Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hamachi wrote: »
    Grand. At least you own your ignorance and myopia. Good lad.

The f*ck are you even on about youre the one who's living arrangements didnt work out for them not me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The f*ck are you even on about youre the one who's living arrangements didnt work out for them not me

Sorry, but you’re making sweeping statements about the entire country, without seemingly knowing anything about life outside Dublin. For that matter, you don’t appear to understand the geography of your own city very much. Ignorant and myopic, wouldn’t you agree?

Indeed.

Yes, pointing out willful ignorance is on par with branding non-Dublin people as ‘scavengers’ and using the ‘Sharon’ analogy to describe his neighbors.

Ok then

Ok then

You’re welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sigh.
    This thread seems to have degenerated past any useful discussion, unless someone has something interesting to add this will be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It comes down to non Dubs with a sense of superiority moving to a part of Dublin they can afford and not liking having to mix with people of similar affluence, they're lumped in with what they consider people of a lower class than them and foreigners.... They don't like that and brand the whole city and the suburbs a "kip".

Of all the people of different ages I know that moved to nice areas of Dublin from other parts of the country, 100% of them love the city and where they live, they wouldn't live or raise their families anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The only people I know that want to leave Dublin just have a love for the countryside. Has nothing to do with Dublin specifically, they just want to live in a more rural setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

VonLuck wrote: »
    The only people I know that want to leave Dublin just have a love for the countryside. Has nothing to do with Dublin specifically, they just want to live in a more rural setting.

I came back to Dublin 4 years ago after 13 years in Aus.

I came back with 20K in the bank I am now 20K in debt due to rents and cost of living, scarcity of work (I used to earn 6 figures in Aus).

I've given Dublin everything I have. Nothing has worked out here - work, relationships, lifestyle (Covid notwithstanding), general happiness etc.

I've decided to go back to Aus at the end of the year when it's a tad easier to do so re. Covid (I hope).

I'm excited to go back but somewhat sad that I feel I am being forced into it due to the hardship it is to live in Dublin in your 40's, single and an artistic freelancer.

It's impossible to live in Dublin unless you are married/cohabiting with a partner, have a full time office job and savings in the bank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Melbourne would be more expensive than Dublin No? Are you comparing like with like?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Melbourne would be more expensive than Dublin No? Are you comparing like with like?

Neither Melbourne nor Sydney are more expensive to live in than Dublin.

Buying a house is as expensive, but renting is cheaper than here for both cities and you get paid more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

Lesalare wrote: »

I came back with 20K in the bank I am now 20K in debt due to rents and cost of living, scarcity of work (I used to earn 6 figures in Aus).

I've given Dublin everything I have. Nothing has worked out here - work, relationships, lifestyle (Covid notwithstanding), general happiness etc.

I've decided to go back to Aus at the end of the year when it's a tad easier to do so re. Covid (I hope).

I'm excited to go back but somewhat sad that I feel I am being forced into it due to the hardship it is to live in Dublin in your 40's, single and an artistic freelancer.

It's impossible to live in Dublin unless you are married/cohabiting with a partner, have a full time office job and savings in the bank.
    This is my fear also. While I am married, we do have a place in Dublin already...BUT I am terrified of leaving here and ending up unhappy in Dublin.

We have discussed this together. She would have to give up her job and I would have to settle into travelling again. The question is could we afford it in the long term? Obviously we could if we sold some assets.

We have yet to discuss this with the kids, who I am sure wouldn’t have a problem.

While I miss home immensely, I am not sure that living there again would be beneficial to us. The main draw is my family (herself is very close with mine as she has none left)..

I’m sorry to hear your situation and completely understand ireland is not the country of opportunity for all...wish you well in your decision.

