got the grilling the Ryanair chap got or McGrath, you'd be on here gloating about how the Shinner got 'torn a new one'.

Other may not be able to see through your political protectionism dressed up as radio criticism, but I can.

Advertisement