Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Hamachi

vriesmays wrote: »
    That's like saying Shamrock Rovers are in a different league to Finn Harps. Our colleges are too dumbed down and feminised to be world class. The next Jung won't have studied psychology in Maynooth. Smart school-leavers move abroad to continue their education.

Did you ever attend an Irish university? I’ve studied engineering here and abroad, in a country known for excellence in that field. The Irish university (UCD) was at least on par with its counterpart abroad.

I don’t know anything about arts / humanities courses. Your comments may have some relevance there. It’s not true for the hard sciences.

I don't think your university has any significant influence on your future. They will all get you a start somewhere - and I don't believe there's any real difference between the standard of education you'd get in Maynooth vs Trinity or UCD.

It’s not so much the standard of education. It’s the caliber of the students who populate the courses. I’ve tutored students in a regional university in a past life. There was a material difference in the quality of their work vs. my peers in a Dublin university. To be honest, I was a bit surprised at the poor quality of the work I was seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    One of the head guys in a place I used to work would only hire people from Blackrock college

And did you feel bad getting the job ahead of others more deserving?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,091 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would agree with you that there is little difference in the content but there are companies (such as google) that will only hire from what they consider elite universities so of you want certain jobs then where you went to school is important.
    Also there an alma mater bias from Trinity and UCD graduates in many employments.

Definitely. I'm a country lad and ended up at TCD via a public school, and as much as I hated the place, it has helped me get jobs that I may not otherwise have got - in Ireland and abroad. I only let on I hated the place and the snobbery and all that bollocks after I got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

retalivity wrote: »
    Definitely. I'm a country lad and ended up at TCD via a public school, and as much as I hated the place, it has helped me get jobs that I may not otherwise have got - in Ireland and abroad. I only let on I hated the place and the snobbery and all that bollocks after I got the job.

What did you hate about Trinity? I suppose there was a clique from the Dublin private schools?

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »
    That's like saying Shamrock Rovers are in a different league to Finn Harps. Our colleges are too dumbed down and feminised to be world class. The next Jung won't have studied psychology in Maynooth. Smart school-leavers move abroad to continue their education.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F12PIT4DOj6Tgek%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Anyway, leaving that guff aside, Ireland beyond Newland's Cross has improved immeasurably since I was a young man, thanks mainly to satellite TV and better (albeit patchy) broadband.

But it is still Ireland beyond Newland's Cross. Fantastic to visit, and many genuinely brilliant people to meet. But still under the wrong influences, and not somewhere you'd necessarily want to put down roots if you were, for example, gay, trans, or non-Catholic. And, ironically, still not somewhere you'd want to find yourself if you're getting older and in need of decent healthcare. Dublin's secondary medical care might only be League of Ireland standard, but League of Ireland standard is something the rest of the country can't even manage.

Will be out of dublin for good in a few months

Dont leave hating the place, its been good to me and my career and altho ive had a few unpleasant experiences- mainly related to being based around dolphins barn for a few years- and the rent paid in that time would be running to six figures, all in all its a great town and I'll be back often enough im sure

But given what my mortgage is buying me an hour away vs the quality of life id have with the same spend in the city, it was a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

To all the people calling Dublin a kip and dying to leave. Please leave quicker. We can’t wait to see the back of you. Place is over populated. In fact we wouldn’t even be able to type these messages on this forum if it wasn’t for Dublin.
    The only normal place on this island, good ****ing riddance you scavengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Would like to know how many ppl in this thread are non-Dublin Irish vs. outright immigrants like myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,091 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    What did you hate about Trinity? I suppose there was a clique from the Dublin private schools?

Yep, that. And the course. It was a STEM subject but had a lot of theory and irrelevant nonsense and not much hands on work. I stuck it out to get my degree, and used it to open doors, but had to basically learn everything from scratch in the jobs i went in to. Dont remember ever using anything i actually learned there in a work capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Lived in Dublin for about 35 years Blanch and North County. Like most here great place for college education and getting started in your career. Good for social life and gigs too. Left for a big house with land in the sunny south east just before COVID started mainly because house was too small and couldn’t afford a decent size one in a decent area in Dublin.

In hindsight it’s a total blessing we missed lockdown in a small house in Dublin. Dublin is ok for with small kids with lots of parks, play centres, zoo etc but on a bad weather day you need space at home for them. During the good weather the bad neighbours also seemed to make their presence felt with parties & really loud music. Here the main noise is from agricultural machinery in the distance.

Overall I’ll never live in Dublin again. The kids might when they grow older for college etc but we’re all happy in the countryside now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

dubrov wrote: »
    And did you feel bad getting the job ahead of others more deserving?