Neither Melbourne nor Sydney are more expensive to live in than Dublin.
    Buying a house is as expensive, but renting is cheaper than here for both cities and you get paid more.

https://www.domain.com.au/level-4-27-margaret-street-rozelle-nsw-2039-14999869

That's what you get in Sydney for 1,387.19 euro per month.
    In a gorgeous village full of gourmet food shops, little restaurants, bars etc. and a 10 min taxi ride into Sydney CBD....

and in Melbourne for 1,248.14 euro per month:
    https://www.domain.com.au/22-19-23-izett-street-prahran-vic-3181-15034942

This is what you get in Dublin in a comparable area (although Donnybrook is not half as nice as location in first link) for same price.

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/flat-111-morehampton-road-donnybrook-dublin-4/2836632

Whilst Dublin may have not worked out for you, it works out for hundreds and thousands of people that live in stunning areas with amazing amenities in and around the city. I freelance in the creative sector too, I bought a house on my own and now am in my 40's living coastal with lots of cafes and restaurants.

Ones failure in a city doesn't make that city a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I have to ask, did you check if there were job opportunities here before coming back? I moved to Dublin because I knew there were jobs there for me.

I don't see how you can blame Dublin for relationship woes. What's the link there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'd be slow enough to sell that property until the mortgage is done. When you retire it can be a handy pension or if yoh have kids a place for them to stay if they go to college

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Whilst Dublin may have not worked out for you, it works out for hundreds and thousands of people that live in stunning areas with amazing amenities in and around the city. I freelance in the creative sector too, I bought a house on my own and now am in my 40's living coastal with lots of cafes and restaurants.

Where did I say Dublin is a 'kip'?

VonLuck wrote: »
    I have to ask, did you check if there were job opportunities here before coming back? I moved to Dublin because I knew there were jobs there for me.

I don't see how you can blame Dublin for relationship woes. What's the link there?

I know I'll get work back in Sydney/Aus for reasons I don't really want to go into here.
    I've had some good times back in Dublin but overall I know for what I do career-wise and what I want long term out of life, I'll get it easier there than I will here.

I'm not interested in turning this into a slagging match between the 2 cities.

Edited to say I misread your OP. Apologies.

Yes I did have work lined up here when I returned but a lot of it turned out to be false promises.
    I have done some good work here but it's too sporadic as the industry I have now learnt, just isn't big enough here for what I do and the standard I was doing it at in Aus. I also find there are various fundamental issues in the way in which parts for my particular industry works and I feel I am better suited to a city where said industry is a lot larger.

Where did I say Dublin is a 'kip'?

You didn't, but you're blaming the city on all your woes. I mean realistically, 20k in your back pocket in your 40's, surely a property purchase could somehow have been worked out instead of spending it and then getting in to the same amount in debt?
    These things don't happen overnight.

You didn't, but you're blaming the city on all your woes. I mean realistically, 20k in your back pocket in your 40's, surely a property purchase could somehow have been worked out instead of spending it and then getting in to the same amount in debt?
    These things don't happen overnight.

When you return to Dublin you can't get a mortgage until you can show 3 years worth of accounts here. When the work which I was promised didn't eventuate, I had to use savings to live here. I didn't start getting work it turned out for over 6 months.

Anyway please don't misquote me purporting that I have said something when I did not.

I wouldn't be the first and I won't be the last person to say that Dublin is an incredibly hard place to live in your 40's if you are on your own trying to pay rent and save. I think you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you try to convince me or anyone else otherwise.

I've no interest anymore in looking to live in a place such as the one I posted a few posts back for the best part of 1400 euro a month. Different if one could save here but it's impossible seeing as the average take home pay is approx. 2.2K per month.

Things work for you here - great! Delighted for you.

They don't for everyone else. It's not a personal dig at you.