Me? I didn't go to Blackrock college (thankfully). It was another section of a large company I worked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

To all the people calling Dublin a kip and dying to leave. Please leave quicker. We can’t wait to see the back of you. Place is over populated. In fact we wouldn’t even be able to type these messages on this forum if it wasn’t for Dublin.

Anyone thinking that the population of Dublin is going to shrink haven't a clue what's going on.

The new Irish are talking over at an alarming rate and give it another few years it wont be just the country people who will be leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

mgn wrote: »
    Anyone thinking that the population of Dublin is going to shrink haven't a clue what's going on.

The new Irish are talking over at an alarming rate and give it another few years it wont be just the country people who will be leaving.

Same thing is happening in every capital city in the world.
    I have two foreign neighbours on either side of my house and both have done more for me and my family than any Irish person has. Their kids are lovely and also have Irish accents and are extremely friendly. Meanwhile Sharon smokes in her pyjamas at her free apartment, hasn’t worked a day in her life in the apartment complex across the way.

Also when we leave, where are we going to go? Some secret leprechaun island. Get a grip. The world is changing. Embrace it or live being a scared racist.

Yes population isn’t going to shrink I was being slightly sarcastic. But I’d take my neighbours any day of the week over the GAA sheep shagger tbh.

very badly veiled racist post!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yes, let's drop the racist rubbish please. It is possible to have a discussion without sinking to that level

I have two foreign neighbours on either side of my house and both have done more for me and my family than any Irish person has. Their kids are lovely and also have Irish accents and are extremely friendly. Meanwhile Sharon smokes in her pyjamas at her free apartment, hasn’t worked a day in her life in the apartment complex across the way.

Also when we leave, where are we going to go? Some secret leprechaun island. Get a grip. The world is changing. Embrace it or live being a scared racist.

Yes population isn’t going to shrink I was being slightly sarcastic. But I’d take my neighbours any day of the week over the GAA sheep shagger tbh.

Good for you, what do you think of the Green Party's own door accommodation after 4 months for asylum seekers out of interest.

bubblypop wrote: »
    very badly veiled racist post!

Funny how the posters that know nothing about racism or never experienced racism themselves are always the first to call other people racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

Funny how the posters that know nothing about racism or never experienced racism themselves are always the first to call other people racist.

There are plenty of threads in CA you can post in, this isn't about race

• Advertisement

MODS: Not going there with the ethnicity angle, but calling out the false and incredibly disingenuous dichotomy set up in this ridiculous post.

‘Sharon’ is in no way emblematic of Irish people, the majority of whom are very decent and hard-working. You don’t get to make statements like that, without being called out.

The reason many people are looking to leave Dublin is to reduce their interaction with less desirable characters, some of whom are native to this city and island, others who have arrived here in recent decades. It’s all about surrounding yourself and family with people of a similar mindset who value core fundamentals like education, hard work, and a peaceful, cohesive community.

In fact we wouldn’t even be able to type these messages on this forum if it wasn’t for Dublin.

Aren’t you just delightful?

Clearly the insightful opinion of somebody who has never ventured beyond Newlands Cross.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Racism & bigotry is not exclusively towards foreign nationals, we shouldnt need to be explaining that.
    There has bern a lot of bigitry on this thread not just in the last couple of pages.

funny how posters who know nothing about other posters assume that they know them personally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Hamachi wrote: »
    It’s not so much the standard of education. It’s the caliber of the students who populate the courses. I’ve tutored students in a regional university in a past life. There was a material difference in the quality of their work vs. my peers in a Dublin university. To be honest, I was a bit surprised at the poor quality of the work I was seeing.

Yeah maybe so but I've worked with people from almost every university in Ireland and don't think there's any difference in the standard of their work. Some might have to slog a bit more but otherwise it is a similar standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Two families of "New Irish" in my cul de sac (de bleedin' blacks!) and they're lovely. Also have Moldovans and Bulgarians, they're friendly and nice. I way prefer it this way to some monocultural hinterland.

Two families of "New Irish" in my cul de sac (de bleedin' blacks!) and they're lovely. Also have Moldovans and Bulgarians, they're friendly and nice. I way prefer it this way to some monocultural hinterland.

You think that doesn’t exist outside Dublin? No cul-de-sacs with foreign neighbors?

If I’m not mistaken, you’re the bright spark who claimed earlier that the entire population of Dublin lives within 5kms of the coast?

When restrictions ease, you really should consider purchasing a bus or train ticket and venturing outside Dublin. You might actually learn something outside your own myopic little milieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No thanks it's Dublin or bust for me

No thanks it's Dublin or bust for me

Grand. At least you own your ignorance and myopia. Good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Grand. At least you own your ignorance and myopia. Good lad.
    Aren’t you just delightful?

Indeed.

Advertisement