Also I am not blaming the city. I'm disappointed that my home town is run the way it is - esp. re rental market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

couldnt agree more, getting tired of the postings on twitter blaming government and landlords for the housing situation when its clear its down to personal situations and folk having ideas above their station. Its a great city but like anywhere you need to work your way up the ladder in property and jobs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

s8n wrote: »
    couldnt agree more, getting tired of the postings on twitter blaming government and landlords for the housing situation when its clear its down to personal situations and folk having ideas above their station. Its a great city but like anywhere you need to work your way up the ladder in property and jobs

There are 2 types of people. There are those who prioritise owning a property and are willing to do it incrementally over time by buying what they can afford and suffering commutes before trading up and those who value their time too much and rent at high prices while hoping to be able to afford to buy in their area of choice at some stage.
    Many of the latter get stuck in rental long term. That is the difference between this generation and the pre crash generation. Personally I lived in some god awful places (Edenderry for example) but now because of that I can live where I actually want to.
    I guess my point is that sacrifices have to be made to get where you want to go. Some people are not willing to make those sacrifices but expect the same outcome.

Some people are not willing to make those sacrifices but expect the same outcome.

Fully agree. If you feel there is a means to an end you put up with sh*t to better the your end outcome. However people generally do that if they are content and happy with other factors surrounding their living situ - lifestyle etc etc...

If I was happy with other factors in my life here, I would put up with a lower standard of housing. However I'm still not sure how one is supposed to save a deposit for an apt or house here unless they move into a bedroom with 6 others or share with a stranger.

There are also a lot of people in Ireland who have never lived abroad for a lengthy period of time and have nothing to compare their situation to others.
    To a lot of people Ireland is the be all and end all over everywhere as they haven't actually experienced life anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This reminds me of nyt articles, people write about leaving new York, it happens in every city, people over 30 or 40,
    write i,m tired of paying high rent to live in a small flat,
    Many people in the arts sector on low pay aresaying its not
    worth it rents are too high
    Its gets more expensive every year to buy a house
    And by the way there are also crinimals and junkies in rural towns too
    Many writers and artists can work anywhere as long as they
    have broadband
    So it's not necessary to live in a city
    I think it's good that dublin is more diverse with people
    living here from many country's

There are 2 types of people. There are those who prioritise owning a property and are willing to do it incrementally over time by buying what they can afford and suffering commutes before trading up and those who value their time too much and rent at high prices while hoping to be able to afford to buy in their area of choice at some stage.
    Many of the latter get stuck in rental long term. That is the difference between this generation and the pre crash generation. Personally I lived in some god awful places (Edenderry for example) but now because of that I can live where I actually want to.
    I guess my point is that sacrifices have to be made to get where you want to go. Some people are not willing to make those sacrifices but expect the same outcome.

You don't have to suffer a commute, there are affordable places in Finglas, Coolock etc. Many people just wont live in areas that are traditionally working class. That is what I did, and my mortgage is very manageable.
    I understand that I'll never be able to afford to live in Sandymount or Clontarf, and that's fine, so I try and make the most of what I have.
    When I lived in London all I could afford was a sh*tty apartment in a rough part of South London, but I still think London is the best city in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You don't have to suffer a commute, there are affordable places in Finglas, Coolock etc. Many people just wont live in areas that are traditionally working class. That is what I did, and my mortgage is very manageable.
    I understand that I'll never be able to afford to live in Sandymount or Clontarf, and that's fine, so I try and make the most of what I have.
    When I lived in London all I could afford was a sh*tty apartment in a rough part of South London, but I still think London is the best city in the world.

Yup, I live in D7 a walking distance from town, house prices have jumped here a bit but still have a nice family home that would cost 2x if it was in one of the areas you mentioned like Clontarf.

Yup, I live in D7 a walking distance from town, house prices have jumped here a bit but still have a nice family home that would cost 2x if it was in one of the areas you mentioned like Clontarf.

I think a lot of people get disgruntled with Dublin because they'll never be able to afford to live in the really nice areas, and it turns out they're better off living wherever they are from in Ireland or moving out to the sticks and commuting.
    The experience of living somewhere they don't want to live blemishes their view of the city. Fair enough.
    I don't think there are many booming cities in the world though where you can move and live in the sought after areas unless you're on serious money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

• Advertisement

She's interested in sustainability so she moves to a one off mansion, rightio.
    Fair play to them but I would hate to have a massive house miles away from everything.

Advertisement